The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One dimensional Wales

+15
nganboy
Oxford Welsh
Casartelli
flyhalffactory
gavstar
glamorganalun
GavinDragon
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
gelodge
irfon17
wonder_man
JayMaster3000
QuickBall
RubyGuby
19 posters

Go down

One dimensional Wales Empty One dimensional Wales

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

Since the world cup warm ups in August Wales have played 8 games scored 33 tries and let in 8 tries,

Won 6 Lost 2
Once to the six nation champs England at Twickers.
Once to the World Champs South Africa in the World cup.

Back to top Go down

One dimensional Wales Empty Re: One dimensional Wales

Post by RubyGuby Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm

And?

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by QuickBall Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

here you go view...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
QuickBall
QuickBall

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:23 pm

What annoys me is that the rugby world is gonna think Warren Gatland is a good coach.
Does anyone remember Wales going on a losing streak of almost, if not 10 losses? What about the type writer style of attack; were Wales just went side to side in attack? Didn't Wales also go for X amount of games with out scoring a try? Except from the 2008 success Gatland reign has been very unsuccessful.

This world cup Wales have come in their own. Which could be argued was a result of injury that allowed a very talented Priestland to come through. Edwards has done a great job in defense no doubt but players like Phillips and Roberts are lucky to have had Gatland as a coach as for the last two seasons they have under performed. Just my thoughts on a one dimensional Gatland.

And go.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 09 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

JayMaster - Maybe Gatland has just learned from his mistakes, god forbid he has made enough of them but this is now his side and none of us are complaining. thumbsup

He's even stopped slagging sides off before we play them thank feck!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm

Injuries thats the difference,
Missed Adam Jones for ages Missed Gethin Jenkins for ages players like that would be missed in any team,
Gatland rarely played the same 15 from match to until the world cup warm up games.

I have said all along that he is building a squad seeing what is available to him ready for world cup year and he has.

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:34 am

JayMaster3000 wrote:What annoys me is that the rugby world is gonna think Warren Gatland is a good coach.
Does anyone remember Wales going on a losing streak of almost, if not 10 losses? What about the type writer style of attack; were Wales just went side to side in attack? Didn't Wales also go for X amount of games with out scoring a try? Except from the 2008 success Gatland reign has been very unsuccessful.

This world cup Wales have come in their own. Which could be argued was a result of injury that allowed a very talented Priestland to come through. Edwards has done a great job in defense no doubt but players like Phillips and Roberts are lucky to have had Gatland as a coach as for the last two seasons they have under performed. Just my thoughts on a one dimensional Gatland.

And go.

The world cup was always the aim, weve been rebuilding the team since 08, all his work is now coming to fruition, you were just short sited. Gatts said when he was hired Wales were 2/3 seasons away from their full potential. Wasnt far out was he?

Learn to be patient.
Learn to listen.
Good boy.

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 10 Oct 2011, 1:36 am

by tthe way, view to the gym.. whats up with the title?

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

Its what Wales used to get called by all the English lads and im just stating we are far from one dimensional

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

This is a somewhat pointless thread, but I have to agree with rubyguby about Gatland's pre-match mind games; they were unprofessional, didn't work and made us look like @rses if we lost. I'd noticed he's stopped recently too, do you think he has grown up or been reigned in?

Last edited by irfon17 on Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:15 pm

It seems being in his homeland makes him a better coach. Can he not manage the Welsh side from there? Or maybe your guys should train down that way? Better opposition and it would be easier to recruit some more Tongans.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 10 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

o rmaybe it was al part of the plan to lull the world into a false sense of security while secretly working away in a lab in the rhonnda coming up with a way to make us the best side in the world...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

irfon17 wrote:This is a somewhat pointless thread, but I have to agree with rubyguby about Gatland's pre-match mind games; they were unprofessional, didn't work and made us look like @rses if we lost. I'd noticed he's stopped recently too, do you think he has grown up or been reigned in?

I would say he's beneffiting from not having idiotic Welsh journalists like Andy Howell hounding him constantly. The difference being away from the Welsh media and Gatland actually having had quality time with the squad is incredible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:40 pm

We are much better conditioned than a few seasons ago, our backrow is refreshed and more abrasive, even on a technical level they are superior players to the previous backrow regulars. We have also now found a balanced flyhalf that gets the backline moving and kicks well tactically, sure he has room for improvement but he is promising.

Roberts is returning to the player he was and Davies is improving with every game, took his try extremely well against Ireland.

Lets not forget either that we are starting to build real depth in the squad now. Especially in our worst area in recent years - the backrow. We have the likes of Turnbull, Tipuric, MuCusker, Tom Smith even Pretorius and Morgan if they choose to represent Wales.

