The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey news/articles

+33
JDizzle
Bull
NickisBHAFC
kwinigolfer
Kidderlad
king_carlos
Biltong
msp83
LOVERBOY
HantsHenry
chrisss
Mike Selig
Derbyblue
kingdaveeagle
Mat
SimonofSurrey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
thegooch7
Good Golly I'm Olly
atletico86
jimbohammers
jbd349
Shelsey93
jimbobgooner
Dulwich_Dog
Tibor
ChrisfromStroud
chichestersurryfan
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
ShankyCricket
Fists of Fury
37 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 18 Empty Surrey news/articles

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys

Just a quick one to let you know that I have spoken with All Out Cricket regarding the amount of Surrey fans we have here at 606v2, and they're going to look to provide any Surrey related blogs/news/articles that they have to this section. Given that their office is located near to the Oval, they often chat with the Surrey guys and as such get some good interviews, so hopefully they can get some of those across here for you fellas to get your teeth into.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Surrey news/articles - Page 18 Empty Re: Surrey news/articles

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Will be tough for Derbyshire but you are never quite out of it in this competition as a couple of wins can do a lot for you. Notts have struggled to win games and, whilst they are currently entrenched in mid-table, could still be vulnerable. That said, Andre Adams is now back from injury which might make a big difference.

Am I correct in thinking there is no Surrey fixture until the end of August? If so that is a very strange bit of scheduling, particularly given they've already had a long period with no Champ cricket at The Oval during the Champions Trophy.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Shelsey - Surrey's next CC game starts on 22 August at Durham. We ludicrously have 6 CC matches squeezed into the last 5 weeks of the season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm

So now we are looking at the bottom of table like this:

Somerset played 11 with 82 points
Surrey     played 10 with 74 points
Derby      played 11 with 68 points

In short it's wide open and any one of the three teams could yet survive - by continuing to play poorly - eg with a quick bit of help from the late season weather!  I can see there being a few "results" pitches being prepared!  The three teams still have to play each other.  Conceivably Surrey could survive without winning a match the entire season, although that's fairly unlikely and would probably depend on Somerset v Derby being rained off among other things. Erm

Guildford - I'd better start checking the long range weather forecast Wink 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Excellent work, Corporal.

Experience gained through your years spent monitoring West Ham's position in the table alreading proving of immense value. Smile 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Another fivefer today for Curran.

Called up for the second day of the second' CC match against Sussex at Arundel, he took 5-33. Earlier opening batsman and season long triallist Akil Patel (brother of Samit) carried his bat for 56.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 am

Guildford - encouraging that Curran continuing his good form.  

I also see that in the recent England U19 matches Winslade did OK with the ball, especially in the first of the two matches.  Didn't make much impression with the bat, coming in late with required run rate getting out of control.

One miscellaneous stat to note is that Dernbach needs one more wicket in T20 to become Surrey's outright leading wicket taker in the competition, moving ahead of the illustrious duo of Doshi and Schofield.  (Of those three bowlers - who have each taken 53 wickets for Surrey in T20 - it's interesting to note that Doshi has by far the best average and strike rate.)  By way of comparison Alfonso Thomas has taken 109 wickets for Somerset in T20.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Surrey 2s beating Sussex 2s thanks to centuries from Arun Harinath and... Tim Linley!

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 pm

following on from shelsey surrey have won by 6 wkts  the baron 124* clap clap clap and the viscount 105* Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo notworthy notworthy notworthy clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Wowee!!! Didn't know that - many thanks. More ammunition for the second campaign which I also expect to be successful before the season is out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Well done the Viscount. clap clap clap And Harinath of course. thumbsup   We are going to need him in good batting form for the latter stages of the cc. Is the Viscount officially now an all rounder?!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 am

Jim Allenby and David Willey are interesting Surrey, both out of contract, they could be heading for The Oval.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 am

I believe Allenby would be a superb signing for any team. He goes a bit under the radar but has been exceptional for Glamorgan in both departments. However, would it be a good move for Surrey to sign another 30+?

