The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How would Portugal have done this time around?

5 posters

Go down

How would Portugal have done this time around? Empty How would Portugal have done this time around?

Post by red_stag Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Would they have been able to do better than the likes of Russia, Namibia, USA, Romania etc?

Anyone know much about them?

They finished ahead of Russia in the 2011 European Nations Cup and are amongst the top 20 countries in world rugby.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

How would Portugal have done this time around? Empty Re: How would Portugal have done this time around?

Post by yappysnap Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Why weren't they in the WC then?

I always thought that the WC just had the top 20 teams in the IRB rankings playing in it, does it not work like that?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

How would Portugal have done this time around? Empty Re: How would Portugal have done this time around?

Post by red_stag Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Yappysnap, there is a qualification competition that the minnow nations play. In Europe it was decided by the Nations Cup 2008-2010 in which Portugal were very poor. However in 2011 they have been doing quite well it seems.

The last place in the World Cup was decided by Romania v Uraguay. (Tunisia and Kazakstan were the semi finalists).
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I forgot about them.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm

They didn't qualify. Simple as.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Could have done better then Namibia I'd say but Geography prevents them playing instead of them. I would have expected Russia to do better at the world cup though i fairness they have been poor so far.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah, I thought Russia would be decent until they played the Dragons' second string side in a pre-season friendly and got whooped by 40 odd points. To put that into perspective, we'll probably get beaten well away to Connacht tonight who are Ireland's weakest team, so we're no great shakes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:51 pm

The Russia's have some decent players but lack in some areas. Don't have much of a pack which is supprising. They will only get better though.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down