The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will GSP retain his welterweight title?

5 posters

Go down

What will the outcome be in the UFC 137 main event?

Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_lcap78%Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_rcap 78% 
[ 7 ]
Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_lcap0%Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_lcap11%Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_lcap0%Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_lcap11%Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Empty Will GSP retain his welterweight title?

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 8:25

UFC 137 is fast approaching, off of the back of the highly successful 136. The main events and title fights this year have been fantastic, 2011 has been a really strong year for the UFC and now GSP the greatest welterweight in the world is defending his title against arguably one of the best and most dangerous opponents he's ever faced. Condit has earnt fight of the night, KO of the night and been dubbed 'the Killer'. So which way do you see this fight going?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Empty Re: Will GSP retain his welterweight title?

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 13 Oct - 8:50

I expect a GSP UD.

Condit deserves his shot but GSP is too well-rounded and safety first-minded so I can see GSP staying safe behind his jab which is extremely good and then trying to take Condit to the floor.

Condit is dangerous on his feet and on the floor with only 1 decision win in is 27 odd wins and he's never been knocked out so GSP will be wary, however this will probably only add to his safety-first approach.

I really hope GSP does not go to decision but I see the fight going that way.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Will GSP retain his welterweight title? Empty Re: Will GSP retain his welterweight title?

Post by Clunge4life Thu 13 Oct - 9:10

I agree Valero......can only see a wide UD for GSP.

I'm a big fan of his and don't mind if he doesnt finish the fight. It's up to the challenger to take the fight to him.

Another clinic put on by GSP.

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 9:37

I voted GSP by submission - I see this fight being similar to the Hardy fight with GSP dominating with his wrestling, taking the fight to the ground. However, I think GSP will want to prove he can finish opponents and believe he will submit Condit - his Kimora and arm lock on Hardy were brutal and I think if he snaps one of those one Condit he will tap. I'm sure GSP has learnt the lessons from the Hardy fight.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 13 Oct - 10:20

Agree Clunge that it's up to Condit to bring the fight to GSP but I still would like GSP really go for a finish.

Maybe 'The Killer' will bring out the killer instinct in GSP?!?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 13 Oct - 10:22

I think Condit will give GSP his toughest fight for a while but went for GSP ud.

Condit needs to get GSP swinging like Hardy to KO him and that's just never going to happen and he's not going to get a decision against GSP.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Thu 13 Oct - 10:50

How does everyone see the co main event between BJ Penn & Nick Diaz going?

I think BJ will win this rather easily - weather it stays standing or goes to the ground - i think he will easily outwork Diaz at both.

Going for BJ submission victory after rocking Diaz on his feet.

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 13 Oct - 11:04

I think Diaz will win.

I can see this being a stand up fight. They are both some of the best boxers in mma but not many can handle Diaz punching style and he will have a decent reach adv.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 13 Oct - 11:36

I think Diaz will win by close decision in what will hopefully be a Fight of the Night/Year candidate.

Both are dangerous on their feet and on the ground.

For both guys a win will be a big name on their CV and Diaz will want to prove something and a win should see him challenge GSP as he should have originally done.

I'm much more looking forward to this fight than GSP vs Condit.

If BJ wins, do you think he'd fight GSP again?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 13:10

Hard one to call - it all depends how motivated Diaz is. He's going into the fight with something to prove and if he really wants that title shot against GSP could pull a Sonnen. But BJ is a talented fighter so he'll be a tough nut to crack. I personally don't want to see just a boxing match - I like it when fighters mix it up - ground and standing.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 13 Oct - 13:33

It'll be interesting to see BJs cardio in the 3rd round now he is back at WW. Diaz has amazing stamina so BJ could be in trouble if he starts gassing.

Although he seemed to cope ok against fitch over 3 rounds. I forgot about that one.

Diaz is one of my favourite fighters so I hope he wins, plus who wants to see BJ get beat from GSP again?

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 15:18

Diaz really needs to make a good impression in this fight as technically it's his UFC debut and he was originally meant to be in the title fight against GSP. Not a great way to start the next stage of your career in the biggest MMA organisation.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Thu 13 Oct - 15:21

I am going for a GSP UD victory here. Condit fought and although got the W against Rory Macdonald that was a hard fight for Condit and I had Condit losing the first two rounds against Macdonald. Rory trains very closely with GSP and he will use that to come up with a great game plan against Condit, and we all know how good GSP is with his game plans, but that being said I can’t see Condit taping and certainly not getting knocked out so a UD victory here for GSP.