I for one am quite excited to see what new talent we can unearth in the next few seasons in the build up to 2015. If you think about how Faleatau and North have quite literally sprung up from no where and made a huge impact who knows who will turn up in the near future?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

Mike,

I would still say we need to unearth a few T/Heads and 2nd rows other than we have cover across field.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:52 pm

mr mcconnell i here what your saying, however you must concede that gatland stuck with youth when the older heads came back from injury, and even though i was at one point calling for his head, the losing streak came mostly from his insistence on playing the best eams in the world home and away.....

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm

Jaymaster:

I agree with your comments, it has taken a long time to select players of international standard, we have played guys like D Jones, G Williams, T James, G Copper, J Thomas, I Gough (later years), A Powell (massive improvement during RWC) and we still have S Jones hanging on. If it was not for injury Jones would still be at 10 and Wales would be heading home. Gatland has stuck by Bennett and Phillips but to Gatlands credit they have really come off during the warm ups.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Mon 10 Oct 2011, 7:10 pm

not so sure sjones wouldnt have performed like rpriestland, they call rhys sj mark2, even if rp looks sharper, younger, the basics of his game are identical to sj. thats why we still get calls from the hook fan club, they dont want a steady eddy at 10. Wink

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Jaymaster:

I agree with your comments, it has taken a long time to select players of international standard, we have played guys like D Jones, G Williams, T James, G Copper, J Thomas, I Gough (later years), A Powell (massive improvement during RWC) and we still have S Jones hanging on. If it was not for injury Jones would still be at 10 and Wales would be heading home. Gatland has stuck by Bennett and Phillips but to Gatlands credit they have really come off during the warm ups.

Yet more amazing one liners

Totally agree with you gavstar, Priestland has learnt his trade about "structured calming yet offensive" play from Jones over the last 3-4 seasons. Agree glamAl its true Jones was coming into the WC warm ups as the favoured player at 10 as it was clear from the last two games of last season when Jones orchestrated two ML regional games that were structured yet immensely attacking "15 man rugby" generating EIGHT tries how an aware 10 can be the complete package as Dan Carter says a 10 is a pivotal role, it galvanises and orchestrates the team "you run when you need to run". I am quite convinced that Jones would have brought that offensive "team" style of play into the WC for the welsh team, and Priestland would have have had some decent game-time as well. Thank goodness Mr G finally smelt the coffee (with Jones injured) and stuck with RP, otherwise you would have been coming home after the Samoan game.

However it has to be said that if it wasn't for injuries then Gatland would have stuck with his "untouchables" and the likes of 1/2p at FB, Jon Davies or Scott Williams at 13, Charteris, Priestland at 10 would not have been playing. Instead you would have had Byrne at 15 kicking directly into touch or the "revolving door", Roberts continuing to look lost like he was in many times in 2009/10 due to his midfield partners inability to support him, or even worse a 10 that cannot straighten the line, headless chicken running into turnovers lost, and heck even Henson would have been here now and Scott Williams would have been home in Wales watching on the TV. I am sure then you would have had a bunch of individuals instead of what is now a 30 man "team" ethos.

But credit where it is due, I would say Gatland has been insprirational in his insistance of taking the Welsh players on such a vigorous painful training program and its that superb level of fitness as a result which put paid to Samoa, and battered SA, giving them inner confidence not only in each individual self but also their confidence as a team. Also this fitness has enabled them to build up their technical skills which during the world cup have been second to none........ Gethin Jenkins "the new Barry John" Smile You also have to give him credit he stuck with Phillips and Bennett who has both been pretty damn good since the first warm-up game, I hold my hand up I was one of the many clamouring to drop Phillips.

I think Gatland has now realised (albeit forced on him through injuries) its a 30 man "team" game all pushing eaching each other to get in the first 15, not a tight knit group of favoured hence loyal group pf individuals who were guaranteed their place no matter how they performed.

Well done TEAM Wales, and well done Mr G for taking deep breaths of Nescafe

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

Gatland has stuck with pick/drive/kick/chase for nearly 3 years.

The difference now is that the squad is at full strength - and can employ the tactics to good effect. It also allows us to play virtually anyone at 10.

The problem with it is that there is no Plan B. If we lose any one or two of Gethin, Adam, AWJ, Warburton, Phillips & Roberts, then it all starts to unravel.

Fingers crossed they all stay fit for another couple of weeks - and anything could happen!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm

I am aure you have alot of potential players that could enhance your side now and even further over the next few seasons, Matthew Rees and Stoddart are certainly two players who would make a difference to your side against France. Tuperic, Ben Morgan (if he chooses you), will be pushing your back three next season.

The difference is that Gatland has picked combos of aware players that are working as a team at last.

