The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ole Ole Ole!!

+8
oldparwin
super_realist
kwinigolfer
Sand
Diggers
mystiroakey
Maverick
JAS
12 posters

Go down

Ole Ole Ole!! Empty Ole Ole Ole!!

Post by JAS Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

Ok I know it was on his home course but an 11 (yes eleven) shot win is a very big "I'M BACK" statement. What is the general consensus about what Sergio can look forward to next year.
a) Consolidate top 50
b) Sneak into top 10 with a win or 2
c) Top 5 and a major
d) WN1

Or something in between, what do we think?

Last edited by JAS on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Ole Ole Ole!! Empty Re: Ole Ole Ole!!

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:35 pm

With his ball striking and long game the top 10 is well within reach.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

Yep I think he's destined for a return to the top 10 Mav and there's no reason why he shouldn't contend in majors too.

We all know his achilles heel has been his putting but 27 birdies and 2 eagles suggest that his putting demons must at the very least be very dormant at the moment. If confidence in his putter is maintained then I think big things await him.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:05 pm

yep good performance- he was funny to watch on the course mind, it was like he was taking control of the whole event.

his putting was much improved- he seems to love his scissorhands grip

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:06 pm

id say b- i cant see him getting a major- but then you never know.

probally top 20 and a win or two actually

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

Who knows, obviously knows these greens inside out. I dint think it takes much to ruin the confidence in his putting and then the rest of his game suffers.
That said clearly been top 10 for most of his career so can clearly do it again if he keeps the demons away.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

Its all very well saying he knows the greens but youve still got to put a good stroke on it and make sure you set it off online in the first place.

His putting was just fantastic this week and looks so comfortable with his new technique. Touch wood but think thats his putting problems sorted.

Great performance especially when he has a lot more on his mind as hes hosting the event.

Will think he will get back to least top 10.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:58 pm

b).
Sergio Scissorhands? Like that name!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:02 pm

Personally I don't think he will ever get over his demons, he's putted just about as badly as any pro I've ever seen in the past few years. Not to say he won't have weeks of brilliance, but I just dont really think he is mentally strong enough to get over it quickly if he starts putting poorly again, which I think at some stage he will.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

If Sergio's putting was half as good as his ball striking he'd probably have won 3 or 4 majors by now, perhaps even more, as there is no one close to him in that department.

Is he back?, well one swallow doesn't make a summer but he's had some encouraging results lately so it certainly looks promising for him right now, and just in time for gaining Ryder Cup points.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 23 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

Think the difference is that hes happy again on the course. He mentioned the support he got from his family and his girlfriend during his poor years during his interview at the end.

Wouldnt be surprised if he won again this year.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

I would say, he is the best player around, that has never won a major, I would back him winning one before Donald or Westwood.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 23 Oct 2011, 7:51 pm

Before Westwood but after Donald (perhaps)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Westwood will not win a major in his career, Sergio though has every chance wih a bit of confidence he is simply superb

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

It's a good win but personally I don't see that his first win in 3 years in a not exactly stellar field on what is pretty much his home track suddenly puts him ahead of the world number one in the race to win a major.
He didn't manage when he was winning big events in the States but now we should back him ahead of a couple of the worlds best. Pretty flawed logic IMO.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

Maybe not the best or strongest event hes ever won but incase you never noticed he won by 11?! There was still a lot of good players he had to beat.

People are saying hes got a real chance with a major as everyone knows how good he is, and its always his putting that lets him down.

Hes always had problems with his putting but for the moment it looks sorted. I see the argument that its home course so helped but he still had to hole the putts after reading them. His putting has been constantly getting better I read yesterday he had 20 putts at the bmw about a month ago.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

Maverick wrote:Westwood will not win a major in his career, Sergio though has every chance wih a bit of confidence he is simply superb

what draws you to that conclusion- because for my money westwood has the best long game out there, sergios is good granted by westwoods is something else, both have the putting problems, ytet westwood can still maintain a top 2 in the world even with that, the only part of the game that i would perhaps put sergio above westy is his chipping. but we all know and have seen him chip magnificantly- but the fact is even when he doesnt he hits more greens than anyone!

both have a shot- but westy has the much better chance. problem for both is that they are running out of time, and if tiger does get back involved there is also donald, simpson, johnson, mcilroy to cope with- and the million and one other players that are climbing up there(as i talk donald holes his 6th straight birdie )

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Maverick wrote:Westwood will not win a major in his career, Sergio though has every chance wih a bit of confidence he is simply superb

what draws you to that conclusion- because for my money westwood has the best long game out there, sergios is good granted by westwoods is something else, both have the putting problems, ytet westwood can still maintain a top 2 in the world even with that, the only part of the game that i would perhaps put sergio above westy is his chipping. but we all know and have seen him chip magnificantly- but the fact is even when he doesnt he hits more greens than anyone!

both have a shot- but westy has the much better chance. problem for both is that they are running out of time, and if tiger does get back involved there is also donald, simpson, johnson, mcilroy to cope with- and the million and one other players that are climbing up there(as i talk donald holes his 6th straight birdie )

Garcia's long game is just as good as Westwood although id say Westwoods driving is better. How are they running out of time? Westwood is only 38 and Sergio is 31??

