The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRB Player of the Year nominees announced

+21
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
hawalsh
Knowsit17
Mr Bounce
HERSH
funnyExiledScot
KiaRose
kiakahaaotearoa
Glas a du
Comfort
Gunner
LondonTiger
chewed_mintie
asoreleftshoulder
Biltong
disneychilly
Islingtonv2
rodders
Standulstermen
Sin é
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will be IRB International Player of the Year 2011

IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap6%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap6%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap38%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]
IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap13%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap31%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 5 ]
IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_lcap0%IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 16

IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Empty IRB Player of the Year nominees announced

Post by Sin é Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

(IRB) Wednesday 19 October 2011

Piri Weepu has been named to the IRB's Player of the Year shortlist

AUCKLAND, 19 Oct. - The International Rugby Board has announced the shortlist of nominees for the IRB Player of the Year 2011 Award in association with Emirates Airline.

The winner of the prestigious individual accolade will be announced at the IRB Awards ceremony at Vector Arena in Auckland on Monday, 24 October, a day after the Rugby World Cup 2011 champions are crowned.

Four of the nominees are in the Rugby World Cup 2011 Final at Eden Park on Sunday with France captain Thierry Dusautoir joined by the New Zealand trio of scrum half Piri Weepu, flanker Jerome Kaino and centre Ma’a Nonu.

The other two nominees are Australia's flanker David Pocock and scrum half Will Genia, who will both play against Wales in the Bronze Final on Friday. Pocock has been nominated for the second year in a row, having missed out to New Zealand captain Richie McCaw in 2010.

“The IRB Player of the Year Award is the ultimate accolade for a player to receive in his career. It takes on added significance in a Rugby World Cup year and takes into account player performances in all major internationals, including matches in the RBS 6 Nations and Tri Nations,” said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

“The list of past winners of this prestigious award is very impressive and comprises players of the calibre of Schalk Burger, Dan Carter, Jonny Wilkinson, Bryan Habana, Shane Williams and Richie McCaw, the only player to have received the coveted award on more than one occasion.”

The IRB Player of the Year nominees were selected by the IRB Awards independent panel of judges, which is chaired by Australia’s RWC 1999 winning captain John Eales and is made up of former internationals with more than 500 caps and four Rugby World Cup winners’ medals between them.

The IRB Awards panel comprises some of the biggest names in the Game with Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga and Paul Wallace having deliberated on every major Test played in 2011, starting with the opening RBS 6 Nations match and culminating with the RWC Final.

In total the panel have watched more than 100 hours of action, awarding points to the three players they thought stood out in each match. In order to recognise the importance of Rugby World Cup matches in determining the Player of the Year, an additional weighting has been applied to matches in the Tournament.

“This has been one of the closest years to date. In fact the result could be influenced significantly by the next two matches and that’s what it should be like in a World Cup year," said panel chairman Eales.

The IRB Player of the Year is one of 12 Awards that will be presented at the star-studded ceremony at Vector Arena, the others include the IRB Coach of the Year, IRB Team of the Year, IRB Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC, IRB Junior Player of the Year and IRB Women’s Personality of the Year.

Previous winners of the IRB Player of the Year Award:

2010 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2009 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2008 – Shane Williams (Wales)
2007 – Bryan Habana (South Africa)
2006 – Richie McCaw (New Zealand)
2005 – Dan Carter (New Zealand)
2004 – Schalk Burger (South Africa)
2003 – Jonny Wilkinson (England)
2002 – Fabien Galthié (France)
2001 – Keith Wood (Ireland)

IRB

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2059599.html#irb+player+year+nominees+announced

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a poll)
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Empty Re: IRB Player of the Year nominees announced

Post by Standulstermen Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

Kaino

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

IRB Player of the Year nominees announced Empty Re: IRB Player of the Year nominees announced

Post by rodders Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

Kaino would be a good shout but I think Nonu or Pocock will win.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:18 am

kaino has been the most consistent for me.

Nonu being there just shows how idiotic Mark Hammett is. Pocock has been exceptional too. He would be number 2 on that list for me.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:27 am

Nonu for me. O'Brien can count himself unlucky to not be on the longlist though.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

Islingtonv2 wrote: O'Brien can count himself unlucky to not be on the longlist though.

Yeah I though so too but I don't think club competitions are taken into account otherwise I'm sure he would be there.

