The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act

+19
J.Benson II
cave_man_KO
TopHat24/7
The genius of PBF
Sir. badgerhands
OasisBFC
JDandfries
AlexHuckerby
tcribb
captain carrantuohil
Fists of Fury
oxring
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Soldier_Of_Fortune
milkyboy
Waingro
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
23 posters

Go down

Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act Empty Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

I am shocked with a) how well he boxed to a gameplan and b) how much technical ability he had, not saying he is a world beater but really put on a good showfor us last night and this presser shows his class in defeat.

Well done Bellew, you maniac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8RUrMC_7M

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act Empty Re: Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

1. He lost to unproven fighter who is a paper champ at best...

2. What great technical ability.

3. You don't think they really hated eachother do you....

Sure give credit to a guy that takes a top quality fighter all the way.....

But don't go overboard....on this guy!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act Empty Re: Tony Bellew: Turns out to be a class act

Post by Scottrf Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Why did you number those points?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:24 pm

Because I like using numbers.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

i dont think i am, Bellew showed some very good technica lability, neither are world beaters no but we can still look at this and say it was a great spectacle, i really enjoyed it and it exceeded expectaitons. Plus unlike the nonsense we are dealing with across the pond after last night Bellew didnt complain didnt bemoan the scoring, he gave his dues to Clev after, breath of fresh air. And yes, i do know about hype selling fights but thats not my point Truss. for some reason you are misinterpreting my meaning

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

No he was happy with his performance because I don't think he expected to win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

Tbh I was surprised at how good Bellew was I did not think he would do aswell as he did. Think he is a much better guy than people thought at the start when he was trying to wind Cleverly up yes at times he seemed out of order but after the fight he gave respect to Cleverly and showed that he is a good guy who is trying his best or his family. I for one would like to see him fight for a European title I do not think losing closely to Cleverly will do too much damage.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

You can only say how good a guy is when you know the standard of the opposition....

Cleverly who knows??..took a giant step back!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

bellew summarised on the smith brothers bill last month... was surprisingly good at it i thought. Bit more to him than the mad scouser he's been portrayed as. And as has been said, did himself much credit in the ring and in the conference last night.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No he was happy with his performance because I don't think he expected to win..

Truss you make no sense at all sometimes mate

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:59 pm

Truss still dwells in the 80's. He rather watch a fight where some gets body slammed for a knockout, then actually a good competitive fight which he doesn't give credit to either fighter.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

Bellew deserves a lot of credit for being able to stay with Cleverly and make the fight as close and interesting as it was. He was given no chance by a lot of people and a lot of people said he was out his depths.

Granted the tag of World champion has lead to the inevitable over the top hype about how good Cleverly is. He's a Euro level guy imo and considering the best Bellew had faced before him was a domestic fighter in McKenzie he done very well.

I think both should forget about a rematch just now and Bellew should go and fight at European level for a while or maybe even move up to cruiserweight as he supposedly has to drain a lot off to make 175lbs.

Cleverly should focus on fringe contenders and hope for a big pay day to come his way because he just doesn't look world class and I'm not sure he ever will be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

Bellew will be Euro champ within a year - apparently that's his next fight...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:24 pm

That would be a good fight for him he proved last night he's of that quality. No doubt Fwank will be able to get him the fight in Liverpool as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:39 pm

Good luck to Bellew. After speaking with him back in September it was clear to me at least that he was a good bloke, and he dispelled some of the doubts I had about his ability last night.

Hope he goes on to win the EBU title and moves on from there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:49 pm

Still think he was surprised he did so well and thinks it's enhanced his reputation....

Therefore he could afford to be magnanimous.....

Calling someone a f*****g rat in public and pretending to attack him even if half-heartedly could be misconstrued as unclassy though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:51 pm

He did say afterwards that all of the effing and blinding had been a ploy to draw Cleverly into a war, though. I guess only he knows if that was indeed the case or whether he was genuinely losing it at those times.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm

Think it was more to give him some confidence going in.....

