The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots.

+7
Casartelli
red_stag
Kingshu
Impossible Standards
Mickado
Cari
beshocked
11 posters

Go down

The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots. Empty The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots.

Post by beshocked Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

Have to give credit to a fellow Saracens supporter on rugby network called Bazter for bringing this up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/8864526/Ospreys-ban-players-from-having-spray-tans-and-wearing-coloured-boots-in-attempt-to-shed-Galacticos-tag.html

What do you think funny or what?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots. Empty Re: The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots.

Post by Cari Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:54 pm

The "galacticos" tag would be dropped if the press stopped fecking using it! furious

Cari

Back to top Go down

The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots. Empty Re: The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots.

Post by beshocked Wed 02 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

I still don't know why you are called the galacticos by the press.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

You’re only allowed to wear coloured boots if you’ve played over 50 times for the Ospreys or 15 times for your country?

Really? That seems a bit arbitrary. I don’t see anything wrong with coloured boots personally.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

They clash with the kit

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 02 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

Henson will never come back if that is the case!

I agree on the Galacticos tag, if I was an Ospreys supporter that reference would get very annoying. Even more so now!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:45 pm

Honestly I'd ban coloured boots as well, just to try and have everyone in same strip etc no individuals, kinds like the army do, both don't want individuals, they want a collective team spirit.

I'd also only have the Senior team top, allowed to be worn by the senior team, under age, and 'A' sides would have a similar top but hooped or something, just to put more pride in getting to the senior team and in the jersey.

ie for Ireland i'd bring back the Hooped wolfhounds top for every team but the senior team.
at teh minute a player would have worn an Ireland senior top at every age, but imagine that they had worn the hooped top at ever age grade and when they got to the senior team they get the green top, how much more proud of wearing the jesery do you think they'd feel!

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 02 Nov 2011, 5:46 pm

beshocked wrote:I still don't know why you are called the galacticos by the press.

I believe it originated in the Welsh press who were critical of the O's apparent big spends on well known international players. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:03 pm

Kingshu wrote:
ie for Ireland i'd bring back the Hooped wolfhounds top for every team but the senior team.
at teh minute a player would have worn an Ireland senior top at every age, but imagine that they had worn the hooped top at ever age grade and when they got to the senior team they get the green top, how much more proud of wearing the jesery do you think they'd feel!

Im a big believer in this also.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 02 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

Kingshu wrote:Honestly I'd ban coloured boots as well, just to try and have everyone in same strip etc no individuals, kinds like the army do, both don't want individuals, they want a collective team spirit.

I'd also only have the Senior team top, allowed to be worn by the senior team, under age, and 'A' sides would have a similar top but hooped or something, just to put more pride in getting to the senior team and in the jersey.

That's a cracking idea King!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

I have it on good authority that Sean Holley has drafted a memo to the IRB demanding immediate drug testing for Fake Tan.

How do you determine fake tan from actual tan? Are sun beds okay? (assuming they are supervised by someone with an NVQ in UV radiation?) What if someone is naturally dark skinned?

This borders on a form of racism, to be honest.

Holley has the intellectual capacity of a pre-schooler.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

Casartelli wrote:I have it on good authority that Sean Holley has drafted a memo to the IRB demanding immediate drug testing for Fake Tan.

How do you determine fake tan from actual tan? Are sun beds okay? (assuming they are supervised by someone with an NVQ in UV radiation?) What if someone is naturally dark skinned?

This borders on a form of racism, to be honest.

Holley has the intellectual capacity of a pre-schooler.

Are you seriously suggesting that banning fake tan is a form of racism? Major facepalm.. That is actually hilarious.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 03 Nov 2011, 6:09 am

On a serious note, and getting back to the original post, I think there's a point to this. Maybe management - or whoever made this decision - (sports psychologist perhaps?) have noticed that there shouldn't be a place for vanity in sport. Players should be focusing on the task ahead and gaining confidence from their own, and their team performance. If they're getting more preoccupied with how they look to the point of wearing dodgy boots that just look better (as opposed to the intended technical purpose of boots) then that can have a negative affect on the way they perform.

I also agree with Stag's point that there shouldn't be any stand-out individuals in a collective team, and the players should be proud to earn and wear the jersey on their backs, rather than bothered about how they look in it.

Oh, I'm taking Casartelli's post as a pishtake. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 03 Nov 2011, 9:44 am

Being serious I don't see how a fake tan ban will work as I can only think of Gareth Owen as being fake tanned (or it looks that way), also do sun bed count as fake tan??

On the coloured boots thing, that means only a handful of Ospreys players will not be allowed to wear coloured boots, as players quickly pick up 50 apps for a region.

Personally it seems that the Ospreys have not been generating so much press this season, especially now the Henson will he/won't he has been resolved. I think this is just trying to get their name written in the paper with out it being a pre/post match article.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Gareth Owen is naturally olive skinned actually. The only players I recall with a harsh tan (fake or otherwise) was Gavin, Hook and sometimes Rhys Webb. Two of them have gone now, so hopefully the tanning won't catch on anymore and we'll see no more of it.

I can see what the management are trying to do, and in my view it can only be a good thing. Take the emphasis away from individual players appearances and concentrate on the rugby team they are.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 03 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

One thing about this that may cause problems, most players have deals to wear a certain makes of boots.

If that company only makes a special model, in white, the player will be under contract to wear it. Ospreys would need to add a clause when signing players that they can only wear black boots.

