The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup

+35
SpacemanSpiff
Redrage
LadyPutt
Adam D
George1507
Yadsendew
oldparwin
SmithersJones
Hibbz
oldshanker
ryan86
MustPuttBetter
Doon the Water
Desperado
JPX
Lairdy
tarka
Noshankingtonite
delToro87
Caf
Bob_the_Job
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
Mercurio
dynamark
Dave The Jackal
Diggers
kwinigolfer
JAS
EmmDee57
McLaren
Maverick
drive4show
super_realist
Davie
39 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup

Post by Davie Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

First topic message reminder :

With the group stages of the Rugby world cup drawing to a close and we approach the sharp end of the tournament, I wonder how many people here are avidly following it

I know we have a rugby section here on V2 and it's pretty lively at the moment but I've noticed many golfers also seem to be keen on Rugby. I know at my club there are an awful lot of rugby fans and the big games get a large crowd to watch at the club - we even have a four nations weekend with matches between England Ireland Scotland and Wales

So who here is watching the RWC and who are we supporting?

I'm trying to work out my schedule for Saturday morning with the England/Scotland group decider at 8:30am and a tee-time at 11:10 - debating with myself whether I should watch the game at home, down the pub for breakfast or even have the (superior) breakfast at the club but then have perhaps an hour to kill before my tee-time!

Davie

Back to top Go down

A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Most skilled sport is being an F1 driver.

Here is something to think about.

next time you are taking off in a plane try to pick a mark about 50 yards ahead of you, then imagine timing hitting the brake peddle just the right amount and then reducing your speed by 120 miles per hour in less than 50 meters and then trying to take a corner on the perfect line? Then you have to judge the throttle to perfection to ensure 750 hp is efficiently used to accelerate out the corner. Not to mention all the strategy to think about and things like tyre wear.

Then do that or harder 15 times a minute for 2 hours.

Sorry, can't consider anything in which the participant is not the singlemost important element.
I don't disagree that they are fantastic athletes with great reaction times, but I don't see it as the most difficult sport. It seems you only picked it because you like to stick up for one of your sports.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: A Golfer's view of the Rugby World Cup

Post by dynamark Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

can I suggest a compromise.
F1 is an engineering competition at the very top level of motorsport,and the participants are extremely fit.Button does triathlons for fun on his days off !

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

super_realist wrote:Engineering competition first, sport a very distant second. boxing

I don't believe you're too familiar with the meanings of the word 'sport', s-r.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

F1 uses all types of coordination and reaction, although it is probably the case that most of us have similar reaction times to F1 drivers.

It is just that they can process what is happening around them more quickly and do something about it. Some of us could learn that but for them a lot of it will be instinct.

Talking of academic sports people Niko Rosberg was offered a place in aeronautical engineer at UCL.

If it is all about the car why can people like Kimi, shumi, hakkinen, Hamilton, Alonso, button, senna, prost etc outperform their teammates so frequently.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Mac,
I would have thought that of all the sports I've played, Rugby is the one that the fewest number of beginners have any sort of aptitude for. Part of that is mental, admittedly, and it could well vary from position (I was a full-back) to position.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

No one has said it's only about the car, only that it plays a major part.

There's always going to be a difference in the skill of drivers just as there are differences in teamates cars.

It seems that most people think it pretty boring though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:03 pm

Kwini

I think it was someone else who mentioned beginners.

I guess fans of rugby will never agree but I just don't see what it is about the skills of the game that you clearly think are so difficult to master.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Biggest contradiction in Mac's post

If it is all about the car why can people like Kimi, shumi, hakkinen, Hamilton, Alonso, button, senna, prost etc outperform their teammates so frequently.

The two names highlighted on the same team so hardly out performing each other likely under team orders to allow the golden child lego headed hamilton to pass

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:06 pm

super_realist wrote:I guarantee that everyone would be a better first time rugby player than a first time golfer.

Bit of a sport for people not coordinated enough to play football and who like feeling each others testicles Run

Like golf is game for retired old men with bad taste in clothes. As far as I can making a drop quick or kicking a conversion are all very similar to hitting a golf ball but actually harder as you are using your feet. And thats just one small skill within the game.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Diggers, your feet are attached to your body, of course it's easier than hitting something 1.68" in diameter at the end of a 45" shaft.

