The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A great shame.

+7
Cari
Mickado
Taylorman
Knowsit17
nganboy
wales606
Looseheaded
11 posters

Go down

A great shame. Empty A great shame.

Post by Looseheaded Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:01 am

Being a Welsh supporter, it's needless to say that I am absolutely ecstatic with the result, but at the same time, I'm left with a shred of sadness that a team of Ireland's quality are being left aside whilst either France or England (neither of whom have performed this tournament) will be through to the semis at least. Also I am left upset that I may have seen the last of some of the greatest players of my generation, I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland's quality leaders and gamechangers were to retire from the international game, though to see them go is not something i enjoy. I have no real point to this article, apart from my commiserations to the Ireland fans and players, and the reminder that in an ideal world, both sides would be through. Well played to both sides, hopefully we can all get behind Wales now, and hope they make it through to new heights. Here's to the celtic contingent pushing through to the final.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

A great shame. Empty Re: A great shame.

Post by wales606 Sat 08 Oct 2011, 8:08 am

+1
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:47 am

Same thing for Argentina and South Africa.
They have some great players who are probably finished.
Contemponi, Matfield, Smith, Botha
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:09 am

Seeing Ledesma sobbing as he left the park really made my heart sink. Just think, a staggering 15 years of running the green for his country, familiar feelings and senses comparable to childhood memories, coming to a close yesterday. I couldn't feel more for him Sad

That of course goes to every player mentioned above. It's hard to say that world class players like BOD and ROG didn't deserve more for their commitment to international careers.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 10 Oct 2011, 3:51 am

Absolutely agree. We've also had so many that missed out cup time- Lomu was certainly one who with 15 tries as the still leading try scorer in the event that perhaps deserved a Wcup title more than most, such was his dedication to the jersey and event.

This time the current crop have made it a point to represent a lot of ours who went close but missed out.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

Fair play to you. I’m still gutted about the game but have zero complaints. We were outplayed tactically and physically. Ireland have a lot of soul searching to do now but that’s not for this thread. Congratulations Wales and best of luck against France.

I’m still really depressed about the whole thing but reading nice testimonials like this is making it easier OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

I've said all along that I wish Ireland and Wales hadn't had to meet each other because it meant that one of us would have to go. If the boot was on the other foot, I most certainly would've been supporting Ireland all the way. However, I also understand why some Irish fans might not want to support Wales, and that's entirely up to them. Some fans might not even have that much interest in the WC at all, and that's fair enough too. Hug

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

I agree with this. France of 2011 are effectively the England of 2007. A side poorly coached but with a small leadership group trying to find anywhich way of scraping through.

Both South Africa (another poorly prepared side) and Ireland would have destroyed France.

I hope there's no illusions about Lievremont. This France side are in the semis despite him, not because of him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:14 am

It should be of a concern to you, as a Welsh supporter, that France havent performed yet; they are due a good game, and think that unfortunately Wales will be on the ned of it!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:23 am

The Irish, fans and players, have been true gentleman and it's a shame they must go. However I am alarmed at the the expectation within some of the press that BOD may choose to retire though. It's way too early for him. He played brilliantly on Saturday and whilst he will no doubt be dissapointed the 6N's do still matter!

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:26 am

I don't think many of the Irish boys will retire just yet.

I think they will at least play the 6 nations and then maybe say goodbye in front of their own fans.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:31 am

I'm equally as surprised by the talk of Irish players retiring. Off the top of my head I think only Darcy is without a central contract (and among the players being touted for retirement). BOD, ROG, POC, DOC all have at least 1 more season in them.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down