The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..?

+13
gelodge
Huwball
wygart
wonder_man
Shifty
slartibartfast
Glas a du
TheGreyGhost
Davie
Gatts
mystiroakey
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
17 posters

Go down

Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..? Empty Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..?

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

Or the adage that you never know which French team will turn up...?

The cliches are flying around the press this week.

France had a metoric reversal of form in a week since the players apparently privately fired their coach. Wales have had a steady rise from mediocrity over four months together lead by their coach.

Wales personify hard work and a good attitude, France a nonchalance with an underlying skill.

Leivremont chastised and then fired, Gatland criticised now acclaimed...

There is a myriad of metaphors and stories in this semifinal...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..? Empty Re: Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..?

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:21 pm

Yes Wales can beat beat anyone on their day, but it generally requires a SH ref who allows players arriving at the ruck to go off their feet and come round the sides to grab the tackler off their feet.
Fully expect the French front row to target Jenkins to get the tight calls at scrum time but if Wales get some quick ball they should create some havoc.

Back to top Go down

Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..? Empty Re: Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..?

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

We're not playing anyone on Saturday, we're playing the French Very Happy

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:We're not playing anyone on Saturday, we're playing the French Very Happy

Ha ha ha...!

Interesting that apparently the prof feu is not incharge that parra is still at ten...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

i dont believe this old adage about what french team will turn up.

i think wales can beat all NH teams on there day including france on there day(at present) but not NZ or perhaps SA or AUS

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i dont believe this old adage about what french team will turn up.

i think wales can beat all NH teams on there day including france on there day(at present) but not NZ or perhaps SA or AUS

You don't think Wales can win the world cup?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:i dont believe this old adage about what french team will turn up.

You don't think Wales can win the world cup?

i would be happy for you lot to win, your playing nice stuff-- i will be betting on you against france- but i cant see any team past NZ especially at home

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:43 pm

You can rely on one thing. We won't know which France will turn up, if indeed they do at all.
In my view they flattered to deceive against an English side that had faced very little quality opposition. They were dismal against tonga and although the parra experiment is bedding in i think they are still prone to losing cohesion. Wales may choose to play a more structured game initially. Keeping possession, pick and drive and being patient. We need to negate France's potent counterattacking ability by keeping the ball and using touch.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:44 pm

if you play with intensity and limit mistakes you will win- and that doesnt matter what france turns up, because its a myth anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 8:59 pm

The most exciting and rewarding thing about Wales at the moment is that they have confidence and patience in defence and attack. That is very much the two main attributes of RWC winners.

The team learn and improve every game.

Doesnt mean I am confident myself, but these are the things that make me believe that this team will surprise me again and again.

They can do it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:07 pm

you have to believe. nothing wrong with that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:you have to believe. nothing wrong with that
What are you reasons for Wales not being able to beat any of the SH teams?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

Cliches are cliches for a reason - that reason is they are usually true

Wales probably can "beat anyone on their day". Maybe a better question would be "who is the highest ranked team that couldn't beat anyone on their day"

My vote would probably go to Argentina or Italy

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:18 pm

i think you could beat AUS and SA. I think NZ are just so good mind

I think you could beat any of them in a one of game as well, but if we are talking about both teams being on there game- then its a tough call surely.

Wales have come a long way, problem is its very early days , you havent prooved enough as of yet- its really that simple

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

I'm not sure France had such a turn around in form. I think they were just as about the same as they were in the rest of the competition, and I think it's more a reflection of where England are at that they lost.

As for Wales, when I'm still not convinced. Ireland were poor in their 1/4 final, having played their final against a woefully depleted Australia. Wales have still not beaten anyone of note and have already lost to the home bound Springboks.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

France had a metoric reversal of form

Eh?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I'm not sure France had such a turn around in form. I think they were just as about the same as they were in the rest of the competition, and I think it's more a reflection of where England are at that they lost.

