The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Wishon

+2
super_realist
Doc
6 posters

Go down

Tom Wishon Empty Tom Wishon

Post by Doc Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

I have a hole to fill between my 3-wood and 22 degree U-Iron, which has always been there, but not a major problem. Last week in Spain brought the gap into question a lot more, so am in need of a 5-wood. Contacted my fitter and asked him to knock me one up, and he mentioned that I should try the Wishon 949. He said it's as good if not better than my normal make.

Has anyone any experience of Wishon kit? I know he's a top designer and you can't buy his stuff off the shelf and he's won loads of awards etc, etc. But is his equipment as good as his hype and marketing?

Thanks

Doc

Back to top Go down

Tom Wishon Empty Re: Tom Wishon

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:51 pm

I know you can pick up the iron heads pretty cheaply. The blades look quite nice too. Not sure about the woods though, I always find that these small clubmakers borrow heavily on the design of outdated clubs, and those 949 woods look very old indeed. Like an old Callaway Hawkeye 3 wood.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 06 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

I have the Ping G10 5 wood, super club would recommend it to anyone.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

exotics xcg 3 is what you need, longest in the world according to Golf Digest. I have a 16.5 deg 4w. They are between 250-300 new but you can get them on ebay in excellent nick sometimes for sub 100, mine was about 75 pounds, been hit only a couple of times, fujikura motore shaft, new exotics golf pride multicompound grip

Last edited by tarka on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : incomprehensible gibberish)

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 06 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

super_realist wrote:I know you can pick up the iron heads pretty cheaply. The blades look quite nice too. Not sure about the woods though, I always find that these small clubmakers borrow heavily on the design of outdated clubs, and those 949 woods look very old indeed. Like an old Callaway Hawkeye 3 wood.

SR the original 2008 design (Golf Digest Hot List Award) does seem a bit dated, but the new 2011 model apparently gets the job done http://wishongolf.com/designs/fairway-woods/949mc/

I've read a few reviews and all seem to rave about the 949, but not seen any recent reviews of this model OK

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 06 Oct 2011, 6:00 pm

Must say having looked at the link they are a fine looking club especially the crown classic looking indeed.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 06 Oct 2011, 7:25 pm

I have a set of Wishon irons that I am very happy with. 560MCs for those that are interested.

Earlier this year I swapped a hybrid for a fairway wood and debated one of the Wishon range. I'm not 100% sure which one, could be the 949, as I prefer the look of a smaller clubhead rather the brick on a stick approach that most clubs now look like. In the end I got another Titleist, from ebay, because it was cheaper and matched my other fairway wood.

A couple of guys at my club use the same fitter and he made a Wishon wood this year for each of them. Both seem to be hitting the ball well and appear to be very happy with what they have got. Not sure which models they are using but will check and update this later Doc.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum