The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 6 shocks

5 posters

Go down

Week 6 shocks Empty Week 6 shocks

Post by Grizzly Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:46 am

Another installment of the weekly surprises provided by our friends at NFL.

4. Steelers 17-13 Jags
No great shock in the Steelers beating the hapless Jags but the fact they allowed the Jags to get back into the game after going in at the half 17-3 ahead will worry Mike Tomlin as will his teams five second half possessions that all ended up with a punt. Equally worrying will be the touchdown drive by Jags that lasted almost 10 mins in the 3rd quarter in which the Steelers allowed two 3rd down conversions and a brain dead personal foul against the kicker when punting on 4th and a mile.
So the shock for me here is lack of Steeler discipline and failure to put away an inferior team who had lost their previous four games by an aggregate 58 points.
After a visit to the desert this weekend the Steelers face a run of games against Pats, Ravens and Bungals before their bye.

3. Pats 20-16 Cowboys
Again, the shock isn't in the result but in the lack of points.
If you'd told me Sunday monring there would be only three TDs in the game I would have asked you in which quarter ? Rob Ryan said his guys had the game to shut Brady down and for 58 mins he was right, but someone should tell him games last 60 mins and whilst the final Brady drive was vintage the ball was moved effortlessly and the pressure Brady had felt all game had disappeared.
Interestingly the Pats have now given up 10 turnovers, errors you just wouldn't associate with a Bill Bellicheat side and would have to be a worry for fans and backers.
As for the Cowboys it's difficult to know where this leaves them - they now sit 2-3 and Romo's head is being called for daily, they're only 2 games back from the Giants which just might be saving him his job at the moment, tough games against Bills, Eagles and Skins all before Thanksgiving could wel determine their season.

2. Buccs 26-20 Saints
So it's the Buccs who claim the crown of inconsistent champions.
After last weeks humiliating drubbing in the Bay they welcomed the much vaunted 4-1 Saints to Ray Jay - no doubt helped by four Saints turnovers including an uncharacteristic three interceptions from Drew Brees who entered this game with an average passer rating of 102.6 through week 5.
Were these errors or can you credit the Buccs defence for reading plays ? Who knows, but it now makes the South a genuine 3 team league and spare a thought for the Panthers who would have to be one of the best 1-5 teams in the leagues history.
Buccs overcame the absence of Blount and found a 'new' hero in Ernest Graham who recorded a 100 yard game.

1. Lions 19-26 Niners
OK I admit I misread the Niners this season, a point which I acknowledged with the ceremonious burning of several betting slips after week 5, but the Lions were hot going into this match up and few could have given the Niners a chance.
In a game that will be best remembered for coaches handshakes and post game interviews the gloss was certainly taken off an outstanding Niners performance.
Niners have realised that Smith won't be winning them any games but if he can manage the ball and the offence then they have a chance, and I mean a serious chance of challenging the big guns of the NFC on this display.
Niners didn't only give up over a field length in penalties but they also gave up two trunovers, but Frank Gore demonstrated why he should be in the elite RB group as he shredded the Lions defence for 141 yards in a 200+ yard rushing display from Niners.
Stafford put up OK numebrs eventually but Megatron was kept largely quiet for much of the game and only picked up a couple of big gains late in the game, the Niners got pressure on Stafford from the off and restricted his time in thd pocket.
Tempers flared after the game though that may partly go back to a Niner challenge of a Lions TD earlier in the game which resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, of course all TDs are reviewed these days so a coaches challenge was either a playground error or antagonistic genius.

Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Week 6 shocks Empty Re: Week 6 shocks

Post by arizona_tom Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Urgh the 49ers aare killing my nfc west bet, but in all seriousness they played really well. For me the o-line while still being questionable in pass block are running the ball excelently. Against a tough run d, this was the key to them putting points on the board.
dont really know what to make of the bucs this year, in the games before today i thought the offence looked really out of sync but things seemed to come together today itl be interesting to see how they progress

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyforger Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Grizzly wrote:

Niners have realised that Smith won't be winning them any games but if he can manage the ball and the offence then they have a chance, and I mean a serious chance of challenging the likes of Pats, Ravens and Chargers in this conference.

I'm confused - surely the 49ers play in a different conference?

Skyforger

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Skyforger wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

Niners have realised that Smith won't be winning them any games but if he can manage the ball and the offence then they have a chance, and I mean a serious chance of challenging the likes of Pats, Ravens and Chargers in this conference.

I'm confused - surely the 49ers play in a different conference?

Of course they do.
I'll amend - cheers

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Good review Grizzly.

You could also add the Packers-Rams in the weird game list.

0 points scored by either team in the 2nd half, the 0-5 team gaining more yards then the 6-0 team (424-399). I was only 1 STL td from not winning my Packers -14.5pt wager...

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:04 pm

I thought of that Moot, but when the favourite covers the handicap it's difficult to say there was anything surprising about the game.
I was definitely surprised the Pack didn't put up more than 24 points but maybe we've just become a little expectant of Rodgers and his 734 receivers...

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Grizzly wrote:I thought of that Moot, but when the favourite covers the handicap it's difficult to say there was anything surprising about the game.
I was definitely surprised the Pack didn't put up more than 24 points but maybe we've just become a little expectant of Rodgers and his 734 receivers...

It was a strange one. First half started shaky gifting the Rams a fair chunk of yardage.
Went into overdrive in the 2nd Quarter and then sat on our laurels. I stopped watching part way through the third quarter and moved to other games, but there was a element of comfort always there. Rams were getting yards but never any points and I don't think the Pack felt under any pressure to do any more.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down