The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last night's Ringside, not HD

+7
HumanWindmill
BALTIMORA
The Galveston Giant
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
Scottrf
Benelio
11 posters

Go down

Last night's Ringside, not HD Empty Last night's Ringside, not HD

Post by Benelio Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

Not exactly a big issue, but I recorded the 10pm showing of Ringside on Sky Sports HD 3 last night, and it definitely wasn't in HD. The only thing that was HD was the sky logo in the top right of the screen.

With Primetime and BoxNation (both standard definition) grabbing a bigger share of the fights, it looks like boxing is taking a step back in terms of image quality. Hopefully was just a technical glitch and it'll be back in HD next week. If not then maybe cancelling my HD subscription might help pay for BoxNation. chin

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Last night's Ringside, not HD Empty Re: Last night's Ringside, not HD

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

Paying £10 a month for HD is more of a farce than any boxing channel will ever be.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I've never understood the obsession and hype with HD. I have HD but rarely ever bother to watch the HD version of sports or other channels.

IS the viewing experience really that much better, I don't think so?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:16 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:I've never understood the obsession and hype with HD. I have HD but rarely ever bother to watch the HD version of sports or other channels.

On most of my mates TVs they would only notice if there is a HD sign in the corner. On a good TV it is amazing though, almost 3D with the depth you can get and total clarity.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:23 am

I have a 1080p 600Hz TV, but HD broadcasts are only at 60Hz, what a waste of money that was.

They didn't tell me that in the shop.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:24 am

Scottrf wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:I've never understood the obsession and hype with HD. I have HD but rarely ever bother to watch the HD version of sports or other channels.

On most of my mates TVs they would only notice if there is a HD sign in the corner. On a good TV it is amazing though, almost 3D with the depth you can get and total clarity.

It's probably that my TV is rubbish then, well it a first HD generation Hitachi!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

Did they mention anything about Warren jumping ship? They should be coming out and assuring the fans that they will continue to invest, or have they already?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Did they mention anything about Warren jumping ship? They should be coming out and assuring the fans that they will continue to invest, or have they already?
They have Martinez vs Barker, and had Froch vs Ward. I think they might have too much competition on the non-British overseas fights now though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Benelio Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Did they mention anything about Warren jumping ship?

No mention of Warren that I can remember. Had Paul Smith as a guest though, with Ricky Hatton and Macklin too. I'm not sure if Macklin is still with Frank Warren or not.

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Macklin is with Lou DiBella.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Benelio Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:46 am

Scottrf wrote:Macklin is with Lou DiBella.

Silly me. I think he did mention that on Ringside too. I was only thinking of UK promoters.

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Thanks Scott/Benelio
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

I have a 1080p 600Hz TV, but HD broadcasts are only at 60Hz,

Poor old Windy, I can see him huddled in a corner now screaming, "It's witchcraft I tell you"

HD is utter garbage, I don' want to see Adam Smith's face in HD, nor do I need to see Wayne Rooney's "baboon with a shaved arse and lipstick" features leering at me. As for wildlife programs, I know what a f*****g parrot looks like, I have a reasonable idea of what "blue and green", how yellow does that fish need to be for me to appreciate it?

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Only things I'd bother watching in HD are movies and wildlife documentary type programmes. Eastenders and news at ten in HD are pointless.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

The whole HD thing is ridiculous.

Watch "Citizen Kane" on an old Betamax video (Windy still won't have one of those new fangled contraptions in the house) or the latest Sarah Jessica Parker chick flick on HD and I think you'll find that acting, plot, pathos, feeling and a sense that you've partaken in something worthwhile, can never be enhanced by HD.

Bit like listening to Hendrix on vinyl against the lastest Jedward monstrosity in 24 bit state-of-the-art pro-tools clarity

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

DAVE667 wrote:The whole HD thing is ridiculous.

Watch "Citizen Kane" on an old Betamax video (Windy still won't have one of those new fangled contraptions in the house) or the latest Sarah Jessica Parker chick flick on HD and I think you'll find that acting, plot, pathos, feeling and a sense that you've partaken in something worthwhile, can never be enhanced by HD.

Bit like listening to Hendrix on vinyl against the lastest Jedward monstrosity in 24 bit state-of-the-art pro-tools clarity

Clearly a man after my own heart.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:50 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

tcribb would love him.

It's not a valid point though because we're comparison the same programme in different definitions, not a bad HD programme vs a good SD one.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Benelio Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:53 pm

I would argue that presentation is pretty important. Quite a lot of fights are available only via feeds (legally or otherwise). I saw choi fight recently on a hard knocks online broadcast, and while it was a great fight... it would have been made better for me if I'd got to see it with a much larger/sharper picture on Sky.

And even though it isn't directly applicable to HD, the choi fight only had one camera angle. I got to see the entire fight from the one angle... but I imagine if Sky started doing that then we'd all complain. Which highlights the fact that I think most of us do put value into presentation of the fights, even though it doesn't make the 'actual fight' any better.

I can understand that a lot of people don't want to pay extra for the HD, or don't consider the benefits it brings to be worth the price tag. Eventually, it won't be an option, and there'll just be one flat rate as everything will be broadcast in HD and all TVs will support genuine 1080p HD. May take a while though.

Benelio

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

You can, of course, get Citizen Kane in HD...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citizen-Kane-Blu-ray-Orson-Welles/dp/B0050G3NWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316778811&sr=8-1
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

tcribb would love him.

It's not a valid point though because we're comparison the same programme in different definitions, not a bad HD programme vs a good SD one.

