The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forrest or McGeady

+4
AberdeenSteve
Kay Fabe
marty2086
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
8 posters

Go down

Forrest or McGeady Empty Forrest or McGeady

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:41 am

James Forrest is easily the most talented player to come through the Celtic youth system since Aidan McGeady but is he better?

McGeady was undoubtedly a better dribbler who could beat men for fun but was very guilty of not getting the ball in the box early or often enough given how he could beat full backs with ease. He never scored enough goals either. McGeady scored 31 goals in 185 games for Celtic. Roughly a goal every 5 games. That's not to bad for a wide man but given his talent and the standard of the league it should have been better.

Forrest may not have the trickery of McGeady but he seems to have a better understanding of when to deliver the ball and he is more direct. Forrest has 8 goals in 31 games which is roughly a goal every four games. Albeit his average is over a fifth of the games McGeady played the difference in styles makes me feel that Forrest despite not having McGeady's natural skill he may well turn out to be a far more productive player than McGeady and could become a real favourite amongst the fans if he sticks around long enough.

I have to be honest it utterly amazes how Scott Brown who struggles to pass a ball the length of his leg gets picked over this kid on the right side.

What are your thoughts McGeady or Forrest?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Forrest or McGeady Empty Re: Forrest or McGeady

Post by marty2086 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

Forrest everyday from the little Ive seen hes a better footballer, McGeady with pace to burn ever used it right being an Irishman seeing him play for the Republic shows how poor he is

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:37 pm

Bit early for comparisons yet but despite both being deployed as wide men both are very different, McGeady is/was a far more skillful footballer with great vision, Forrest is a lot more powerful and industrious, Forrest seems to have a better eye for goal but can be far to one demensional at times, Aiden McGeady also had to contend with defenders doubling and tripling up on him while playing in a very static midfield and no great help from nis fullback, James Forrest isn't at the level yet to opposition bosses that see him doubled and trebled up, he's got much more freedom, he also plays in a far more vibrant midfield with willing and able fullbacks.

I'd love James Forrest to hit the level of ability Aiden McGeady has managed and believe he can, but it's far to early in his development to be comparing them IMO

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:43 pm

I was comparing there styles. McGeady is different type of player more of a winger. Forrest is wide midfielder. McGeady had his flaws and so does Forrest. The McGeady that left Celtic is miles ahead of Forrest but a 19 year old McGeady in his 2nd season isn't any better than Forrest. If anything Forrest is more productive McGeady was a bit of a loose cannon at that age.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

I'm not so sure he is more productive, I'd say he is more industrious and more of a team player, Thats what you get with a more productive player though, they are always going to be more of a 'lose cannon' than a safer more industrious player

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

McGeady was a fantastically talented lad. Not always the most productive though. Their were games when McGeady had the beating of a full back yet he never got one decent ball in the box.

While Forrest doesn't have that kind of talent he does have a consistent level of performance that McGeady lacked.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

I always felt McGeady struggled with his final ball because he was played on his weaker side, for me he is far more productive with his delivery when he played on the right, I still feel he suffered with the static midfield we had under Strachan and not having good enough support from his full back, McGeady was being doubled up against since he tore AC Milan apart in 2004, Forrest hasn't had to deal with that yet

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

I can't see Forrest coping to well if teams double up on him. He doesn't have the skill to cope with that. But I can't see teams doubling up on him he isn't that kind of talent.

I agree with you about his time under Strachan he struggled on the right at times but that was to accommodate Naka.

I was a big fan of McGeadys and tbh despite being a Celtic fan I'm glad he left he had to put up with some amount of rubbish in Glasgow. The guy can walk down the street now and can enjoy his life away from football freely.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:46 pm

You'd have thought I didn't like McGeady at times, I was always quite hard on him, I'm glad he left too, it was win win, we played through him to often and he himself was being stiffled in Scotland, I really like Forrest's style of play, its honest if that makes sense, I agree with you that if he keeps up his game he'll be a fans favourite, I'm just glad we missed out on Weiss last year or Forrest wouldn't have got his chance

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

I think most Celtic fans were hard on McGeady but that was because we knew how talented he was compared to what we seen at times.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:15 pm

I was never a fan of McGeady, I just felt that he was one of those players that was all style and no substance. I am not denying that the lad was talented but as Kev says, he never gave it a 100% each game. As for Forrest, okay he doesn't have the same ability to go past players but everything else he gives the team in his crossing ability and goals scored. I think he could be better than McGeady if treated correctly.

In agreement with the OP too that it is ridiculous that Scott Brown gets picked ahead of Forrest at times. But I suppose bashing Brown would be for a different thread Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

Steve I never said he never gave 100% just very inconsistent at times. Too often we were either one dimensional and tried to play through him too much or we were one paced throughout the team like we were under Strachan. He isn't the kind of guy to roll up his sleeves and get stuck in that's not his game and not what he was payed his tidy wage for.

As for Brown I can't stand watching him in a Celtic shirt. 4th best central midfielder at the club and 4th best wide man. The worst Celtic captain I can remember.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

Sorry Kev, I misread what you said. Definitely agree that you did at times try to play every pass forward to McGeady which was ridiculous when you had guys like Naka at the time too.