As for Wales, when I'm still not convinced. Ireland were poor in their 1/4 final, having played their final against a woefully depleted Australia. Wales have still not beaten anyone of note and have already lost to the home bound Springboks.

Please tell me you work in the diplomatic service/as a spin doctor/in PR. If not, that's a prodigious talent going to waste.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

Its RWC. Its semi final time.
Anything HAS happened, Ireland beat Aus, Tonga beat France, and anything CAN happen.
The normal rules do not apply and in fact the cliche about beating anyone on their day is more valid now than at any other time.
They have reached a RWC semi playing sublime rugby and are without injury.
If Colin Meads is backing them that's good enough for me.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:26 pm

Glas a du wrote:
France had a metoric reversal of form

Eh?

They certainly looked like they were going to win the game from the start.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:28 pm

Glas a du wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:I'm not sure France had such a turn around in form. I think they were just as about the same as they were in the rest of the competition, and I think it's more a reflection of where England are at that they lost.

Please tell me you work in the diplomatic service/as a spin doctor/in PR. If not, that's a prodigious talent going to waste.

He is right but of course it swings both ways. NZ without Carter have not faced anyone of note. Lets see how they fare against their auld enemy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:31 pm

yes, yes they can
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

Do you believe that Wales can beat anyone on their day..?
No I don't, until we beat South Africa, Australia or New Zealand, I will consider Wales physiologically flawed.
We did well to over come Samoa and Fiji, but we are a better team anyway, and Ireland were always beatable even though they were marginal favorites, but we still got the better of South Africa and didn't believe we could win and until I see Wales beat one of the big 3 I am not convinced the good times will be ahead for us.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:34 pm

It's all true Gatts. And to be honest I'm bricking it. There are no excuses at the RWC. If NZ fall to Australia we will hand them another 4 years of unbearable boasting material to their frighteningly youthful team, and give away a 25 year legacy at Eden Park.

If NZ lose then there will be those who will say NZ are nothing without Carter. Henry has to get his selection and tactics spot on, and NZ have to start with a confidence and intensity that has been absent in the competition so far and maintain that for 80 minutes.

Full credit to the Welsh, but I feel the winners are coming from the SH side of the draw.

A final for Wales is likely to be one game too far. Too much to overturn in too short a time frame. For France, well they never back up a good performance, so imagining 3 on the trot is just unimaginable.

I'm picking France to topple Wales this week. I don't know why, and I don't want it to happen, I'll be in the Welsh camp on the weekend. I'm not sure why but whenever Welsh fans are feeling confident, they tend to be brought down to Earth on an express elevator.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

We all have our fall points.

It is learning and improving that makes a team better. This welsh team have learnt and improved every game.

After the loss to the Boks at the start of this RWC, Sam Warburton, Gatland, Priestland et al may well have thought of the famous Carwyn James dressing room statement from the aftermath of the loss of the second Lions test in 71, "I now know how to beat these guys".

What a shame we don't get an opportunity to play them again in the competition. You can only play the teams you get in the draw. Hopefully we have learnt enough to win those encounters to.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

Good luck...I'll be cheering on Wales this weekend. Unfortunately from London and not NZ as I'd hoped, due to circumstances beyond my control.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

both are cliches,, meaning there said again and again non stop.. why? because they are true

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:51 pm

GG

I agree about the elevator, i have been riding it up and down for years. Perhaps your perspective is clouded by being witness to so may trips up and down. Fact is our youthful side has no experience of it.

I think that Wales situation is different and do not agree with the one game too far theory. on the contrary i think they have improved on each occasion. I think the more games the better. They are young and fitter than ever, clearly playing the full 80 with only 2 subs in the last game. They are almost injury free with a clear 1ST XV and have bred strength in depth from nothing. our bench v SA is in my view what cost us, now that our 1st XV is clear we have the likes of Hook and Jones R and S to call o. The majority of the side has no experience of that rollercoaster elevator ride that Wales usually go on. It has been based on occassional brilliance but now there is much more substance and a solid set piece game in front of a killer backline.

They are on a roll. true it may stop this weekend or the next but I don't expect to see Wales go into their shell which normally heralds the end of that roll. Key for me was the first 10 v Ireland. That was surgical not clinical and countered everything elevator riders have come to expect from Wales.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:56 pm

Gatts wrote:GG

I agree about the elevator, i have been riding it up and down for years. Perhaps your perspective is clouded by being witness to so may trips up and down. Fact is our youthful side has no experience of it.

I think that Wales situation is different and do not agree with the one game too far theory. on the contrary i think they have improved on each occasion. I think the more games the better. They are young and fitter than ever, clearly playing the full 80 with only 2 subs in the last game. They are almost injury free with a clear 1ST XV and have bred strength in depth from nothing. our bench v SA is in my view what cost us, now that our 1st XV is clear we have the likes of Hook and Jones R and S to call o. The majority of the side has no experience of that rollercoaster elevator ride that Wales usually go on. It has been based on occassional brilliance but now there is much more substance and a solid set piece game in front of a killer backline.

They are on a roll. true it may stop this weekend or the next but I don't expect to see Wales go into their shell which normally heralds the end of that roll. Key for me was the first 10 v Ireland. That was surgical not clinical and countered everything elevator riders have come to expect from Wales.

I like that Priestland guy. He's class. Hardly ever makes a bad decision. Where did he come from? I'd never heard of him before the warm up games.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

The team that beats Wales will do so by out thinking them. I'm not sure out of the three teams left will do that best.

I think our biggest fear would be Australia. We are quite a similar side.

Though I also pray for the fitness of Adam jones

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm

maestegmafia wrote:The team that beats Wales will do so by out thinking them. I'm not sure out of the three teams left will do that best.

Agreed they play the same tempo so get how we do it...is jones crocked?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:

I like that Priestland guy. He's class. Hardly ever makes a bad decision. Where did he come from? I'd never heard of him before the warm up games.

Stephen jones understudy at the Scarlets. Been in pro rugby for three seasons. Last year he started to show good consistent form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:

He is currently on the sick list and may not figure....he is there by accident really having replaced SJ at 10 when the latter pulled up with a claf in Aug warm up v Eng. He owns 10 now and his loss could be crucial

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm

Gatts wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:The team that beats Wales will do so by out thinking them. I'm not sure out of the three teams left will do that best.

no DON'T PANIC jones is fine...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:08 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Gatts wrote:

no DON'T PANIC jones is fine...!

thank feck, I actually clenched

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm

Gatts wrote:
TheGreyGhost wrote:

He is currently on the sick list and may not figure....he is there by accident really having replaced SJ at 10 when the latter pulled up with a claf in Aug warm up v Eng. He owns 10 now and his loss could be crucial

Don't worry he was declared fit too...! We have a fit squad for the weekend. Charters and Roberts are both fine too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

I am looking at a 9 hr old story saying he isn't yet fit and is not training (Guardian)?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm

Why IS no one talking about can France cope with WALES?
Yes France have danger men but as against Tonga as against Italy as always against England they crumble when you man up,
This Welsh side just look to smart and physical to let France get to far ahead and France always struggle when the game is close they make mistakes.

Look back to 2009 six nations a much better French side went in half time 20 nil up against a poorer Wales side full time score was 21 Wales -23 to France and lets not forget the illegal restart at the end by France who were on the ropes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

As stated, the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/11/rugby-world-cup-priestland-wales

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm

They are saying he is fit to play,then not fit according to the BBC,but the WRU still say he is ready to play.
He will play,this is a World Cup semi final he will want to play as will his management i doubt he will play the full 80 but they will get an hour out of him with Hook off the bench.

Inject his shoulder with Cortisone and let him play,the All Blacks did this regularly with Dan Carter's ankle.

