The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls

+25
damage_13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HURLEY_BURLEY
Davie
hugehandoff
red_stag
bedfordwelsh
mystiroakey
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
emack2
Gatts
PerryGee
Gibson
EnglishReign
nathan
OzT
Smirnoffpriest
eirebilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Metal Tiger
SneakySideStep
Luckless Pedestrian
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls Empty Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Wilkinson slams World Cup organisers

Quite frankly this outburst is Embarrasing. The other kickers in the world cup missed a few but to be honest to lambast the organisers in this way is terrible.

I used to have a lot of time for Wilko. He is a talented fly half who tackles well and kicks very well. To exoplode like this in a national newspaper and his autobiography is poor reflection on someone who I held in high regard as a player and an ambassador of the sport.

I could rattle through the kickers that seemed to have no problem with the balls but I think you already know who they are.

Terrible rant from Wilko though mad furious
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls Empty Re: Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:24 pm

His kicking was poor at the last World Cup as well. Perhaps he's taking out some frustration here. His general game at the World Cup marked him out as one of the worst fly halves in the tournament, a massive fall from his peak.

I've always had a lot of time for Wilkinson as a character in the game, if someone like Cipriani or Henson (or Johnny Beattie) had his attitude and character we'd be talking about some truly great players.

Real shame he didn't get it together. He's not a player or a man I wanted to see fail.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls Empty Re: Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm

If he's angry, fair enough; but his missed kicks didn't cost England victory at the World Cup. I'd have more sympathy with Stephen Jones or James Hook if they came out criticising the match balls, but funnily enough they haven't blamed the balls for their missed kicks.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SneakySideStep Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I have considerable sympathy for anyone who criticises the IRB over bringing in new balls for the RWC. It's silly that a tournament designed to find the best team in the world should have a fundamental change like this for the tournament - forget the financial side for a second and concentrate on the sporting target.

That said, it was the same for everyone and the sad fact is that Wilkinson never got to grips with the new ball.

SneakySideStep

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Got a link to the interview?
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:Got a link to the interview?

It's in today's Times, so probably hidden behind the great Murdoch paywall.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm

There is also a link inbeded in the first sentence of the thread I posted up.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:09 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:There is also a link inbeded in the first sentence of the thread I posted up.

Apologies - missed that.... thought it was just a sub title for your post.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

In fairness to JW. He is hardly the type of man who complains, he is normally very critical of himself. I believe him, i think that the balls were shocking.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:04 pm

To be honest I can understand as bringing in new balls (just for the money from sports companies) has greatly affected many footballing world cups and clearly affected this one - even if most kickers weren't affected to the degree Wilkinson was (though that could be because most of Wilkinson's game is based on kicking to a far greater than most flyhalves). It's still pretty shoddy.

The thing that makes Wilkinson look bad though is to create controversy about this subject just so he can sell his autobiography (probably his 2nd or 3rd), which I think is such an awful celebrity thing to do.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:07 pm

If this is as exciting as his autobiography gets, I can't see it being a particularly good read.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Well to be fair he's hardly the most exciting guy is he?

lol

(great pro though)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't know Smirnoff, I know he's taught himself guitar and got quite into Buddhism, both of which interest me.

Maybe that just makes me boring, too!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Was that during his long hair phase when at the end of his Newcastle tenure??

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Really?i didnt know that.i suppose it was a bit of a harsh comment by me considerin I dont know much about the guy. I was just goin on how he comes across in interviews - like the alan shearer of rugby. Ohh there I go again, I bet alan shearer will do sumthin excitin I dont know,like sky divin or break dancing now

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I thought in soccer was meant to be Gary Liniker that was meant to be good, safe and boring???

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I think in football shearer is even safer and more boring. At least lineker is a practical joker and cracks jokes

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

OzT wrote:I thought in soccer was meant to be Gary Liniker that was meant to be good, safe and boring???

you leave our Gary Liniker out of this this!!! The man's protecting our crisps!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Well Walkers do make an exceedingly good chip!!!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:23 pm

OzT wrote:Was that during his long hair phase when at the end of his Newcastle tenure??