Glad that some Celtic fans aren't all that up on Brown, never understand the mass rating of this lad. So negative and doesn't bring anything to a Celtic midfield that he really shouldn't be playing in.

Out of interest, a little off topic but who would you have as captain?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:19 pm

Mulgrew, Kayal or Ki.

Mulgrew should be playing at centre back he isn't the best but he;'s better than the others. I'll leave Wilson out of that though we haven't seem enough of him and he's needs time to settle in.

Kayal is the drive in the middle of the park although I don't see him being here next season even if he signs a new deal.

Ki is just top quality his vision is superb. Similar to Kayal I'm not sure he will be here next season either.

Would need to throw Ledley in there as well. Think he captained Cardiff before and he is a good player now he's settled in.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm

McGeady is a poor player,can't cross for his life. I have wanted him dropped for Ireland for a while now. He has one goal in something like 50 games,not a good ratio. His shooting from distance is poor but his defending in his last few Irish games was quite decent.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

Thomond while I don't agree with you on your assessment of him as a player. I have seen him play for Ireland and he isn't the same player. I have to be honest I'm glad about that he shouldn't be playing for Ireland.

My brother went to school with Aiden and they are mates and while I hope he's successful as he's a really nice guy I hope it's only for his club he has success. Nothing personal just wish Ireland would stop stealing our best talents. McCarthy is another.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

What makes what you've said even more annoying is that both McGeady and McCarthy are blatantly Scottish. Couldn't pick two more broader speaking weegies if you tried Laugh

It's difficult to think that Mulgrew was playing with dross that is currently at Pittodrie last season. He has improved massively since going back to Parkhead. Has definitely seemed your best defender at times.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

Mulgrew knows he made a big mistake first time round at Celtic. He also knows he's very lucky to get a second chance remember how tight Lennon and Strachan are.

I thought it was pointless bringing him back but he's been very good. Although Lennon shouldn't play him on the left hand side of midfield. Playing 2 left backs is far to negative for a club like Celtic unless we are playing a world class side.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:23 am

Joe Ledley would be my captain all day every day, he should never be out the team, I feel his loss was the big factor we didn't see out the league and Lennon's decision to drop him at Ibrox was an abomination to management

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:03 am

I wouldn't mind if McGeady played for Scotland,it is his choice though and if he feels Irish then he should opt to play for Ireland. I think he did well in what was a poor league and is doing decent in Russia,terrible at international level.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

He's doing more than alright in Russia to be fair, linked with £27m bids by Zenit, Juventus, Malaga and PSG

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

Okay this will be unpopular, but I'm still not sold on Forrest. He's a talent, no doubt, but I just feel he's a little lightweight. I'm glad he's proving me wrong by putting in some great performances and I am slowly coming round to it.

McGeady was a fantastic player that frustrated the hell out of me. Ability to breeze passed players but with a tendency to play the wrong final ball, or try a shot where a pass would have been better. I'm glad he has moved from the SPL. His development was stunted by constantly being played against 2-3 markers.

With regards to Brown - Who knows? The boy must have something on the board and/or every manager we've had. He's not captain material. He brings bite to the team, but he's not a good player. He is an athlete with a great engine; nothing more.

Who would I have as captain? I have always been of the mind that your captain should be either in the centre of defence or a holding midfield type. Having said that, I would probably go with Ledley. He is a fantastic player that goes about the game quietly and efficiently. If not Ledley then Kayal. He has that bite that Brown has but is able to back it up with actual footballing ability.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

I think he is a bit lightweight too, he died a slow death at the tail end of last season, it was his first full season but it showed that he definitely needs to be stronger both physically and mentally

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

When that aspect of his game improves, I will be fully on board. I just look at him and worry sometimes.

It's a lot like Ki. When he first came here he was way too lightweight for the league. He has developed and is now looking like a class act. Massive potential in that lad and I would be very surprised if he is still around next season.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

Thomond wrote:I wouldn't mind if McGeady played for Scotland,it is his choice though and if he feels Irish then he should opt to play for Ireland. I think he did well in what was a poor league and is doing decent in Russia,terrible at international level.

How can he feel Irish he's from Glasgow which is definitely not Ireland although if you had ever been to the Gallowgate you could get confused. His Grandad is Irish that's how he qualifies which is a horrible rule.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:41 pm

He amy have grown up in quite an Irish way,like Owen Coyle. He was the one who decided to come play for Ireland. Not the FAI,they're a shower of eijits who couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:46 pm

The S.F.A are just as bad. I just hate the rule. McGeady was brought up by Glaswegian parents in Glasgow. His Grandad was Irish but lived in Scotland for most his life.

Scotland have done the same thing albeit with England rejects but I would quite happily see Levein sacked for picking Englishmen.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:55 pm

prettyboykev wrote:The S.F.A are just as bad. I just hate the rule. McGeady was brought up by Glaswegian parents in Glasgow. His Grandad was Irish but lived in Scotland for most his life.

