The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh

4 posters

Go down

Pairc Ui Chaoimh Empty Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Post by bluemoda Tue 11 Oct - 11:26

Brilliant, the Pairc is to be redeveloped and ready for the 2015 season. I've read that it's to be a 60,000 capacity, though I don't know if it's to be an all-seater. Any chance that they will share it with other sports?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Pairc Ui Chaoimh Empty Re: Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Post by Thomond Tue 11 Oct - 13:24

Was this in a paper or what? It was seemingly dead in the water. Munster could use it for HC knockout games. I think it is a waste of money for the GAA unless they get other people in through concerts other sports etc.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 11 Oct - 13:31

The way things are these days, most stadiums usually have to be shared in some way to keep going. If not with other sports, then most certainly concerts, conference facilities and the like.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Tue 11 Oct - 13:55

An article in the Irish Examiner today. They hope to have planning permission by April next year and re- construction will begin immediately.

As for sharing it, who knows. Munster were refused its use when Thomond was being re-developed, but financially, different times, different decisions. Anyway, it was always used for concerts but those twin killjoys - health & safety, prevented it from being used over the last decade or so. I must admit, I'm really pleased with this news and I look forward to Tipp kicking Cork's ass there.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 11 Oct - 17:02

I hope it will be all seater, it would make it a real stunner. If this go though it would be what, the second biggest stadium in Ireland?
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 11 Oct - 17:06

I think it is a huge waste of money. It will be bigger than the Aviva! Cork are lucky to play 2 big championship matches there a year. It could finally be a big concert venue for Cork though. I don't see how they will break even unless quarter and semi of All-Irelands are played there. That is not going to happen and it would be a bigger journey to go to Cork than Dubland for most counties.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Tue 11 Oct - 17:15

Totally disagree Thomond. I imagine revenue from gaa matches will only play a a small part as it is not only a sports venue, it'll be a centre of sporting excellence, have a conference/concert centre of 6,000 seated and 10,000 standing and it will be able to hold outdoor concerts. It will serve the south, southeast and southwest.

Finally, we won't have to go to Dublin or Belfast to attend a concert.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 11 Oct - 17:21

If it does happen it will have to be shared just from an ecomnomics point of view. Concerts and Rugby will both be held there I would think, possibly some soccer matchs too.
I think they should play some bigger Gaa matchs there depending on the location and/or size of the counties. Knowing the GAA I very much doubt something like that would happen but they must have something in mind.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 11 Oct - 17:32

Would Ireland play a soccer match there? Munster could use it for neutral HC games. There will be little GAA revenue from it. That would be my reasoning if I was in the GAA. I would love to see an area for concerts in Cork. That's hwere the money will be. it's not like Cork City will be playing there unless they play Barca in a friendly.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 11 Oct - 20:05

I think friendlies could played there maybe one or two competitive matchs but that is probably wishful thinking, concerts would be a diffinent. The Stadium was a disgrace as it is its needs doing up though, and the GAA aren't exactly poor.

The other things going on there would also make money.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Mon 17 Oct - 14:10

On TG4 yesterday, they were talking to one of the count board members about the redevelopment of the Pairc. They still don't know whether it's going to be a 40/50/60 thousand seater or whether the terraces will be left. They even mentioned opening it up to other sports, which would a turn-about for Cork CB, seen as they were one of the counties that rejected opening Croke Park. They don't even know what the actual cost will be, something in the region of 45 - 70 million. Seems an odd state of affairs, since they hope to be going to tender in April 2012.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Mon 17 Oct - 16:33

I would be nice to have a 60,000 seater in Cork though, just to have it. From an ecomnomics stand point as I have all ready said they would have to let it be used by other sports, Heiniken Cup final maybe? I wouldn't mind that Cool
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down