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:28 pm

So that means he should be backed ahead of the current world number one who is currently tearing up the track in the States in a real pressure event with a lot at stake?
Of course Garcia might win a major, any of the top 50 could right now , my point is Donald should be logically a much better bet. I don't really see how anyone can reasonably argue that point based on consistent form.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

Sand wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Garcia's long game is just as good as Westwood although id say Westwoods driving is better. How are they running out of time? Westwood is only 38 and Sergio is 31??

well the clock is still ticking

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

if anyone is gonna back sergio over donald then time to watch whats going on today when it really does matter. serigio did very well and i admit that and he has a chance in getting back to the top of the game- but it was like a practice session for him in a very weak field

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

I can say that because it's my belief that Westwod will not win a major, i'm also willing to say having seen both guys play up close that Sergios long game is a long better than Westwoods, also you see, to be forgetting Westwood maybe current no2 but he drop outside of the worlds top 200 due to his whole game having issues, whereas Garcia remained in the top 90 at the height of his problems.

Garcia has also more experience of playing US courses where 3 of the majors are played, he also has the fact he's won a massive event such as the Players to draw on for experience where westwood does not. Westwoods wedge play and chipping are not even in he sae league as Sergios another area massively needed for a Major.

Much rather have had the tournament wins and career Sergio has till now than Westwoods and he has 7 years on him to......

Donald is by far the best bet for a major but as I say Sergio is way up above Westwood in the stakes IMO

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

Maverick wrote:I can say that because it's my belief that Westwod will not win a major, i'm also willing to say having seen both guys play up close that Sergios long game is a long better than Westwoods, also you see, to be forgetting Westwood maybe current no2 but he drop outside of the worlds top 200 due to his whole game having issues, whereas Garcia remained in the top 90 at the height of his problems.

Garcia has also more experience of playing US courses where 3 of the majors are played, he also has the fact he's won a massive event such as the Players to draw on for experience where westwood does not. Westwoods wedge play and chipping are not even in he sae league as Sergios another area massively needed for a Major.

Much rather have had the tournament wins and career Sergio has till now than Westwoods and he has 7 years on him to......

Donald is by far the best bet for a major but as I say Sergio is way up above Westwood in the stakes IMO

visual ball striking and having a good long game(effectve distance control ball striking) are two very different things. I have seen both plenty of times and i agree that sergio has a wow factor, but to suggest his long game is better than westys.. ermmm

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

As I said its my opinion and if Westys is so much better how come his drop in the world rankings was so much more severe than El Nino's! Sergio at the height of his demons has not neen outside the top 90 and thats thanks to a solid long game, besides it's not the best ball strikers that always win tournaments just look at harrington he has 3 majors and again rather have Sergios win ratio than Westys so if thats what being an inferior ball striker than west is I know what i'd take

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm

thats fine you can have your opinion, i cant really understand why this is an argument- i dont neccesarily prefer any player and i like sergio.

but he has only won 22 events to westys 35 , he was world no.4 before his problems (i am not sure what it was but i think he kids as well and had a break) he then had the bottle to get back to no.1 after going so far out the rankings!!

i dont really understand how your points against westy and for serigio work.

you can have your own opinion- but stats are not gonna help your opinions out, there seem to go westys way.

i dont know if you have an issue with westwood or not, but i dont with sergio, and i hope westwood especially wins a couple because he deserves it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

I think Westwods ship has sailed personally, but I'd still have him well ahead of Garcia until Garcia proves he really is back and competitive on a regular basis on tough fields.
It's really irrelevant how well Garcia hits the ball if he starts struggling with his putter again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

Diggers wrote:It's a good win but personally I don't see that his first win in 3 years in a not exactly stellar field on what is pretty much his home track suddenly puts him ahead of the world number one in the race to win a major.
He didn't manage when he was winning big events in the States but now we should back him ahead of a couple of the worlds best. Pretty flawed logic IMO.

Yet, I presume you would have wet your pants had Woods won in an even weaker field the other week. Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 8:54 pm

mystiroakey wrote:thats fine you can have your opinion, i cant really understand why this is an argument- i dont neccesarily prefer any player and i like sergio.

but he has only won 22 events to westys 35 , he was world no.4 before his problems (i am not sure what it was but i think he kids as well and had a break) he then had the bottle to get back to no.1 after going so far out the rankings!!

i dont really understand how your points against westy and for serigio work.

you can have your own opinion- but stats are not gonna help your opinions out, there seem to go westys way.

i dont know if you have an issue with westwood or not, but i dont with sergio, and i hope westwood especially wins a couple because he deserves it!

