The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Mickelson's short game DVD

Go down

Phil Mickelson's short game DVD Empty Phil Mickelson's short game DVD

Post by sharrison01 Wed 02 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

Just wondered if anyone out there has seen the short game wizard's DVD and any thoughts on it?

It is hard to deny that he is one of the greatest short game players of his generation if not all time and his instructional DVD certainly seems to go against a lot of conventional teachings with regards to putting, chipping and pitching.

For example, with putting he believes that you should never have your eyes directly over the ball but rather behind and inside it so that you can look down the line while you make your stroke. Another interesting tip was his "hinge and hold" method for chipping and pitching where you break your wrists quickly on the way back and hold them through to get a consistent and aggressive strike.

Interestingly for someone that works (or worked I believe?) with Dave Pelz he completely dismisses the idea of pitching in a "clock" style where the length of your backswing determines the distance of the shot. I have always chipped and pitched with some wrist hinge but reverted back to Pelz's "clock method" when I've had a bit of a lay off to get some feel for distance back before finding my more natural swing but watching the DVD sure does make a lot of sense. I'm not sure how easy it would be to follow wothout proper practise though.

I think you can find an array of clips on you tube that might give you the gist as it's a really expensive DVD due to a limited release but if you like the look of it then I would recommend it for his entertainment alone...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down