The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have England ever had a summer this good?

+4
guildfordbat
trebellbobaggins
Liam_Main
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
8 posters

Go down

Have England ever had a summer this good? Empty Have England ever had a summer this good?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:41 am

Test series against the (at the time) 1st and 4th ranked sides won
Won ODI series against both world cup finalist teams plus the win over Ireland
Won all ( ok just 2 so far) T20 games against good sides
On an unbeaten streak of 12 games (just one tie) across all formats (discounting the rained off one)

Unbelievable. Whlst the ODI series agaisnt India has been played by severly depleted teams (especially the Indians) the level of dominance this summer has been a suprise and a real turn around from previous years where success in one format is generaly followed by a flump in another.
Its hard to deny that England are a good side now.

Whlst its stll nowhere nearthe legendary Aus teams losing games is going to be hard to take now!

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Have England ever had a summer this good? Empty Re: Have England ever had a summer this good?

Post by Liam_Main Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

We just need to deliver at World Cups now, that will be the biggest test for us.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Have England ever had a summer this good? Empty Re: Have England ever had a summer this good?

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 18 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

You know i think this summer has uncovered the biggest failing in English Cricket, and something the BBC has talked about, the complete failure to engage English Indians in English cricket.

You see a match involving India, even where they are losing every time, and the english Indians flood to the game. They're a cricket loving people

And yet you look at normal games in T20, pro 40 , county day in day out on Sky and they just aren't there at all. Why not when they love the game? Obviously they don't feel any attachment at all to England. Can that ever be changed? The Irish, French, Eastern Europens etc that have come here have found their children just being part of the place and involved with the teams (inc my family which are a mixture of that) within a generation or two.. is the cultural gap too massive for that to ever happen?

If they could be engaged it's a huge area that English cricket could tap into and a big source of income.

What's gone wrong?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Not for quite a few years, Peter.

Ahh sorry, misread the title. Thought it was ''Have Surrey ever had a summer this good?'' Wink

More seriously, I agree with your general point. Not only are ''England a good side now'' but we seem to have fine players in reserve and other talented youngsters starting to come through. Highly encouraging.

It would be great to have your input a bit more on threads relating to the county scene.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

"Unbelievable. Whlst the ODI series agaisnt India has been played by severly depleted teams (especially the Indians) the level of dominance this summer has been a suprise and a real turn around from previous years where success in one format is generaly followed by a flump in another.
Its hard to deny that England are a good side now. "

Things may have gone well this summer. But the true acid test will come when a rejuvanated Australian team arrive in a couple of summers time for the ashes test series. I fear that we could serepeat e a of the 1989 ashes series where Australia arrived as heavy underdogs but somehow played out of their skins whilst England back then underperformed and fired too many blanks, particularly with the senior players at that time like Ian Botham, Graham Gooch,Allan Lamb,Mike Gatting and captain David Gower.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 18 Sep 2011, 12:59 pm

We won 7/7 tests in 2004.

This has been a very good summer but IMO India were ordinary and never looked up for a fight.
Sri-Lanka were not much better.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 18 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

Stella wrote:We won 7/7 tests in 2004.

This has been a very good summer but IMO India were ordinary and never looked up for a fight.

Australia would probably have beaten this India side if they had played them in the test series in England this summer.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Not for quite a few years, Peter.

Ahh sorry, misread the title. Thought it was ''Have Surrey ever had a summer this good?'' Wink

More seriously, I agree with your general point. Not only are ''England a good side now'' but we seem to have fine players in reserve and other talented youngsters starting to come through. Highly encouraging.

It would be great to have your input a bit more on threads relating to the county scene.

Thanks. Ill be honest, I dont comment on the County secne any more because I dont do anything other than keep tabs on whats going on. I rarely watch non interntaional games anymore. Ive just run out of time/interest for it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

Against weak sides. Say what you like about India and Sri lankas attitude but they are stikl tougher games than West Indies and New Zealand.
As I said though its not just about the performance n one format, but that they have don well in all formats. That summer they struggled in ODIs ( no T20's then) , ths summer they have dominated in all 3 formats. Thats what makes it special, its something I cant ever remeber England having done against good sides.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 18 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Against weak sides. Say what you like about India and Sri lankas attitude but they are stikl tougher games than West Indies and New Zealand.
As I said though its not just about the performance n one format, but that they have don well in all formats. That summer they struggled in ODIs ( no T20's then) , ths summer they have dominated in all 3 formats. Thats what makes it special, its something I cant ever remeber England having done against good sides.

Hussain said that this Indian team were the worst touring team that he's seen for a long time. I would agree. On paper they looked great but they played very poor Cricket.
Anyway, this summer has been super for us English fans Yahoo
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 18 Sep 2011, 7:41 pm

Thanks. Ill be honest, I dont comment on the County secne any more because I dont do anything other than keep tabs on whats going on. I rarely watch non interntaional games anymore. Ive just run out of time/interest for it.

Peter - that's fair enough. Each to their own. I'm actually pretty opposite to you these days. I used to follow the international scene quite closely for many years (feel free in particular to ever ask me about the Aussies and Windies of the '70s and '80s!). I still keep an eye out for England performances but have become rather disillusioned with the ''celebrity'' status awarded to so many test players. That's why I tend to now stick with the county scene.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:47 pm

"We won 7/7 tests in 2004."

But we didn't have to play against any outstanding teams this summer which contained great fast bowlers, such as the 1991 West Indies team which had Curtley Ambrose in his bowling prime, with someone like Bumper Patterson still proving that he was still a fast bowling menace to opposition batsmen, as a certain England debutant in that 1991 test series V West Indies found out by the name of Graeme Hick who struggled badly to cope with the nasty short balls which his arch nemesis Curtley Ambrose kept dishing out to him every time he came out to bat.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Peter - that's fair enough. Each to their own. I'm actually pretty opposite to you these days. I used to follow the international scene quite closely for many years (feel free in particular to ever ask me about the Aussies and Windies of the '70s and '80s!). I still keep an eye out for England performances but have become rather disillusioned with the ''celebrity'' status awarded to so many test players. That's why I tend to now stick with the county scene.

I used to be equally interested in both and am still strongly interested in the county scene. I think my interest in internationals has declined somewhat in the light of the great overkill of fixtures especially ODIs, and meaningless one-off matches and the like. I still get a buzz from a major test series fought by two teams trying their max. But enjoyment is hobbled where as in recent series with India one side is woefully under prepared (same has happened to England in the past). But I do give great credit to the current England set up, their single minded preparation, the stability in selection, the availability of prepared replacements etc.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 18 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

Good points as ever, Corporal.

''Less is more'' comes to mind ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

This was an excellent summer as we performed very well and they nearly all the players attained a level achievement they would be very pleased about.

However the test series were unequal affairs, without the weather intervention it was all too likely that the scoreline would have been 7 - 0 Shocked

I'd expect this winter that we will face more organised and determined opposition than in the last 2 series. :-?

In my archive a time to compare was the summer 1977 with an array of exciting players playing and 2 series wins over the old enemy Australia

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:03 pm

"
In my archive a time to compare was the summer 1977 with an array of exciting players playing and 2 series wins over the old enemy Australia "

1977, what a summer that was! Not only did England still have the services of all-rounder Tony Greig, but England could call on the services of a certain young Somerset all-rounder by the name of Ian Botham. As well as having 2 excellent all-rounders in the same England test team to face Australia, England could at last call on the services of the great opener Geoff Boycott.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Fair play to you, if there were more people like you county/club cricket in this country would be in a healthier state.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

One innings away from an unbeaten summer, what a bunch of gooses

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:28 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:One innings away from an unbeaten summer, what a bunch of gooses

England may have had a good summer in terms of results. But they are still like the old England of the 1990's in terms of the batting being fallible to falling and collapsing like a pack of cards if they are put under pressure.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

we cant let that t20 game ruin whats been an absolutely fantastic summer for england and english cricket, what a summer congrats to the boys Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down