The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+33
JDizzle
Bull
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Kidderlad
king_carlos
Biltong
msp83
LOVERBOY
HantsHenry
chrisss
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
kingdaveeagle
Mat
SimonofSurrey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
atletico86
jimbohammers
jbd349
Shelsey93
jimbobgooner
Dulwich_Dog
Tibor
ChrisfromStroud
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
37 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 11 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 01 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys

Just a quick one to let you know that I have spoken with All Out Cricket regarding the amount of Surrey fans we have here at 606v2, and they're going to look to provide any Surrey related blogs/news/articles that they have to this section. Given that their office is located near to the Oval, they often chat with the Surrey guys and as such get some good interviews, so hopefully they can get some of those across here for you fellas to get your teeth into.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 11 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by king_carlos Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:40 pm

Cheers guildford - Yep he didn't have a bad record at all from those games he played in 2010, it's a better record than several young players being touted for future England honours at the moment in fact.

It would be a real shame if he couldn't get another contract elsewhere, I always felt he could have gone far from the little I saw of him. The transition of players from academy to senior cricket is now well adapted with 2nd team cricket and loans. What isn't so adapted is a way the system can help players who don't quite make it however - as you say with King it can be a big come down for young guys in a very short period of time and one I hope the counties are trying to help them deal with.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 11 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I know no details at all but have been told by a reliable source that another batsman signing is 'in the pipeline'. Certainly needed!
No names given but there's a report in today's Surrey Ad that Surrey are seeking batting cover for when Smith is unavailable this season and also monitoring the Big Bash in Australia for a possible T20 signing.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:16 pm

Dogged performance by Sibley opening for England U19s against SA U19s. After a duck in the first innings he top scored with 62 off 154 balls in the second innings.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:50 pm

Another highly impressive performance by Sibley who carried is bat for 112* in the second youth test against SA. He is an U17 playing in the U19 match. The second highest scorer got 29.

Definitely one to watch. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:44 pm

Great news on Sibley's success Corporal.

We really need to start seeing some academy batsmen filtering through into the senior set-up and hanging around, too many in recent years have either faded or moved onto pastures new.

I've still got big hopes for Roy despite his struggles last season mind, he's such a talent in terms of his ball striking and range of shots.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 05 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

Great news about Sibley, seems to be a genuine talent and likes to get big runs - he scored at least 2 double hundreds for the academy last season didn't he? 263 balls for his hundred too so he likes to dig in! This is especially impressive as he is 2 years younger than a lot of the people he's playing against and it's his first U19 tour AND it's against South Africa in South Africa.

Not to mention he also has two 50's on this tour as well (and a wicket I believe!)

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 05 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

Very encouraging news about Dom Sibley. As Carrot suggests, not just getting runs but digging in to build an innings.

I've seen him bat once, for our seconds in a three dayer at Guildford against Middlesex late last summer when he was only sixteen. I can't say he set the ground alight but, batting at number three, he showed good defence and concentration for around half an hour before falling lbw for a single figure score.

I know he's highly regarded at the Oval. They're understandably trying to tread that fine line at the moment between bringing him on and not overhyping him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm

Unfortunately Sibley only scored 23 today and England lost by 67 runs.

Elsewhere as far as I know Jason Roy scored 5 twice in the BPL and hasn't played since and I think ZdB has been doing relatively well with bat and ball in SA somewhere.

Any other news from Surrey players abroad?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm

Hi Carrot - there have been occasional updates on the official Surrey website, from various players overseas - Jewell, the Viscount and Harinath spring to mind. Sounds as tho' all have done relatively OK, tho I'm not sure that they are operating in particularly high grade of cricket.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm

In case you haven't seen them yet, I would definitely recommend watching the interviews posted this week on the offical Surrey website with Tremlett and Davies, both seeming positive. Very Happy

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

Thanks, Kidder. In turn, I recommend a look at today's GOAT thread. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 08 Feb 2013, 10:05 pm

Not entirely surprised that Steve Davies says he had had depression at the end of last season. Let's hope he gets off to a good start this season as he is crucial member of the squad. thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 13 Feb 2013, 8:19 pm

92* off 55 for Roy in the BPL which should do him the world of good.

