The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carling Cup final

+7
AberdeenSteve
ADMIN
gab
Davie
Nay
tommythecat
Swanseadabber
11 posters

Go down

Carling Cup final Empty Carling Cup final

Post by Guest Sun 27 Feb 2011, 9:00 am

The first piece of silverware of the season is up for grabs on Sunday at Wembley as Arsenal take on Birmingham in the Carling Cup final.

Team News

Arsenal will definitely be without Fabregas and Walcott for the game, so the ever-improving Jack Wilshere is likely to be given the Spaniard's role in midfield.

Van Persie looks in line to return to the side having recovered from a hamstring problem, while Laurent Koscielny, who was outstanding against Barcelona, is also set to come back.

Abou Diaby was suspended for the match against Stoke, but he is in line to start for the Gunners should Wenger decide to change his midfield.

Long-term absentees Thomas Vermaelen (Achilles) and Lukasz Fabianski (shoulder) remain sidelined.

Birmingham's major doubt comes in the form of former Arsenal winger Alexandr Hleb, who was stretchered off during their FA Cup win over Sheffield Wednesday last weekend.

The Belarus international has a knee problem, with scans reportedly showing severe bruising, but he will be closely monitored by fitness staff to see if he can take part in the match.

Martin Jiranek is back after missing the win over Wednesday with a thigh injury, whilst striker Cameron Jerome should be ready to compete with Nikola Zigic and Obafemi Martins for a place up front after recovering from an ankle knock.

Scott Dann is out for the season, while David Bentley and Curtis Davies are both cup-tied for the match.

Source Sky Sports Click Here

Back to top Go down

Carling Cup final Empty Re: Carling Cup final

Post by Swanseadabber Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:19 am

Hope Big Eck wins his first piece of silverware in England today
Swanseadabber
Swanseadabber

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Feb 2011, 7:26 pm

Cracking cup final for the neutral, but I put all the blame on the last goal down to Koscielny. When you're in that position you just clear it, it's up to your goalkeeper to beat you to it- you never just leave it for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by tommythecat Sun 27 Feb 2011, 7:37 pm

Big Eck's anti football wins the day again, shocking. Big lump up the park to a 7ft numpty.

tommythecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 27 Feb 2011, 7:43 pm

still bitter son

Never mind

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Feb 2011, 7:47 pm

tommythecat wrote:Big Eck's anti football wins the day again, shocking. Big lump up the park to a 7ft numpty.

Arsenal couldn't find a way past Birmingham for most of the game, and at times Birmingham kept the ball well and that '7ft numpty' did his job perfectly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 27 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

If the keeper didn't shout loud enough then it's his fault. If he did then it's Koscielny's fault all day long

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 8:16 pm

hehe been winding up a guy in work for ages about this tie.
was always hoping they would beat the gooners but now got a lot of preening to look forward to all week. its all good tho well done brummies
on a side note and this of topic i know..maybe 1 for end of season.. but can arsenal (if they fail again to win anything this year) justifie keeping wenger any other less stuborn manager would have surley by now bought the 1 or 2 players they are so blatently missing? they are great to watch BUT?
sry for spelling ect been long day:)

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Feb 2011, 8:22 pm

I think it depends how Arsenal do in other competitions; if they can push Man Utd all the way for the title, go past Barcelona and maybe get far in the FA Cup then he can always say that's he's made progress. Next season he HAS to address his sides defensive frailties though.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Sun 27 Feb 2011, 9:13 pm

I thought it was a cracking game of football, Foster was immense in the Brum goal at times, bet he wishes he could playing Carling Cup Finals every weekend!

