The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!!

+5
McLaren
tarka
drive4show
Maverick
Marcus
9 posters

Go down

Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!! Empty Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!!

Post by Marcus Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:33 pm

I have decided to un-retire from golf yet again, and as such have rewarded myself with some new sticks and various other bits and pieces.

I've bought a new driver (Titleist 910D2) and ordered a project x tour issue shaft with it. I've only used it once so far, but it seemed to launch a bit too high for my liking. I'm wondering if any of the knowledgeable members of 606V2ers have the same driver, what shaft they use in it, or what shaft they use in general?

Ideally I am looking for a shaft in the 65-75g weight range.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!! Empty Re: Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!!

Post by Maverick Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Not personally a fan of Project X shafts. But the choice of driver you have made is a good one, a very good club and only heard and seen good things about it.

Shaft Wise my driver and my 3 wood are fitted with Aldila RIP X Stiff, really good launch angle with it and I would highly recommend it to anyone

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!! Empty Re: Out of golfing retirement (again) = New gear!!

Post by Marcus Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

Thanks Maverick.

Not sure about Aldila shafts. I can remember back in the 90s having their "strong" RCH90 in my Big Bertha warbird, and thought it was the worst shaft I have ever used...until I bought a Great Big Bertha with a silver Aldila shaft (the name escapes me) which made the RCH90 look amazing in comparison.

I know it's wrong, but I have always disregarded any shaft they've ever made as a result.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

Marcus I would agree back in the 90's they were not the best, but times have moved on and their products have evolve massively. Besides the RCH were awful,

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:53 pm

Hi Marcus

Welcome back!

A mate of mine has the 909 driver (very similar), he had a custom fit for new irons at the Titleist HQ and had a driver check while he was there. They recommended a gralloy prolaunch red to keep his flight down as he hits it very high. Worked for him, he also gets colossal distance for a little fella Shocked

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:55 pm

drive4show wrote:Hi Marcus

Welcome back!

A mate of mine has the 909 driver (very similar), he had a custom fit for new irons at the Titleist HQ and had a driver check while he was there. They recommended a gralloy prolaunch red to keep his flight down as he hits it very high. Worked for him, he also gets colossal distance for a little fella Shocked

You play golf with a midget? Shocked

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:58 pm

Well...wouldn't call him a midget but it's pretty annoying watching a guy that comes up to my shoulders hit the ball 50 yards past me furious

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

drive4show wrote:Well...wouldn't call him a midget but it's pretty annoying watching a guy that comes up to my shoulders hit the ball 50 yards past me furious

Ian Woosnam??

I suppose I should open my eyes to other brands. Usually I'd go for a Speeder 757 without any hesitation, but it's now been discontinued and there doesn't seen to be an obvious replacement in their range. Crying or Very sad

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

You're on the right track with Woosie, could be one of his lovechildren Very Happy

Have a look at the UST Mamiya range, they are churning out a decent range of products, in fact they are a custom fit option on the 910 driver.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

Fujikura Motore "exotics" tour x stiff, You can get them pulled from an Exotics driver for cheap on ebay but it is a rebranded motore F1

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:20 pm

We used to have a shaft expert on here, I think his name was londonjonno. What ever happened to him?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

What ever you do make sure you get a belly putter, apparently they are so good they should be banned Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:33 pm

A friend has the 910D2 (10.5°) with the Mitsubishi 'Ahina 72 stiff and, having tried it out a number of times, I have to say it's a great match for me (pity I can't justify the price tag just now). Mid launch, zero ballooning and feels really good throughout the swing.

super_realist wrote:What ever you do make sure you get a belly putter, apparently they are so good they should be banned
Don't be facetious. Just because you don't get the argument about why they should be illegal! raspberry
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm

Navy, I get precisely why people think they should be banned, I just don't think it stands up to criticism.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

super_realist wrote:Navy, I get precisely why people think they should be banned, I just don't think it stands up to criticism.
I'd like to reply with some hugely erudite prose but I'm afraid a bit too much anejo cacique rum has been consumed so I'll have to stick with raspberry.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:37 pm

Prosaic NBS - and pithy as well. I'm sorry, did I spit a little there!

Welcome back Marcus.

Nothing to add about shafts I'm afraid, as long as they reach the floor,that'll do for me. Wink
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:51 pm

super_realist wrote:What ever you do make sure you get a belly putter, apparently they are so good they should be banned Laugh

The day I use a bellyguts putter is the day I retire from golf FOREVER!

I am deeply disappointed in Mr Big Phil for using one, particularly as he is unbelievably crap with it. His best bet would be to dig out his old Yonex blade from the mid-90s, when he used to hole EVERYTHING!!!

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

hi

I was in the golf shop yesterday and I told the pro I was hitting 910 d2
a bit high. So his suggestion was the 910 d3 is supposed to give
it a lower pojectory.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

I tried the D3 and didn't like it as much as the D2.

I'm going to adjust the loft down .75 degrees and see what difference it makes.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down