Scotland have done the same thing albeit with England rejects but I would quite happily see Levein sacked for picking Englishmen.

I'd rather see him sacked for his inability to play positive football. 4-6-0 anyone? 1-0 win by the skin of our teeth in our last game when it should have been comfortable. He doesn't give the players the credit that they are due. Sending them out in such a negative manner is just a joke. We have the talent to attack and win games, he just doesn't see it.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

We don't have much talent tbh. Decent workmanlike players and not much else
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:48 am

I disagree.

I think we have some great prospects and talented players coming through. The mentality in Scotland is all wrong. We have that "We're not great" mentality and it hinders our performances.

Matches can be won and lost before you even step on the pitch. If you approach the game in the wrong way, you will not win. It's that simple.

Look at Basel against United last night. Okay they didn't win, but they gave them a scare. They went out attacking and despite going 2 down carried on playing their way. They got back in to the game and looked for a while like they were on for the win. Why shouldn't we go in with that sort of attitude and belief in ourselves?

Yes we have work horses (I'm looking at you Brown) but we also have talented players. Bannan has been exceptional every time I've seen him so far, for club and country. His international career will be hampered by the work horse mentality. Players like Brown will be favoured to him because we need to graft out results. Why not give the actual players a chance?

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

Bannan I will agree with you on him being a talent but I don't see anyone else.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

Celtic Warrior wrote:I disagree.

I think we have some great prospects and talented players coming through. The mentality in Scotland is all wrong. We have that "We're not great" mentality and it hinders our performances.

Matches can be won and lost before you even step on the pitch. If you approach the game in the wrong way, you will not win. It's that simple.

Look at Basel against United last night. Okay they didn't win, but they gave them a scare. They went out attacking and despite going 2 down carried on playing their way. They got back in to the game and looked for a while like they were on for the win. Why shouldn't we go in with that sort of attitude and belief in ourselves?

Yes we have work horses (I'm looking at you Brown) but we also have talented players. Bannan has been exceptional every time I've seen him so far, for club and country. His international career will be hampered by the work horse mentality. Players like Brown will be favoured to him because we need to graft out results. Why not give the actual players a chance?

Prime example was when we took the game to Spain all those months ago at Hampden. They were rattled as we came out and attacked from the off. Why we couldn;t have done that against Czech x 2 and Liechtenstein rather than lattempt to graft out results which in 9 out of 10 situations, backfires.

Bannan, Snodgrass, Naismith, Commons, Miller, Fletcher, McFadden .. All players that can play football but are expected to spend 90 minutes pressing and defending.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:29 pm

Steve Scotland have did well against the big teams at Hampden for years that's the way it is.

Bannan I like and maybe Wilson from Liverpool but that's it hard working yes talented? Not really. Championship and SPL standard.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

As long as we continue to play in the manner that we do Kev, I fear that they won't get a chance to prove you wrong.

I honestly believe they COULD prove you wrong if they were trusted to go out and attack. Instead of getting a goal and instantly reverting to a "Let's contain the match and protect our lead." We inevitably sit further and further back which results in mistakes and opportunities for the opposition.

I'm personally fed up of the "nearly" mentality we have as a nation. How many times have we almost made it to a compeition and been left saying "If it hadn't been for that penalty..." or "if it hadn't been for that incorrect offside decision..." Give the actual players a chance. Don't go to places like Lithuania looking to grind out a result. Go there looking to win. Play a strong team of actual players rather than the headless chickens and make a go of it. Then we may not need to reflect on poor decisions costing us.

Celtic Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

The best 11 Scotland could play imo is:

GK- McGregor- Even if Gordon is fit McGregor is one of the best in Bitain.

RB- Hutton- Great engine decent crosser of a ball.
LB- Mulgrew- Steady defencively, a threat from set pieces
CB- Wilson- Decent but very young
CB- Hanley- Another young guy but pretty decent

DM- Fletcher- Good at what he does just wish Scotland managers would stop wanting him to be more than a holding midfielder just because he plays for Man Utd.
CM- Bannan- Excellent looking young talent.
CM- Morrison- Good engine, decent distribution and can be a goal threat.
RM- Naismith- He can be goal threat and does work very hard.
LM- Commons- Real goal threat and can deliver a decent cross.

ST- Miller- Hard working and can nick a goal.

Problem is most of these guys can't do it at the top level.

Last thing I would sack Levein and give Walter Smith the job. Levein is a clown. Smith is perfect for the job. He's excellent at setting up a team not to lose and nick a goal.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hartley Thu 08 Dec 2011, 3:52 pm

McGeady by a fair distance.

Hartley

Back to top Go down

Post by celticbhoy Tue 27 Dec 2011, 8:23 pm

i think mcgeady because he could work the magic and he was a goal threat we need him back

celticbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 27 Dec 2011, 8:29 pm

I don't watch or support Celtic but I always though McGeady was not very good at the highest level. He has one goal in 50 games for Ireland and his crossing is atrocious it's grand to say he can beat the full back but he often goes nowhere after that.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down