The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Team

+7
andy powells minder
welshy824
flyhalffactory
wales606
Smirnoffpriest
Cymroglan
RubyGuby
11 posters

Go down

Wales Team Empty Wales Team

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:21 pm

Wales team to play Samoa in World Cup Pool D in Hamilton on Sunday (Kick-off 4.30am BST)
J Hook (Perpignan); G North (Scarlets), J Davies (Scarlets), J Roberts (Cardiff Blues), S Williams (Ospreys); R Priestland (Scarlets), M Phillips (Bayonne); P James (Ospreys), H Bennett (Ospreys), A Jones (Ospreys), L Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), AW Jones (Ospreys), D Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), S Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), T Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: L Burns (Newport Gwent Dragons), G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), B Davies (Cardiff Blues), A Powell (Sale Sharks), T Knoyle (Scarlets), S Williams (Scarlets), L Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues).
thumbsup

The Wales coach Warren Gatland has named an unchanged team for Sunday's World Cup encounter with Samoa in Hamilton. Gatland has predictably retained the side that pushed the world champions South Africa to the brink of defeat in Wellington last weekend.

But one switch on the replacements' bench sees a potential return to action for the Cardiff Blues prop Gethin Jenkins, who takes over from Ryan Bevington.

The British and Irish Lions Test loosehead Jenkins has not played for Wales since they faced New Zealand in Cardiff 10 months ago. A calf muscle injury has sidelined him throughout this year, but Gatland opted to select him in his 30-man World Cup squad given Jenkins' proven pedigree and vast experience of 76 caps.

The 30-year-old has trained with the squad this week and his presence considerably enhances Wales's front-row options as they approach their pivotal Pool D games with Samoa, Namibia and Fiji.

The 17-16 loss to the Springboks means Wales are now in a knockout situation, knowing another defeat would effectively rule them out of contention for the quarter-finals.

But Gatland will hope Wales can reproduce the quality of their display against South Africa, when big-name players such as Jamie Roberts, Mike Phillips and the captain Sam Warburton all delivered world-class performances.

Last edited by RubyGuby on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Wales Team Empty Re: Wales Team

Post by Cymroglan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:22 pm

Continuity is good but this time it's imperative we come away with a result.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:22 pm

Same team, glad to see it. Bit disappointed that Stevo isn't on the bench, reckon we could do with his experience in the final 15mins but Gats must really trust in these guys.

Hope they can put in as good a performance as they did against SA, but this time with a much, much better result!

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

you can't argue with keeping the same team after the performance against the boks but I would have liked to have seen Brew or Halfpenny in the team and Stevie on the bench. But these are little things and it looks like a strong team and fingers crossed Jenkins can get some gametime and start getting back to his best.

Dewch Ma'n Cymru!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

Bench looks pretty decent as well thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Stephen Jones isnt on the bench because Hook covers 10, with Halfpenny covering 15.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

The bench does look a lot better (though it would look even better with Turnbull/Tupric in there instead of Powell)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Thats about the team I would have picked, perhaps with some more robust defenders in your back three, would have like 1/2p to have started (but I can see the risk of bringing him in at 15 for such an important game). I am worried for you after Steyn's oh so easy try last week, gracious if there was ever a moment to have Stoddart, Barry Davies, or even an on form Byrne. You need Hook/Williams/North to crank it up this weekend.

You are going to face
15 Williams (Stade Fr) 6' 2" 15st 6lb
14 Tagicakibau (Lon Ire) 6' 3" 15st 10lb
11 A Tuilagi (Leicester) 6' 1' 18st 8lbs

and thats just the back three!

Are you to assume that Byrne is injured?............. or just off form?

The key for a Welsh victory is your front 5, control the set pieces and you will prevail.

All the best guys, I am sure you can nick this one
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

Phillips needs to get into their face and at the same time keep his own aggression under control.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

flyhalffactory four of our backs are 16st + so they should give as good as they get.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

Cymroglan wrote:flyhalffactory four of our backs are 16st + so they should give as good as we get.

Understand that buddy, but they will have enough on their plate without having to worry about your last line of defence

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 16 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

Wales will probably wear black arm bands tomorrow due to the sad events unfolding in Pontardawe - The team and Gatland have sent their condolensces - Good luck to all in that area, a tragic event - god bless OK

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:31 pm

I hope this time they use the bench and not just B.Davies, a fresh pair of legs and a quicker scrum half against a tired Samoa might work well.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

tuilagi vs north will be interesting- feel sorry for tuilagi though Wink

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 16 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Wales will probably wear black arm bands tomorrow due to the sad events unfolding in Pontardawe - The team and Gatland have sent their condolensces - Good luck to all in that area, a tragic event - god bless OK

Totally agree, all our thoughts are with those who are suffering today.

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:10 pm

Cymroglan wrote:flyhalffactory four of our backs are 16st + so they should give as good as they get.

Roberts, Davies North and.....?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:11 pm

North counts as two anyway doesnt he?

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:14 pm

Gatts wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:flyhalffactory four of our backs are 16st + so they should give as good as they get.

Roberts, Davies North and.....?

Mike Phillips But depends what stats you look at

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 16 Sep 2011, 5:22 pm

Good team. Played extremely well against South Africa so it makes a lot of sense to go for continuity. The Namibia game gives Wales the chance to rotate the squad.

Don't get preoccupied about the size of their backs. Wales have big backs as well and better footballers throughout the side. Wales are better drilled and will have the stronger and more techical scrum. The Welsh defence will give Samoa nothing like the space that the Namibians did. Apples and oranges.

Wales to win by 10 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:09 pm

I must say i am very suprised that Gatland as picked the same team again.
I know that continuity is a good thing, for the team and the players.

I would of thought that Gatland would of rested some players and gave others a chance.

It as been said that if Wales lose this week end they could well be out of the RWC. If that is true then i can understand why Gatland as picked the same team.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:16 pm

I think Samoa will adopt the same tactic as SA in defending very tight to prevent Wales getting the ball wide, except they aren't SA and i expect our back 3 to have a much more productive day at the office

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 16 Sep 2011, 9:54 pm

A bit disappionted Bryne is not in the team I can only assume he is playing poorly in practice or injured. Why only take one fullback to the RWC who has not been in the best of form and then replace him with Hook? Hook showed his class against England and had a very good game against Argentina, in both games Wales had little ball unlike SA game. The bench looks better this week with more experience, I see no point in putting S Jones on the bench as stated above as we have better cover for 10 on the park.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm

Gatts:

I agree with you, we will not get so punished by kicking and not hitting touch, I felt we kicked too much against SA, throwing away possession as they kicked it back with interest. If we are going to kick, we must hit touch and our wings must chase, against SA AWJ was the first Welsh player to a long kick from Hook!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 16 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

We definitley need to find touch on our kicks...Sam back 3 will tear us a new Samoan sized a hole

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down