Think he was so magmanimous afterwards because he was surprised at how well he did..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:06 pm

Magnanimous. Sometimes words are spelled as they are pronounced.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Still think he was surprised he did so well and thinks it's enhanced his reputation....

Therefore he could afford to be magnanimous.....

Calling someone a f*****g rat in public and pretending to attack him even if half-heartedly could be misconstrued as unclassy though..

Nearly as bad as calling someone a dumbass and a d--- head on website isn't it ?

tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 16 Oct 2011, 10:26 pm

to be fair tcribb, truss has never claimed to be classy... beefy yes, classy no

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Oct 2011, 3:56 am

truss - can it. he showcased a lot of good skill against clev. proved to me that he is an above average boxer who will give it everything he has. was in a fantastic fight and seriously pushed a guy people thought was streets ahead of him and could have perhaps sneaked a win if he had a bit more experience or if he didnt gas near the end. no shame in losing to a good fighter in clev especially the way he lost considering he was a massive underdog. bellew must say you have won me over and i was rather negative of him before the fight, in defeat acted like a good guy gave clev full credit for the win and clearly genuinely cared and was in tears at the end.
didnt think he would win? must say i disagree wholeheartedly the body languge he had the confidence he was giving off the fact he came in with a clear gameplan didnt blow the tank when he had his chances to and the fact he clearly trained extremely hard and judging from his personality being a proud scouser says to me he felt he had a really good chance of winning and had every intention of winning.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:03 am

I think people have seen this the wrong way, personally, I never rated Cleverly, but I didn't think he was that bad!

One thing for certain is that he shouldn't be looking to take on Bhop, Dawson or Pascal anytime soon, well anytime really.

he nearly lost (draw in my book) to Bellew who showed little else than a decent jab, which managed to give Cleverly all sorts of problems!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:24 am

i really liked bellew's effort and comments after the fight.

he made a fan in me on sat night.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

OasisBFC wrote:i really liked bellew's effort and comments after the fight.

I agree mate just foes to show how different people can be in the build up when they are selling a fight, look at Haye many people do not like him now but let not forget he was trying to bring interst back into boxing and make the heavyweight division exciting again, i think people are too harsh and seem to forget that

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:50 am

Waingro wrote:

I agree mate just foes to show how different people can be in the build up when they are selling a fight, look at Haye many people do not like him now but let not forget he was trying to bring interst back into boxing and make the heavyweight division exciting again, i think people are too harsh and seem to forget that

Please don't compare the two, at least Bellew came to fight!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:52 am

JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Are you going to forever judge Haye on a handful of HW fights?

Shame really.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:09 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

yes, because he is a twit.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

Even handedness and objectivity not your strong points obviously.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

That's a bit rich coming from you!!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:34 am

JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

How so?

Can you back that up?
Or are you just typing the first thing that comes into your head?

Aardvark, see we can all do the same!

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

My view is just the opposite of yours, so if my is not objective, surely your's isnt either?

Or are you just being so even handed because i disgree and dislike Mr Haye?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

JDandfries wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

My view is just the opposite of yours, so if my is not objective, surely your's isnt either?

Has nothing to do with the fact your opinion differs from mine, I care not a jot.

Just makes me chuckle that since Friday you have had a bee in your knickers over Haye.

Even to the extent of bringing Haye into a thread about Bellew.

Still, each to their own I guess.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm

Yet to see the fight...Was it a robbery?

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

Didn’t score it but don’t think it was a robbery.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:05 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:Yet to see the fight...Was it a robbery?

Robbery in Liverpool?

No, it was probably fair, but two judges scored it a bit wide for me

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

Has nothing to do with the fact your opinion differs from mine, I care not a jot.

Just makes me chuckle that since Friday you have had a bee in your knickers over Haye.

I have never liked Mr Haye, not just since Friday, but since you mentioned Mr Haye first, I thought I would respond.

I think he is a Holly Wilaboobie, you like him, I'm cool your opinion differs from mine.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:17 pm

JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Shame really.

