The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tigers vs Quins

+7
HammerofThunor
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
yappysnap
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
formerly known as Sam
11 posters

Go down

Tigers vs Quins Empty Tigers vs Quins

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

Leicester Tigers (v Harlequins, Welford Road, Saturday 4.45pm)
15 Niall Morris
14 Mathew Tait
13 Matt Smith
12 Billy Twelvetrees
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Jeremy Staunton
9 Sam Harrison
1 Boris Stankovich
2 George Chuter (c)
3 Julian White
4 Ed Slater
5 Geoff Parling
6 Steve Mafi
7 Ben Woods
8 Julian Salvi

Replacements
16 Tom Youngs
17 Michael Holford
18 Peter Bucknall
19 Graham Kitchener
20 Ben Pienaar
21 James Grindal
22 Scott Hamilton
23 George Ford

Looks like we were cruely tempted with the return of the great man himself (Castro) but a slight hamstring injury sees him rested. I think had Big Jules not been available he would have been risked but as White is back Castro is being given a rest period. Alesana is back on the wing, although, Chuter has somehow managed to maintain his place at hooker despite the form of the impressive Tom Youngs. A slight shock selection in Sam Harrison the England under 20 is a real prospect with a bullet pass, good footballing skilss and some nifty acceleration but he is very much on the slight side.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Tigers vs Quins Empty Re: Tigers vs Quins

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

and the Quins team...

15 MIKE BROWN
14 SEB STEGMANN
13 GEORGE LOWE
12 JORDAN TURNER-HALL
11 SAM SMITH
10 NICK EVANS
9 KARL DICKSON
1 JOE MARLER
2 CHRIS BROOKER
3 TIM FAIRBROTHER
4 OLLIE KOHN
5 GEORGE ROBSON
6 CHRIS ROBSHAW ©
7 LUKE WALLACE
8 CHRIS YORK

THE BENCH
16 JOE GRAY "FR"
17 MARK LAMBERT "FR"
18 JAMES JOHNSTON "FR"
19 CHARLIE MATTHEWS
20 WILL SKINNER
21 RICHARD BOLT
22 RORY CLEGG
23 TOM CASSON

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

On form you've got to say Quins will win this, but I just have a sneaky feeling that Leicester will sneak this.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Marler vs White - two red cards waiting to happen?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

I saw them in A League final two or so years ago and to say there was some off the ball altercations would have been to put it lightly. Marler was determined to get in a fight with White and Green got some of the action as well. Great scrummaging battle between the two with White finishing on top but not by much, same as the score on the night.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

I expect White to show Marler the finer points of scrummaging again on Sat, but then I also expect Marler to show the old boy there's more to the props role then just scrummaging.

I'd be upset if Joe gets himself carded again this time round but still expect plenty of niggle while he's there, he's just that kind of plyer and to be frank the Quins pack need it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:45 pm

It's good for your prop to have a bit of dog in him, but Marler is of no use to Quins if he spends 10 minutes in the sin bin every match.

He's a talented young man, but looks as if he might need a little steering in the right direction.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

All packs need at least one player to bring some niggle, let's face it Tigers have more than one on any ordinary occasion and have done so for years. It's one of the major failings in young Brookes, every other tighthead at the club gets well stuck in but the young lad will learn. Marler has got to be careful as he is an up and coming player who is quickly earning a reputation for being hot headed trouble. There's a line between a bit of niggle and getting yourself carded and for him the line blurs to frequently at the moment.

I'll be interested to see how young Sam Harrison deals with the athletic Quins backrow, he is a footballing 9 of an almost French style but is roughly the same size as Ford. Will be interesting to see whether he keeps the Quins backrow interested and gives Staunton time on the ball or whether the Quins backrow use their mobility and physicality to disrupt the Tigers flow.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

Strongest looking Tigers side we've seen this season but the possibility of Ben " he's still got a contract?" Pieennar on the bench is a sure sign that resources are still stretched tight.

