The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How should the RWC be organised in future? (2)

+4
BATH_BTGOG
Feckless Rogue
Biltong
Portnoy
8 posters

Go down

How many teams should compete in future RWCs after 2015?

How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap24%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 5 ]
How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap48%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 10 ]
How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap5%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap0%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap5%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_lcap18%How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 21

How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Empty How should the RWC be organised in future? (2)

Post by Portnoy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

There seems to a bit of disparity of views about what should happen in the future.

see https://www.606v2.com/t14836-how-should-the-rwc-be-organised-in-future

I feel that there should be fewer sides in the RWC finals to reduce the number of unequal matches yet still keep the finals open to t2 nations.

I openly declare my vote - sixteen.

So in reality TV style, I put it to the public vote...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Empty Re: How should the RWC be organised in future? (2)

Post by Biltong Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

As I have stated before:

Hosted by one nation having a two tier competition.

16 top ranked sides (forget about qualifications)

next 16 ranked sides.

held at the same time in the same cities.

Tier two is played during the midweek and tier one during the weekends.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

How should the RWC be organised in future? (2) Empty Re: How should the RWC be organised in future? (2)

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

I voted for 16.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

that's being elitist.

What about growing the game on a world stage?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

true, but the 2011 world cup should have gone to Japan and not NZ
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

biltongbek wrote:that's being elitist.

Probably the best place to discuss this is https://www.606v2.com/t14836-how-should-the-rwc-be-organised-in-future

Maybe a clever mod could merge the posts. I tried the edit option but I couldn't find a way to post-create a poll.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 28 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

I have gone for 16

I understand the arguments about growing the game but the reality is that any country that doesn't have a decent domestic structure is not going to get anywhere.

Rugby is not like football. There are no real upsets. Does it really do the likes of Namibia any good to get spanked by 50 - 80 points in consecutive games? Will that make them better or encourage more people to want to pull on their rugby boots.

The current rankings show that a 16 team tournament would consist of the Tri Nations, the 6 nations, Argentina, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Georgia, Canada and Japan.

Canada it may surprise you to know are 12th just behind Italy.

Namibia are 19th so it just shows the huge drop off in ability outside that 16.

A smaller tournament would get rid of the disparities and mean 4 pools of 4 which should end the 4 day turnarounds for some sides.

A second tier tournament surely serves to cast the net wider than it does by giving more teams the opportunity to compete in a tournament, all right its not the big prize but the reality is the WC is so far out of these sides reach as to be irrelevant.

Also I think it could be dangerous putting professional athletes up against what are amateurs in many teams, Namibia only had a few professional players.

Offer the carrot of of a place in the WC to the winner of the Plate comp if you like with maybe some added funding and assistance to avoid a fall off by the time the next 4 years come around.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:02 pm

That is exactly why I say make it 2 tiers of 16 teams each
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:12 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:What about growing the game on a world stage?

You're wrong the 2015 world cup should have gone to Japan and not England.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 28 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:
BATH_BTGOG wrote:What about growing the game on a world stage?

You're wrong the 2015 world cup should have gone to Japan and not England.

The 2011 RWC was granted to NZ in the full knowledge that it would not make money (and Japan would have been a wild stab on the dark).

England was granted the 2015 on a financial basis.

Japan in 2019 is still a gamble.

The 2023 and '27 finals will most likely be granted to the Celtic Nations/Pro 12 and Oz/SA. Probably oz/SA first then the Celtic combo.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:05 pm

I'd have 8 groups of four in a preliminary competition held in different countries to spread the game and then have the top two from each progress to the final 16.

This provides a greater number of meaningful intense games without making the business end unfair and protracted.

So I've put 32 even though the finals are only 16

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down