The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Irish looking at an overseas match

+5
formerly known as Sam
Thomond
Rava
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
9 posters

Go down

London Irish looking at an overseas match Empty London Irish looking at an overseas match

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

So hot on the heels of Wasps who played in Dubai, and Sarries who intend to play in South Africa, London Irish are investigating the possibility of playing a game overseas: Exiles abroad - I have to say that I'm not a fan of these moves in general, but wonder at Irish's tenuous links to the homeland that would justify an appeal to Irish Americans. Maybe it will work, I can certainly see the financial logic of filling a stadium over there, but still remain convinced that it's insulting to your own and the oppo's season ticket holders. What're your thoughts? OK

PS Having said all of that, Exeter will now go and announce a game in Sioux territory just to bite me on the arris!!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

London Irish looking at an overseas match Empty Re: London Irish looking at an overseas match

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 01 Nov 2011, 9:55 am

They probably mean playing a game in Ireland!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

London Irish looking at an overseas match Empty Re: London Irish looking at an overseas match

Post by Rava Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

Even "tenuous" is overstating LI's Irish links. Perhaps a game in the South Sea Islands would be more appealing. Very Happy

I do agree though that that it's insulting to the season ticket holding fans. I would have no problems if Ulster decided to have a pre-season friendly in SA but would be furious if they decided to play a "home" league game there.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

That would not work at all.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Nov 2011, 11:27 am

They'd be better off going state side and playing a game in Boston. Potential new market, massive stadiums (the Pats play 20 miles away from Boston) and plenty of fans willing to give the one off game a watch. Taking a game to Ireland would not work, Ireland have their own teams it wouldn't be a novelty and probabley wouldn't draw enough of a crowd.

More I think about it a game in Boston would make sense there's a strong hold of Irish Americans there and in the nearby states which would probabley buy into the Exiles branding for at least one weekend.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 01 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm

ASBO, you've got me wondering, why are Exeter the Cheifs?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 01 Nov 2011, 1:28 pm

yappy, back in 18-oatcake, the first team of Exeter Rugby Club were nicknamed 'the Chiefs' and I guess it just stuck Chief

Either that or the Baxter family are actually descendants of the Cree people Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:They'd be better off going state side and playing a game in Boston. Potential new market, massive stadiums (the Pats play 20 miles away from Boston) and plenty of fans willing to give the one off game a watch. Taking a game to Ireland would not work, Ireland have their own teams it wouldn't be a novelty and probabley wouldn't draw enough of a crowd.

More I think about it a game in Boston would make sense there's a strong hold of Irish Americans there and in the nearby states which would probabley buy into the Exiles branding for at least one weekend.

Boston is the intended destination of choice, Ireland would be a pointless and worthless exercise for the reasons already posted.

Most STH's are not in favour over on The Craic. Personally I do not have an issue with it if it increases revenue by promoting the brand stateside, but then I am not an STH, so I lose nothing personally from it.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:38 pm

The Wasps-Quins game was an LV cup game. I would definately have been more peeved if it was a league fixture where you really need to make the home advantage count.

The same can be said of the Sarries proposed H-Cup fixture in SA - although to a lesser extent as their home supprt is pretty sparse at the best of times. But its still a game that will be taken away from the STH's.

Boston would be the ideal location though - Just tell Exiles management to make it a lower profile game.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

If it's a low profile game and both sides send lesser teams out there then the chance to garner American supporters will be diminished. Ideally LI want to play Sarries over there as Sarries have a couple of American internationals and then the locals have a choice to support the American internationals and Sarries or the Irish Exiles.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:54 pm

Hi Sam, I suspect that most American supporters wouldnt know the LI 1st team players, if playing Sarries then fine - include Wyles and Hayden Smith.

There is no reason why an 'LV' squad cant entertain and make a spectacle - it may even be a more open and enjoyable spectacle than a Sarries 1st team.

LI certainly have a lot of junior and academy tallent, play them with a sprinkle of first teamers - Corbis, Armitage, Casey are all recogisable faces.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Nov 2011, 4:59 pm

Problem is David that when teams send out their second teams it is rarely an equal game, ideally you'd want to equal teams going hammer and tongs for the full 80 mins with the fans getting to see the best of the AP action. Not one team sticking 40 points on the other in a one sided slaughter as it just isn't that great to watch from a neutral perspective. LV Cup isn't important enough to get players hot under the collar, a niggly AP game like Glaws vs Sarries would have probabley really entertained the American public who like their sports to contain a bit of fisty cuffs every now and then.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 01 Nov 2011, 5:02 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15535966.stm

From reading this I am encouraged. It makes sense to 'test the waters' in pre season as suggested. Anything that grows the game, and the London Irish brand is a positive in my eyes, as long as all of the long term ramifications of the decision are fully considered.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 01 Nov 2011, 6:00 pm

Well,
I like the comment about drawing on the "tenuous" connection London Irish have to their homeland and the Irish diaspora. In today's world London Irish have as much of a connection to Ireland as Idi Amin (oops, sorry, that was Scotland in his case). So, I don' think thats a drawing card, even in Irish-American Boston. Most Americans would be confused by "London" "Irish".

Regardless, I think taking a match cross ocean is a good idea, But the key is Marketing, Marketing, Marketing. So they need to find a way to sell the match to people outside the American hard-core Rugby types (and they exist and are hard-core). Because, if people do go out and see the match, they will love it. And that helps grow Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down