The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams?

+8
Thomond
Geordie
Imperialbigdave
mystiroakey
doctornickolas
EnglishReign
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
12 posters

Go down

Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams? Empty Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

Will the successes and the failures from this world cup change their fortunes when they return home in three weeks?

What are your thoughts...?

Here are a few of mine...

Only France and Wales remain of the top NH teams, in France rumour has it that Lievremont will go and St. andre is to take his place. there are a few older players who may retire from the international game, but not many. I personally see this French team moving forward under St Andre to a less chaotic and far more brilliant future... My pick for a hard fought GS in 2012

In Wales Gatland was offered another four year contract about twelve months ago, though his coaching staffs contracts are under review. There may be the odd change but I presume the coaching and management team will stay much the same for the next four years. Players like Stephen Jones now apparently third choice, Martyn Williams, Shane Williams And Lee Byrne will likely retire from international rugby.

England, god knows. Last time England went out in the quarter finals not much changed, the team re-focused and got a lot better in four years ready for their next chance, which they took too. I would hope that Johnson would stay, but he needs to have much better coaches around him if he does as he is learning on his feet. With his CV he should be brilliant at his job, but it will take time. There are a lot of England players selected that should not be in the squad, over hyped, over valued and not good enough. These players have to go...!

Irelands coaching team will stay the same, it works, but I imagine that the team will change dramatically over the next 18 months. BOD and POC will likely stick around for another season or two to help the change over period. This is a good Irish team and I imagine they will focus on a Heineken cup at club level and a grand slam at international in 2012.

Scotland, as is often the case they were a narrow victory away from greatness. Robinson will stay, his coaches, Townsend in particular will stay, Scotland will get better, stronger in depth and more skilful in the backs as the new young talents come through.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams? Empty Re: Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams?

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Lievremont has been sacked already I thought so that may explain lot of their performnces.

Still not convinced about Howleys role in our set up and someone mentioned Brian Ashton few days back, that we be top notch if it happened.

We will have a few retirements I guess, Jones, Willimas Byrne maybe, would like to say they will return to Regions and then Regions really start pulling weight in HC etc but who knows.

Hope we then develop a few T/Heads and 2nd rows
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams? Empty Re: Post world cup what will happen to the NH teams?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Oct 2011, 5:42 pm

Mate we have two decent tight heads,that is double what some of the semi finalists have

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 10 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

I don't know, Wales went out of the 07 pool and then won the 08 slam. Nothing can really be judged on this RWC, the only trouble is England won't be able to test the new team before the Scotland game.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 10 Oct 2011, 6:12 pm

Shane will be the only retiree for Wales who currently holds down a first team slot so don't expect too many changes for us.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

hopefully wales can keep the form up, hopefully ireland wont fall from grace, hopefully france can actually prdouce what they can consitantly, hopefully scotland can continuing improving, But hopefully england can become the best again Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I don't know, Wales went out of the 07 pool and then won the 08 slam. Nothing can really be judged on this RWC, the only trouble is England won't be able to test the new team before the Scotland game.

What do you mean that nothing can be judged on this world cup?

If you can't evaluate the world standings with a world cup then what on earth can you judge it by?

Surely it's entire purpose is to work out who the best is?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:I don't know, Wales went out of the 07 pool and then won the 08 slam. Nothing can really be judged on this RWC, the only trouble is England won't be able to test the new team before the Scotland game.

If you can't evaluate the world standings with a world cup then what on earth can you judge it by?

lol i actually totally agree- but on the flip side the amount of non english posters that love to dismiss previous world cups is quite staggering.

world cups dont just mean stuff - THEY MEAN EVERYTHING!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 10 Oct 2011, 8:53 pm

Please stop saying that "scotland will click" we have been saying this since 2000, and under robinson and townsend, we are playing the worst rugby weve ever played. Scotland will not just click all of a sudden. changes must be made.

this "oh but your just one pass away from getting those tries youve been waiting for" is utter tripe. There are far too many mediocre players in that team who have proved time and again that their best isnt good enough. They give it their all, ill begrudge them that, but their skill levels and gameplan is too poor to ever improve.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

I dont think there'll be massive changes in the England team...the old timers need put to rest, and a few youngsters introduced at 8, 12 etc.
And a few positional and selection issues worked out.

The key moves for me are to get rid of the attrocious coaches that seem to be coach the talent out of the players rather than enhancing them.

Ireland have quite a young squad despite what people say...but some of the key players are in their final run...O'Connell, O'Driscoll etc...and replacing them wont be easy. But i think they'll be there for a season or two yet.

Scotland need to find some creativity from somewhere. The have everything else.