As for the Diaz Penn fight, Penn is at his best at 155 and I believe his only 2 UFC victories at 170 have come against Matt Hughes, he has lost to GSP and a draw against Fitch (although I thought Penn won that fight personally). I see the Diaz wining this fight, again via UD although I will be hoping for a Penn victory.

If Penn does however get the victory that causes a lot of problems of whom GSP (if he wins) will fight next for the belt. You can’t put Diaz in a title fight off of a loss and like easthfc said does anybody really want to see GSP vs. Penn III? Especially as GSP has already beaten Penn twice

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Thu 13 Oct - 15:27

talkingpoint wrote:Diaz really needs to make a good impression in this fight as technically it's his UFC debut and he was originally meant to be in the title fight against GSP. Not a great way to start the next stage of your career in the biggest MMA organisation.

This is Diaz UFC return, he fought 10 times for the UFC previously finishing up 6-4 overall in them 10 fights (in fairness to Diaz all them UFC losses came via decision and mainly via lay n prey, Diaz does have a weak spot against wrestlers and the UFC WW division is full of strong wrestlers).

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 15:36

am I the only one optimistic enough for a submission? Fair enough.

Thanks Gibbo sorry should have done my homework on that one! Smile

Yeah Diaz's no show at the press conference has potentially caused more problems than initially realised for the UFC. If it had been 1/1 there would be an argument for a rematch between Penn and GSP but as GSP is 2 for 2 there really is little reason to have them fight again. How about Ellenberger? He finished Shield's in scarily quick fashion and as Shield's was a former No 1 at UFC 129 then it gives him some credibility.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Thu 13 Oct - 15:49

talkingpoint wrote:am I the only one optimistic enough for a submission? Fair enough.

Thanks Gibbo sorry should have done my homework on that one! Smile

Yeah Diaz's no show at the press conference has potentially caused more problems than initially realised for the UFC. If it had been 1/1 there would be an argument for a rematch between Penn and GSP but as GSP is 2 for 2 there really is little reason to have them fight again. How about Ellenberger? He finished Shield's in scarily quick fashion and as Shield's was a former No 1 at UFC 129 then it gives him some credibility.

If GSP was to finish I agree I can only see it coming via submission, but yeah you’re the only one who is that optimistic so far lol! How much of an expert are you going to look though and how foolish we will all look if GSP pulls off an armbar sub 45 seconds into the first!

I like the Ellenberger shout against GSP should Penn pull off the victory against Diaz but I think, considering the timing some kind of number one contender fight should happen. Personally I loke maybe an Ellenberger vs. either Jon Fitch or maybe a Rory Macdonald for a number one contenders match.
As I stated above though I don’t know how Rory would feel about facing GSP as they are close training partners?

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 13 Oct - 19:06

It certainly will cause a dilema if BJ wins as surely he'll be entitled a shot at GSP if Diaz was originally meant to be worthy to face GSP, however BJ is 0-2 against him.

It may be unfair to BJ but if Diaz wins I'd like to see Diaz get a direct shot at GSP and a win against BJ would add to the hype.

Although if BJ wins I'd like to see him face Ellenberger in a title fight eliminator and then maybe Diaz vs Shields however as they are both in the close knit Scrap Pack I can't see it ever happening.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 13 Oct - 21:31

I guess it's a watch this space situation. Going back to the GSP/Condit fight I see GSP getting a takedown early in the first and from there setting the pace. GSP always loves taking his opponents out of their comfort zones as well as protecting himself from where they are most dangerous. I think he won't want to trade and box with Condit for too long and so I see him taking his chances on the ground. I don't think Condit is going to pressure him as much as he thinks he will - GSP is in a league of his own in the WW division and the reality of being in the Octagon with him will be a very different experience for Condit. I expect GSP to control this fight. I also expect GSP to be motivated for a stoppage - he said he wasn't happy with his performance against Hardy and he also wanted to get the KO against Koscheck.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down