0 from 16 balls for Sibley in a one day match for Eng U19's

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 13 Feb 2013, 9:41 pm

Carrotdude wrote:92* off 55 for Roy in the BPL which should do him the world of good.
Cheered me up as well! thumbsup

PS Wouldn't worry about Sibley's slow duck. He's already given enough signs that he has the potential to really kick on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:20 pm

Carrotdude wrote:92* off 55 for Roy in the BPL which should do him the world of good.

0 from 16 balls for Sibley in a one day match for Eng U19's

clap

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

guildfordbat wrote:

Besides Thompson, Townsend and CEO Richard Gould, Gareth Batty (embodying team spirit throughout although highly emotional at one point when alluding to Tom Maynard) and Vikram Solanki were in attendance. Solanki came across as sensible, pleasant and respectful (even calling me ''Sir'' which made me feel exceptionally old!). He added that he wanted ''to score a lot of runs'' which at least suggests he sees his job as going beyond the dressing room! Very Happy

I wrote the above about Vikram Solanki after a members' forum at the Oval last October. He's currently providing studio analysis on the South Africa v Pakistan Test. Again he comes across as intelligent and likeable. The Surrey jury has to remain out on him as a cricketer and the main question as to whether he can justify his signing through scoring runs. However, as an individual, I continue to warm to him.

If you see any posts from me in the new season about him ''being immense in the dressing room'', please take me out and shoot me!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:20 am

guildfordbat wrote: If you see any posts from me in the new season about him ''being immense in the dressing room'', please take me out and shoot me!

Laugh I am expecting Smith to be "immense in the dressing room". Not sure whether the Surrey home dressing room is big enough for several immense people!?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 18 Feb 2013, 6:47 pm

Roy failed today in the BPL but his side are in the final so hopefully he can finish with a good score.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 20 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

Is it just me or does the last cricket season feel like ages ago, like years! furious

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 20 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

Lizzy Ammon has Tweeted that she is expecting a player announcement from Surrey tomorrow. Any ideas?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2013, 4:54 pm

i think it will be a batsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 20 Feb 2013, 7:53 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Lizzy Ammon has Tweeted that she is expecting a player announcement from Surrey tomorrow. Any ideas?

I would guess a batsman. We currently have Burns, Smith, Harinath, Solanki, de Bruyn, Roy, Davies, Wilson, Pietersen, Ansari that I can think of. Of these Smith will be unavailable a fair amount, Pietersen basically doesn't count, Wilson is away with Ireland quite a lot and Ansari won't be around until after his studies. That could leave us with just 6 batsmen available at points so I'd think we need one more but only if they are of suitable quality/age. No point in signing another experienced* player to bolster numbers imo.

*almost retired

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 21 Feb 2013, 9:24 am

Carrotdude wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:Lizzy Ammon has Tweeted that she is expecting a player announcement from Surrey tomorrow. Any ideas?

*almost retired

Well, he's not almost retired: he's actually retired. But he is good.

v2 Hall of Famer Ricky Ponting has been signed to fill in for Graeme Smith in June and July, and will play in both the T20 and the Guildford Festival amongst other things. He's been in good form for Tasmania since his Test retirement and so you'd think he'd be a pretty good signing. Not made clear yet whether he'll take over the captaincy, or just play as a batsman.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Thu 21 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

Most exciting about the signing because of the influence he can have on the game of the other players. With Smith as well being here this summer, almost makes up for the lack of a Batting Coach!

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:53 pm

told ya it would be a batsman Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 21 Feb 2013, 5:40 pm

Wow, wasn't expecting that! Fantastic signing to cover Smith's absence and, weather permitting, we may see him at Guildford, how exciting! Glad to hear his form has been good for Tasmania as at the end of his Aussie career he looked very poor. I don't think our young batsmen could have 2 better people to learn from this season in Smith and Ponting.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 21 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

Ponting Shocked

Adams unclear on whether Ponting will captain in Smith's absence. Sounds like it will be wholly or mainly down to Smith to decide. Should be a short period in July when Smith & Ponting are both around.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:56 pm

Just back from a few days away so slow to comment but clearly a very sizeable signing.
With Tom Maynard's inquest being held on Tuesday and flak certain to fly, the Club will at least be able to point to two supreme role models being in place for the new season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

can Ponting and Smith between them bring the good times back to surrey?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:33 pm

Smith and Ponting more likely to succeed at the Oval than Rob Quiney is at fortress Chelmsford? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Feb 2013, 6:23 pm

yup....im very upset about the signing of Quiney to my beloved Essex side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm

I'm not sure about Quiney either. However, I suppose he's better than not having an overseas player at all.