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Feb 2011, 9:50 pm

Being born in Aberdeen and supporting the club all my life, I am very happy that Alex McLeish has found success down the road. He is a fantastic manager which he has provedwith successful spells at Rangers, Hibernian and Scotland. I am over the moon that he has got his moment and I really hooe that steers his Birmingham side to Prmier League Safety

Take a bow son king

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 9:53 pm

Churchill wrote:I think it depends how Arsenal do in other competitions; if they can push Man Utd all the way for the title, go past Barcelona and maybe get far in the FA Cup then he can always say that's he's made progress. Next season he HAS to address his sides defensive frailties though.
totaly agree i like him(wenger) and realy enjoy watching arsenal play but for all the flashy football it means nothing if at end of season theres nothing to show for it

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm

I think the way Arsenal play is fantastic and a joy to watch, but without a solid GK and a centre back partnership that can hold up then I can't see them being successful. If you look at some of the top teams around Arsenal then they all have a good centre partnership: Vidic/Ferdinand, Terry/Alex and Kompany/Toure.

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:04 pm

think this will be best left till end of season now as stated above but as a swansea boy and liverpool fan would love to be in a gooner fans positoin. (im jack thro and thro and right now am happy as larry) .
but feel it time wengers boys stepped up to the plate and started winning something or for all there great football end of day.
it means nothing at all just keeping the nuetrals happy knowing u prob gna see a great game.
il leave it there now sry just dreading work tomorrow with the only brum supporter i know and i happen to work with him hehe
but great for brum u deserved it

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm

Churchill wrote:I think the way Arsenal play is fantastic and a joy to watch, but without a solid GK and a centre back partnership that can hold up then I can't see them being successful. If you look at some of the top teams around Arsenal then they all have a good centre partnership: Vidic/Ferdinand, Terry/Alex and Kompany/Toure.
agree totaly m8

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:07 pm

Arsenal in my eyes just don't have the mindset to go and challenege for honours. They do so well in getting to the final yet always fall at the final hurdle.

Like discussed earlier I agree that the team is in serious need of a solid GK and CB partnership. Szczesny seems an ok goalkeeper for the future but is still far too inexperienced.

The one thing that the team is screaming out for is a Viera type. Someone that isnt afraid to rough it up and grab the game by the balls. They have lacked that for years.

Everyone goes on about how great a manager Wenger is. Which to a certain extent I agree with, yet he is blind to the fact that his team has gaping holes. Surely the Arsenal board are getting a little disgruntled?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:07 pm

admittedly birmingham were much better today should of have a pen in 1st min or so. in football you play to your advantages weather its a 7ft serbian or rory delaps long throw.

for people saying we need a defensive partnership. man utd conceded 25 goals so far with arsenal on 27 goals.

so im sorry our defence really isn't that bad as people make out.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm

Everyone goes on about how great a manager Wenger is. Which to a certain extent I agree with, yet he is blind to the fact that his team has gaping holes.

this is why i asked the questoin in the 1st place.
its there for all to see apart from aparently the guy that matters wenger

hes insisting on doing it his way which while he had viera there to not so much as hide but compensate for the lack of a adams and keown but make it not so much of a prob .
they realy need imo to sign some people to fill the gaps.

anyway been fun but misses wants to watch a film and aparently my precence is required hehe laters guys been fun

end of season this is defo a article to get back to when we see what arsenal actualy finish with

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:22 pm

1 thing tho on a parting note b4 i go could any1 do it better? wenger is undoubtly a great manager if he does leave arsenal would love to see him stood in liverpools dugout if they dont keep kenny( and yes it blind faith with kenny but ...hey thats all we got at mo:) )

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 27 Feb 2011, 10:30 pm

the day arsene leaves arsenal is the day he retires and moves up to director of football to give Dragan Stojković ( the replacement arsene wants) advice when he needs it.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:46 pm

congrats coops, your team played well thumbsup

RocketAce

http://twitter.com/#!/Kris_Saunders1

Back to top Go down

Post by BCFCCOOPS Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:49 am

Get in there!!!
Still cant beleive it!
Keep right on!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

BCFCCOOPS

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Mon 28 Feb 2011, 9:57 am

what an amazing final. Arsenal battered Birmingham in the second half, but fair play to Alex McLeish and his players - they battled to the end. Zigic looked a real handful in the first half, but faded in the second. Great goal from Van Persie, he is on fire. Felt sorry for the young keeper, I think the defender was more to blame.
football challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down