Yes Sergio has less wins but many in better events and tougher fields. Westy has done very well to return to where he is now. I''m also not saying I dont want him to win one, I'd just prefer Sergio did. Also his career has been longer than Sergios the only time they can be prepared is when they retire.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

Super, there you go again. I seriously think you fancy Wiods mate, you are obsessed. If Garcia had won 14 majors in the past rather than none you might have a point. Garcia mark one couldn't do it and yet Garcia mark two should be favoured to so ahead of Donald?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:02 pm

I think what has stopped sergio winning a lot more including a few majors has been his putting, if he can sort out the short stick and putt the way he has been, then my money would be on him before Donald

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

I'm not so sure OP, the way that Donald is currently decimating the field under pressure is very impressive. Has he stepped up yet another level?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:09 pm

oldparwin wrote:I think what has stopped sergio winning a lot more including a few majors has been his putting, if he can sort out the short stick and putt the way he has been, then my money would be on him before Donald

ermm you see the point here is that - what are you trying to say- that if garcia had donalds putting game you would put him ahead , well the truth is he is the best putter on tour thats one of his biggest strengths, or are you saying give sergiuo an average putting game. fact is for my money- give westy an average putting game and he would also be well up there as wello- but the truth is westy or sergio well never have donalds putting game.

donald is the main man right now- sergio is behind and will never ever have his putting game, although he could still win a few no doubts.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:10 pm

Regarding Donald I think this tournament has done something for his confidence or as KEizo would put it his arrogance! but the rest of us see it as what it is confidence.

It is proving to himself that when in a real pressure situation he can trust his game attack and go low. As for Webb seems the inability to trust himself instead relying on god has put paid to his chances when all he need to do was keep it going...

Luke just found he has another gear and is putting th throttle down

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:13 pm

Like I've just said on another thread, it really is exciting times for European golf especially if Sergio gets right back into the top 10 mix.

The only downside of this weekend is...the world number fifty something will look at Sergio's resurgence and think..."well I haven't fell as far as he did and look at him banish his demons and dark days and come back....if he can...so can i"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

JAS wrote:Like I've just said on another thread, it really is exciting times for European golf especially if Sergio gets right back into the top 10 mix.

The only downside of this weekend is...the world number fifty something will look at Sergio's resurgence and think..."well I haven't fell as far as he did and look at him banish his demons and dark days and come back....if he can...so can i"

Big difference is though JAS Sergio has not had to rebuild his long game as Woods has,

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:17 pm

jas many pros see them self (and we see them) as just pros, sergio is a top player- ranking aside, just like woods, just like westy was

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon 24 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

maverick- I would agree with you on Sergio's long game v that of Westwood, it is better, and not only that but it is more versatile as he can hit a greater variety of shots.

Great to Sergio with a smile on his face and looking confident on the greens, for the last few years I had to turn my head away whenever I saw him taking a four footer! We all know it's his achilles heel and it will be interesting to see how it holds up under pressure should he manage to get himself in the mix in a major next year. I think he'll seriously contend for a major next year at some point over the weekend and if his putter can be nice he may just pull it off, but that will be the big test, under pressure. I thikn he'll get back towards the top ten and I predict he'll qualify for and be a key part of the Ryder Cup, he's one of our best playing on American soil.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

"maverick- I would agree with you on Sergio's long game v that of Westwood, it is better"

explain how?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

I think in 2009 and 2010 its fair to say most people would have picked Westwood as the best driver of a golf ball for that period. Not so much this year.
His swing is not a thing of beauty, looks quite contrived and robotic to me, but when its working its very very good.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:26 pm

If we could look into a crystal ball to the year 2020 My money would be on Garcia have more major trophies than Donald or Westwood, would also be interesting to see how many Woods had by then, as well

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"maverick- I would agree with you on Sergio's long game v that of Westwood, it is better"

explain how?

It's quite simple- for the last 7-8 years Garcia has consistently featured in the top few on the US tour's combined driving (which accumulates driving accuracy and distance), as well he has consistently finished high in GIR. Garcia's long game has been consistently at the very upper end of the world game for pretty much his whole pro career, that cannot be brought into question. V Westwood- his long game is superior because it contains more variety and imagination against a very one dimensional Westwood who sees one type of shot. I am not exactly saying Westwood has a poor long game, quite the opposite, it is exemplary, however I do feel Garcia has the esge in this department.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:21 pm

Sergio to win a MAJOR next year.

Go Sergio.
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:31 pm

Ok we shall see, sergio certainly can hit the ball and allways seems to have great gur stats.

i think the main reason why i feel as though westwoods long game is better, is during recent majors. (even in this years open he had the best gur out of anyone in two days!! yet still missed the cut!!) and in the recent majors when he finished top 15 in 9 out of the last 11 his long game again was second to none.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Gur?, ground under repair? I think you mean gir

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:35 pm

lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

jeassus i was wondering why google was a bit vague.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 24 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

Wouldn't it be hilarious if all of the majors next year were won by veteran "best players never to have won a major"...

Garcia, Westwood, Donald...

... and Monty?!?

OK, maybe we'll let Stricker have one if he agrees to belatedly answer all of our questions via Mr Maverick...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

i dont know about hillarious- but i think id be very happy.

it could be on. i think alot of the field are gonna actually feel the heat of donald for once!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 24 Oct 2011, 8:11 pm

Monty winning would be pretty hilarious - in a Whitehall farce kind of way

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: