The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons 23 for Treviso away.

+7
rhino-dragon
Thespacedragon
munkian
bedfordwelsh
Morgannwg
youngguns6
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

Dragons 23 for Treviso away. Empty Dragons 23 for Treviso away.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:40 pm

This is how the Argus has it. Our site only has the extended squad (I think).

TEAM: M Thomas, T Chavhanga, A Hughes, A Smith, M Poole, S Jones, W Evans, P Price, T Willis (captain), N Buck, A Jones, S Morgan, A Coombs, G Thomas, L Evans.
Replacements: N Williams, R Buckley, D Way, J Groves, T Brown, J Bedford, J Tovey, L Robling.

Very happy with that team really. Be good to see how Steffan Jones goes again.

Last edited by Risca Rev on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 23 not 22 innit)

Back to top Go down

Dragons 23 for Treviso away. Empty Re: Dragons 23 for Treviso away.

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm

What's you best guess on the outcome, Rev? I'm guessing that BT will have their Italian players back?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Alright As?

I did think Treviso win at first, but I quite like our side.

Our away form is generally a letdown though isn't it.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm

I was trying to remember how you got on against last year - home and away victories, right, so trip should hold no fear?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I've often looked at our side before an away game and thought we can do this only for us to play .... Crap! BUT I think we can do this!

Steffan at 10 is interesting, a great performance v wasps but in sure Toveys still first choice. It's going to be a tough desition who plays v blues (id go with jason) Were Lucky to have the to best young 10s in Wales!

I think the best news is Hughes at 13. With brew n burns back for the blues were going to be dangerous. Probably the beat team we've fielded this season.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Well I said this earlier elsewhere but I'll say it again.

I think I am in a minority in thinking Steffan Jones was poor vs Wasps away in the LV cup. He sliced the ball to touch again and again after Wasps put him under pressure which lead to the team then being under pressure from Wasps driving lineout. He allowed the scrum half to score under the posts by missing a tackle on him (albeit made up for this by slotting over winning penalty kick). He had a few shots at goal in which he succeeded but I think I remember him missing too but I've gone on to read how excellent he was against the mighty Wasps. It was always going to be hard to continue the form he showed on debut mind.

This guy can be a good player but is getting really over-hyped by the majority on here and it's all because of that sub-standard performance against a weakened Wasps.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am

Treviso not an easy touch away from home so I reckon a losing BP would be decent result though I know we should be looking to win these games.

Really hope Lewis evans can stay clear of injury this season,also whats happened to Gus, he just seems to be going backwards also dis-appointed that Hugo Ellis not made bigger impact
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:57 am

I think I am in a minority in thinking Steffan Jones was poor vs Wasps away in the LV cup. He sliced the ball to touch again and again after Wasps put him under pressure

Def in the minority, for his age and experience he had a cracking game - very calm and collected.

Yes he was under pressure at times but that's down to the Wasp's strong pack and us missing the majoirty of ours - when Charteris,Toby,Lydiate and Burns come back we should (hopefully) do Ok.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Well I said this earlier elsewhere but I'll say it again.

I think I am in a minority in thinking Steffan Jones was poor vs Wasps away in the LV cup.

Yep you are!!!
He scored 20 points and stuck over a last minute penalty under enormous pressure to win the game.
WASPS may have been weakened but they had internationals in their side unlike the Dragons who had none!!! On paper you would say that the Dragons were more weakened by giving their young players a chance.

Players will make mistakes and Jones will get better with experience. Also Tovey will improve now he has some decent competition at 10 to help him find that extra level that he needs to break into the Welsh setup rather than being a fringe Welsh squad member.

People will get excited and hype him up but these are the same people that hyped up Lydiate and Faletau when no one else had heard of them. I think your critism of their enthusiasm is quite harsh!!!

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Thespacedragon wrote:

I think I am in a minority in thinking Steffan Jones was poor vs Wasps away in the LV cup.

Yep you are!!!
He scored 20 points and stuck over a last minute penalty under enormous pressure to win the game.
WASPS may have been weakened but they had internationals in their side unlike the Dragons who had none!!! On paper you would say that the Dragons were more weakened by giving their young players a chance.

Players will make mistakes and Jones will get better with experience. Also Tovey will improve now he has some decent competition at 10 to help him find that extra level that he needs to break into the Welsh setup rather than being a fringe Welsh squad member.