Back to top Go down

Post by wygart Tue 11 Oct 2011, 10:43 pm

if we can put pressure on Para at 10 and disrupt their back line in a way in England couldn't do and play a little more possession rugby then we are in with a shout.

wygart

Back to top Go down

Post by Huwball Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:19 pm

As a proud Welshman, I'd love to say that the boys can beat anyone, but let us put things in perspective - we lost to South Africa, we beat Fiji, Samoa and Namibia, and beat Ireland.

Now don't get me wrong, they do look very good, but (and as I said don't get me wrong) Ireland aren't exactly the best side in the world are they?

Do we deserve to be 4th - yes probably, but if, and that is a big if, we beat France, we go 3rd. Now are we better than SA? did we beat them in the pool stages? NO.

I think this is were the rankings are wrong, as our win rate is being skewed by the double point thingy.

I really want Wales to win and after a few pints in Gorseinon at 8am Ale , I'm sure I will be positive they can win Yahoo , but we really need to take one step at a time - Come on Wales notworthy

Huwball

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:40 pm

The way to beat Wales is relatively simple, pin them back, keep the pressure on and play simple rugby. Ireland played like idiots, ROG forgetting what his strengths are and trying to pretend he was Sexton. France will mess up because they seem incapable of a tactical approach and they've picked Parra again who doesn't have the above sort of game. NZ or Aus will know what to do and will come out on top.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:10 am

gelodge wrote:

The way to beat Wales is relatively simple, pin them back, keep the pressure on and play simple rugby. Ireland played like idiots, ROG forgetting what his strengths are and trying to pretend he was Sexton.

Ireland were camped on the welsh line for 20 minutes and were rewarded with nothing. I dont think your pin'em back tactic works...!

Wales are an intelligent team in attack and particularly in defence.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 12 Oct 2011, 7:45 am

Yes but Ireland were poor
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:01 am

nganboy wrote:Yes but Ireland were poor
Ireland were poor because Wales cut off their back row, beat them in the set piece and had a stronger defence.

That was the same Ireland team that beat Australia in a pretty convincing fashion.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 12 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:I think our biggest fear would be Australia.

I agree with you that I'd be more worried about facing the Wallabies than I would be about facing the All Blacks, as daft as that sounds. It's just that Australia's backs are capable of undoing any defence in the world whereas the All Blacks, formidable and difficult to stop as they are, are a more predictable side.

Also, the Wallabies don't need to win the World Cup three times just yet. That would just be greedy.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Wed 12 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gelodge wrote:

The way to beat Wales is relatively simple, pin them back, keep the pressure on and play simple rugby. Ireland played like idiots, ROG forgetting what his strengths are and trying to pretend he was Sexton.

Ireland were camped on the welsh line for 20 minutes and were rewarded with nothing. I dont think your pin'em back tactic works...!

Wales are an intelligent team in attack and particularly in defence.

It wasn't sustained pressure, they didn't play sensible rugby when they got there, they kept on turning down points and going for the big score or extravagant and loose play, showing poor execution and handling in the process.

They also tried to run themselves out of their own half far too much, giving rise to at least one try and penalty.

For an example of the simple things that needed to be done, see the end of the SA v Wales match.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Bujin Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:04 pm

I have been really impressed with this Welsh team, they look so physically strong and fit and their skills are very good. I definitely think they can beat France this weekend and then they can re-assess for the Final against a battered Aus or NZ side. I hope that Australia beats NZ and we play Wales in the Final that would be a fantastic match.

One of my favourite memories of when I lived in Europe was going to an Australia v Wales match in Millenium stadium a few years ago. The Welsh supporters around us were so good, full of jokes and banter, bought us drinks and even though Australia won they were still smiling and laughing with us, it was a great experience for me. So just for that good luck this weekend thumbsup

Bujin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

Bujin Thank you Ale

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down