The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the biggest game of the season ?

+7
JDandfries
The Special Juan
dondelero
Irish Curry
ADMIN
Crimey
Kenny
11 posters

Go down

What is the biggest game of the season ? Empty What is the biggest game of the season ?

Post by Kenny Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:53 pm

This saturday it's Liverpool v Man Utd .............. my question is is this the biggest game of the season ?

As a Liverpool fan this is the game i want to win above all others .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

What is the biggest game of the season ? Empty Re: What is the biggest game of the season ?

Post by Crimey Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 pm

I think that is certainly up there with the big games, even if it doesn't have as much an impact on the title picture.

Man City vs. Manchester United has finally become an important game after years of it being a pretty boring derby to be honest, now they are both competing for the title it will be huge.

Chelsea vs. United has been the 'big one' the last couple of years and I believe will continue to be for the next few.

Arsenal vs. Manchester United was a very big game in the early 00's, although it has become less important as the gap in ability grows.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is the biggest game of the season ? Empty Re: What is the biggest game of the season ?

Post by ADMIN Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Historically yes. The two most successful clubs in the history of the English league.
Nowadays it's still a huge game but I reckon this season Utd v City is THE one.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Its probably City vs Utd atm, it changes every few years depending on the teams going for the league.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Well it depends on the definiton of "biggest"? Is it in terms of money, success, the media, or best players?

Most are saying Utd v City just because of City's money and the fact they are joint top after only 7 games but really and for probably a very long time it can only be Liv/Utd due to the history of the league. In around 20 years it may all change, if either of those teams never win the title again.

It should also be noted that for the majority of clubs their biggest game of the season is when they play Utd, whether it is Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Wigan etc

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm

The A420 derby - Oxford United vs Swindon Town obviously...

No, I think the Manchester derbies will have the greatest effect on the title race but the Liv/Utd derby will always be special.

Man Utd V Arsenal? randy
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 am

I think is used to be when Liverpool challenged for the league, but maybe not so much now, I think man u see Chelsea and City as bigger games!

It is a big game in Liverpool's eyes beacuse of what Man u have achieved recently, much like Middlesbrough see v Newcastle as a big game, but it sint to Newcastle

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:22 pm

JDandfries wrote:I think is used to be when Liverpool challenged for the league, but maybe not so much now, I think man u see Chelsea and City as bigger games!

It is a big game in Liverpool's eyes beacuse of what Man u have achieved recently, much like Middlesbrough see v Newcastle as a big game, but it sint to Newcastle

Liverpool v Everton and Man U are the two games I look forward to the most each season.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:57 pm

The BIGGEST game is surely the one that has the greatest baring on the season as a whole, so it will often have nothing at all to do with a BIG club eg. the Wigan Athletic v Sheffield Utd match a few seasons ago (winner stayed up, loser went down), or even the Wigan Athletic v West Ham match at the end of last season, both were probably the BIGGEST matches of the season, they certainly decided as much as any other individual matches.

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by jro786 Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am

JDandfries wrote:I think is used to be when Liverpool challenged for the league, but maybe not so much now, I think man u see Chelsea and City as bigger games!

obviously it's now the manchester derby
jro786
jro786

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

Agree Reallyreal

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Well Sir Alex Ferguson has joined in the debate and has said that the Liverpool-Manchester United is not only the biggest game in the league, but the biggest game in the world.

"You know the difference - Barcelona's one end of the country, Madrid the other," he said. "The fans don't travel [in Spain]. The only game that can rival United-Liverpool is Rangers-Celtic."

Ferguson added: "I have always considered it to be the game of the season in English football. It is all to do with the history of both clubs and cities."

"That [hostility] is never going to change but I think both clubs need each other. The history both clubs have should be appreciated by both sets of fans. That's sometimes annoying when I hear silly chants about Munich, about Hillsborough, I don't think it does either club any good at all because, without each other, there wouldn't be the English league. If it came to a stage where fans were banned from each other's ground, it wouldn't really be the same game. We need each other in that respect. The respect, in terms of the history of both clubs, should be adhered to and hopefully we can see that because it's a fantastic occasion."

So he also has something to say about the other thing being discussed recently to do with fan behaviour.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dondelero Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Apparently King Kenny disagrees with SAF and is reported to have said the game against Utd is not the biggest game of the season for Liverpool. It has been suggested that maybe he said this because he thinks games against Villa and Stoke are bigger games as those clubs are maybe Liverpool's main rivals for fifth spot!

dondelero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 pm

As a United fan I have to say that United v Liverpool is the biggest game of our season. Its the game I'm always the most nervous going into and most happy I come out of if United win. At the end of the day these are the two biggest and most succesful clubs in the country

Manchester derby would be the second biggest for me (again as a United fan), but thats basing it on the fact that until this season we were the more superior team in the city. We'll find out next week if that has changed. They've spent a lot, but they've spent well so it will only get more important now there's more than bragging rights on the line

Taking United out of the equation the games I always look forward too on Sky are the North London and Merseyside derbies as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down