I have never liked Mr Haye, not just since Friday, but since you mentioned Mr Haye first, I thought I would respond.

I think he is a Holly Wilaboobie, you like him, I'm cool your opinion differs from mine.

Then we're all happy and the world still turns.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 12:41 pm

The genius of PBF wrote:Yet to see the fight...Was it a robbery?

Nah, I scored it a draw but on the theory you have to 'win' a title versus just 'retaining' it, Bellew didn't do enough. Put in a great performance though and, combined with his post-fight humility, thoroughly changed my opinion of him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

I still think its early to judge clev, the problem is his where are the fights in his division? He is not a top level fighter, but who can he fight and learn from?

The other bloke who is mentioned in a unification bout has only fought 10 times and is a world champion?! He really is a paper champ,

Clev needs a sold couple of years fighting a good level before we can really judge him. With 2 straps around his waist maybe we will find out...

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 17 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

I'm struggling to see this "technical ability" that Bellow showed.
All he showed for me is that he knew how to throw a (average) jab. Other than that, he looked as limited as I thought he would.
Don't get me wrong, I thought he came across well and he's probably a decent bloke.........but I think the fact that Clev struggled with him probably tells you more about Clev than it does about Bellow.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

J.Benson II wrote:I'm struggling to see this "technical ability" that Bellow showed.
All he showed for me is that he knew how to throw a (average) jab. Other than that, he looked as limited as I thought he would.
Don't get me wrong, I thought he came across well and he's probably a decent bloke.........but I think the fact that Clev struggled with him probably tells you more about Clev than it does about Bellow.

Agreed thumbsup

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Mon 17 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

Gotta say I'm slightly concerned that Clev seemed to be getting out jabbed for the first half of the fight by someone not especially known for their technical prowess.

Really do think Bellew would have taken the win if his stamia levels were a bit higher.

Wouldn't put Clev anywhere near the likes of Dawson or even Hopkins at the moment.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 17 Oct 2011, 9:51 pm

Was very pleasantly surprised by Bellew's class in losing. I'd say their dislike before the fight was at least partly genuine, not simply a promotional ploy but whatever the case they seem to have earned each other's respect now. The embrace before the final round was particularly heart-warming.

Wasn't a Bellew fan in advance but now wish him well in his next fight. I think he has the heart to do well and could at least surprise a few people if he boxes like he did against Clev.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 17 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm

I think Bellew had the moral victory and could even sneak a world title in the future or fade into the widerness having now had his biggest show. Surprised at Cleverly's lackadasical work at times and thought he only just won it because of the last round. A draw would not have been unfair to say the least. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

Bellew produced an excellwent performance and proved the naysayers (me included) wrong. I am glad that he proved me wrong and good luck to him in the future, he backed his words with action and showed us skills we didn't know he had. As for dawson he is hugely overrated, neither of those two will beat him but dawson is not as good as everyone makes out. Everytime I watch him he just doesn't impress at all.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:33 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Was very pleasantly surprised by Bellew's class in losing. I'd say their dislike before the fight was at least partly genuine, not simply a promotional ploy but whatever the case they seem to have earned each other's respect now. The embrace before the final round was particularly heart-warming.

Wasn't a Bellew fan in advance but now wish him well in his next fight. I think he has the heart to do well and could at least surprise a few people if he boxes like he did against Clev.

Will echo that, I thought he was a right dope beforehand and wanted the fight over and done with so I wouldn't be seeing take up media space, but am happy to tip my hat and say he came across extremely well post fight. Good luck to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:29 pm

Expected this to be a comfortable win for Cleverly!! Don't especially rate him but after seeing Bellew's previous 2 fights didn't think he'd have a chance in hell of causing an upset!! But man, what a fight!! And for me felt Bellew did the cleaner work, yes he faded late on, but you always thought Clev would get the nod if it was close!! 117-112 by paris was a disgrace!!

But again fairplay to Bellew who must have won over a legion of fans, it will be interesting to see how his career develops!! Cleverly though is still to prove if he belongs at world level, but this was a great for him to evolve from!!

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down