The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke McAllister

5 posters

Go down

Luke McAllister Empty Luke McAllister

Post by red_stag Thu 15 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

Is it just me or does this guy just belong in NH rugby. After a fantastic period at Sale, he seemed a bit out of sorts upon returning to New Zealand. After failing to make the RWC 2011, he's headed off to Toulouse and looks to be a superb signing for them already, slotting in seamlessly.

Really impressing me so far, looks one of best signings even at this early stage. He only turned 28 a few weeks ago and is by no means a failed All Black - he's got 30 caps for New Zealand. I'd love to have seen Munster sign him over Toulouse. When talented 12s are a scarcity this guy is a gem.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Luke McAllister Empty Re: Luke McAllister

Post by yappysnap Thu 15 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

Agree with all of this.

Maybe some of it is the weight of expectation in NZ? He definitely seems more relaxed at Toulouse. Maybe that's why his game has got back on track.

Also in NZ didn't he have to cover 10 a lot and play a very kick orientated game plan for the Blues. I imagine 12 for Toulouse is a pretty nice place to be with the quality of players surrounding you and he doesn't have to kick either.

Of course some people may try and point to 'lesser competitions' etc as the reasons.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 15 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

yappysnap wrote:Agree with all of this.

Maybe some of it is the weight of expectation in NZ? He definitely seems more relaxed at Toulouse. Maybe that's why his game has got back on track.

Also in NZ didn't he have to cover 10 a lot and play a very kick orientated game plan for the Blues. I imagine 12 for Toulouse is a pretty nice place to be with the quality of players surrounding you and he doesn't have to kick either.

Of course some people may try and point to 'lesser competitions' etc as the reasons.

Kicking? The Blues?

The Blues had a poor season, and McAllister was tried at 10 as Brett wasn't setting the world alight, but Luke wasn't much better. He was apparently pretty poor for North Harbour at the start of INL Cup, but I suspect his mind was already on the plane North.

His return to NZ was quite badly blighted by injury, as well as being in a Blues side that's performed erratically since 2003 when Graham Henry was last involved

I'll be nice and not say "lesser competition", how's about "competition depleted by players away at RWC" Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

That's very kind of you Kiwi. We are very precious about our comps up here. Smile

TBH I can see the appeal of a sunny Toulouse compared to a wet and windy Auckland, if I had the choice I know where i'd go.

There are some parallels here between Mccalister and Rocky, both look amazing in the NH comps, both go back home and suffer injury and form problems. But Luke has come back after being dropped, will Rocky??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

Rocky has gone to the Waratahs.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

How long for? If he loses his Oz place i think it's likely we'll see him return here.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:20 pm

Two years I think. But he's back at his team. He was with the Waratahs over 5 years before heading to Leinster. I think he'll be fine.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 15 Sep 2011, 5:24 pm

I remember wanting McAllister to come to Munster before the 2007 WC. I think we took the right option with Dougie! He still could be great and I hope he gets his head together at Toulouse we wouldn't mind him at Musnter though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

McAlister is a class act, I thought he had a pretty impressive Super 15 and can't have been too far from a NZ shirt (Bet he curses SBW!).

He'll have a bit of an armchair ride at Toulouse whilst the WC players are away, not many sides can boast of Poitrenaud and Jauzion in their backline. The real challenge will begin when the stars begin to return from NZ, I don't think McAlister is a natural 10 and much more suited to 12 so it'll be interesting to see where he settles.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down