The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0?

+12
Sand
super_realist
oldparwin
Noshankingtonite
Maverick
Rossa
Dave The Jackal
Doon the Water
barragan
Diggers
drive4show
Mercurio
16 posters

Go down

Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0? Empty Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0?

Post by Mercurio Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

Which one should I get?

I've had a go with a Clic Gear and it felt pretty amazing, i.e. very little effort to push. There's quite a difference in price between the two but is that for a good reason?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0? Empty Re: Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0?

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:57 pm

Neither!

Push trolleys defeat the purpose. If you are getting a trolley, get one that does the work for you. Trolleys are labour saving devices, either electric or carry your bag.

No point buying a dog then wagging it's tail yourself.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0? Empty Re: Push trolleys: Powakaddy Twinline 3 or Clic Gear 3.0?

Post by Diggers Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

D4S, found this link online which is quite interesting, shows you can pretty much Google anything -
http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm
Anyway although calories burned carrying rather than using push trolley are similar the scoring when using either of these is interesting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

drive4show wrote:Neither!

Push trolleys defeat the purpose. If you are getting a trolley, get one that does the work for you. Trolleys are labour saving devices, either electric or carry your bag.

drive, by the same logic no one should cycle a bike - why bother when you could have a motorbike.
personally i think push trolleys are a great alternative to carry bags. the only way i'd buy an electric trolley would be if i had more money / pro shop vouchers than i knew what to do with.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

Push trolleys are OK if you play all your golf on a flat course. Complete waste of time round my track, far too undulating for anything other than a pencil bag or electric trolley.
However, if you do play on a flat course, what happens when you go somewhere hilly? I have an electric trolley, use it for 36 holers, bad weather or winter when you need to carry lots of layers etc. Otherwise it's a pencil bag for me every time thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

Push trolley
Unless you are over 70 years old, infirm or unfit.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave The Jackal Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Big fan of the Clic Gear push trolley myself. Bought two for myself and Mrs Jackal at the start of last season, and we both find them great. Infinitely better than the pull trolleys I've used for years (since back/neck/shoulder problems made carrying a full set a mug's game).

d4s - To be fair, I'd have welcomed electric on Mon/Tues this week though, when I was pushing round a swamp-like Gleneagles! Laugh

Dave The Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

I have a Motocaddy s1 light, which despite its name is a push trolley, thats pretty good...

On the subject of push vs electric, i got s push trolley because i wanted to take the weight off my back but couldn't afford the £300+ for an electric one, so a push one at c£100 was a good compromise...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

drive4show wrote:Neither!

Push trolleys do not defeat the purpose if the purpose is not to walk 18 holes carrying a fairly heavy bag.

I've had an electric trolley and it was too much hassle - heavy, too much time spent putting it together, manoeuvrability and putting it away post-round was worse.

As I said, I've tried the Clic Gear and it was amazing: The ease and speed of which it opened; the space it takes up when put down; and the ease of pushing it. They cost £180, whereas the Powakaddy costs £95ish. The reason I started this thread is to obtain comments on the Powakaddy, not for an electric vs manual trolley debate.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Mercurio wrote: The reason I started this thread is to obtain comments on the Powakaddy, not for an electric vs manual trolley debate.

Fair enough merc, apologies for thread hijacking thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

Ok on the topic then. Never used a Push trolley I can see them being very useful for flat course's but anything with hills I can see it being hard word, especially my home course you'd blowing after 9 holes.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Maverick wrote:Ok on the topic then. Never used a Push trolley I can see them being very useful for flat course's but anything with hills I can see it being hard word, especially my home course you'd blowing after 9 holes.

You'd be blowing less than if you were carrying though which is the point of push trolley, easier than carrying...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

I use an electric one so i'm never blowing, but i actually find carrying relatively easy. However like with any trolley I can see a push one being easier than the pull variety

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

Merc
I have a pushalong Powercaddy and it is fab.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:15 pm

What's the damage on one of those pushalongs anyway, need to get mavette a trolley for her xmas present and as I say though I don't use one myself it would possibly be ideal for the young lass

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:55 am

drive4show wrote:Push trolleys are OK if you play all your golf on a flat course. Complete waste of time round my track, far too undulating for anything other than a pencil bag or electric trolley.
However, if you do play on a flat course, what happens when you go somewhere hilly? I have an electric trolley, use it for 36 holers, bad weather or winter when you need to carry lots of layers etc. Otherwise it's a pencil bag for me every time thumbsup

I managed ok on your track Drive - I made it to at least 12th without oxygen Very Happy
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:02 am