Just noticed how bad my typing is.

In my defense I'm trying to get messages in quickly while at work, so no time to spell check or proof read, type and enter, and hope people can understand the jist off it.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 03 Nov 2011, 11:08 am

Kings - I would've thought that all manufacturers make boots in just plain designs in addition to the garish coloured ones. I doubt the manufacturers specify which colour the players have to wear under contract as long as they wear the right make - maybe an All Black player is an exception to that rule, though. I'm sure the players could wear other colours besides black depending on the design. I don't think the O's would have a problem with white for instance.

Cari

Back to top Go down

The Ospreys ban spray tan and coloured boots. Empty Ospreys Management – Spray Tan Ban

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:42 pm

Announced in today’s Irish Times, Ospreys management have banned spray tan and coloured boots this season in a bid to side step their “Galacticos” moniker for good. This is hilarious and brightened up my day. The Ospreys have already got rid of lots of dead orange coloured wood, Byrne, Henson etc. plus Wales did very well in the world cup and were up there with the most professional well prepared outfits at the WC. New Welsh heros such as Sam Warburton are model pros and role models.

Is Welsh rugby finally taking rugby seriously? Is this the end of the clowning around era of Welsh rugby? Is there still room for Prima Donnas?

Personally I wish the Ospreys well and I think that this is a great move. I would actually quite like to see them win a Heino.

By the way I wanted to do this in the club rugby section but couldn't work out how.

Last edited by leinsterbaby on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Nov 2011, 1:46 pm

Thanks. I've been offline for ages. Couldn't find it before I posted. Ignore it so, I'll go back to bed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 04 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Thanks. I've been offline for ages. Couldn't find it before I posted. Ignore it so, I'll go back to bed.

I was just being lazy, cause I explained what I thought about it on there Smile The mods can merge the threads anyway.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

If an Ospreys player takes a few days winter break to somewhere sunny - and comes back a tad bronzed - will Holley insist they wait until they fade back to their pre-holiday shade before they take the field?

How does Holley determine the base colour by which to assess whether a player has faked a tan?

Does he have a drawer of colour/tint/comparison charts like those things they have in B & Q?

This could turn out to be an administrative minefield.

Huge controversy continues to follow the Ospreys around.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 04 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

So their gonna paint sonny parker white? Headscratch

What a stupid idea this tan thing is... why not just concentrate on the bloody game of rugby instead of doing all these bloody gimmicks.

All they need to do is develop welsh players and win a lot and the fans will soon come back. It's the same idiots dreaming these gimmicks up that drove the fan base away in the first place!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Nov 2011, 7:47 pm

If you ask me the fake tan, shave your legs, style your hair prima donnas are the idiots. It's those guys that need to focus on rugby. It's a good move from the ospreys but maybe they should have kept it quiet.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm

Casartelli wrote:If an Ospreys player takes a few days winter break to somewhere sunny - and comes back a tad bronzed - will Holley insist they wait until they fade back to their pre-holiday shade before they take the field?

How does Holley determine the base colour by which to assess whether a player has faked a tan?

Does he have a drawer of colour/tint/comparison charts like those things they have in B & Q?

A tad bronzed is not the problem, orange faces are the problem. In any case when is a player gonna take a winter break. Rugby season is in winter.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 04 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

If they ant to do something constructive they should ban old Ospreys shirts at games, every team you go too, the fans look pretty decent and uniformed, you go to a blóody Ospreys game and we look like licorice all sorts!
They have brought out 4 new jerseys this season alone which doesn't help, Though I stick to the black home kit myself, though I dont really like the blue, I prefer the purple. Laugh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:08 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:
Casartelli wrote:If an Ospreys player takes a few days winter break to somewhere sunny - and comes back a tad bronzed - will Holley insist they wait until they fade back to their pre-holiday shade before they take the field?

A tad bronzed is not the problem, orange faces are the problem. In any case when is a player gonna take a winter break. Rugby season is in winter.

Apparently, so I've heard, players sometimes get injured.

I've also heard that Autumn Internationals sometimes result in a break in the fixture list. Maybe not in Dublin, now that the Irish play in a half-sized stadium, I suppose.

The SH teams like a big arena!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

Do they still have their rhinestone-studded belt buckles (Mates For Life) thing going on?

What a bunch of jokers! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

Casartelli wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:

Apparently, so I've heard, players sometimes get injured.

I've also heard that Autumn Internationals sometimes result in a break in the fixture list. Maybe not in Dublin, now that the Irish play in a half-sized stadium, I suppose.

The SH teams like a big arena!

Since when is autumn winter genius?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 06 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

Since when is autumn winter?

That's a bit of a mind-bender. From wikipedia;

Astronomically, it starts with the winter solstice (around December 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and June 21 in the Southern Hemisphere), and ends with the spring equinox (around March 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and September 21 in the Southern Hemisphere). In meteorology, it is by convention counted instead as the whole months of June, July and August in the Southern Hemisphere and December, January and February in the Northern Hemisphere.

However, in the United Kingdom and Ireland the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, the winter season beginning November 1 on All Hallows or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc or Candlemas, which is February 1 or 2. This system of seasons is based on the length of days exclusively. The three-month period of the shortest days and weakest solar radiation occurs during November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere (May-July in the Southern).

Maybe they should be called the autumn/winter internationals. For solar radiation correctness.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down