Calling Quins on this.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

Is this game on tv gents?

Is it bad that i'm more excited about this match then the EngvFra game?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

Bit harsh that Peter, Pienaar was looking like he was on the verge of breaking into the first team before that nasty injury last season. Have to say I don't rate him as highly as young Tom Armes though it seems that Cockerill certainly rates him as he was getting starts this time last year. I'm hoping we deploy a backrow of Pienaar, Armes, de Carpienter in the Low Value Cup though.

Yappy, ESPN have Saints vs Chiefs followed by Tigers vs Quins tomorrow. So not only is it on tv it's with good commentary.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Marler's played 30 games (22 starts) in the ACC and Jeff and had 2 yellows and a red. Not THAT bad.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:17 pm

In a season and a bit he's had 1 red, 2 yellow and 2 citings both resulting in bans? Compare that to Ayerza with which he had the fisty cuffs last season who is an international loosehead and one of the best looseheads in the league. In five seasons he has received no yellow cards and 1 red card (for headbutting Marler) with his 1 citing coming from that red card. Even the notorious Julian White has only 3 yellow and 2 red since the 2003-04 season. Admittedly probabley more citings and bans but he has a reputation.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Do you think there is any bad blood between Quins and Leicester based on last season's game at Quins?

This is a very tough game to call. Surely Leicester aren't going to lose to Quins at WR? That would be a huge kick in the teeth. I reckon they will be fired up for this one.

Leicester by 5 in my opinion but Quins have form on their side and less players missing...

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

beshocked wrote:Do you think there is any bad blood between Quins and Leicester based on last season's game at Quins?

Its all fake Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:44 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Bit harsh that Peter, Pienaar was looking like he was on the verge of breaking into the first team before that nasty injury last season. Have to say I don't rate him as highly as young Tom Armes though it seems that Cockerill certainly rates him as he was getting starts this time last year. I'm hoping we deploy a backrow of Pienaar, Armes, de Carpienter in the Low Value Cup though.

Yappy, ESPN have Saints vs Chiefs followed by Tigers vs Quins tomorrow. So not only is it on tv it's with good commentary.

It was more a joke about how few games hes played for Tigers despite being with the club for what seems like an eternity now.
He only ever seems to make the team when theres an absolute crisis, and I always think "wow he still plays fo rus doesnt he" when I see the name.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

12-5 for Quins. Tait injured again.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 08 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Oh well at least theres a few tigers coming back soon

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 08 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

Good game Leicester.

You had a lot more of your old grunt and smarts about you but again the tackling was poor and there was very little threat on the wings.

Players returning really helped your set piece as well, your line out and scrum were strong when not a lottery, only fading in the crucial last 20 when certain key senior players were probably knackered!

Parling is looking good to be straight back in to the Saxons from that display, i'm sure you'll be pleased to hear.

I am chuffed with that result though, denying tigers a bp, ending comfortably against them, you have to say Quins are looking strong.

Luke Wallace was my MoM but a brilliant grafting/lineout display from Robson to get the official award.
Also brilliant displays (again) from Robshaw, Brown and Evans.

Wallace for the Saxons aslong with Brown, Lowe and JTH? Quite possibly. Wallace looked a class above the other backrow players toniight and comprehensively showed up Leicesters salvi.

Lots to be happy about at the moment and it's an odd feeling for a Quins fan.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

It was more a joke about how few games hes played for Tigers despite being with the club for what seems like an eternity now.

He's still in his early 20s and like most academy players under Cockerill has been made to work for his starts. Just unfortunate for him that he picked up that injury which brought about a 12 month lay off.

only fading in the crucial last 20 when certain key senior players were probably knackered

Which I couldn't understand because we had Bucknall on the bench who is half decent in scrum (but not a lot else) and the dynamic Tom Youngs as well. Why they were brought on with only 8 minutes to go I don't know. To be honest I'd have had Youngsy starting as he is better in the scrum, as good in the lineout and on another level in the loose compared to George Chuter. Very frustrating game from a Tigers point of view with multiple chances butchered through poor handling and some dodgey passing. Only bright points were Harrison the young scrum half and the continuing excellence from the second row partnership of Slater and Parling.