Wales look fine.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:11 pm

Maesteg,there will be at least one change to the Ireland coaching staff, Alan Gaffney is gone so hopefully we might see some decent backplay which given our backline could be lethal. There will be personal changes. BOD,Darce,ROG are more than likely gone. DOC and POC will be gone by 2013 Lions tour I would imagine.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:25 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

lol i actually totally agree- but on the flip side the amount of non english posters that love to dismiss previous world cups is quite staggering.

world cups dont just mean stuff - THEY MEAN EVERYTHING!

Things change very quickly though don't they. It is consistency that is the key. Everything has fallen right at the right time for Wales and good luck to them.
England are 6Ns champions because they were the best team then.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:30 pm

"It is consistency that is the key"

is it.

nope its about how many world cups you win. the rest is only build up in my eyes.

A few 6n's on the way is also nice but- its all about the big one- the world cup!

I am not going to change my thought process like others obviously have just because we dumped out of the thing.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

Does the best team in the world always win the world cup?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Does the best team in the world always win the world cup?

no.

does the best golfer in the world win the majors.

ask luke donald or lee westwood what they would trade- world no.1 or a major.

ask rory mcilroy if he would trade his major for luke donalds current number one- (you dont want the answer)

The world cup is the biggie, just like the football world cup, just like golf or tennis majors. Its the real deal pal. rankings are meaningless, they reward consitancy only. Its all about getting it right at the right time

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Thomond wrote:Maesteg,there will be at least one change to the Ireland coaching staff, Alan Gaffney is gone so hopefully we might see some decent backplay which given our backline could be lethal. There will be personal changes. BOD,Darce,ROG are more than likely gone. DOC and POC will be gone by 2013 Lions tour I would imagine.

Thomond all those guys plus David Wallace are contracted until 2013 so it looks like there won't really be any major personnel changes until then.

I'd imagine we've seen almost the back of a few squad guys like Cullen, Jennings, Flannery, Boss and Paddy Wallace and we'll see more of Ryan, Sherry, Touhy, Keatley, McFadden, POM, Ruddock, Cave and Spence in the coming seasons and maybe a few others.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon 10 Oct 2011, 9:53 pm

Wales to build upon their success with such a young team.
France will improve dramatically with PSA in charge

Ireland run the risk of an exodus of players and according to Shane Byrne last night do not have the strength in depth so may struggle.

Scotland change their backs coach and remember how to score tries and improve

England, sack a number of old timers and players with porr attitude and invest in youth and improve dramatically.

All makes for an exciting 6nations but with two away matches against the Irish out for revenge and a resurgent England then Wales will struggle to win the slam.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Ireland run the risk of an exodus of players and according to Shane Byrne last night do not have the strength in depth so may struggle.

Shane Byrne is talking nonsence, What exodus? All the players have contracts until 2013. To be honest it wouldn't be a bad thing of a few senior guys called it a day IMO. There's plenty of young guys there but with only 4 teams it's difficult for all the players to get sufficient gametime. 2/3s of the 1st team are in their 20's so I doubt that there'll be wholesale changes regardless of what happens.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

Wales will push ahead of the others for sure. 2011-2020 will be our new "1970s"

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon 10 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I agree that the RWC's purpose is about finding the best team, that wasn't my point, but now that you've asked I'd argue that injuries and poor scheduling means some teams' performances are hampered. Plus, not all of the teams play each other. Not faulting the set-up necessarily, just giving you an answer.

Anyway, your initial post was about where the NH teams will go after this, I tried to give an example of where things can change in a matter of months, thus suggesting how it really isn't easy to tell what will happen. I only provide facts and perspective, not having a go.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 2:42 am

EnglishReign wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I agree that the RWC's purpose is about finding the best team, that wasn't my point, but now that you've asked I'd argue that injuries and poor scheduling means some teams' performances are hampered. Plus, not all of the teams play each other. Not faulting the set-up necessarily, just giving you an answer.

Anyway, your initial post was about where the NH teams will go after this, I tried to give an example of where things can change in a matter of months, thus suggesting how it really isn't easy to tell what will happen. I only provide facts and perspective, not having a go.

Your facts seem a little short on explanation mate...!

Dan carter is the only major injury that has tarnished this competitions reputationas a fight out of the best teams in the world. I certainly don't think that the teams who have not qualified for the semis will blame injuries or poor scheduling? Especially the wealthy seeded teams that really considered themselves in with a chance.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

mm,

I agree we have Jones and Mitchell but its nice to have or at least recognise a few more who could have the potential.

As DocNik says in theory there won't be many changes to the team hoepfully as they are all pretty young now.

If Halfpenny hopefully keeps the XV shirt then someone will have to step up for Shanes slot - Stoddart or Brew maybe are the ones who have been involved with the squad of late.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down