The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated.

5 posters

Go down

Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated. Empty Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated.

Post by Noel Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 7:23

I'm just about to purchase as an early christmas present an electric trolley. Spoke to guy I deal with in AG,Steve, and basically the choice seems to be powakaddy freeway or sport. First, can people please let me know what is the best version,bearing in mind the coost of each (sport £100 quid more - £299 and £399 respectively). Other choice is lead battery or lithium battery - massive £200 extra. Again, advice much appreciated from anyone who can say what their experience is and pro/cons of each.
p.s. let's hope Lukey boy pulls it off. Good to see nice fellah doing well compared to the usual bratty sportsman!

Noel

Back to top Go down

Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated. Empty Re: Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated.

Post by drive4show Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 7:47

Hi Noel

I've got a Powakaddy Classic, the one that breaks down into 3 separate bits. Can't speak for the models you mention but can recommend Powakaddy as a brand. As far as I can see, the only thing to be gained from the lithium battery is weight saving and possibly a longer battery life. If you are fit and able with no issues lifting the battery in and out of the car and house, I'd go for the standard battery.

Have you also considered Motocaddy's? They are also top quality.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated. Empty Re: Electric trolley and lithium or lead type battery. Advice needed and appreciated.

Post by super_realist Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 7:53

Noel, I've had a Powakaddy Freeway Digital for a few years with a 36 hole standard lead battery. I must have charged the battery hundreds of times by now and it is still going strong. The trolley has never let me down, just needed tightening up a bit, a bit of greasing here and there and a couple of new tyres as they have cracked over time and looked like James Bonds DB5 wheel shredder had been at it. Can heartily recommend them.

There's been a bit of bad press about the new Freeway 2, but I suspect these issues may have been sorted by now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Noel Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 8:14

d4sand s_r,
Thanks to both of you for replies.
I've heard mixed views on motocaddy. As always unless one gives it a try one will never know. Will defo do some research on motocaddy before hand dough over.
Seems very little advantage in lithium over lead batt, when compared with such massive difference in price, so likely better to spend money on something else.
I have hybrid in place of 3 iron and mulling over whether to spend it on another in place of 4 iron. Don't need 2 iron as don't play links that often although did play Wallasey last week (for 2nd time recently) but quite benign conditions.Interesting as Stableford said to have been devised there.

Last edited by Noel on Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 8:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't distinguish 3 and 4)

Noel

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 19:18

There's a massive difference in types of battery and of course costs. Mrs Doc and I have the same trolley's but I have a 36-hole lithium and the wife has a 36-hole standard battery. The standard battery is massive and heavy, whereas my lithium is small compact and very light (If I was a good guy I'd let her have the expensive one)

Lithium batteries are brilliant, but 18-hole will suffice no problem, a standard 18-hole is ok but still huge and heavy in comparison. I've seen plenty of problems with standard 18-hole in winter conditions. Cold makes them lose a bit of power, and wet, heavy conditions with hopper type wheels means they are working harder, which could mean that you end up pushing for the last couple of holes ...

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:35

I have had a HillBilly Compact for severals years & are also excellent.

Their service dept are excellent & respond to your needs very quickly.

I changed over to a HillBilly Terrain & this model is also excellent.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 21 Oct 2011 - 20:57

I believe that Powakaddy now own Hillbilly so you are getting Powakaddy levels of quality and service.

Bit like buying a Skoda and saying you have an entry level Audi Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 2:28

The service I received was pre-Powakaddy takeover.

I have had no problems with my HillBilly Terrain.

So cannot comment on Powakaddy service levels or quality. guinness
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down