Warburton is unfortunate too and perhaps Jamie Roberts but maybe his upturn in form has come too late.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

I'd go for Kaino, especially if he wins the world cup, he has been awesome for the All Blacks for the past 2 seasons

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

Kaino for me too. Look at the NZ team in Brisbane when he was on paternity leave. That physical presence is just massive and a key platform for the All Blacks to launch their attack from.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:37 am

It is a shame referees don't qualify as the 16th player. There are some strong candidates this year.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

Lol the whinging is still going on.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:50 am

sorry. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:55 am

Kaino would be a great shout. However Nonu has been the best midfielder in the world since 2009 now, he’ll probably get it. Genia and Pocock would come close too I feel. In fact, they’d all be worthy winners in my humble opinion, even Dusatoir for although his team are madder than 15 King Georges, he’s a bloody hard worker and led France to a Grand Slam...and WC final

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:56 am

More to the point who is going to be the Player of the WC, traditionally only comes from a team playing in the Final.

So….that pretty much rules out the French unless they can win it! They’ve not really had any standout players though.

Kaino? Weepu? Dagg? Thorn? Nonu?

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm

Surely it would be a New Zealander?

Bruce Lawrence.

Oh sorry no referees. Doh

Dagg.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

biltongbek wrote:Bruce Lawrence

so not only is he the son of a former ref, he also had a brother reffing in the WC too? Let's hope he's better than Bryce!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:30 pm

No man, Bryce secretly wants to be australian. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Bruce Lawrence

so not only is he the son of a former ref, he also had a brother reffing in the WC too? Let's hope he's better than Bryce!

Surely Bruce is Bryce's aussie cousin?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:34 pm

Crikey the Lawrences are taking over the refereeing world, next is Britz Lawrence, from your corner of the world Biltong!

Just like the coming of the anti-christ, you should immediately drown him at birth!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:39 pm

Any kid here named Bruce, Bryce or anything closely resembling that is sent away immediately, we don't drown kids, that is against the law.

We send them to a penal colony. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:42 pm

Back to the shortlist.

I know Dusatoir is just the token NH representative but WTF? He is an excellent player, but a long way from being the best European player of the last 12 months.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:44 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Back to the shortlist.

I know Dusatoir is just the token NH representative but WTF? He is an excellent player, but a long way from being the best European player of the last 12 months.

Agree LT. I think the shortlist should be expanded to 10 and limited to 2 max per country. Sean O'Brien should have been nominated, Sam Warburton defo too

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:50 pm

Its gotta be Kaino.
If it is would he be the first to win both Junior and then IRB Senior player?
He's got a massive workrate.
His try saving tackle on Ioane in semi was something special.

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Oct 2011, 12:54 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:even Dusatoir for although his team are madder than 15 King Georges, he’s a bloody hard worker and led France to a Grand Slam...and WC final

The GS wasn't this season though.

I don't think Dusitoir should be there. He's a great player but he hasn't been that great by his own standards this season and for me O'Brien and Warburton have been better.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:07 pm

Nobody was really lauding Warburton or SOB on the back of their 6N performances were they? Dusatoir was quiet too but he has had (individually) an outstanding world cup and his recognition is well deserved in leading an otherwise leaderless/coachless team to the RWC final.

Add that to the fact his own performances have been exemplary as has his conduct and i think he is well worth it. Club performances do not count which is why SOB isnt there.

kaino for me has been the most consistently brilliant player at the RWC and beyond. He is superb.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:14 pm

I think the token NH pick is debatable, but obviously some upturns in form came too late. I think any of the following could have been named and I wouldnt have blinked.

SOB/O'Connell
Warburton/Roberts
Foden
Clerc/Rougerie/Dusatoir

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

Throw Ferris in there then. Arguably Irelands best player at the RWC and in the AI's. Just a shame he played next to zero rugby in between.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:28 pm

Dusatoir. No doubt. music don't speak, I know what...music
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Oct 2011, 1:36 pm

SOB playing out of position at 7 clearly didn't help.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:00 pm

Got no problem with Pocock. Can´t understand how Piri got nominated. Maybe it´s for how he leads the haka.

Kaino and Nonu are two similar giant players who have given a lot to the black shirt. Very difficult to separate them. So Weepu it is then...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:06 pm

personally I'd give it to one of Kaino/Pocock/Nonu.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

A few years ago (2009) when every Irish fan expected BOd to win, I saw an explanation of how the winner was arrived at (I think it was on Sky, but can't remember).

The original post mentions the panel of judges watching all the internationals played in 2011. This they do and then give marks to the most influential players in that game in their opinion (they can give these to more than one player, it is not just a case of picking their MOTM). These are totted up and bingo you have a winner. Therefore, club games are excluded, hence why SOB would not feature also, why Ferris who played significantly fewer internationals this year is not there; also Warburton who has been developing this season, but was not as influential at the beginning as at the end and so on.

It rewards consistency over the whole year. This really means to be in with a shout, a player has to remain uninjured, be picked for their team regularly and play his heart and soul out in every game.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

Agree with the majority of posters on here - Kaino deserves it.