Okay, then, does seeing Johnny Nelson's twitchy mouth in HD make Ringside better or worse than in SD. Does listening to Adam Smith mangle a fighters' name in HD make Ringside better than in SD. Does listening to Kevin Mitchell stutter and fumble his way through a sentence in HD make Ringside better than in SD?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

Yep.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

You're an idiot, then!

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

Do you have an HD telly Dave?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

You also get dolby digital sound on most HD presentations which means if you have a decent AV receiver, speakers and sub woofer the watching experience, particularly for films and some sports is greatly enhanced.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

I'm sure you used to be witty on the old 606 DAVE. You're a shot poster now.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

Scottrf wrote:I'm sure you used to be witty on the old 606 DAVE. You're a shot poster now.

I was thinking that myself, he seems to be trying far too hard nowadays.

Perhaps it's not really him.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Thanks Scott, sadly you've simply mananged to maintain the same idiotic persona...although you do seem to be trying to give yourself an HD style idiot make-over. I think it's working.

Does it really matter if the footie is in HD? As long as my team gets the ball goes in the back of the net, I'm not overly fussed. Sadly, being a Liverpool fan, HD isn't going to increase the likelihood of that happening!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

Yeah definitely would have had a better response on the old 606.

Can we see if he's posting from Didsbury? Could be revenge from the resident Bostonian.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

I'm partially coloured blind, so HD allows me to get the colours mixed up with crystal clarity!! Of no use to me what so ever

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

bhb001 wrote:I'm partially coloured blind, so HD allows me to get the colours mixed up with crystal clarity!! Of no use to me what so ever

So which black people CAN you see?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

Thank God Luton are non league nowadays, any insult towards my beloved team will only end up being a compliment. Perhaps Daves star is waning because he seemed to have an injection of vitality post liverpool 4-1 at old trafford. Strangely enough, experience had me think it would have kept him going for another 17 years.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

Sarah Jessica Shergar is absolutely pig-fugly no matter what resolution you view her in.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

Since the injection of cash at Anfield and the return of King Kenny (after the appointment of King Roy who took over from the departed King Rafa) I've had to increase my expectations. I'm looking at disappointment that goes beyond bitter this season.

I'm hoping the birth of my daughter at the end of January will distract me from the realisation that we can't make up enough ground to secure European football....again!

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

For me HD is only worthwhile for films and football.

With football it is better for the longer shots on HD.

For films it has actually put me off Cameron Diaz (looked really rough) yet Angelina Jolie still looked amazing. HD is making me more picky which since my features would only be enhanced as a radio broadcast is probably not a good thing.

Wouldn't pay any extra for it though as although better it isn't worth the money (I only have the package with 5 HD channels).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:40 pm

yet Angelina Jolie still looked amazing
Does your definition of "amazing" translate as "could do with a f******g good dinner"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

huw wrote:

You'll clearly never seen Man Vs Food in HD Huw, worth the extra tenner on its own.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

rowley wrote:
huw wrote:

You'll clearly never seen Man Vs Food in HD Huw, worth the extra tenner on its own.

I would actually get 3DTV for that show alone!!!

Amazing how the guy can get a crowd of people cheering him as he eats the worlds largest deep fried and battered kebab, as Don King would say 'only in America'.

Weirdly this is one of the shows that the mrs loves, I try to pretend I don't like it but am secretly pleased she isn't watching Housewifes of *insert place in America here* they truely make me want to start a fight with both Liston and Tyson at the same time.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

No need to be ashamed loving man vs food Huw, one of my favourite shows, makes me hungry just watching it. Also enjoy watching the older ones to see just how much fatter Adam has got as the series have progressed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

rowley wrote:
huw wrote:

Is this why TRUSSMAN has been absent from the boards? Is he still suffering from indigestion?

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

'Diners, Drive-thrus & Dives' is pretty entertaining, if you like to see an over-enthusiastic fat American gorging himself on a variety of heart-attack-inducing recipes.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

DAVE667 wrote:yet Angelina Jolie still looked amazing
Does your definition of "amazing" translate as "could do with a f******g good dinner"?

Yes, since I'm not talking to the Mrs and don't need to pretend to like an extra few pounds! Kim Kardasian type curves would be as large as I'd like in an ideal world.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 23 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:'Diners, Drive-thrus & Dives' is pretty entertaining, if you like to see an over-enthusiastic fat American gorging himself on a variety of heart-attack-inducing recipes.

Is that the one with the dude with the spikey highlights?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

huw wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:'Diners, Drive-thrus & Dives' is pretty entertaining, if you like to see an over-enthusiastic fat American gorging himself on a variety of heart-attack-inducing recipes.

That's the one. Really greasy fella with his shades on back-to-front.

This guy.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
huw wrote:

This guy.

Watch that one as well and weirdly sometimes wish we had food vans like some of the ones on there is this country! We get stuck with some real rubbish food vans here.

There is another (I think on the same channel) where a guy travels the world getting drunk 'three sheets', that can be funny sometimes

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 23 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

huw wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
huw wrote:

This guy.

Watch that one as well and weirdly sometimes wish we had food vans like some of the ones on there is this country! We get stuck with some real rubbish food vans here.

There is another (I think on the same channel) where a guy travels the world getting drunk 'three sheets', that can be funny sometimes

Yeah, I've seen bits of that too. Saw the one where he was in Jamaica. He was cringeworthy. The 'Diners...' programme though just highlights how poor American cuisine is in some instances. The emphasis is on size, and that's about it, although you're right some of the stuff does look good. As you say though; you're comparing their better cases with our worst burger vans...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down