Willey is somebody who could be around for years to come, though he might find himself blocking the path of Curran if he went to Surrey. He's a bit of a late bloomer but will want to get to a big county I think, particularly if Northants' promotion campaign stutters again.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 am

Shelsey - you may be right but the thought of signing either of them doesn't set my pulse rating or, more importantly, encourage me to see green shoots of recovery.

My initial view - based on gut reaction and no analysis, for which apologies - is that Allenby is a bits 'n pieces player whilst Willey is already at the right county for him.

You say ''Allenby would be a superb signing for any team''.Would you really want him in the Middlesex first eleven?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:43 am

guildfordbat wrote:Shelsey - you may be right but the thought of signing either of them doesn't set my pulse rating or, more importantly, encourage me to see green shoots of recovery.  

My initial view - based on gut reaction and no analysis, for which apologies - is that Allenby is a bits 'n pieces player whilst Willey is already at the right county for him.

You say ''Allenby would be a superb signing for any team''.Would you really want him in the Middlesex first eleven?
I think Allenby is good enough, at least based on this season. Talk to people from Glamorgan and he has become some kind of God-like figure. That said, he probably wouldn't be top of my Middlesex list as we already have Berg and Dexter as all-rounders.

There is definitely a big difference between Div 1 and 2 these days too.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Shelsey - you may be right but the thought of signing either of them doesn't set my pulse rating or, more importantly, encourage me to see green shoots of recovery.  

I think Allenby is good enough, at least based on this season. Talk to people from Glamorgan and he has become some kind of God-like figure. That said, he probably wouldn't be top of my Middlesex list as we already have Berg and Dexter as all-rounders.

There is definitely a big difference between Div 1 and 2 these days too.
Shelsey - certainly agree with you about there being a big difference between Div 1 and 2 these days. The fact that Allenby and Willey have only been doing the business in the lower tier gives no guarantee that they'll do it at a a higher level and leaves me unsure. Appreciate that Surrey may ultimately need decent Div 2 players to get them back to the promised land but that wouldn't be my starting point today!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Gareth Batty suspended for Finals Day after "two Level Two breaches". Presumably his second was for the incident between himself and Trego in QF.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 pm

A Surrey CCC statement said: “The Club agrees that Gareth Batty deserves a penalty for the verbal altercation that took place with Peter Trego but regret the decision of the Cricket Disciplinary Commission in delaying the start of the two match ban in order to coincide with FLt20 Finals day next Saturday.

“Under ECB guidelines a ban would normally be initiated immediately – and would have applied to the home game against Derbyshire this Sunday and away against Hampshire on Thursday.
batty well and truly stitched up mad 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 pm

I understand that both infringements relate to the same incident. He got '3 points' for swearing at Trego and then '6' for the push, because you get double points for a second offence. '9' points = a ban, hence the ban.

As jimbob says the controversy is that the ECB decided to apply the ban to the next two T20 games (i.e. Finals Day) rather than the next two matches in all competitions (i.e. the next two YB40s). My understanding is that this is at the discretion of those handing out the verdict but you can see why Surrey might feel aggrieved.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 pm

I suppose they may have thought that Surrey's next two matches were of little consequence and very little punishment for batty to have to miss them.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Re the Batty/Trego incident. From beyond the boundary (Stand 16/17) it was very clear GB was hyped up. I think he took offence at Trego taking the p!ss with an outlandishly premeditated (and, frankly, badly executed) reverse sweep off what as I recall was the first ball of the over. If GB swore rather than just wished Trego goodnight and a safe journey home, or similar, then he deserved the 3 points. The subsequent push (hard to see from where we were sitting) sounds daft but may have been in part provoked by a response from Trego - who doesn't come across as a Choirboy, either. Bottom line though is that GB started it, behaved badly and, as both a senior player and captain, should have known and acted better so deserves to be made an example. Tough on him to have to miss a prestigious day at the twilight end of his career but there you go.