Genia was superb in the Tri-Nations, but for consistency, I don't think Kaino has had a bad game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:26 pm

Should have been Ashton for the greatest try ever scored Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

HERSH wrote:Should have been Ashton for the greatest try ever scored Very Happy

Wouldn't he deserve it more for his bungy jumping and midget throwing exploits?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:37 pm

Wouldn't that be Tindall?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

Tindall didn't bungy jump, and although he was at the midget throwing contest he couldn't even judge let alone participate as he had his face buried in a pair of jugs that actually weren't for sale in the bar.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

Trust Ashton to do the bungee jumping. Improving that swallow dive was no doubt his reason for doing so.

It surprises me Kaino a few seasons ago was the so-called weak link in the backrow trio. It´s been pleasing for me to see him step up his leadership and performance in recent times. He was always the enforcer in close but he´s brought on his running game and now gets valuable yards taking up the ball as well as hammering people and forcing turnovers.

As early as this year people were writing Nonu off and wanting SBW in the team based on the s15 season. Just goes to show test rugby is a step up from club rugby and some players who stand out in club rugby don´t always make that step up to test rugby. Nonu was a player who learnt the subtlety of his art and became more than a crash merchant and added a beautiful passing game and even a kicking game to his bow.

Got a lot of time for Pocock as a fetcher but I don´t think his all-round game is there quite yet. Or at least he still can be a better player which is frightening as I rate him highly.

So out of that list and based on the criteria mentioned in another post, I think Kaino adds value and impact as well as consistency every time he has played.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

Did Tindall score? Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

Not on camera at any rate. Certainly don´t think Mrs Equestrian is a good score for that matter but different horses for courses. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

For me it has to be Kaino - he's been excellent whenever I've seen him this year thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 19 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
As early as this year people were writing Nonu off and wanting SBW in the team based on the s15 season. Just goes to show test rugby is a step up from club rugby and some players who stand out in club rugby don´t always make that step up to test rugby.

Nonu has really stepped up to the plate for NZ. He's playing the best rugby of his career.

In fairness to SBW I think he's been pretty awesome and has had a big impact everytime I've seen him play for the AB's. I wouldn't say he hasn't made the step up but that Nonu/Smith combo is pretty hard to beat.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

A farce to have Dusautoir in there imo. A good player obviously but how can anyone say he's starred more for his country than Warburton and O'Brien have for theirs (club too in O'Brien's case) ?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Wed 19 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

chewed_mintie wrote:Nonu has been the best midfielder in the world since 2009 now

He does more headline stuff, but Conrad Smith has without doubt been the best centre in the world for more than a few years.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 19 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

If its true that the matches this week could clinch it I think weepu and genia will drop put and nonu kaino and pocock- all currently at peak- will fight it out.
Pocock has been immense. Kaino also and all year nonu has been consistently high...finally.
Ulstermans right. If nonu wins it hammet will look like the biggest idiot this side of mars.

Imagine turfing the worlds best rated player into the street in the middle of the year he won it. Hows that for confidence in the new canes coaches abilities and intelligence.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm

Taylorman wrote:If nonu wins it hammet will look like the biggest idiot this side of mars.

And we shall purge ourselves of this dirty heathen, banished for all of time to whence he came

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

Tana did pretty good to get two Hurricanes players on there.

For mine I'd prefered to see Brad Thorn there instead of Piri.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:04 am

I don`t know who will win it,IF the All Blacks do then Ma`a Nonu would be a
very deserving one.He has improved his game so much over the years.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:59 am

thumbsup +1

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:48 am

LondonTiger wrote:Back to the shortlist.

Now that France are in the final, it would be very unlike the IRB to not nominate a French player. In a World Cup year the IRB player of the year is essentially player of the tournament and I can never remember a tournament when both finalists weren't represented on the shortlist.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:50 am

KiaRose wrote:A few years ago (2009) when every Irish fan expected BOd to win, I saw an explanation of how the winner was arrived at (I think it was on Sky, but can't remember).

The original post mentions the panel of judges watching all the internationals played in 2011. This they do and then give marks to the most influential players in that game in their opinion (they can give these to more than one player, it is not just a case of picking their MOTM). These are totted up and bingo you have a winner. Therefore, club games are excluded, hence why SOB would not feature also, why Ferris who played significantly fewer internationals this year is not there; also Warburton who has been developing this season, but was not as influential at the beginning as at the end and so on.

It rewards consistency over the whole year. This really means to be in with a shout, a player has to remain uninjured, be picked for their team regularly and play his heart and soul out in every game.

I simply do not believe this is the selection criteria in a RWC year. I don't trust em!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next