Merc - one important factor to remember; ensure that whatever you buy can be fitted with hedgehogs for winter. I have a Motocaddy S1 lite and it's great for the summer, but you cannot fit the little hedgehog to the front wheel for the wet and icy weather. With hindsight, I would have been better off getting something like the Clic gear one with 3/4 decent wheels. I just liked the Motocaddy trolley/bag combo Doh
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:06 am

Mav they cost about £95. My daughter borrows mine occasionally even though she has an electric powercaddy

If Mavette progresses as well as she has done lately you will ultimately have to buy an electric trolly for the 36 holers. Might be prudent to get one now.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:19 am

Doon that's what I've been thinking too, having actually looked at the push trolley on the back of this thread. They seem like decent pieces of kit however its the 36 hole aspect that sways me as you say toward electric

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:26 pm

I was watching all the young pro's last night on the Europro tour, a few of them had caddies, but the majority had electric trolleys, not that proves anything, but electric seems the way to go

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

oldparwin wrote:but electric seems the way to go

My point exactly! Seems some of these push trolleys cost up to £200, the GoKart is available with an 18 hole battery for £219.

Bit of a no brainer to me.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

I purchased the Clic Gear 3 (in ubiquitous white) from The Kendleshire on Friday.

Unfortunately, the brake cable snapped after 3 holes. After the round, I took it back to the Pro Shop so they could replace the cable. They presented it back to me 40 minutes later, but when I tested it was only stopping the trolley moving backwards. They tried again but it was taking time. As it was way past the closing time of the Pro Shop, they said if I dropped it back off at the end of weekend (I wanted to use it for the rest of the tour), they would get it fixed for me and send it to my home address. However, we finished at St Pierre quite late on Sunday and were too late to get to The Kendleshire before the Pro Shop closed.

It’s not difficult to be able to park the Clic Gear without the brake so I’ll live with it but it’s just annoying to have lost the facility after only 3 holes. They put the replacement cable in there so I may try and do some DIY engineering to get it working again.

It’s still a great purchase, mind.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:27 am

drive4show wrote:

My point exactly! Seems some of these push trolleys cost up to £200, the GoKart is available with an 18 hole battery for £219.

Depends if you can be arsed with all the charging really. Id be forever forgetting to charge mine and it would be a waste of time.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

Not to mention that the Go-Cart is the Sarah Jessica Parker of the trolley world, UGLY as sin.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:42 am

Diggers wrote:
drive4show wrote:

Depends if you can be arsed with all the charging really. Id be forever forgetting to charge mine and it would be a waste of time.

Its not exactly a hardship.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:48 am

Depends how much time you have to sort your gear out etc. I know some people on here insist on licking their clubs clean after every round but thats not for me.
The really good push trolleys are incredibly easy to put up and down and fold down really small, you could leave them in the boot of a car without thinking about it. I think even the good battery trolleys are a bit more of a hassle.
But its totally dependant on the individual, Im not saying there is anything wrong with using a battery trolley if thats what suits someone else.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiesfan_golfer Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

I play on one of if not the most undulating courses in the country
Yet I've always used a pull/push trolley
Saves my back without forking out for an electric one

Baggiesfan_golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue 18 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

Come on SR, you can be more scything than that!

Say what you really think! - imagine Shane Lowrey etc .,..

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 18 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

Diggers wrote:I know some people on here insist on licking their clubs clean after every round but thats not for me.
Diggers, I'm beginning to accept that a roll of the eyes is unavoidable when reading your posts!

Carry / push / pull / electric........all subjective no-one will agree. Hug

To be honest all I can say is the clic gear is a superb bit of kit; very light but solid, packs away easil and takes up very little room. Not tried the other so can't fairly comment.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

An eye roll is nothing JPX. I genuinely was left open mouthed when I read you'd shopped Gael. Actually we haven't heard from her for a while, maybe McGinley has her as part of the foundations of the clubhouse on one of his new course designs.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:10 pm

Rolling Eyes

Come on man, I didn't shop her. She's probably feeling a bit guilty now she's received the letter from them, since writing that thread!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

Either that or she's found a course where her and Mr Gael can play without being disturbed by having to be joined by other golfers. randy

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:15 pm

Just kidding, my jaw did drop though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

You must lead an exciting life if that's all it takes to shock you!

Anyway, McGinley's too busy trying trying to hole another putt to make another career out of. Quite ironic he's most famous for the part of the game that he's absolutrely terrible at.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue 18 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

Diggers wrote:D4S, found this link online which is quite interesting, shows you can pretty much Google anything -
http://golf.about.com/od/fitnesshealth/a/golfphysical.htm
Anyway although calories burned carrying rather than using push trolley are similar the scoring when using either of these is interesting.

Fantastic link. I'm getting a push trolley now, always felt I'd prefer my golf to be more like exercise so carry my bag. For the sake of 3 calories I think I'll swap to a big trolley bag and push cart. OK

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down