The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a sad day of news for the GAA.

+2
Irish Curry
Cari
6 posters

Go down

What a sad day of news for the GAA. Empty What a sad day of news for the GAA.

Post by Cari Tue 25 Oct 2011, 9:26 am

Some very sad stories about a couple of GAA players today. Kerry player Brendan O'Driscoll is seriously ill in hospital after collapsing during a club match suffering from what is believed to have been a brain haemorrhage.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gaa-player-fights-for-life-after-collapsing-during-club-match-2915299.html

I really hope he makes a full recovery.

The body of Gda Ciaran Jones was found this morning. He died after being swept away in flood water whilst trying to help other motorists last night. Ciaran played football for Manor Kilbride and Wicklow county seniors.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tragedy-of-hero-garda-who-lost-his-life-saving-others-2915561.html

Last edited by Cari on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Cari

Back to top Go down

What a sad day of news for the GAA. Empty Re: What a sad day of news for the GAA.

Post by Irish Curry Tue 25 Oct 2011, 4:16 pm

Crying or Very sad very sad news, I hope you get well soon Brendan

RIP Ciaran Jones rose
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

What a sad day of news for the GAA. Empty Re: What a sad day of news for the GAA.

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 9:07 am

Sadly Brendan O'Driscoll has passed away. rose

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kerry-gaa-player-dies-days-after-collapsing-on-pitch-2917787.html

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by akaredtop Thu 27 Oct 2011, 12:53 pm

Very sad. RIP Brendan! Is there any way of preventing these events from happening? Would a medical screening have shown this potential problem up.

akaredtop

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Thu 27 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

Not really adare, this could have happened at anytime. It just so happens that he was on a playing field. It's very sad. I believe that his parents were abroad at the time and have made their way home. Same for Ciaran Jones, off duty at the time. Saw the scene on the news and the bridge he was swept from. Jesus the water had risen several metres and he was washed right off and away.

What's happening with the young Fermanagh footballer who was injured/assaulted in the US over the summer. He seems to have dropped out of the news. Last I read, he was coming out of his coma. Sincerely hopes he makes a full recovery.

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:47 pm

RIP Breandan rose

Is it me or is this kind of thing happening more often in sport? Or has this always been happening?
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:05 pm

rose RIP Ciaran & Brendan.

bluemoda wrote:What's happening with the young Fermanagh footballer who was injured/assaulted in the US over the summer. He seems to have dropped out of the news. Last I read, he was coming out of his coma. Sincerely hopes he makes a full recovery.

That was a tragedy there moda. He did come out of his coma but I don't think they've yet found out the full extent of his brain injury. Worse news still is that the player involved in the incident only got a 96 week ban and his family now faces a bill of over $1 million.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

Oh really Warrior? That's awful for them. Crying or Very sad

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluemoda Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:03 am

96 week ban only. Is he facing criminal charges? He ought to. What particularly saddened me about all this is that someone apparently was videoing that game. I don't know if they ever came forward, or if they did, they took their time. Same goes for all the spectators. There was something very sinister about the collective silence.

I can see the appeal of young lads going to play in the US over the summer months, but surely the powers that be, either HQ itself or the US clubs provide full medical insurance. Even with the best will in the world, how the hell does one raise a million euros?

bluemoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaelic-Warrior Fri 28 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

Unfortunately I don't think the guy is getting charged, some bollux to do with lack of decesive evidence or something to that effect (Flip knows how they came to that). Healthcare provision is one of the major flaws in US society but I think the GAA have came up with some sort of insurance deal with US clubs. Terrible way for this ordeal to turn out in that respect, hopefully he and his family can recover and get back to normality as soon as.
Gaelic-Warrior
Gaelic-Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ar aghaidh le cheile Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

BBC norn Ireland news did a feature on the youngster a couple of weeks ago and i think its still on their gaelic games part.

While we all enjoy what is a mans game this type of thuggery is plays no part of the game. Somebody already said they didnt understand why nobody came forward. This type of loyalty if that is what it is supposed to be is a spot on the character of the association and all who attended the game.
Unfortunately its not a totally isolated incident.

Ar aghaidh le cheile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down