I'm sure we'll never agree but it's good fun making cases for each.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:11 pm

Lets be honest, what do they say, drive for show putt for dough. Literally an 80 year old granny can pick up a putter and have a decent chance of holing a few putts. Probably one of the easiest skills in any sport and the one that takes up the most shots by far in a round of golf.
Also most people wouldnt survive 80 minutes on a rugby pitch but even Shane Lowry can get round a golf course.
I rest my case.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:16 pm

Maverick wrote:Biggest contradiction in Mac's post

The two names highlighted on the same team so hardly out performing each other likely under team orders to allow the golden child lego headed hamilton to pass

Not really.

McLaren is obviously talking about when Hamilton and Button had other teammates - either that, or I've been missing Kimi, Senna and Prost in the last few years.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

Mac,
For me, catching a high ball with a bunch of marauding barbarians coming at me with the sole aim of decapitating me was one of the toughies.
Not to mention being the last line of defence when one of the aforesaid giants twice my size comes bearing down and muggins has to tackle him.

Both made footie, for instance, quite appealing when I was first introduced to Rugby. Ended up playing at a modest level, even represented my country (sort of, the IBM part anyway!) en Paris on the morning of the 1971 Wales game at Colombes.
The game I occasionally see on TV nowadays looks nothing like the game I saw that day, JPR et al.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

Kwini, It's something that you get used to though, it's not as if those are new things that take you by surprise.

Diggers, it's only fairly recently that Rugby players stopped looking like Shane Lowry.

I think the one thing I hate about Rugby though more than anything else is, well actually two things. 1. Chris Ashton and 2. The Underwood's mum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

Loved Rugby at school! Always remember most being largely timid when being introduced to the game. I didnt need to be asked twice to get stuck in!

Havent really followed it as a sport much and only watch the occasional 6Nations game but the world cup is more interesting. Even I notice todays games arent as exciting as the Hastings, Guscott era, which wasnt that long ago. Not expecting many mircales against Englandshire tomorrow...

In defence of Rugby its always struck me as one of the ultimate team games. Some have commented on the limited skills required, bit harsh IMO, but unless you apply the skills of Rugby as a team its pretty much useless. Not quite like Football where indivdial skill can make an impact more often.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

I really enjoy the Rugby World Cup (after the group stages), sadly though haven't seen much of this one due to timing of matches.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

Super, presumably you dont hate Chris Ashton as much as you hate Tiger Woods (I find that impossible to believe) and you can't hate the Underwoods mum anymore than you despise people who deign to push their pull trolleys surely?
Yet you still love the game of golf, despite the many (many, many, many, many) things within the game that you cant stand.
I firmly believe there is little in life that you wouldnt find something to have a pop at. If you were banging away at Kate Beckinsale you'd probably stop half way through to berate her for being in Pearl Harbor.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Well, being in Pearl Harbour would be hard to excuse.

They are loathsome things about many sports, Golf probably has more than most and there's plenty I hate about it. It's almost impossible to like Chris Ashton and his stupid diving, Tiger Woods, Mrs Underwood, Heston Blumenthal, Lorraine Kelly, davina Mcall though surely?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:47 pm

Diggers wrote:I firmly believe there is little in life that you wouldnt find something to have a pop at. If you were banging away at Kate Beckinsale you'd probably stop half way through to berate her for being in Pearl Harbor.
laughing

Super does like to have a go. I can only imagine they either absolutely love him in the clubhouse or he chases folk around the bar with his pint imparting his latest displeasure on them.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

If I was berthed in her Pearl Harbor Id be able to forgive it for sure.
I have no personal issues with any of your picks but then for me I could replace them with AA Gill, Frank Skinner, Garth Crooks and Rod Stewart and Tess Daly.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:53 pm

Some good ones in there Diggers, I'll raise you a Vanessa Feltz and a Charlie Brooker though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

i'll see your vanessa Feltz and Charlie Brooker then raise you a Gok Wan and a Jo Frost......

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

Please dont forget Russel Brand

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Two words that will end this contest once and for all - Piers Morgan mad

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

Desperado wrote:Two words that will end this contest once and for all - Piers Morgan mad

I'll see your Piers and raise you a Louis Walsh!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:00 pm

Oh dear. You see I actually enjoy Vanezza on her Radio London show, she's a very bright lady, very eloquent. Can see why people would hate her though. Brooker used to be funny before he became mainstream, how did he bag Konnie Huq though. Very odd.
Kevin Pieterson is an utter merchant...good batsmen though. Got to throwm Monty on there as well Im afraid (even ahead of Gunner Poulter). David Starkey as well, but you might like his politics SR.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Nick Clegg

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Maverick wrote:
Desperado wrote:Two words that will end this contest once and for all - Piers Morgan mad

I'll see your Piers and raise you a Louis Walsh!

Not even close! You might have got away with a Cowell though

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Oh heavens, how did I forget Russel Brand. Well spotted Davie.
Louis Walsh, Simon Cowell and Cheryl No Talent Cole also deserve special mention plus Ken Livingstone

Last edited by super_realist on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

How about the ultimate tool in the box........... Nick Griffin......... boxing

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

I heard Mother Theresa was a right evil bitch.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Desperado Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:04 pm

At the risk of upsetting Mac, Ed Balls might also be hard to beat in a game of Utter B3ll End Top Trumps

Desperado

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

V good.
Felz is dire on the radio.jamie Oliver deserves a mention.
To think Davina Mcall earns money for her efforts depresses me greatly.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

I actually quite like Gok Wan, I beleive he has a lot to offer most golfers in terms of helping them dress better.

What is wrong with Davina Mcall, she seems nice and is so hot.

No one can beat the dick head that does the sport on BBC breakfast.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:59 pm

Mac, she's far from hot, while Gok is just a needless mincer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

What is a mincer?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:07 pm

Tarka and D4S~do we have a Scottish settlement down there now.

World domination next.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

I ask where is the skill in this;

A little taster of the speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seget3zOj_8&feature=fvst

Now look at this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcHVTPLYmQ
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

Still boring.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:58 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

If I wanted to I could perfect all the skills required for rugby, in fact I was quite good as a youth without even liking or taking the game seriously.

I could spend 8 hours a day with the best coaches in the world playing football, F1, golf, tennis etc and never get better than good. Passing and catching a ball is not difficult.

Sadly, you confirm my thoughts on your knowledge of rugby and, given your remarks, I sincerely doubt you were remotely "good as a youth". You could not "perfect" all the skills for rugby; don't be so ridiculous and if you think the only skill involved is passing and catching a ball I suggest you quit embarrassing yourself.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat 01 Oct 2011, 6:39 am

What the hell has Gok Wan got that he can offer to a golfers dress sense, can't say I'd want to see those god awful skinny jeans that only a lady boy can comfortably wear without feeling the squeeze on the old crown jewels. Or perhaps one of those daft scarfs that would work better as a noose around his neck is the order of the day. I'm now begining to think you may take your own fashion tips from the GOK himself Mac.

Also can I REALLY you don't know what a mincer is!.......

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:29 am

I know very little about rugby but just watched the game and I feel I should say 'Go on England!' OK
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

Get in Chris Ashton....I love you!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:01 am

Oh well......another glorious failure by the Scots. At least we went down fighting boxing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

England were awful, very negative game plan but a win is a win ad they say.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:23 am

I didn't see it Diggers, but by all accounts they were dreadful. I heard the hateful Brian Moore on the radio saying that the likes of Australia, NZ and South Africa would be fearing England now that England have "topped their group".
I should think they would be delighted to play them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

Momentum is a funny thing Super, England played to not lose by 8, they can't do that from now on. Australia and the Saffers aren't great anyway, it should really be a Kiwi cakewalk but if anyone can keep it tight against them for 60 mins then they could choke again, lot of pressure on them.
And England don't concede tries......

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

It is indeed though, but you'd be putting patriotism before realism if anyone thinks England are good enough to win this.
They don't concede many tries, but they do concede rather too many penalties.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

People were saying exactly the same in 2007. Don't get me wrong, I'd have the kiwis as massive favourites , but they have been there before and blown it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 01 Oct 2011, 12:15 pm

As have England. Just can't see them doing it, rubbish sport anyway full of fat people. Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next