The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf Swing - what is this technique

+5
drive4show
K@S
Marcus
kwinigolfer
Maverick
9 posters

Go down

The Golf Swing - what is this technique Empty The Golf Swing - what is this technique

Post by Maverick Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I thought I'd come across all methods of golf techniques and teachings having a fair few friends who are teachings pro's. However after.a long chat this evening with my closest friend a long time teaching pro and little Mavettes instructor and more importantly one of the coaches to hertfordshire juniors; has brought something new to my attention(its new to me at least, others on here may already know of it).

The method we discussed or more realistically he told me about, is he reckons the newset one that will take golf by storm and is supposedly the easiest method to learn and maintain, but let's be honest we've heard that statement before so I piled in with questions. The new (well so called new method) is called the "right sided golf swing" supposedly anyone can learn it and maintain it, didn't they say that about S&T?

From what he tells me its all about the arms creating the turn and leverage and using the big muscles as secondary features in the swing unlike conventional methods that get us using the bigger muscles to control the arms! Rather than sitting here boring you with how it works, its better I direct you to the website of its founder, just google gary edwin or google right sided golf swing and it'll lead you to his aussie website.

It seems to be a big hit with the aussie pro's Rod Pampling PGA tour player being an exponent and Gavin Coles nationwide tour player(hopefully kwini confirm I've got that point right about coles). My friend who is somewhat a student of the swing has booked himself onto a seminar and weeks coaching out in Oz with the Edwin team to learn more of it as he feels the more he knows of all methods the more he can help his students.

Just wondered if anyone had a)heard of it, B)uses it or c) thinks its a load of crap and we should stick with grip it and rip it!

So to finish we have the coaching styles such as Harmon teaches a one piece takeaway, Haney the early set, Leadbetter teaches very mechanically, Foley steals S&T influences and claims he's add a twist then Plummer & Bennett gave creation to Stack and Tilt proper! Do we now add Gary Edwin to that list and will we see many tour converts maybe Tiger should sign up now!

Last edited by Maverick on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lack of sleep not condusive to good spelling)

Maverick

Back to top Go down

The Golf Swing - what is this technique Empty Re: The Golf Swing - what is this technique

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:40 pm

thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

The Golf Swing - what is this technique Empty Re: The Golf Swing - what is this technique

Post by Marcus Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:10 am

I'll go for option C.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:30 am

After looking at some of the "YouTube" videos it looks very similar to my swing when playing into a strong headwind.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:43 am

Option C for me too. Possibly one of the worst teaching ideas I've ever seen Yikes

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:26 pm

C) as well - I've said before that I was taught how to hit the ball by my father, a club pro before WW2.

His technique for me was........
This is how you hold the club, watch what I do, follow what I do and hit it as hard as you can in the same direction!

Possibly the first exponent of 'grip it and rip it'!

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Didn't Nicklaus once say when teaching a child get them to hit it as hard as they can and then teach them to straighten it up later?

What about option D) use whatever works for you whether its old fashioned, new fangled or the latest fad as long as it works for you

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:52 am

as someone whose swing was a product of trying to emulate TW (10 when he won the masters in 97) this is not gonna work for me!! I'll stick with to using my hips and shoulders as the driving force of my swing.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:40 am

Looks pretty horrific on youtube.... seems to be working well for Gavin Coles today though!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Just remind me what Rod Pamling and Gavin Coles have won? Sounds to me very much like it's a bit of snake oil for the gullible. Some may make it work but you can count me out.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 am

Ironically at this very moment Coles leads the Nationwide event.

However I agree this technique is not for me and not something I would try, but can see how its meant to be easy to maintain and why some people may make the switch, which is why I never choose to judge an individuals swing even if it looks like Eamon Darcy's because it it works then that surely is all that matters

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Maverick wrote:Ironically at this very moment Coles leads the Nationwide event.

However I agree this technique is not for me and not something I would try, but can see how its meant to be easy to maintain and why some people may make the switch, which is why I never choose to judge an individuals swing even if it looks like Eamon Darcy's because it it works then that surely is all that matters

Very true. More than one way to skin a cat and all that. I remember Eamonn well (did you see his 'Barnes Wallace' up 18 at The Belfry to win the old B&H?) but I think his awesome putting may have had quite a bit to do with his success.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I have seen replays of that moment he did that. He was rather good with the flat stick.

The interesting point though of my discussion with my friend was that no matter what technique is coached or how unorthodox the action is that as long as the blade is delivered to the ball at impact the same everytime the swing to priduce that result is totally irrelevant, and he felt to many teaching pro's pull this important fact out of some swings that really don't require much work to achieve instead they choose to rebuild swings according to the pga manual which is not ideal for all.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down