The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa will win the world cup

+12
eirebilly
emack2
HammerofThunor
Biltong
fa0019
Bullsbok
offload
nganboy
Taylorman
maestegmafia
Knowsit17
mckay1402
16 posters

Go down

South Africa will win the world cup Empty South Africa will win the world cup

Post by mckay1402 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

Just saying...I think they are looking pretty good. Think they've timed it just right and will only get stronger as the tournament goes on.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

South Africa will win the world cup Empty Re: South Africa will win the world cup

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

I'm still backing NZ, though I'm by no means certain. Just getting the feeling that this year their determination to break the deadlock will carry them over the finishing line on their own turf. A good win over Fiji isn't enough to convince me that SA will be the first side to retain, especially after the fright they suffered the game before.

As of an hour ago the comp looks even harder to call. I say sit back, support your side with heart and soul and enjoy any further dramas we're in for king

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

South Africa will win the world cup Empty Re: South Africa will win the world cup

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

They make too many mistakes still for me to be convinced that they have what it takes. But they have shown over the last games against, NZ, Australia, Wales and Fiji that they are a talented team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

Actually it's the Wales game that makes me think they will win it. I think they have such experience and their players are to a man world class. Just can't see anyone out muscling them.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Oz have had their wake up call, something that seems to be essential to progress to knockout.
SA were very impressive but with the Wales result they've got some work to do.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

People will be foolish to write off a bok team
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:49 pm

Before this started odds were NZ,SA and Aus were favourites with perhaps England or France as possibles. I don't think too much has changed. Perhaps we have more chance of a North v South final but i'd still put my money on NZ or SA.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

nganboy wrote:People will be foolish to write off a bok team
People would be foolish to write off several teams at this world cup.

There is some very good teams out there.

My personal hope is that there is a change to the copy book and an unpredicted team makes at least the semis

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

I think all the IReland win has done is confirm an NZ victory . Aussies and Boks are going to destroy each other in the QF while NZ coast through to the semis where they'll meet one of their battered Sanzar brothers.They'll then proceed to power to the final and dispatch whatever unlucky team is waiting for them and the Webb Ellis will stay in NZ
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

Bullsbok wrote:I think all the IReland win has done is confirm an NZ victory . Aussies and Boks are going to destroy each other in the QF while NZ coast through to the semis where they'll meet one of their battered Sanzar brothers.They'll then proceed to power to the final and dispatch whatever unlucky team is waiting for them and the Webb Ellis will stay in NZ

Luckily the RWC is not a foregone conclusion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

Bullsbok wrote:I think all the IReland win has done is confirm an NZ victory . Aussies and Boks are going to destroy each other in the QF while NZ coast through to the semis where they'll meet one of their battered Sanzar brothers.They'll then proceed to power to the final and dispatch whatever unlucky team is waiting for them and the Webb Ellis will stay in NZ

Luckily the RWC is not a foregone conclusion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

Outside of the French I don't think anyone can beat NZ if they get to the final.... SA & Aus have a chance but they will have to do something no one had done in 25 years... beat NZ at Eden Park.

If NZ don't get to the final though I would fancy which ever NH team to get to the final to lift the trophy.

I don't think I could bare seeing PDV lift the RWC though...that would be too much.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:37 pm

mckay1402 wrote:Just saying...I think they are looking pretty good. Think they've timed it just right and will only get stronger as the tournament goes on.

Mckay, I think it's far too early to think that, we showed character vs Wales, we showed the beginning of some form today, but we know have to show consistency.

Besides, we don't like to hear we are going to win, we prefer being told we can't. It sets us up with the right mental attitude.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

The boks can't win the World Cup.

Happy?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

Thanks Hammer. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

Care to return the favour?

Hug

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

BTW Ireland WILL win the World Cup now

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:52 pm

Good thinking Hammer, if Ireland can continue this intensity they can definitely get to the final.

They have the ideal draw.

I remember in 1995, we had a similar situation when we had Australia in our pool, Australia came in as the defending champions and were touted favourites. We had to win our match to get the "easier" draw.

We did it then, you did it today.

On that occasion we met Samoa in the quarters and France in the semi.

Seems the same is possible again?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Just watched the SA v Fiji match Biltong bek,Fiji kicking and tackling poor.
Some very sloppy handling errors by both sides,Fiji apart from one impressive Scrum,no where at scrum time.Line outs .a bit sloppy at times from Boks.Smit throwing one or two crooked at line outs,you had your wish Franny Steyn at centre.
Nice to see Boks trying to run the ball,commentator driving me nuts ."PDV,he has a great Cv doesn`t he"I invite your comments on that.
Morne Steyn about 50% kicking goals,thrown a couple of loose passes,dropped the ball ,Indfferent display?or does that just apply to young All Blacks.
Overall Great improvement,but can`t see you playing that way against a major side.
Injuries or "Hollywoods" has improved your game are the genuine or another PDV con job ?
Good,win but all you can say was Fiji were willing,even Japan B were better than this.Atleast they had some idea,
Interesting that Argentina had a good balanced game today,the 4Ns next year will be very compettive me thinks.
IF thinks no go to the assumed plan,the semi-final will be THE final,and the final an anticlimax.
England wants to start picking up bonus points otherwise they may be going home early.
Providing Wales and SA don`t succumb to Samoa and Ireland to Italy,looks like a Aus v SA quarter final.
Pre Ireland[not watched match yet]Australia are "On top form and on fire"Presumebly for 10 minutes against Italy.which give you the
idea of the quality of the studio comments.
SA had a wake up call v Wales.NZ v Tonga [it was`nt faultless but pretty damned good],Aus today.
Jus t shows McCaw and Carter missing,is not the only team injured key players effect.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Alan, of course we won't play this way against big teams. The ethos of south African gameplan has always been control the match first through tight phases and rucks, and only then play the "exciting" stuff.

