The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final*

+10
The genius of PBF
Rowley
HumanWindmill
Waingro
captain carrantuohil
paperbag_puncher
Lumbering_Jack
John Bloody Wayne
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final* - Page 2 Empty 606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final*

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 22 Sep 2011 - 21:24

First topic message reminder :

The semi final results

Ezzard Charles vs Harry Greb- The general consensus was that Charles would just have a little to much for Greb at 175lbs. Greb may well be the man at middle but he is seemingly out his depth in this one. 6 votes to 0 in favour of Charles.
Charles UD 146-142

Archie Moore vs Gene Tunney- Another landslide result for Tunney here. As tricky as Moore was the feeling was that Tunney could cope with it and take it on points.
Tunney UD UD 144-140

final

Gene Tunney vs Ezzard Charles

Rules: If you are picking a points victory please state UD/MD/SD and give a scorecard only one is nescessary. If you are picking a stoppage please state the round.

Last edited by prettyboykev on Sat 1 Oct 2011 - 22:00; edited 5 times in total
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final* - Page 2 Empty Re: 606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final*

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 0:14

Been a bit busy this week so I'm counting this tomorrow.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final* - Page 2 Empty Re: 606 Light heavyweight knockout tournament *Final*

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 0:27

Hope I'm not too late to cast my votes, PBK.

Charles beats Greb with something to spare, I'd say - though I'm sure a few will be in uproar that I give Greb such little chance. I view Greb as a Middleweight who did phenomenally well to even mix it with the 175 lb men of his day, however, aside from Tunney, I don't think he really encountered someone who was considered 'big' at the weight, and nor did he take on a puncher like Charles at 175 lb. The Pittsburgh man was a superb Light-Heavyweight but there are a few from that division that I'd see him being simply overmatched against, Charles being one of them. Greb's toughness, stamina and the fact that he knew every trick in the book keeps him in there for the full fifteen rounds, but Charles controls him behind his jab, uses that superb parrying of his to waft away many of his best shots and decks Greb a couple of times along the way enroute to a comfortable decision. 146-139 to Charles.

There's little doubt in my mind that Tunney controls things early on against Moore, who didn't always start with the vigour befitting one of the greatest Light-Heavyweights of them all. The big question is, what happens when Moore eventually works his way in (and he would, of that I'm sure) and start landing? Well, to me, Tunney is one of the very few who was ice-cool enough to deal with his and come up with a counter attack of his own. Moore, for all his quality, did get hit and, having been forced to chase the fight, I think he eats a lot of jabs and fails to overturn Tunney's lead - and even when his best lands, Tunney finds a way out of a crisis. Possibly recovering from a knockdown to do it, Tunney wins on the cards, something like 144-140.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 0:31

Your fine mate I've not had a chance to do mine yet.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 30 Sep 2011 - 8:53

I see these for Charles and Tunney.

Greb is my idea of the greatest middle of them all, but Charles takes the accolade at lightheavy. It's an easy pick. I have little doubt that Greb would have his moments and that Charles would need to work his socks off, but Ezz was only really vulnerable to big hitters, and Greb wasn't even a particularly devastating puncher at middle, let alone lightheavy.

Charles by UD.

Tunney was fast, smart, tough as old boots and not above fighting rough if he needed to. Moore befits the term ' crafty ' more than any fighter I can think of, but he wasn't an insoluble problem for the true greats, and they don't come much greater than Tunney. I have to believe that Tunney would go into the fray fully prepared and that Archie would try every trick in the book, only to be frustrated to find that Tunney would be spinning him round, clipping him with sharp counters, and skipping out of harm's way whenever Archie did get a sniff of an opening.

Probably goes to the final bell, with Tunney taking a clear unanimous decision.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 1 Oct 2011 - 22:01

The results have been counted please give your thoughts on the final.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 20:23

Charles by narrow UD. Tunney's my boxing hero and I give him the edge against light heavy with the exception of the best, Charles. Charles would be the most complete fighter that Tunney fought - more complete than evenGreb and Loughran and a harder hitter than both.

Can see Tunney's speed causing Charles some problems and Gene wouldn't be giving away much in the close exchanges but as the fight drags on I think Charles' power starts to tell and he starts to land the more tellng punches and takes the fight away from Gene. Saying that, if they fought 5 times I see Tunney winning at least 2.

For me Tunney takes the decision at heavyweight where his speed causes the heavier and slower Charles all kinds of problems.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 20:33

Cheers mate. I'm starting the middleweights tomorrow. I was just looking at the rankings we id and they are very strong would any one object to a 16 man draw instead of 8?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 20:57

Hell no. More theoretical fights between great fighters to get stuck into! Can't wait for it!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 2 Oct 2011 - 21:01

Middleweight is so strong. Could make a case for 4 or 5 different winners of the whole thing.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2