The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alcohol Thread

+17
Steffan
6oldenbhoy
Sugar Boy Sweetie
bellchees
Strongback
coxy0001
Union Cane
TopHat24/7
sodhat
Rowley
Scottrf
Michaels, Sean
Mind the windows Tino.
trottb
Fists of Fury
Il Gialloblu
AlexHuckerby
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Alcohol Thread Empty Alcohol Thread

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 am

Someone said we needed one...

Personally not a huge drinker myself. In fact very rarely drunk, however when I drink I prefer things such as Southern Comfort with Lemonade or Coke. Not really tried that much stuff myself just don't really find being intoxicated is all what it's made out to be personally. Call me a square but I'm not alcohols biggest fan. However it's gotten me into a few more beds than I wouldn't usually so ah well eh...

What do you like to drink?
What occassions, what drink?
Then we can rip each other for being girly or so overtly macho that you are clearly just compensating for the fact that deep down you've always been bi-curious. (Don't worry Sean your secrets safe over here)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alcohol Thread Empty Re: Alcohol Thread

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:13 am

I have similar taste in beer to what I have in women:

Asian.

Singha isn't bad but I always preferred Leo (a beer, not a ladyboy) when in Thailand. Chang was avoided.

Beerlao is in my P4P top 3 without doubt, as is a little known brew from Mongolia called Sengur.

Tsing Tao isn't bad although most other Chinese beer is pretty bad.

I know that all of these would be classed as lager in England and the CAMRA members will pour scorn on me, but these are much easier to drink when the temperature is 30 and over so 'dark beer' isn't half as popular over here.

Never really been a spirits man either, especially the 55% rice whisky they get hammered with here. That stuff is vile. If you ever come to China and get offered 'white wine', don't expect it to be Sauvignon blanc. thumbsup

p.s. nearly forgot... there is a bar selling imported Belgian beers where I live too. From what I've tried, Duvel is the best of those.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 am

I'll have to keep an eye out for those if I'm in those parts of the world, Il Gialloblu.

Shamensko is a Bulgarian lager that I enjoy when I'm over there.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:31 am

Budweiser Budvar is another great lager.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
when I drink I prefer things such as Southern Comfort with Lemonade or Coke.

Jeez, Alex. In a strange way, I admire your courage. You admit to working in HR, you write an Adrian Mole post about your broken heart and now you fess up to drinking Southern Comfort. And you have the cheek to call me Tina.

As for the question, red wine, and copious amounts of it at the weekend. I like a nice beer as much as the next person but reading Scotty's posts yesterday, he is clearly our resident expert on the matter so I will leave that one to him.

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am

Being from Bristol also a massive fan of cider, there's one called pheasant plucker, which gets increasingly hard to say after a few, that is awesome. If you ever get a chance try a pint.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 am

Not really fussy myself. Generally make a decsion based on price. Key is to always look at the price per litre as opposed to the head turning deals.

Aldi do a cider called Taurus. It's 4 x cans for £2.09 which equates to 84p per litre. I don't think that can be beaten (down south) at the moment unless you drink out of 2/3 litre plastic bottles.

Thinking of setting up my own micro brewery at the moment. I reckon I get through about 30 - 40 pints a week so it would be much more cost efficient even over the short term.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 am

Good alcohol has never come from Aldi!

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am

trottb wrote:Good alcohol has never come from Aldi!

In all seriousness you're wrong. They have a good wine selection, plenty of bottled real ales and an array of lagers from all parts. Taurus is their budget drink for Alchies. It is fine as long as you brush your teeth regularly and don't mind the occasional stomach cramp.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:59 am

My favourite beers (rough order):

Fullers 1945
Chimay White
Brewdog 5am Saint
Maredsous 6
Duvel
Leffe Blonde
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Goose Island IPA
Fullers ESB
Brewdog Punk IPA

Rum: Brugal Extra Viejo

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 am

I'm a big fan of Mount Gay rum, cue jokes...