In my opnion fiji was not near as bad as what people make out, I suppose it is more to detract from the dominant SA display.

The fact is what we wanted from this test was an improvement, and that we got. It is far to early to predict anything with certainty, but for me and I am always critical of the Springboks, since our tests against Australia in SA we have now only conceded 3 tries in our last 4 tests.

As you know one of the key areas to stand a chance to win the Webb Ellis is defence, and we have shown improved defensive structure during these four matches, and our scramble defence has been absolutely brilliant.

As far as goal kicking is concerned with Morne Steyn having kicked 10/13 kicks thus far in the tournament and Frans Steyn as back up, we tick the next box.

The next important thing is to bring a collective intense forward performance to the table, and here it is clear we are starting to settle and combine better, Danie Rossouw and Bakkies Borha did the businness today and set up our dominance. Pierre speis for the first time in a long time had space to work in.

The oly thing left is communication and a bit of luck.

Our communication and belief is coming back.

Any team to take us lightly will find to their own peril, it could be a long day at the office.

There's hope.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:46 pm

South Africa are still one of the favourites and are defo in with a very good shout. I still would'nt write England off either, they have this ability to turn it on at RWC's and know how to win. They will e a tough nut to crack.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

Certainly doesnt alan. And Deans keeping the same team through the 3 N is fast becoming undone.
Pocock was sorely missed as was Ioane.
The oz back 3 were rendered useless under the brilliant irish slow ball tactics.
This compounded into the backline where they couldnt get going.
Ive said numerous times that injuries to the key 5 will hit oz harder than anyone else, such is their lack of depth. Playing pocock every game since samoa has hurt them. They are now showing they're brittle on the back up front.
Now oz have thrown it open. Ireland will top that group leaving a likely sa oz quarter.
Cooper again got the eden park jitters so oz have real problems.
SA I thought were super impressive biltong and im happy for the to get the favourites tag.
Oz have done you no favours as youll likely have to beat them and us to make the final and now oz have the 'backs to the wall' baton and will be desperate.
Todays match i believe will be like irelands. Super support from the crowd and a welsh loss will see them out with perhaps samoa through.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

Ireland still have to win 2 matches to top the group Taylorman Smile.

If they do and its a SA-Oz 1/4 final then that will be a very interesting match. I am not sure who would win that clash but whoever does will have a lot taken out of them. The Irish shock win today favours NZ more than any other team i feel.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

Biltong you know me better than to belittle the Boks far from it,but what annoys me is .Smartarses in the studio commentating oh that was a poor miss from a great kicker.Wellington[especially] is well known to be difficult for kickers.
Why keep on about it,IF the All Blacks meet the Boks ,I wish it could be in a final not as seems likely a Semi.
Always assuming you get past Samoa and Australia,my respect for the Boks is such I always expectthem to be there or there abouts.
I may hate many aspects about RWCs but not the Rugby,Samoa v
Namibia,and Argentina earlier today were great.
Now going to watch the mighty Aussies see off Ireland NOT.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

No reason why they can't although Oz will be a big test in the QF. Win that and Ireland will be standing in the way come the Final
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

How can any body say the SA will win the RWC at this stage of the tournament.

Wales gave SA a fright, i understand that SA v Fiji was more like a practice game than a RWC game.

I have just watched the Ireland v Aus game, and trust me how any team can be that close to the try line and not score a try is beyond me.

The RWC is wide open at the moment and to say at this stage that a paticular team will win, is stupid.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

eirebilly wrote:Ireland still have to win 2 matches to top the group Taylorman Smile.

Exactly. It's way, way too early to say who will win the RWC. Irelands win, in theory has put all the NH teams in one half of the draw but if France beat the AB's or Italy beat Ireland then it could all change again.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

Majestic, I concur, only a week ago we were written off.

Last edited by biltongbek on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

Agree maj. In fact its more wide open than it has been since the last world cup. Based on a narrow win against wales and a good win against fiji is hardly a basis to suggest a likely winner.

Nzs chances certainly dont look any worse after the japan match and wales ireland look as though on the day they could tip anyone.

We still havnt seen france or england fire and oz will only get better after that wake up call so mid tournament many have a b+ report card with perhaps oz a c- 'room for improvement'.
very exciting stuff.
I just hope you are all enjoying the tournament here so far as its been great having it. The rugby has been superb.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 17 Sep 2011, 8:33 pm

There are many more shocks to come roddersm. Way too early to be claiming anyone as favourites to win.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:05 pm

biltongbek wrote:Majestic, I concur, only a week ago we were written off.

One thing i have learned about the Boks, is never write them off too early.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Sat 17 Sep 2011, 9:27 pm

The Boks will always be there or thereabouts ,but i thought Fiji we quite poor today . The first up tackles were awful and apart from their number 13 they looked as though they couldnt cope with the strengh of the Boks

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down