The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf in Portugal - help appreciated

+3
BlueCoverman
super_realist
Noel
7 posters

Go down

Golf in Portugal - help appreciated Empty Golf in Portugal - help appreciated

Post by Noel Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm

Recently returned from golf trip to Spain including visit to PGA Catalunya and Playa D'aro, must say very impressed with both. Views on the latter amazing and also loved the layout of PGA Catalunya 9also had some great views). Location we stayed in namely Platja D'aro was also surprisingly good, with many nice bars and restaurants. Weather superb too.
When we got back one of the lads booked a Villa for ten in Albufeira, near the old town, for September next year. The pictures of the villa look really good with a very large games room which should be fun and either an opportunity to make a few quid or lose a few quid!
Anyway we are about to book the courses,probably three in all. Can people please recommend courses in the area,not too far away - say within thirty mins, and in particular any hidden or less known gems.

Noel

Back to top Go down

Golf in Portugal - help appreciated Empty Re: Golf in Portugal - help appreciated

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:48 pm

I wouldn't get too excited to be honest about Albufeira as it's a complete dump. There are however some decent looking courses around there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Golf in Portugal - help appreciated Empty Re: Golf in Portugal - help appreciated

Post by Noel Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:02 pm

s_r,

I believe so,but as I understand it the old town isn't too bad. Also, villa has a big pool with fantastic bbq area that I'm sure will be well used. In any event, we'll have a ball no matter where we are. I've always said of the likes of Benidorm , which I've been to, if you can't have fun there or places of its type when away with the lads there is something seriously wrong with your humour! I do not think it's the type of place to go away with missus and/or kids but with the lads a little different.

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:15 pm

Couldn't agree more Noel.

A couple of years ago a few of the lads in our group that go away every year were on a bit of a budget and the guy who organises the trip booked a 2 star hotel in Magaluf to keep the costs down.

Can't say I was looking forward to it that much but what a laugh it turned out to be and the golf courses in Mallorca aren't bad either. Never knew that I could survive on 3 hours sleep a night for a whole week before then!...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:44 am

Noel, you'll be within half an hour of the Oceanico courses in Vilamoura (The Old & the Victoria being the pick of them). I stayed in a villa just west of Albufeira in May and was about a mile away from Salgados...less than half the price of the big Vilamoura courses but a very enjoyable test (unless you're aquaphobic - yes there's a LOT of water). It brought out the best in me for some strange reason, my game was shot to Poopie before I went and it was the same when I returned but out there I had 4 blinding rounds, 3 on Salgados and one on the Old Course.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:50 am

I agree with JAS, The Old Course is excellent and Victoria is probably the toughest test I've had (Rough was up as I played it just after the Portugues Open) Both great courses, but the rest of the Oceanico tracks are a waste of space. Don't book on-line though as you'll be expected to pay full whack, which is ridiculous, give them a ring

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:39 am

JAS and Doc, thanks for help. I'll defo get them booked by ringing. Also, someone mentioned Salgados and looked at it on net,looks fun.

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:00 am

Salgados teaches you to hit it straight either that you're in the water.

But beware the smell.!!! warning

Last edited by SetupDeterminesTheMotion on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

Salagados - it's ok after rain, or when they've been watering it.

When it's dry though it's terrible - perfectly good shots roll off the fairway and into the water.

I resorted to playing irons off tees to keep the ball on dry land - I played with a 4 handicapper who lost 9 balls in 9 holes and walked in.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down