The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prizefighter the pro's and con's

+2
TopHat24/7
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
6 posters

Go down

Prizefighter the pro's and con's Empty Prizefighter the pro's and con's

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:05 pm

Source: Boxrec

The ever popular Prizefighter returns to Bethnal Green`s York Hall tonight before yet another sell out crowd and a live Sky TV audience as eight light-middleweights contest the 20th event.

But despite the fans parting with their cash and Sky continually enjoying competitive viewing figures the line up (at least on paper) doesn`t quite set the world alight.

Little known Wayne Goddard is the tournaments highest ranked competitor but only comes in at number 32. Billed as the chief attraction is former WBU title holder Takaloo who turned professional in 1997 and with 33 bouts is by far the most experienced fighter in the line up. However, there should be some caution and cause for concern given the fact he only returned to the ring in a warm up bout two weeks ago after retiring following a stoppage defeat to former British champion Anthony Small in January 2008. And despite his recent record which reveals four defeats in his last eight bouts, the 35 year-old Margate-based Iranian starts as the favourite.

Outside of Takaloo even the boxing die-hards would have a challenge in being familiar with the rest of the line up apart from JJ Bird who hit the big screens in Big Brother or Jeff 'SOB' (Son of BoxRec) Thomas.

However, there are four undefeated men in Peter Vaughan 3-0-1, Wayne Goddard 9-0, Kris Agyei-Dua 3-0 and Nick Quigley 7-0.

Innovators Thomas and Steve Harkin got their chance courtesy of fans using social network site Twitter to campaign for their inclusion. Bird 6-5-2 and Thomas 9-6-2 are the only other two who have more than 10 professional outings but possess poor form and large gaps of inactivity.

Peterborough`s Bird returned to the ring earlier this month for the first time in two and half years and has lost four out of his last five bouts while back in March Thomas having his first match for almost five years could only manage a draw against an opponent with one career win in 11 fights (though the verdict was rounded viewed as very harsh to Thomas - Ed.).

The domestic 11st scene has Ryan Rhodes leading the way followed by former Prizefighter winner and now British champion Prince Arron, while Jamie Cox claimed the Commonwealth crown last week in a highly disputed decision. All three men would probably consider entry a backward step posing greater risk than reward as they envisage far more lucrative opportunities.

One can see the challenge Matchroom faces in maintaining the quality mix of the prospects and the proven without diminishing the wider credibility of the sport as this format is heavily targeted towards the casual boxing fan with a limited knowledge of the fight game. From its inception in April 2008, Prizefighter has catapulted winners Martin Rogan, Sam Sexton, Martin Murray and Gavin Rees towards domestic titles while Audley Harrison landed a now widely-derided shot at then WBA heavyweight champion David Haye.

Former world champions Herbie Hide, Robin Reid and Junior Witter have all unsuccessfully attempted to use Prizefighter as the fast track vehicle back to the top while unknowns Patrick Mendy and Rock Fielding have been sped into the spotlight despite their professional inexperience.

British super-featherweight champion Gary Sykes became the first domestic title holder to enter Prizefighter in November 2010 but was knocked out by eventual winner Gary Buckland and next month's super-flyweight edition will see British ruler Lee Haskins attempt to succeed where Sykes failed.

The tournament will only attract title holders in divisions where big pay and better prospects don`t come too easily and it is a sad state of affairs when a British or Commonwealth titlist struggles to earn a purse equal or better than Prizefighter due to their minor pulling power.

Added to that are the promoters and managers who are reluctant to guide their fighters into the competition which is understandable if they are already being paid well or are on target for a title shot.

While Prizefighter does offer opportunity and quick fire excitement, I am not taken in by some of the hype that creates a false perception rather than giving a reality check. I would welcome Matchroom seriously considering the long term prospects of some entrants already past their best, even if is considered they `make’ good TV.

Understandably Takaloo may be confident as he has fought at a superior level to his rivals but what would it say for the lower end of the 154lbs division? And if he were to triumph tonight would he realistically pose a serious challenge to Rhodes or Arron?

Prettyboykev says: I would like to see it with just prospects in it. Guys like Witter and Takaloo just take a spot that could go to a young up and comer. I used to be a fan but I'm not so much any more the standard of fighter is shocking.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Prizefighter the pro's and con's Empty Re: Prizefighter the pro's and con's

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:22 pm

Um, this was on last night, stand-in/reserve fighter won it. Actually a great night's boxing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm

I know it was last night I was more interested in people's thoughts on the concept and whether it had run it's course.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 11:49 pm

Ah ok sorry, couldn't tell reading it on my phone where an article finished and you started. I enjoyed last night, the format is settled n has a few rounds left in it. But I don't think it's inexhaustible, it will tire eventually, but not quite yet...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:01 am

It is aimed more to the casual fan so a so call 'name' fighter is always going to be used to try and attract a bigger Market. Personally I enjoyed the first few, but my interest was weaned somewhat. Only caught the last two fights last night due of the football, but found them quite entertaining. Think there is still alot of life in the format yet, the crowds don't seem to be diminishing and I doubt it costs Sky much to broadcast it.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:03 am

It gets about 3x their normal SFN viewings so still has plenty of life. Last night's was really good actually, normally leaves me telling myself I wont watch it again.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:08 am

Prizefighter is for people who get the job done in 9 minutes. My mrs reckons I should go on there mad

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 17 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

Am sure Danny Williams was the first British title holder to enter Prizefighter?

I think Prizefighter need to have the old experience boxer with a name to tout the tournament and generate some interest.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down