The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Debate v2!

5 posters

Go down

The Big Debate v2! Empty The Big Debate v2!

Post by ADMIN Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm

The Big Debate!

A while back on 606 Hobo created the ‘Big Debate’ series of articles. I thought as ‘The Ultimate Worrier’ resurfaced today I’d also bring back his other masterpiece.

So here’s my topic...

Is the IWC bad for wrestling?

We are the masses of the tinterweb, we champion CM Punk, we moan at a Superman Cena push, we laugh/groan at yet another Russo heel swerve, we plead for a Christian title shot.

But are we beneficial to wrestling?

Would WWE etc be better off without us?

Now before you all rip into me for the following this is aimed at me just as much as the IWC, these points below are all things I’m guilty of!

We stop the pushes for the guys we want!
When Christian the IWC favourite returned to WWE he was earmarked to be the person who was involved in the attacks on Jeff Hardy, it would have propelled hinm straight back into the spotlight with what was then the guy who was getting the best pops in the industry (bigger than Cena at the time).
Sure WWE telegraphed it, but it’s our fault they then swerved it to change to Matt because the internet was awash with the rumours.

We cheer the wrong people!
A couple of years ago WWE had three guys on top of their form as three very different heel personalities. Edge, Orton and Jericho.
What did we, the ‘smart’ fan do? We cheered them. Whilst the kids booed as Cena & HHH etc were getting beaten, we went against the grain and supported da bad guy. Don’t we follow the panto script?

We spoil it for ourselves!
We predict everything, as soon as one Mania is over we’re busy plotting what the next one will be and how very dare the WWE when they have the same train of thought, that’s then regarded as being too predictable, if they go with something else then we moan that our idea was better.

We don’t buy anything!
We don’t buy merchandise, we rarely buy PPVs due to streaming, generally we’re the guys that make the most noise for the smallest return, we’re the one guy in the restaurant that orders the cheapest thing off the menu but causes more fuss than the party of 10 who enjoy their meal. Why should Vince care what we think?

We’re stuck in the past!
We look back on other eras as better as the current because we know better. For many that’s the Attitude era as the pinnacle, but then those who grew up on the New Generation look down on you, and heaven forbid if you were brought up on the Golden Age, everyone is fair game then! (well except the fans of the pre Hogan era).

We’re snobs!
We daren’t ever comment on a Cena promo being good, that’d have you cast out as a pariah quicker than saying Chris Benoit 5 times in a mirror. But pretend that you’re a avid follower of the Japanese circuit and that KENTA is your favourite wrestler will have everyone clamouring for your opinion.

In summary: Do we, the IWC assist wrestling? Or do we actually make it worse?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

The Big Debate v2! Empty Re: The Big Debate v2!

Post by Adam D Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:05 pm

In truth, I dont think we make a difference.

Example in hand - the 21/2/11 promos.

For those who thought it was Sting/ undertaker its irrelevant. Between the IWC we all were going to tune in irrelevant of the information we thought we had. Did it effect what WWE were doing or their viewing figures?

No - the non IWC would have tuned in anyway. The IWC went into overtime but they dont effect viewing figures because largely they watch it anyway and are too embarassed to tell normal people to watch WWE!

If anything, the only thing effected by the IWC is TNA. They obviously listen and then try and use the mood on their for their product - would they have bothered doing the 3/3/11 promos if it wasnt for the IWCs reaction to the WWE ones?

Highly unlikely.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobby Roode Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:18 pm

Should this not be called The Mass Debate v2? Shocked

Bobby Roode

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:28 pm

Hero wrote:
We spoil it for ourselves!
We predict everything, as soon as one Mania is over we’re busy plotting what the next one will be and how very dare the WWE when they have the same train of thought, that’s then regarded as being too predictable, if they go with something else then we moan that our idea was better.

Great point, we do spoil it for ourselves. I went through a long period of not going on any other wrestling site apart from wwe.com and just watched the shows for what they were, and during this time my enjoyment of watching the product increased.

However, I missed the rumours and the backstage news and all the other stuff you don't get from the tv programmes. I think some of the IWC may benefit from going off spoiler sites and forums for a period and see if they enjoy the shows more. Some members of the IWC follow the popular opinion of the IWC like sheep rather than making their own minds up based on what they see (hopefully I am not too much of a sheep, I like Cena Wink )

To conclude, IWC good, some people take it too extremes

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:52 pm

I think it's mainly due to the nature of wrestling itself. It's no longer an 'insider' industry like the magicians circle. The internet and the growth of MMA have revealed wrestling to be at best performance art and at worse a complete pantomime. The IWC is a product of the evolution of wrestling. I think its good not to take things at face value all the time, even if its meant to be kayfabe. Most people would call wrestling fans silly for following something that is predetermined. The IWC allows fans to intelligently deconstruct the fabrication that is pro wrestling and admire it for its virtues as well as moan about its mistakes.

For me I've watched wrestling since I was a kid and even though I most probably believed it to be real when I first started watching, I have for a very long time known it is predetermined; but it's become something I feel very familiar with and understand. I understand kayfabe, I understand the protagonist/antagonist relationship of faces and heels and I understand the value of selling, spot monkeying, no-selling etc None of that might make sense to someone who only has a passing knowledge of wrestling so the IWC is a great outlet to discuss these issues amongst other informed fans.

It's also about nostalgia; I think nostalgia is important in every sport, otherwise fans wouldn't cling on to memories of past successes for their favourite football teams etc. Wrestling is no different. We watch and analyse and enjoy but at the same time we reflect and compare the present to the past.

But yes sometimes I think the IWC does shoot itself in the foot. Sometimes fans can become arrogant and judgemental of other fans and we can fall into the trap of escapism where we spend too long speculating and debating hypothetical storylines and PPV cards.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down