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 am

I've had Mount Gay, not really a style I like, almost like a Havana Club Extra Viejo if I remember right? Prefer the Havana 7.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:06 am

Drink pretty much exclusively Guinness and only do it when I am out. Can hold my ale though.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am

Had a monstrous hangover after drinking Havana Club in the South of France over the summer. A real humdinger and I very rarely get them.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah very similar, I had a great rum not too long back. It was from Venezula, but I brought it in an airport in Egypt, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

Tina/Michaels, where do you tend to get your wines from?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am

Scottrf wrote:My favourite beers (rough order):

Fullers 1945
Chimay White
Brewdog 5am Saint
Maredsous 6
Duvel
Leffe Blonde

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Goose Island IPA
Fullers ESB
Brewdog Punk IPA

Excellent taste my friend, and Duvel is a particularly excellent drink. I prefer Chimay Red of the range though.

Newcastle Brown is another favourite of mine, but it seems to make people aggressive. A friend of mine punched a hole in his kitchen wall after a few of them.

As for lager I can more or less chop and change and they all seem to be the same to me...at the moment given the choice I'd go for a Heineken.

There's also a beer called Brooklyn that I'm pretty into at the moment, an acquired taste, very malty, but I can't get enough of it right now.

Non-beer wise I'd take a Jack Daniels and coke...

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:10 am

rowley wrote:Drink pretty much exclusively Guinness and only do it when I am out. Can hold my ale though.

I heard you could sustain yourself on Guinness and tried it one Christmas. Not a pretty sight and was unable to eat come Christmas day.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am

Has anyone ever tried the belgian white lager/beer Hoegarden

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 am

Wasn't really sure about the red sodhat. Almost a beer/wine hybrid I thought, and far too fizzy.

Brooklyn is great, possibly my favourite lager(ish). Mentioned it on the other thread. Hoppy more than malty though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 am

trottb wrote:Tina/Michaels, where do you tend to get your wines from?

There's a lot of guff talked about wine. Unless you're paying £6 - £20 I'd say it's much of a muchness. Supermarkets have the best deals.

I came across a drink in the summer called reddy's ( i think). It is a fruity lager sort of thing. Lovely tipple to have on a balmy summer's evening.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am

trottb wrote:Has anyone ever tried the belgian white lager/beer Hoegarden
Yeah, not my favourite wheat. Erdinger or Paulaner are better in my opinion. Have Hoegaarden Grand Cru at home to try.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:16 am

Can't stand white lager. I'd drink it if it was free but that's about it.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:17 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:
Have you tried the less OTT ones? Erdinger for example.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am

Scottrf wrote:Wasn't really sure about the red sodhat. Almost a beer/wine hybrid I thought, and far too fizzy.

Brooklyn is great, possibly my favourite lager(ish). Mentioned it on the other thread. Hoppy more than malty though.

I knew hoppy was the word I was looking for! But yes I had it at Giraffe a few months ago and noticed Tesco sell it too so I stocked up big style.

Have you come across Westmalle Triple? I'm sure you have, but I was a big fan of that last time I had it but it knocked me for six with it's ABV. Generally a night at the Dutch bar will be paid for the morning after though.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:

Hoegarden does have a very unusual taste, but I actually quite like it.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am

I have come across Westmalle sodhat, have all the trappists bar Westveleteren at home, but not tried it yet. Yeah they are pretty strong, have a few over 10%!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am

Scottrf wrote:My favourite beers (rough order):

Fullers 1945
Chimay White
Brewdog 5am Saint
Maredsous 6
Duvel
Leffe Blonde
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Goose Island IPA
Fullers ESB
Brewdog Punk IPA

Notice a few Belgian classics on there Scott. Have you tried Bruges Zot? It's the last remaining trappist beer actually brewed exlusively in Bruges/Brugge (there's a good brewery tour if you ever go there) and is absolutely delicious.

Sierra Nevada's not a bad shout either, if you find yourself in the States that is, as it's a massive improvement on the urine-water they usually purvey over there (think anything that comes in a 'Light' version). Sam Adams is another option.

For Brit ales you can't beat Bombadier in my opinion, with Speckled Hen and Doom Bar close runners up and Honeydew a summery alternative.

Got to say I love my wines though, if it's red it's got to be New World. Chilean Pinot Noirs and South African Pinotage being my favourites. Drinking a Conor Sur rioja at the moment, also from Chile, which has fantastic depth of flavour and is very drinkable indeed! For whites I'm a little indifferent but generally like South African chardonnays or maybe Chenin Blanc, the Jordan winery is a particular favourite.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:22 am

Another poncey one-upmanship thread, I'll leave you gays guys to it.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 am

A little wine shop in a town near me called Hitchin. Met the guy that owns it at a works do. His company were catering and when he told me where his shop was, it turned out it was only 20 minutes down the road. He is a genuine expert and I follow his advice on what is a good wine and good vintage as and when they arrive. We are good friends now and he is yet to let me down. It is very pricey, but he does me a good deal most of the time. You can get great wines in supermarkets now though, the days of crappy supermarket wines are long gone. Seany is right about Aldi, if you want a dead easy red wine to drink, they do a fantastic Pinot Noir that is dirt cheap but lovely to knock back if you just want something quick and easy. Obviously I try very hard to avoid been seen in Aldi, but sometimes needs must.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

A little wine shop in a town near me called Hitchin. Met the guy that owns it at a works do. His company were catering and when he told me where his shop was, it turned out it was only 20 minutes down the road. He is a genuine expert and I follow his advice on what is a good wine and good vintage as and when they arrive. We are good friends now and he is yet to let me down. It is very pricey, but he does me a good deal most of the time. You can get great wines in supermarkets now though, the days of crappy supermarket wines are long gone. Seany is right about Aldi, if you want a dead easy red wine to drink, they do a fantastic Pinot Noir that is dirt cheap but lovely to knock back if you just want something quick and easy. Obviously I try very hard to avoid been seen in Aldi, but sometimes needs must.

Nothing wrong with Aldi, barring the eerie silence as you shop.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am

Union Cane wrote:Another poncey one-upmanship thread, I'll leave you gays guys to it.
[right]

So much anger Union, there is obviously something behind all this, feel free to share it you're amongst friends now.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am

Union Cane wrote:Another poncey one-upmanship thread, I'll leave you gays guys to it.

Why bother posting then. You could have just left people to it.

What was it you called Michaels? Drama Queen?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Notice a few Belgian classics on there Scott. Have you tried Bruges Zot? It's the last remaining trappist beer actually brewed exlusively in Bruges/Brugge (there's a good brewery tour if you ever go there) and is absolutely delicious.

For Brit ales you can't beat Bombadier in my opinion, with Speckled Hen and Doom Bar close runners up and Honeydew a summery alternative.
No I haven't. I think you'd struggle to get it over here, never been to Belgium. What would you compare it to/style?

Yeah I drink Bombardier/Speckled Hen on tap, but find Fullers 1945 and ESB a bit more interesting.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:30 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:

There's a lot of guff talked about wine. Unless you're paying £6 - £20 I'd say it's much of a muchness. Supermarkets have the best deals.

I came across a drink in the summer called reddy's ( i think). It is a fruity lager sort of thing. Lovely tipple to have on a balmy summer's evening.

I only buy supermarket wine for 'bring a bottle' type dinner parties etc. I pop over once or twice a year to wine merchants in North France to stock up the wine cabinent.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:34 am

I just want it to be known that I am not interested in 'I know more about fine wines than you' and 'I know more obscure ales than you', if I didn't say anything my lack of interest would not be apparent, I might just be busy. I am simply making my position clear.

To prove I am not a philistine I will share with you all the facts that I have the occasional can of Fosters on a weekend, and my cupboard is never without a bottle of Chairman's Reserve St Lucian rum, as it instantly transports me back to the Caribbean beach upon which I was married last year.

I do not drink wine, I do not like the taste of it and I think that people who pretend that they do are simply playing up to what they feel is expected of them, in a kind of Emperor's New Clothes way. I feel the same about modern art, but I'll save that rant for the modern art thread when it inevitably appears.

Don't forget Season 3 of the Prediction League :

https://www.606v2.com/t16872-union-cane-s-prediction-league-season-3

Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

Doom bar is a good shout, I enjoy a drop of that now and then.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

I agree Union, heaven forbid someone should take pleasure in something you have little to no time for. You're getting more like Coxy every day, and in case you were wondering that is not a compliment.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:38 am

It's not about naming obscure ones, if you like Fosters say Fosters Union.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 am

Union Cane wrote:

I do not drink wine, I do not like the taste of it and I think that people who pretend that they do are simply playing up to what they feel is expected of them, in a kind of Emperor's New Clothes way. I feel the same about modern art, but I'll save that rant for the modern art thread when it inevitably appears.

You're still here then?

So I am "pretending" I like the taste of wine. How very condescending of you, Union. I shall bear your thoughts in mind next time I go alcohol shopping, and not buy any wine for fear of upsetting you.

You really haven't been the same recently, Union. I think a combination of TRUSSMAN and Blue Kia Picanto man have withered you away.

Still a big fan of your work, though.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 am

Scottrf wrote:It's not about naming obscure ones, if you like Fosters say Fosters Union.

I don't particularly like it more than any other, although it's distinctive hoppy aroma swims over the nasal receptors like a swirling leaf caught on the breeze on a hazy late summer afternoon, with a farmer ploughing his field in the middle distance, and swallows swooping down from up high to snatch small winged insects from the air, filling their tiny swallow tummies for the long journey to Africa that lies ahead of them.

Also, it's £3 for 4 cans in Asda.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 am

Union Cane wrote:
Scottrf wrote:It's not about naming obscure ones, if you like Fosters say Fosters Union.

I don't particularly like it more than any other, although it's distinctive hoppy aroma swims over the nasal receptors like a swirling leaf caught on the breeze on a hazy late summer afternoon, with a farmer ploughing his field in the middle distance, and swallows swooping down from up high to snatch small winged insects from the air, filling their tiny swallow tummies for the long journey to Africa that lies ahead of them.

I can take it out of a can but not from draught. It's the other way round with Carling for some reason.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 am

Union Cane wrote:

So much anger, can't believe a young chap in a car can create such bile. Is it the Strictly thread Union, has it made you face up to some long buried feelings? Please share, you're a shell of the man you used to be at the minute.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 am

Union Cane wrote:

Fosters doesn't have a hoppy aroma you cretin.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 am

Anger? Bile? It was simply a Jilly Goolden-esque critique of my favourite lager.

Did you know that Robbie Savage broke his nose when he slid into and kissed the camera last Saturday?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 am

Scottrf wrote:Fosters doesn't have a hoppy aroma you cretin.

Doesn't it?

I wouldn't know, I'm not a homosexual.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:54 am

Union Cane wrote:Anger? Bile? It was simply a Jilly Goolden-esque critique of my favourite lager.

Did you know that Robbie Savage broke his nose when he slid into and kissed the camera last Saturday?

Yes I did Union, see isn't life so much happier when you take part in these discussions?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:54 am

Union Cane wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Fosters doesn't have a hoppy aroma you cretin.

Doesn't it?

I wouldn't know, I'm not a homosexual.

It was all going so well, you do seem overly keen to tell us you're not a homosexual Union, as Truss would put it you doth protest a little too much.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 am

rowley wrote:Yes I did Union, see isn't life so much happier when you take part in these discussions?

Indeed. The blackness is already lifting.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 am

Juniper or whatever the staple Brussels beer is good, makes our staple lager taste even more like rats urine.

VB is another favourite of mine, although is hard to come buy unless you're in the convicts bar (walkabout).

Just stick to Carlsberg though for session drinking, for some reason i actually quite like it.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next