People will get excited and hype him up but these are the same people that hyped up Lydiate and Faletau when no one else had heard of them. I think your critism of their enthusiasm is quite harsh!!!

thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Anyone else heard the rumour of us turning Lewis Evans into a 7? Think this may be a good thing. Gav Thomas has been great but will only be around for maybe another season. A back row of Lydiate, Evans and Faletau with back up from Coombes and Groves etc. on the bench is a great prospect for the future (if we can keep other club's hands off them!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Thespacedragon wrote:

I haven't criticised anyone's enthusiasm. Maybe you are overeacting? If he's so good then why did he keep slicing to touch and putting the team under pressure then make a pathetic attempt at a tackle on Simpson who dived in under the posts? I did note that he slotted over the penalty that won the game in case you missed it. I know you'll reply that he's just young and inexperienced but that doesn't excuse it. So maybe I have a point that he was not as good against Wasps as the majority make out?

If it was up to me though I would have him in the European squad over Matthew Jones as he has a lot more to offer.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm

This guy can be a good player but is getting really over-hyped by the majority on here and it's all because of that sub-standard performance against a weakened Wasps.

Sounds like a criticism to me!! warning
Also what are you expecting from him? Even seasoned rugby journos have said he starred in a match winning performance!!! laughing

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Yes overhyped in that game. To sound critical was not my intention.

What do I expect? I expect him to improve from that performance. I've already pointed out why I don't think it was a particulary amazing performance. You're boring now.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:02 pm

[quote="Morgannwg"]Yes overhyped in that game. To sound critical was not my intention.

What do I expect? I expect him to improve from that performance.

And he will if you give him the chance but to slate him for a match winning performance is a cheap shot.
Boring you as you can't back your comments up with anything decent??!!! Doh

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Why is pointing out that his sliced kicks put the team under pressure and that his poor effort of a tackle failed to stop Simpson diving in under the posts a cheap shot? Are those not decent enough facts for you because they support my point? Also it isn't me who will be giving him the chance, it's Edwards Wink.

I really don't see a problem with saying that his performance is not as good as made out. Have a cider on me.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Thespacedragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Morgannwg wrote: Have a cider on me.

Cheers - Magners please, I'll be in the Hazell next Friday giving 100% support!!

Thespacedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I was at the Wasps match and from my vantage point Stef had a great game. Even put some decent tackles in which is certainly an area Tovey is lacking in. Stef is not the finished article by any means but good to see that he was willing to put his body on the line and having two players competing for the same position can only benefit the Dragons.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Late change then. Wayne Evans ruled out with illness, Joe Bedford 9 Sad and James Leadbetter on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Griff wrote:Anyone else heard the rumour of us turning Lewis Evans into a 7? Think this may be a good thing. Gav Thomas has been great but will only be around for maybe another season. A back row of Lydiate, Evans and Faletau with back up from Coombes and Groves etc. on the bench is a great prospect for the future (if we can keep other club's hands off them!)

Didn't he play there few times last season Griff anyway? For him I think it would be better to concentrate on one position so to give hime the best chance of a call up but a back row of Lydiate Faletau and Lewis could be pretty damn good.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Shame about Evans, I really hope he gets an injury free run in the team next to Tovey this season, that could be a very good pairing.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Griff wrote:Anyone else heard the rumour of us turning Lewis Evans into a 7? Think this may be a good thing. Gav Thomas has been great but will only be around for maybe another season. A back row of Lydiate, Evans and Faletau with back up from Coombes and Groves etc. on the bench is a great prospect for the future (if we can keep other club's hands off them!)

Didn't he play there few times last season Griff anyway? For him I think it would be better to concentrate on one position so to give hime the best chance of a call up but a back row of Lydiate Faletau and Lewis could be pretty damn good.

Yeah, maybe he did a few times, and maybe that was part of this project to turn him into a 7 full time. I know back row is a position where versatility is a bonus, but we could do with a proper 7 with the imminent retirement of Gav Thomas. Getting Evans in at 7 and keeping him there will be good for him and the Dragons IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Really unsure as to why Edwards brought in Bedford. I was content with Jonothan Evans and Leadbeater being the back-up to Wayne Evans.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Griff,

Maybe its also a case now of Evans realising 7 might be his best shot at regular game time what with Dan and Toby taking the 6 and 8 spots.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Really unsure as to why Edwards brought in Bedford. I was content with Jonothan Evans and Leadbeater being the back-up to Wayne Evans.

When Bedford played the friendlies (albeit against weak opposition), I thought that his service was just what we needed. Now he seems to be ponderous in the league games and against Bath. I'm surprised he hasn't been told to just get the flipping ball away from the base of a ruck.