Middlesex and Hampshire probably have the bargains among Aussies. Middx have Voges in T20 - a current Aussie international - and probably at a far lower rate than Surrey are playing for Ponting who is really a newbie in T20, having not played much of it until he retired from Tests. Meanwhile, Hants have George Bailey who should do well at the Rose Bowl (though its obviously a risk as its not beyond the realms of possibility that if Oz go badly in Ind and he has a good start to the county season he could force his way on to the Ashes tour).

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:41 am

i'd rather have no overseas at all Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm

Tom Maynard inquest tomorrow...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:14 am

The toxicology report on Maynard has been released...

Key points:

- He had 214mg/100ml of alcohol in his system (legal drink-drive limit is 80mg)
- Cocaine found in his bloodstream. Suggests recent use. Evidence of regular cocaine use over a longer period too.

Raises questions about drug testing in county cricket.

First, it is difficult to believe that he was the only Surrey player on it. Second, if he felt able to get away with it over a reasonable period of time in-season it suggests that testing is either irregular or not very good or both.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:06 pm

ECB / Surrey statement"
"While the ECB accepts that recreational drug use is a part of modern society, we do not condone it and will take all reasonable steps to prevent its use within the game."

What a daft statement; seems to me they're condoning it by accepting it as a part of modern society.

"Yeah well, here's your contract, we accept that your cocaine and heavy alcohol use is a part of your lifestyle and, although we don't condone it, we understand you're likely to be indulging and most likely be below your best in some matches."

Can't understand any ceo worth his salt sanctioning such behaviour, why do sports feel that they're an exception? Or is it just cricket, with two of their young things apparently returning from Tour in disgrace, even though one of them is an habitual offender (a bit like Fletcher)?

Incomprehensible.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

Kwini - not only are Surrey having to face up to the horse having bolted but deal with the very awkward question of who opened the stable door so wide. All desperately sad and utterly dreadful.

On a more cheerful note, I assume your Fletcher reference is to Norman Stanley rather than the Gnome of Essex, Keith.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Yes, Norman Stanley.
And Yes, desperately sad and utterly dreadful.
But what a wishy washy statement from the ECB and Surrey. Surely there should be zero tolerance to breaking the law, which it seems these guys have done, and not for the first time.

No sympathy whatsoever to any offenders who are properly disciplined, perhaps they could start with Dernbach who sounds like an accessory at the very least?
Not much sympathy to the parents either. And I have a 23-y-o and 25-y-o.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

hopefully this can all be put to bed now and he can

R.I.P

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:22 pm

Glad that I wasn't the only one to be taken aback by the use of the word 'accepts' in the statement. Drug use may well be a part of modern society, but they should be tackling that among cricketers rather than 'accepting' it...

I was also somewhat surprised that only 35-40% of cricketers are drug tested in-seasons (once each, presumably). Whilst cricket is clearly at relatively low risk from performance enhancing drugs I was surprised that pros aren't tested more regularly: the current amount of testing seems a complete waste of time.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Whilst cricket is clearly at relatively low risk from performance enhancing drugs

You think so? I'm afraid I beg to differ. Whilst there is no known drug which will allow you to bowl leg-spin or play a cover-drive, there are plenty which can help you:
- bowl faster
- hit the ball further
- bowl for longer, and bowl more spells
- Have greater endurance at the crease, both mentally and physically
- play through the pain barrier
- recover faster after an injury

Steroids, EPO, blood doping, testosterone and cortisone can all have benefits on playing cricket I'm afraid.

I would guess there are a lot more PED skeletons in the cricketing closet than we know about.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:34 pm

That being said, I mentioned when Stokes and Coles were sent home from the Lions tour that I was concerned with the culture prevailing in the county scene, and in particular its effect on young (and hence often impressionable) players. The joint ECB/Surrey statement suggests that leniency stems from the very top, which is very concerning indeed. Hopefully, one consequence of this tragedy will be that such attitudes will be challenged, and hopefully changed.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:54 pm

I accept that, but I still maintain that cricket is relatively low-risk (compared to cycling, athletics etc.). Whilst pre-Armstrong cyclists might have reasoned that they could not do well in grand tours without drugs, cricketers would (hopefully) see that they are much more likely to ruin their careers than boost them significantly through drug use.

