The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who do you want to win?

+4
hogey
eddyfightfan
Dass
paperbag_puncher
8 posters

Go down

Who do you want to win? Empty Who do you want to win?

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:27 am

It seems the vast majority can't see past a Flyod victory at the weekend but who will you be routing for and why?

I was on the fence a few weeks ago. I've always liked Ortiz (even after the Maidana fight) but Mayweathers a great and its a pleasure to watch him. I'm not one for following an underdog and usually like watching a world class athlete proving their excellence time and time again. Love to watch the likes of Messi tear your Arsenals apart or watch Nadal battering Murray over and over. However, i'll be definitely be cheering Victor come Saturday night.

I've found Mayweather even more tedious and boring in the build up to this fight and am a bit sick of his rehashed 24-7s at this stage. Yep he has problems with his father, has lots of money and rolls royces and can work the pads well. Then he has the cheek to say hes bored of hearing the same sob story from Ortiz over and over...

A Mayweather loss may derail any potential Pacquaio fight and will certainly take the gloss of it. However, I think that ship has sailed. Manny looked to have slowed down a bit and struggled to look good against Mosley's tactic of keeping his hands up and taking a step back and I'd worry for him against PBF. So I would be willing to sacrifice that fight at this stage to see Flyod have his ass handed to him. Unfortunately Ortiz probably isn't the man for the job.

Who do you want to win and why?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Who do you want to win? Empty Re: Who do you want to win?

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

Whilst a Floyd victory obviously keeps alive the possibility of the Superfight with Manny, I'm quickly reaching the stage where I couldn't give two shiny Poopie if they ever fight one another. It's about as interesting as these Twitter wars between that tool from N-Dubz and whoever he's fallen out with this week.

However, the thought of the distinctly average Ortiz being the man to dethrone Floyd is one that makes my blood run cold. Therefore, I have to side with Mayweather as the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

I'm a fan of Floyd in the ring and for that reason I'd want him to win this fight. The possibility of a Pac fight being kept alive isn't really much of an incentive for me, its got to the stage if it happens good otherwise I can live with it.

Yet Dave raised a great point, its the thought of him losing to Ortiz that leaves the worst taste in my mouth at the prospect. It would be a sad way for Mayweather and his undoubted talent to go out against a fighter who I don't think is any great shakes. At least if he lost to Pac it would be against another all time great fighter and would be fitting to his legacy.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

personally the posibility of a gamboa/donaire fight has taken over in fights i'd most like to see. so with that in mind i hope ortiz wins and JMM wins and both manny and floyd lose a small fortune once the stock of both fighters drops, just so they learn a lesson, and all the other boxers as well that superfights are what the public wants, but they will lose interest eventually. not likely though, but if any one is to beat floyd, i'd like it to be amir khan.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

I want Ortiz to win, whilst i accept Mayweather is a great fighter i simply dont like him and want to see him flat on his back. I have a feeling that there could be an upset as well, although i know Mayweather has been a different league than Ortiz all his career but i cant help thinking that the 18month layoff and fact his fighting a naturally bigger, younger and more powerful fighter who will have huge hunger to cement himself among the elite might make this a real battle that might blow up in Floyd's face.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:08 am

If you love boxing, then I can only see people (except those connected to Ortiz) wanting a Floyd win. Yes outside of the ring he has issues and mostly of his own making, but he ability to reduce other quality fighters into sparring partners is nothing short of artistic. I know it was never going to be a close fight but his performance against the late Atruro Gatti is still one of my favourite performances to watch.

Ortiz is young and considered the bigger puncher and stronger of the two, but if both perform to their abilities then I see a very interesing schooling performance being handed out by Floyd.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:20 am

the reason i would like floyd to lose and manny is that if the best two are not going to fight each other, then i would like the division to be shaken up, with new top dogs and new challagers

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

mikeymax71 wrote:If you love boxing, then I can only see people (except those connected to Ortiz) wanting a Floyd win.

With respect mikeymax thats utter crap, sports fans always cheer for those they like and do the opposite to those they dont like, its the nature of being a fan. Next you will be telling me i dont love football because i dont want Man Utd or Arsenal to win inspite of the pretty football. I like the underdog especially when i got him at 16-1 for a KO between rds 4-6 Wink

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

I always like to see the best in the world hit the heights only they can, and so I will be hoping for a Floyd win, but also one where he looks good and not a faded fighter.

Others have said, and I agree, it would be a shame for him to lose his 0 to Ortiz, being a fighter that clearly can't hit the levels Floyd has previously.

It will be interesting to see what Mayweather looks like now, skill-wise and stamina wise. I'm sure he's weighed up risk and reward and still expects a win here...I just hope his skills remain undiminished and we can savour a great performance.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 1:17 pm

hogey wrote:
mikeymax71 wrote:If you love boxing, then I can only see people (except those connected to Ortiz) wanting a Floyd win.

With respect mikeymax thats utter crap, sports fans always cheer for those they like and do the opposite to those they dont like, its the nature of being a fan. Next you will be telling me i dont love football because i dont want Man Utd or Arsenal to win inspite of the pretty football. I like the underdog especially when i got him at 16-1 for a KO between rds 4-6 Wink

Maybe I should have been clearer in my staement. I am speaking as neutral rather than as a fan of either fighter and in any sport when someone performs on a level that is out of this world like Messi, Pele, Ali et al then you want to seem them perform and should they come off second best then it would be against opposition of similar standing.

If Ortiz was a huge underdog like Buster Douglas (I know Floyd is the clear favourite but that are arguements for him to lose such as ring rust, too old, fighting a big puncher after getting hurt in his last fight, where as Buster was literally a no hoper in the eyes of everyone) was for instance then I would accept that a lot of neutrals would root for him

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by GerardMcL Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

Floyd - the longer we get to watch perhaps the greatest defensive fighter the sport has produced the better.
Like or loathe his personality/attitude there can be no denying his skills. The man is a joy to watch.

GerardMcL

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

Just read a few articles on the Ring website. Mayweather, his uncle and some guy called Llembre or something are vile animals. I haven't even started with FMS.

For that reason, I hope Ortiz finishes him.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum