The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's problems and potential solutions

+31
funnyExiledScot
Comfort
fa0019
Portnoy
formerly known as Sam
gavstar
propdavid_london
stlowe
Astonal
DaveM
SuperTanker
munkian
TheGreyGhost
Bitter Beer
damage_13
Glas a du
mystiroakey
tomathy
englandglory4ever
maestegmafia
EnglishReign
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
whocares
LondonTiger
Geordie
Eustace H Plimsoll
rodders
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dummy_half
Metal Tiger
beshocked
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

England's problems and potential solutions - Page 3 Empty England's problems and potential solutions

Post by beshocked Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:32 am

First topic message reminder :

There is no doubt England have been poor in the world cup. Why?

Who do you think are at fault?

Is it the lack of talent in English rugby? Not in my opinion. In recent years we have consistently been one of the best countries in JWCs, have been arguably the best in the U20s 6 nations. Could it be the England management not picking enough of the best players in the AP?

It does strike me as odd that the England juniors match the SH on a regular basis, beating South Africa and Australia yet our seniors look clueless.

Is it simply poor selection in key areas?

Glaring weaknesses like the backrow and centres stand out like a sore thumb.

A heavy reliance on out of form players like Youngs and Wilkinson.

Why do England's players seem so mediocre?

Do you think it's the gameplan?

Why are the Welsh and Irish playing so well and we aren't? I cannot believe that their players are simply better. If they were we wouldn't trounce Wales' juniors on a regular basis.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

England's problems and potential solutions - Page 3 Empty Re: England's problems and potential solutions

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:15 am

maestegmafia wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
stlowe wrote:Beshocked, I quizzed you on this elsewhere, but how can you go for Morgan at 8?

Quite aside from him not plying his trade in the AP, making his selection unlikely, he's entertaining playing for Wales, so I would question his dedication to the England shirt, and there's what I've said before:

A lot of praise was heaped on Morgan last season, but he hasn't really been tested. He barely featured in their HC campaign (just the Treviso games) and he's yet to face Heaslip, O'Brien or Leamy. Thomas most definitely got the better of him when Ospreys beat Scarlets 60-17 last.

No different to Toby Faletau who is one of the best number eights in the world right now...!
The days of England picking an international team full of hardened HEC winners stopped nearly ten years ago. English rugby as a club game isn't where it was. One English team always does well in the HEC but not several like ten years ago.

Living in past glories will not help you build for the future.
maesteg, I wouldn't go quite that far just yet - he's playing very well, and is part of an outstanding backrow unit, but I think he's got a way to go before he can be considered in the same light as Parisse, Harinordiquay, Read, etc. - I believe that he might get there if he carries on like he is tho OK
He just out played Harinourdiquy and Heaslip two of the best. I guess we will have to wait for the match ups against Ried and Parisse.
Wouldn't argue with that at all, but we need to see him doing it consistently as those four do OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3