Wallace for the Saxons aslong with Brown, Lowe and JTH?

Thought Wallace and Brown were excellent but Lowe didn't make his presence felt as much as I thought he would and with Trinder knocking about there's competition but he should get a spot in there. Thought JTH was quite poor though, little to obvious in his choice to continually crash the ball against Twelvetrees who was up to the job (I did miss some of the first half mind so I need to check the old SKY+ tonight).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

I can't see Lowe in the Saxons ahead of Trinder and Joseph, both of whom have more potential.

Wallace looks like the best prospect at 7 since Rees. I think he'll go straight into the senior side if he keeps playing like this through to the spring.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

What does Lowe lack that he's consistently so low in the pecking order? He's fast, strong, a slippery runner and his positional sense is exceptional. He's pushed a full Argentine international out of the Quins squad and has consistently maintained that level of performance for over two seasons.

The only deficiency I can see is that he's smaller than, say, Tuilagi.

Joseph and Trinder also have high potential. Given the conversion rate of good club players to great internationals is pretty low, I'd like to see all three given some exposure at Saxons level.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:52 pm

The sad thing is all of these players, Tuilagi, Lowe, JJ, Trinder, are outside centres.

We are crying out for a 12 really. There are options, Farrell, 36, JTH, but none seem to be staking their claim quite as much as the 13's, although having said that if Farrell gets more gametime at 12, I think he could be the long term solution for England there.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

Lowe is the OC equivalent of Allen. Good enough to have a key role in a good club side, but lacking that something special that will trouble the best at international level. Basically I just think Trinder and JJ have more about them, not to mention Tuilagi. If Lowe had come through 5 years ago then he would have played for England far more than I think he now will.

And OC doesn't look too bad to me. Barritt will do a solid job, and if Twelvetrees is still starting games in the centre for Tigers come the spring then he'll be in with a real chance. Farrell and JTH are other options, as is either Banahan or Tuilagi at IC. I doubt we'll ever see Hape or Tindall at IC again. I wouldn't totally rule out Flutey though.

Last edited by DaveM on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:45 pm

Has Casson had a run out at centre this season? I remember him being a superb IC at the 2010 JWC. Can't see him getting many opportunities behind JTH though, which is a shame, because first glimpses suggested he might be a bit more rounded.

If Barritt isn't starting for England come the 6N, something is very wrong.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:32 am

Got to agree with niwatts if Barritt is maintain this level of form right through to the 6N he has to be starting. His kicking skills seem to be his only weakness at the minute and a combination of Barritt and Manu would lock down the midfield defence and give a variety of power, pace and passing abilities for the England fly half to utilise, would be a great weight off of the mind of the 10 to know that both centres will power over the gainline every time if you're under the cosh.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:21 pm

Before Flood played 12 I literally remember our various 12's kicking the ball once.So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

They must get Barritt in to the EPS for the 6N's and to be honest i wouldn't be surprised to see 36 in there too.

Casson hasn't played much at all for Quins first team, it's a combination of the starting partnership being key to our game and that last season when he played he really struggled with the step up. I expect to see him playing this weekend in the LV perhaps with Chisholm if he isn't injured.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm

They certainly do need some fresh blood in at 12 and Barritt is definitley the form choice. Would be silly to over look him in my opinion.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Once Casson's fully fit I can see him sharing the IC role with JTH. Tofty let slip on Saturday that he prefers a playmaker at 12. I think he's got huge potential - more than a hint of Greenwood in his playing style. But we shall see if he can make the step up to AP level soon enough.

JTH has looked very good so far this year, though. Still can't kick much, but his distribution is really fizzing, he's drawing two tacklers when he runs, and crucially he is making better choices about what to do.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down