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Have to agree. Bedford has been a poor signing. I know that sounds harsh as it's only October. But he just doesn't look up to regional standard. He came on against aironi and looked absolutely dreadful.
I'm hoping we can front up in treviso tomorrow. Our back line looks very tasty. Have to feel a bit sorry for Matthew jones. He's no world beater, but he now finds himself behind Tovey and steffan and turning out for cross keys.
I wouldn't be surprised if Toby has booked a flight to marco polo with his kit bag!!! Got to love his dedication!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:39 am

mog,

What's the word on the street as they say, will we have our big threeback for next weeks game against the Blues?

Would be great if we did
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 am

Burns n brew will play. Danny n Luke wont. Toby... Well it depends if Edwards caves into his nagging! Would any other player playin ever wc game then ask to play away at treviso ! Hero

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 am

yr,

Pity the other two won't play lets hope we can still ger a result against them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm

oh dear dragons 50 - 24. Suprise, suprise dragons fail to turn up for yet another away match.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:01 pm

That's disgusting if you ask me. I know the Italians are much improved, and I'll be criticised for disrespecting Treviso, but we shouldn't ship 50 points away from home to them. If we're good enough to beat these teams at home then we should at least give them a good game and run them close in the away fixture. Someone needs to seriously look at our lack of focus, enthusiasm, guts, whatever you want to call it, that turns us to a bunch of Sunday league rugby players when we play away from home. Get a sports psychologist in or something. They're well paid professionals who should be made to account for such big disparities in performance from home to away. I'm fuming.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Sorry, my rant was probably a bit over the top. We've actually been fairly competitive away this season, often leading for most the match and then throwing it away at the end (Connacht, Glasgow), or at least being pretty competitive thoughtout (Leinster and Munster), or even winning (Wasps). I'll be interested to see what happened out there. Won't be pretty viewing. At least Chavanga got 2 tries, but what he must think of the club he's joined is anyone's guess Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:40 pm

What happened to the Dragons? Saw a few mins of highlights on S4C and the dragons seemed to just wave Trevisio through to the try line, it was appalling.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Bedford.
Don't think our big 3 will be involved. But Darren Edwards will have to wrestle faletau in the changing rooms if he's not wearing the no. 8 shirt. I wish this game was a week later. Our 1st team v theirs. Another home win me thinks!

On today. I plumper for treviso by 7 on the predictor, but I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd have snuck it. I liked the look of our back line. But as they say. It's won upfront. When we're back to full strength, we'll be fine.

And to think if we could have got a flight back on Sunday, me and a few others would have gone. It was £15 to fly into Venice today, but no direct flight home until Monday. There's always next year.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:17 pm

mog,

After tonights result should we bring them back, they will have had a good two week break by then and if we could get a good morale boosting win against the City Slickers if could be the kick start etc etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:57 am

Bedford, it is tempting to bring them straight back in but they've had no summer break like the rest of the squad. Even Brew and Burns will be a bit knackered even though they hardly played in NZ. For the 'big 3' I'm worried that playing constantly since last August, with only 2 weeks off now, may be good short term but could lead to injury, loss of form, loss of motivation, etc. further into the season. I'd give them a few more weeks off. For me, the challenge for us (or any club) is how to cope better during the worldcup/6N/AIs when players are away so that we don't feel we need to rush them back to turn around our season, tempting as it may be.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 am

Griff,

Fully understand and agree that it is a difficult one for Edwards, yesterday was a far heavier defeat than I would have expected, even thought we might have got a losing BP.

I just think if we could get a good derby win over the Blues it might be bit of kick start, I would be tempted to either start them and give them a half or use them off the bench.

But like you said its a long season but we need to start picking up points now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 am

I don't think anyone expects a win in Treviso as a given but to go and concede 50 points is just disgraceful.

Hope Edwards isn't afraid to wield the axe for the Blues friday, bring back the kids who did so well out at Wasps if necessary. We were talking about keeping hold of our star players not long ago, you have to wonder if a team that isnt playing HC rugby and concedes seven tries to Italian teams (no disrespect) is a team they want to be involved with. I think they are loyal and I really hope they are.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 pm

flanker,

Despite feeling that the Amlin CUp is our level I do fear that not being involved in the HC might lead us to losing our top players.

I just hope hace signed decent contracts to hopefully keep them there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

Faletau and Burns have both re-signed for another couple of years OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down