That said, I am far from condoning the ECB stance. Really, every cricketer should be tested at least twice at random each season.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:09 pm

Mike - you may recall my uncertainty and unease a few months ago about Tom Maynard being posthumously capped by Surrey.

I don't know if you now might think the Club were premature and overly lenient in bestowing what is considered at Surrey to be a very considerable honour.

Not trying to pick a fight. Not the day for that. Also, as well as not having the heart for a scrap I wouldn't know which side of any argument to fight for. There remain pros and cons both ways. As I said to Kwini, all desperately sad and utterly dreadful.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:15 pm

Guildford - I tend to agree with you re 'capping'. Should definitely have waited for some water to pass under the bridge.

Also, a few people saying that 'education' is what is needed. I'm not sure about that. There can't be many people who don't know that drugs are bad, but sadly there are a lot of people who feel the need to take them anyway. Ideally counties should be able to trust their players to act responsibly, but perhaps they need to be better controlled from above.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Feb 2013, 9:38 pm

Agree this is all very, very sad. Apart from the drugs aspect, the tragic incident reminds us that the culture in parts of the club - by no means all - was not right. There were other incidents of unsuitable behaviour besides this one, including the one during the evening of a county match.

Best that RHB has gone elsewhere, for a fresh start and not as a captain. And quite clearly a deliberate policy for Surrey to have gone for some of the heaviest hitters in the game, to bring some discipline. But none of these are new observations.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Agree this is all very, very sad. Apart from the drugs aspect, the tragic incident reminds us that the culture in parts of the club - by no means all - was not right. There were other incidents of unsuitable behaviour besides this one, including the one during the evening of a county match.

This has been one of the most worrying aspects of this case in my view. If this tragic incident had not occured, how many other players could have been dragged into a world of excess drinking and drugs.

At least now Surrey should have one of the toughest anti-drink and drug regimes around, which will only be to the benefit of the players.

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

Re Ponting a really good signing for the County game as a whole IMO. For Surrey time will tell. He's as good a like for like replacement for Smith as we could've hoped for given his wealth of experience which should bring some discipline to the changing room. It's his runs we'll desperately need given our lack of batting however. From a personal perspective I'm actually delighted as (and this is blaspheme for many Englishmen) I'm actually a big Punter fan. I enjoy watching him bat about as much as anyone I've seen.

On the Maynard inquest I'm a bit lost for words on the issue now. A tragic loss which is now revealing a hopefully not widespread problem within the squad last season. Given how close several players like RHB, Davies, etc were with Tom we can only hope this wasn't filtering through the squad I guess. Not a very succinct comment on the issue I know but all I've really got in me at this point.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:05 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Yes, Norman Stanley.
And Yes, desperately sad and utterly dreadful.
But what a wishy washy statement from the ECB and Surrey. Surely there should be zero tolerance to breaking the law, which it seems these guys have done, and not for the first time.

No sympathy whatsoever to any offenders who are properly disciplined, perhaps they could start with Dernbach who sounds like an accessory at the very least?
Not much sympathy to the parents either. And I have a 23-y-o and 25-y-o.
picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

A very belated happy new year to all Surrey fans.. just coming out of my winter hibernation...(although having spent the day on the allotment,with a very chilly NE wind blowing, the cricket season still seems a long way off!
Just been reading the comments made re the Tom Maynard inquest... I recall the conversation we had in the aftermath of the tragedy and some of those comments made at that time still seem pertinent... Apart from the issue around use of illegal substances, the drinking culture amongst a few of the players is really quite worrying... lets just hope that if there is a change in attitude and culture, then atleast a tiny bit of good will have come out of this awful situation... I don't really understand the previous contribution... how can anyone but not have sympathy with the parents?

on to Surrey's signings... my only concern is that buying in these players may make it more difficult for some of our promising youngsters to get a good run in the team... I do think that Smith could well turn out to be an excellent signing.. I just hope we aren't going to be seen at the Man City of the County Championship 1 furious It would be great if younger players like Ansari, Roy, Meaker continue to improve and are able to make a really positive contribution... Very Happy ... Anyway roll on some sunshine, warm and the sound of bat on willow Cool

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next