You saw alot of Plan A B and C against Ireland, Priestland used different tactics throughtout the match. Your back row forwards have such a great affinity now with Phillips and RP, that Roberts can smash into the opposition midfield in the knowledge that RP and JD2 will be backing him up. Thats gotta give so much confidence to your front five and also to the back three of 1/2p, and Williams
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm

Gatland (through choice or necessity) started playing the "in-form" players. Thats the answer here. Nothing deeper.

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

GavinDragon wrote:mr mcconnell i here what your saying, however you must concede that gatland stuck with youth when the older heads came back from injury, and even though i was at one point calling for his head, the losing streak came mostly from his insistence on playing the best eams in the world home and away.....

Oh I hear thee Mr Potts. Though I agree that he has done well to stick with the young guys, it would be hard to argue, even for the most sternest of historians that, if Phillips or Roberts played for any other nation in the semis they would have been dropped along time ago. Wales have done exceptionally well to get to the semis, hitting great form at the right time. But before the world cup Wales lost so many games, or struggled against, every nation in the top 15 nations. Remember a certain draw against a Fiji team?

I'm not taking away from Wales success, as the players and their performance has been world class, but I'm not sure if it that much to do with a Mr Gatland.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

It seems like people are saying that when Wales were doing poorly it was because their coach was a witless Kiwi but now that they have done much better and won 1 game of importance that their coach is a witless Kiwi.

Actually I think he is hopeless but what would he have to do for Wales before you give him any credit. If you won the blxxdy thing and defended it in 2015 you'd still say thank goodness all the great Welsh players ignored the coach.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:54 am

The people slagging of Gats are nuts!!! He is the best coach we have ever had. He fixed the most important thing - our forwards!! Then our defence and now our attack. Anybody who thinks all aspects of a game can be rectified at the same time knows very little about coaching a team. Things take time and as the saying goes 'Rome was not built in a day'.

Why do people need to always look for fault?? We are in the semi-final playing the best rugby we have for donkeys years and some want to say it has nothing to do with the coach?? THANK GOD THEY ARE NOT IN CHARGE OF THE WELSH TEAM!!!

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:03 am

Well first up France seem to be doing OK without a coach. Besides in four years of losing games on a consistent bases it appears that Gatland must have been fixing each problem one season at a time.

Perhaps nganboy is right. So far Wales have only won one game of importance. I'll be hoping for a good game against the French this week. And then hopefully a final, then we'll see what this team is really about.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Wed 12 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

SO Gats is only any good if we win the WC?????

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed 12 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

deadfred wrote:SO Gats is only any good if we win the WC?????

Well no. I've been arguing that he is a bad coach with a great group of players that have hit a great vain of form and the right time. I also argue that as a coach he is very stubborn in selecting the same out of form players. And if it wasn't for injuries Wales would have never of found that gem Priestland.

I also think that the position Shawn Edwards holds is probably more important. Imagine Edwards as head coach; he would, for me, tick all the boxes.

The game this weekend, and possibly the weekend after, will be a real test for this young team.

On a side note if Wales don't win the world cup or semis, Wales can expect a grand slam me thinks in the 6 nations.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Its what Wales used to get called by all the English lads and im just stating we are far from one dimensional

why dont you just get behind the only British team left in the RWC...?
We certainly have been one dimensional this tournament..

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed insult)

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

JayMaster3000 wrote:
deadfred wrote:SO Gats is only any good if we win the WC?????

Well no. I've been arguing that he is a bad coach with a great group of players that have hit a great vain of form and the right time. I also argue that as a coach he is very stubborn in selecting the same out of form players. And if it wasn't for injuries Wales would have never of found that gem Priestland.

I also think that the position Shawn Edwards holds is probably more important. Imagine Edwards as head coach; he would, for me, tick all the boxes.

The game this weekend, and possibly the weekend after, will be a real test for this young team.

On a side note if Wales don't win the world cup or semis, Wales can expect a grand slam me thinks in the 6 nations.

Not many coaches IMO would have had the balls to go with someone like Faletau at 8 in an already inexperienced back row, he only won his 1st cap in june and IMO most coaches would have stuck with RJ at 8, also i feel many coaches would have stuck with Byrne at FB especially for the quarters but Gats shows alot of faith in his players and is not afraid to make bold decisions
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 12 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

cabbagesandbrussels wrote:
viewtothegym wrote:Its what Wales used to get called by all the English lads and im just stating we are far from one dimensional

why dont you just get behind the only British team left in the RWC...?
We certainly have been one dimensional this tournament..

I believe he is behind Wales (the only British team left in the RWC). I would have thought you'd have lost your cocky tone now that England have been knocked out and Wales are fighting for a place in the final. cake
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down