By the by, a yellow card also for G Wilson for mouthing off in a separate incident. We don't need that thanks, fellers.

In sum, I don't think we can grumble about the letter of the law being applied. ...Provided similar misdemeanours from others at other clubs are met with similar draconian application of the letter of the law. Talking of which, I note C Kieswetter got just a reprimand for his Level 1 breach. Would be interesting to know when he swore and at whom. If it were at or in the hearing of G Batty, for example, and before the GB/Trego incident... ah, forget it - the ECB in their ineffable wisdom (??) have spoken.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Simon - thanks for the update. I can't help thinking too that Batty can't have too many complaints. There may be issues about Trego and whether he got off lightly but sadly that is no excuse for Batty.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:30 pm

batty has spoken he is not happy censored

http://www.kiaoval.com/batty-comments-on-ban/

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Although I don't agree with the ban, the deliberate timing of it and lack of punishment for Trego complaining about it is pointless so they should just let it go.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Ok guys, leaving Surrey's immediate future in your hands. On hols for 2 weeks from early tomorrow.

On Battygate, we're not without sin but do seen to have been done up like a kipper in comparison to how blind eyes have been turned to the misdemeanours of others (Corporal - how about that for a mix of expressions!). It probably won't get us anywhere, as Carrot says, but I still think we're right to kick up a fuss.

We will massively miss Batty's bowling and captaincy on t20 finals day. His one-day bowling is top notch. His captaincy isn't but it's still miles better than that of Solanki who is totally incapable of thinking on his feet.

Interested by the Second XI awards on the Club site. Right to commend these players but the timing and the actual award seems odd. For example, the Viscount took 73 first team CC wickets in the 2011 season and propelled us to the promised land of Division One. Two years down the line, we honour him with a second team award!?! The campaign perhaps goes back a step but continues.

Meanwhile, Tom Jewell who has been a stalwart of the seconds for several seasons gets no recognition at this level. A new campaign starts.

Expect you folks to have a CC win waiting for me when I get back ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Have a good holiday, Guildford!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Well done to Winslade who took four wickets for England U19s (in the win against Bangladesh)

Today the England U19s were hammered by Pakistan U19 - but Winslade was by far the most economical of the England bowlers.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Amla signs for Surrey OK 

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:24 pm

wow what a excellent signing Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 pm

what a signing!

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm

CF wrote:what a signing!
thumbsup 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 pm

much better signing than ponting!

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:40 pm

CF wrote:much better signing than ponting!
Headscratch 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:42 pm

CF, what on Earth are you talking about. Not only are you belittling a great of the game, but you are talking garbage along with it. Did you care to look at Ponting's record whilst at Surrey? You might want to, he didn't do too badly. Even Hash will have to go some to live up to that and the wider impact that Ponting's brief tenure had upon everyone at Surrey.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I meant at this point of their respective careers, Amla should and will add more to the team batting wise

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Evening all,

Wish I could be making a guest appearance in the forum with Surrey supporters in better spirits but given the state of affairs in the current CC game (and campaign) that's not to be. Due to work commitments colliding with the summer as they always seem to I've once again been unable to spend much time on these boards throughout the season but a thought just came to mind that I thankfully have time to air.

Given our lack of a game changing CC spinner for what feels like far far too long would any other Surrey fans be interested in signing Monty given he has just become available?

I understand given his recent misdemeanors many may be wary of it, incidents made more worrying to me by the fact that I though MP used to be diet coke guy on a night out, but his quality as a spinner in the 4-day game is still plenty IMO even if he has had a poor season.

Personally I think he'd be a good signing and would also give us room to keep Batty for the one-day stuff in which he's bowled very well. Just a thought anyway!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Possibly of interest to some Surrey fans is the news that former Surrey and Gloucs wicket-keeper Jon Batty is to make a one-off comeback with Northants this week. David Murphy, Northants regular 'keeper, is away with Scotland whilst Ben Duckett, the England U19 gloveman, is injured. They wanted an experienced man to help with their promotion push!

