The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROG/Sexton - 10/12

+13
Rory_Gallagher
Comfort
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
debaters1
Boyne
Sin é
Kingshu
red_stag
rodders
BlueMuff
Shifty
Mickado
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ROG/Sexton - 10/12 - Page 2 Empty ROG/Sexton - 10/12

Post by Mickado Wed 21 Sep - 8:23

First topic message reminder :

We saw this combination first against France where it looked as if Kindey’s hand was forced by the injury of Felix Jones, but against Australia when Darcy came off I, like most of us probably, expected Trimble to come onto the wing with either Earls or Bowe moving to the center. It seems Kidney considers this to be a genuine option now.

Darcy had a good game against Aus, he was targeted at the kickoffs and performed well, but he’s still not finding holes in defenses like he used to, is a ROG/Sexton 10/12 axis worth serious consideration as a starting combination? Kidney might be downplaying it as just a contingency we’ve allowed for, but if we make the ¼’s I’ve a feeling Kidney might spring this one on the opposition from the off.

Is it a master stroke or is it a case of crowbarring your best players onto the pitch at the same time at the expense of cohesion and balance?

Personally I think if Sexton was a Kiwi or Aussie he’d have half his caps at 12 at this stage anyway, and from what we’ve seen so far I think it’s working out well, and can (hopefully) only get better with practice.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

ROG/Sexton - 10/12 - Page 2 Empty Re: ROG/Sexton - 10/12

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 21 Sep - 16:33

Well if Sexton doesn't start nailing the majority of his goal kicks then he loses his place to ROG. It's that simple and it's only fair. It's up to him to give the management a reason to keep him ahead of an in form ROG.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 21 Sep - 16:44

its an interesting debate alright. sexton missed two sitters on saturday but did strike his last two kicks very well including the one that hit the post. it cannot be denied that he has not kicked well, regardless of this talk about the ball. i think outside of goal-kicking sexton has played reasonably well.

One part of me thinks we are a better rugby team with Sexton at 10 but the other part of me thinks that if he misses simple kicks v Italy we will get dragged into an unnecessary dogfight.

sexton mixes his game up better at leinster and is well able to run a match v top sides. He does not do it consitently enough at international level. Dont buy the step up argument as Toulouse/Leicester would beat the USA comfortably. Bit of a mystery

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep - 16:52

dublin_dave wrote:
One part of me thinks we are a better rugby team with Sexton at 10 but the other part of me thinks that if he misses simple kicks v Italy we will get dragged into an unnecessary dogfight.

Thats the long and short of it but once we get into the knockout stages I think the games will be won and lost on goal kicking, so if Sexton can't be relied on to nail his place kicks then ROG needs to start.

Personally I hope Sexton can find his kicking boots because I feel that the teams we put out on Saturday is the one to take us were we all want to go but the pressure is going to be ten fold come the KO stages and if Jonny has kicking demons then ROG has to start in the 10 jersey.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum