The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preistland an injury concern

+14
majesticimperialman
rumpelstiltskindoh
gelodge
Seagultaf
Casartelli
flyhalffactory
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
polotechnics
Cymroglan
Rollmeister
maestegmafia
wonder_man
wales606
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Preistland an injury concern Empty Preistland an injury concern

Post by wales606 Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15226972.stm

Fly-half Rhys Priestland is Wales' latest injury worry ahead of their World Cup semi-final against France in Auckland on Saturday.

Priestland, 24, departed the 22-10 quarter-final win over Ireland in the 77th minute nursing a shoulder injury.

Lock Luke Charteris also sustained a shoulder blow while worries have eased over centre Jamie Roberts' nose injury.

Assistant coach Robert Howley said: "Hopefully they'll get better as the week goes on."

Priestland's arm was in a sling when Wales arrived in Auckland ahead of the last-four tie at Eden Park.

James Hook took over from Priestland and if the latter is ruled out of the France encounter, Stephen Jones would also be a contender to wear the number 10 jersey.

Charteris was replaced at half-time by Bradley Davies after making 16 first-half tackles against Ireland.

Medical student Roberts, of Cardiff Blues, received treatment during the bruising contest in which his forceful running proved effective, but is unlikely to be a major selection concern.

Wales coach Warren Gatland said of Newport Gwent Dragon Charteris: "It's just 24 hours just to assess him and hopefully it's not too serious."

Wales have made the last four only once - at the inaugural tournament in 1987.

They lost 48-6 to eventual winners New Zealand in the semi-finals, but went on to finish third by beating Australia 22-21 in the play-off in Rotorua.

Without Preistland I would be very worried about France, the same if Roberts cant play. :/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Preistland an injury concern Empty Re: Preistland an injury concern

Post by wonder_man Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Personally i would opt for Hook anyway. Preistlands doing great but Hook is on a different level. Saying that hes not played 10 all tournament so it is a bit of a concern.

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 pm

I wouldn't feel confident playing Hook at 10 against the French.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm sure Rhys will pull through. But it's great to also have hook and Steven jones in the wings to help out if Rhys is unavailable.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

wonder_man wrote:Personally i would opt for Hook anyway. Preistlands doing great but Hook is on a different level. Saying that hes not played 10 all tournament so it is a bit of a concern.

What makes you say that? There is a reason why Priestland is our 1st choice flyhalf, and it was before Hook's injury

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

aye, we're in a very lucky position to have to other great 10's to call on if needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

IronMike wrote:
wonder_man wrote:Personally i would opt for Hook anyway. Preistlands doing great but Hook is on a different level. Saying that hes not played 10 all tournament so it is a bit of a concern.

What makes you say that? There is a reason why Priestland is our 1st choice flyhalf, and it was before Hook's injury

Priestland's doing great but Hook is our best player. Once Hook get's a run at 10 for Perpignan he will be first choice.

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Hook isn't our best player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Hook isn't our best player.

I agree. He makes some impressive moves sometimes, but at the moment I think his frailties outweigh his individual brilliance.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Injuries heal much quicker the week before a world cup semi final than they would in the Pro12.
I'm sure they will be fine.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by polotechnics Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I still can't believe people want to pick Hook over Priestland.

Mike Hall was at it again on ITV Wales yesterday.

Infact I cant think of a more inappropriate game to pick Hook at 10.

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Rollmeister wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Hook isn't our best player.

I agree. He makes some impressive moves sometimes, but at the moment I think his frailties outweigh his individual brilliance.

Maybe a few seasons ago but now i dont know where these arguments are coming from. Hook is more than value for a place in the first 15 and you surely can't deny hes atleast one of our top players.

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Hook is not better than Priestland at 10, Hook is not better than Davies or Roberts at centre, Hook is not better than 1/2p at full back. Where exactly is it you want to play him??

He's a brilliant bench option for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 pm

France is going to a much tougher game. Let's hope Lievremont sticks with his mad plan of playing Parra at 10 coz Priestland could well be outclassed by Trinh Duc who oozed class when he came on. RP's distribution was excellent yesterday, but his kicking out of hand was poor, especially in the 1st half when he got charged down and kicked aimlessly to the Irish midfield.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 pm

He is one of our top players, and he has proven at times to have game changing moments.

But he hasnt played 10 since the autumn tests and hes just got back from injury. If Priestland is fit I would definitely start him. Hook is a great player to have on the bench because he is adequate cover for several positions.

Its just a key decision whether we play SJ, who also has limited game time, even less than Hook, over him if Priestland is out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:20 pm

aye Samurai, apart from one great up and under kick most of his others in the first half were poor, his distribution game is excellent though.

I think it was a great match for him to come through, he'll really learn from his mistakes if he is fit to play on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:23 pm

I was watching the ITV Wales covrag yestrday and was amazed when Mike Hall said Hook HAS to play 10 next week.

WHY?

THink he was watching different game to me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:27 pm

We had a lot of success against Ireland with Jamie smashing into the 10/12 channel. France may be a different story, they've got some big lads in the back division too.They outmuscled England up front too, which is no easy matter.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm

I think Hook is suffering for his versatility. Hes played away from 10 due to necessity that people seem to have forgotten him. Come on, this IS our best player. Id pick him 10 definately. He was the first choice going into this tournament but moved to 15 due to necesity and priestland came in at (warm ups). Yes Priestland has grabbed the opurtunity with both hands but I just think Hook is something else sorry

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:30 pm

We saw in the 6N's what the french pack can do to us, the likes of Nallet were rampant. They will go into this match with absolutely no fear. it's going to be a hugely difficult game for us to play and prepare for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:31 pm

tis fine that you think that wonder_man. I think Hook is a huge talent and you're right his veratility has hurt him, but I honestly don't think he is better in the positions he can play in, than the ones starting for Wales right now. We're incredibly lucky we can have someone like him on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Good point dreamer. I'll agree to slightly disagree

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:36 pm

sounds good to me Smile Ale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:47 pm

I agree with dreamer that Hook is brilliant as a bench option because at the moment he isn't the best player in any one position.

I think Hook has the potential to be our best 10, but he needs to play there more, and the France game is not the time to start him. A season in France may work very well for Hook.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

both Priestland and Charteris expect to be fit apparently:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/8816283/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Wales-hopeful-Luke-Charteris-and-Rhys-Priestland-will-be-fit-to-face-France-in-semi-final.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Yahoo

That's good news!
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm

gREAT NEWS rd caps lock all over the place but I aint changing it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:00 pm

it is but I'm still apprehensive, they are "hopeful" they'll get better each day. Still too early to tell though so I'm keeping my pessimistic hat on.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 pm

wonder_man wrote:I think Hook is suffering for his versatility. Hes played away from 10 due to necessity that people seem to have forgotten him. Come on, this IS our best player. Id pick him 10 definately. He was the first choice going into this tournament but moved to 15 due to necesity and priestland came in at (warm ups). Yes Priestland has grabbed the opurtunity with both hands but I just think Hook is something else sorry

There are opinions and there are facts.

Priestland replaced Jones at 10 at the last moment for the English warm-up match!!!!,.................. so how do you work out Hook was first choice then?. Remember this warm-up was the first match after the last 6Ns game and if you can't recall that affair then I would suggest you look at the re-run ironically it was against your next opponents France also have a look who was 15 and more importantly who was 10.

Hook was not first choice going into the tournament, he was not even first choice going into the warm-ups. I would say Mr G was forced to bring in Priestland as the back-up to an on-form Jones, who had orchestrated the last two remaining (excellent attack focused 4 tries in each) regional games of the season.

I would say primarily Hook is not a victim of his versatility but of not been the best option currently in either the flyhalf, centre or fullback position. The reason he took the bench spot from Jones last week is that he could cover in all three positions and Gatland need four forwards on the bench, plus a scrum half and he couldn't leave out the attacking threat of Scott Williams out if he needed an aware centre later in the game. So in effect Hook was never going to be in the first 15 but was a cerainty for the bench.

I would suggest Gatland would play these in order of preference
FB - 1/2p, Byrne, Hook
OC - Davies, Williams, Hook
IC - Roberts, Williams, Davies, Hook
FH - Priestland, Jones, Hook

You can see that currently Hook would never be selected as the 1st, 2nd etc........ in any position but as a versatile back he would be. on the bench.

If you talk about next season, and the Welsh roles

FH
Jones - retire
Priestland - the incumbent
Hook - starts new season for Perpignan at 10 like he has done for all the other teams he has played for.
Biggar, Tovey, Matthew Morgan.

FB
1/2p, Byrne, Barry Davies, Prydie, Priestland

Centre
Roberts, Davies, Williams, Ashley Smith............ George North!!! maybe

I can't honestly see Hook getting anywhere close to the 15, 13, 12 positions for Wales going forward, so now he has to make the 10 slot his own in France and push from there. Its really now up to him
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:52 pm

FHF, I think in the match you're referring to (1st vs England) Hook was away getting married. In the next warm-up Gatland gave them equal time at 10, and in the third Hook played the entire match at 10. My memory may be a bit hazy, but I think that's how it went. In the 6N, Hook played 3 out of 5 at 10, even though Jones was available. he's clearly in the frame, though it's right that RP should retain the shirt for the next match.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:53 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
wonder_man wrote:I think Hook is suffering for his versatility. Hes played away from 10 due to necessity that people seem to have forgotten him. Come on, this IS our best player. Id pick him 10 definately. He was the first choice going into this tournament but moved to 15 due to necesity and priestland came in at (warm ups). Yes Priestland has grabbed the opurtunity with both hands but I just think Hook is something else sorry

FB
1/2p, Byrne, Barry Davies, Prydie, Priestland

You missed out Morgan Stoddart (our best FB leading into the WC) I expect Halfpenny will be back on the wing with Shane gone.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 pm

samuraidragon wrote:FHF, I think in the match you're referring to (1st vs England) Hook was away getting married. In the next warm-up Gatland gave them equal time at 10, and in the third Hook played the entire match at 10. My memory may be a bit hazy, but I think that's how it went. In the 6N, Hook played 3 out of 5 at 10, even though Jones was available. he's clearly in the frame, though it's right that RP should retain the shirt for the next match.

Hook played 80 against Argentina then was dropped to fullback against SA for a reason.

We no longer need to rely on Hook or Shane to create for Wales, we create by going through the phases - the reason for this in my opinion is that we have the best attack minded distributing 10 since before Neil Jenkins. Hook is a decent 10, but has VERY variable form and is often a liability there. If Preistland is fit HE WILL START, he is our no1 no10 for a good reason and Gatlands faith to pick him after such limited gametime truly shows that he is a good coach (same with North, Halfpenny etc)

Hook on the bench if Preistland is fit. If Preistland is out its a 50/50 between Hook and Jones.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:01 pm

samuraidragon wrote:FHF, I think in the match you're referring to (1st vs England) Hook was away getting married. In the next warm-up Gatland gave them equal time at 10, and in the third Hook played the entire match at 10. My memory may be a bit hazy, but I think that's how it went. In the 6N, Hook played 3 out of 5 at 10, even though Jones was available. he's clearly in the frame, though it's right that RP should retain the shirt for the next match.

I think you are correct samurai mate............. or was it against the Baa Baas?

Yes agree again he has had alot of opportunities at 10, 3 out of 5 in the 6Ns last season.

Thats the other big thing, he is married now and that will deffo focus his mind in France, his young family with him will reap benefits.

And yes with his talent he will be in the frame for every match ..............
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Now Mike Phillips is back on form and with Roberts and JD2 rock solid - I say roll the dice and play Hook at 10 anyway.

He's a much better kicker than Priestland and Jones - and would give us a back line that just might rip France apart.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:55 am

The last time Hook started at 10 agaist the French was probably the worst performance by a Welsh 10 since Henson agaist the Irish. If Preistland is not fit the it must be Jones with Hook on the bench. Jones may be in with a shout for the 22 anyway as both Hook and Priestland are a bit wayward kicking for goal, wheras Jones has the best stats in the tourament (92%).

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:05 am

IF Priestland is out injured then ok we have to change but if he's fit then he has done everything (and more) thats been asked of him and must start at 10 again.

Gatland has pretty much done everything right in the comp so far and dropping Priestland would be a huge mistake if he did. He missed two kicks yesterday I know but they weren't sitters and weren't far off target.

Unless injury forces changes then same 22 for me again next week
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 am

If you think Hook is a better 10 for you than Priestland, you're crazy.

Hook is more capable of producing great moments of individual skill, but he doesn't control a game as well as Priestland and he doesn't bring as much out of the players around him.

It's a shame that there isn't a place for a player as talented as him in the starting XV, but the fact of the matter is that other players better fill the roles he is a candidate for. He is however perfect as an impact player and a spot on the bench is the best thing for the team at the moment

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by rumpelstiltskindoh Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:19 am

as gelodge just hinted, one of the key points about Priestland's inclusion is that finally Jamie Roberts is playing like a world class 12 again.

Mike Hall's suggestion that Hook start at 10 in any case is on a par with his normal punditry ie a bit rubbish.

However, I'd be ok with Hook at 10 if Preistland is injured because I think we now have strong enough patterns to beat the French without having to rely on one or two individuals to win.

rumpelstiltskindoh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 am

If Priestlands injury is sutch that he will not feature in the semi final, then surely Wales will bring in S.Jones in his place.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:28 am

The last thing we need is harum-scarum rugby against the french, so no way would I put hook instead of priestland, how much good ball do you think the centres would get? we'd be back to the old running down blind alleys, starving the backs of the ball.
Rhys P is called SJ mark2 because he plays a structured game, and has been mentored by sj at the scarlets. SJ is the best kicker in Wales , as he should be the time he's had doing the job.
It wouldn't be fair on hook to play him at 10 now would it? after all ,as his fans will tell you ' he hasnt played there' and he was cruelly exposed at 15. Lets put him on the bench for cover, we havent got anyone else who can adequately cover so many positions in an emergency.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:05 am

I do think Wales need to marginalise Hook to be honest, simply because he has left Wales and has gone to France. It is going to be a nightmare to get him over here playing for Wales and do we really want the endless debates of player release distracting Welsh coaches again?

Priestland, Tovey and Biggar are pretty much the future for Wales so let them go head to head!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:15 am

Just stated on the Welsh news there are no major injuries and both Luke and Rhys are expected to be fit! Great news.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 am

glamorganalun wrote:Just stated on the Welsh news there are no major injuries and both Luke and Rhys are expected to be fit! Great news.
To the beer tent! Ale
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:19 am

AlynDavies wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:Just stated on the Welsh news there are no major injuries and both Luke and Rhys are expected to be fit! Great news.
To the beer tent! Ale

+1 put mine in the fridge Very Happy Ale Ale

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:19 am

A fully fit squad...after that group - miracles happen...
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:22 am

Alyn:

Do you know what Hook's,Phillips, Bryne etc contract states about Internationals?

I do agree the AI's we should use these games to develop home based players and new combinations we did not do last year, if we had some of our young players may have had more expereince e.g., why pick S Jones for every big game it is not as if he was better than any of the other flyhalves in Wales.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:22 am

That is one of the major cogs in our recent success that we are able to play with such physicality yet remain relatively injury free.
Call it luck but I would rather like to believe that it's down to preparation we have never been in better shape mentally or physically.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 am

Cymroglan wrote:That is one of the major cogs in our recent success that we are able to play with such physicality yet remain relatively injury free.
Call it luck but I would rather like to believe that it's down to preparation we have never been in better shape mentally or physically.

You won't believe this but apparently most of the Welsh players have actually had operations to STOP them getting injured!
I must admit I had to scratch my head to wrap my head around that when I was told this and am not even sure how it is done, but apparently a lot of the Welsh boys went under the knife to prevent niggly sports injuries.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 am

AlynDavies wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:That is one of the major cogs in our recent success that we are able to play with such physicality yet remain relatively injury free.

You won't believe this but apparently most of the Welsh players have actually had operations to STOP them getting injured!
I must admit I had to scratch my head to wrap my head around that when I was told this and am not even sure how it is done, but apparently a lot of the Welsh boys went under the knife to prevent niggly sports injuries.

errrr- you what. thats odd dude- is it even legal- sopunds abit futuristic to me, have they got bionic implants

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:04 am

mystiroakey wrote:errrr- you what. thats odd dude- is it even legal- sopunds abit futuristic to me, have they got bionic implants
I know it sounds really odd, but one of my cousins relatives works with the Wales team and he has spoken to my cousin about it.
If I can get more information on it, I will post it here with what has been done, but apparently you can have operations to help prevent sports injuries though I'm not sure what;s involved, though hopefully someone has a degree in sports science or something and might be able to help Smile.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next