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:Possibly of interest to some Surrey fans is the news that former Surrey and Gloucs wicket-keeper Jon Batty is to make a one-off comeback with Northants this week. David Murphy, Northants regular 'keeper, is away with Scotland whilst Ben Duckett, the England U19 gloveman, is injured. They wanted an experienced man to help with their promotion push!
Shelsey's thanks for that update.  As you may recall Jon Batty comes highly recommended by Chris from Stroud (see the somewhat dormant Gloucs thread) following Batty's successful stint at Gloucs!  Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Jon Lewis to be released by Surrey at the end of the season.

Not surprising, really.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Fists -thanks. Indeed no surprise there.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm

Yep, thanks from me as well, Fists.

As the Corporal says, it's no surprise but I hadn't heard the announcement until I saw your post.

No rejoicing from me about the release of any player but no crocodile tears either.

A very strange signing by Adams. He was well past his best when he joined us for the 2012 season (conceding 100 CC runs in no balls that first season) and did little more than unfairly stand in the way of Linley and block the first team path for the likes of Edwards, Dunn and Jewell (the latter is also likely to be released).

Alec Stewart has praised him as being "a model professional". I wouldn't dispute that but it was never reason enough to sign him.

Contract decisions also awaited on the Brain and Tremlett. Hants reported to be interested in re-signing Tremlett.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Good to see Darren Bicknell (age 46) playing today for Cambs in the minor counties final against Cheshire.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Surrey have announced that the Brain has been released.  No great surprise there.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Batty two years contract extension.  Tremlett one year.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Expect Derby left arm seamer Mark Footit to move to Surrey for next season, whilst Middlesex's Dawid Malan, currently out of contract, continues to attract interest too.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks, Lover. That's the second time I've heard Footit being linked with Surrey recently. Can't say I'm particularly thrilled. We already have enough seamers. Even if it means a period of consolidation, I would rather we gave meaningful opportunity to home grown younger bowlers like Dunn and Edwards.

The Surrey cupboard is pretty bare though as regards batting options. Malan could well be worth following up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Lover - I have heard info to the contrary on Malan. My understanding is he has another year left and, following hard work with Ramprakash, is now keen to stay.

I'm not sure of the Footitt rumour though there does seem to be some basis to it... not sure why Surrey would want him to be honest. They have a more pressing need for a batsman and, if they sign a bowler, in my opinion he needs to be able to bat eight.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by LOVERBOY Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Footit ha the twin attributes of extra pace and being a left armer,which would bring some variaton to the attack which has a certain sameness to it,hence the interest.
Malan may have a year left at Middlesex,but increasing pressure on his place from younger players, following a pretty disastrous season of red ball cricket may persuade him  to try his luck elsewhere,especially if an attractive offer from Surrey is forthcoming,and The Middle agree to let him go,together with the liklihood of more availability of Morgan,who may not receive a new central contract and strong rumours of the recruitment of Ed Joyce could mak Mala surplus to requirements.
Another whom Surey like is young Worcestershire all-rounder Aneesh Kapil.

LOVERBOY

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Lover - you are probably right that IF Joyce was signed, Malan might be allowed to/ be tempted to go elsewhere. Right now I expect Dawid to be given another go at the start of next season.

The elephant in the room would seem to be Morgan, however. He will not got another central contract (only got one this year due to the fact that he was in the Test plans for India, pre-KP's return) and will consequently need to be paid by Middx - an increment contract offers only compensation and does not preclude the player from counting towards the salary cap. Despite that his availability is unlikely to be much better than next year with IPL (I can't see Middx stopping him from going) and ODIs...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Enjoy division 2 next season chaps kiss

Also thanks for Chris Jordan Smile

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Enjoy division 2 next season chaps kiss

Also thanks for Chris Jordan Smile
Do you ever wonder if this is the right forum for you?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next