Yeah he lost it a bit. Got into Buddhism, grew his hair out, started reading books on quantum physics, taught himself two different languages plus guitar and piano...basically everything bar playing rugby. Had some dark moments over the years too.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1058291/Jonny-Wilkinson-Ive-Buddhist-reading-quantum-physics-books.html

As a result, I find this rugby ball outburst quite refreshing.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson spits the dummy out over RWC Balls Empty Johnny Wilkinson on the RWC match balls.

Post by Gibson Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2011/1107/1224307185374.html

I tend to trust this guy.Best technical kicker of a generation, sampling match and non-match balls. And stating the vast difference in flight.

It had to be a problem. Contepomi had the Same problem. Sexton too. Both 80/90% kickers.

Did the Kiwis have more time with them? Everyone except Weepu that is?
Thoughts?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by PerryGee Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 am

Almost an intersting article from Gilbert about the 2011 RWC match ball.
Obviously a New Zealander Whistle

Some of the comments from Grayson are priceless!

http://www.grays-int.com/news/201107-GIL1.aspx

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 am

the only horribly 'unprofessional behaviour' was displayed by the 2 England coaches banned for their involvement in Ballgate

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:04 am

Firstly,the IRB sponsored the new ball,NOT NZ,these balls were NOT available for practice by the kickers pre-the first matches.
MOST of the misses occurred in the first up matches,MANY kickers had problems including Dan Carter,Colin Slade,and Piri Weepu[the latter may have been to a virus,and a groin strain]
Dan Carter after practicing said it required a slight change to his kicking action.
People like Yachvilli,Parra,Morne Steyn to mention 3 had no problem with it.
The Australian Kicking coach,after his kickers having problems stated the New Ball was ok.
One thought Wilkinson was kicking most of the time in Dunedin a CLOSED ground.Did this have adverse effects on the ball,JW is a meticulous trainer
BUT did he just go thru his usual routine,or did he seek help to adjust to the new ball?
Is it more suited to the old style straight through kick as opposed to the round the corner kickers?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 am

If England had scored more tries they wouldnt have had to be more reliant on goal kicks for points.
The funny thing about the England switching the ball saga was that they didnt realise that the guy who was standing next to the ball boys was Ian Smith, who just picked up his microphone and in 20 seconds told all NZ sky viewers what was going on...Then sat back and watched it unfold.the only people that werent aware of what was going on,was those of us at the ground.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 am

It was not like wilkinson, carter, to miss so many kicks at goal i was wandering if alot o it was down to pressure on the players themselves, Although being used to high pressure games this was the bigggest test of all.

They always say it is a poor man who blames his tools.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:56 am

the players that kick straight through the ball had far more success,Steyn,O'Connor and Botha.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 am

he is making a point and fair play- do you think people should just stay in line and shut up- or express there opinions. JW has a voice and he used it- just like you are doing on here. But dont be foolish to suggest that JW is embarrasing or that the IRB are correct in using a completly new ball that hasnt been practsied with .

If people only see this as a publicity stunt well i dont buy that thats a problem in this case. New balls have caused problems in football and rugby RWs, nothing wrong with bringing it up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:If he's angry, fair enough; but his missed kicks didn't cost England victory at the World Cup. I'd have more sympathy with Stephen Jones or James Hook if they came out criticising the match balls, but funnily enough they haven't blamed the balls for their missed kicks.

erm maybe you would have more sympathy , but the worold wouldnt- Say what you want but JW is a well respected player of the game and a modern legend. I am not bigging him up becuaes he is english- but his voice is louder as a world cup winner than the others you mention

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 am

I will read his book out of interest and love sports biographies but I doubt there will be much scandal in there.

I have had pleasure of meeting him when he was at Newcastle and he is a genuine nice bloke who never sort the limelight he could have quite easily attracted after 03.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 am

Look i have said this before JW is one of the most honest and humble players out there. He calls it how he see's it and that includes when he has had a bad performance. So if he says that the balls were bad then i believe him. He is also not the only one.

Neil Jenkins (the greatest kicker i have seen) also said that the balls were not that good and that he felt that the players werent given wnough time to adjust to them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:03 am

I agree with Eirebilly.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 am

mystiroakey wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:If he's angry, fair enough; but his missed kicks didn't cost England victory at the World Cup. I'd have more sympathy with Stephen Jones or James Hook if they came out criticising the match balls, but funnily enough they haven't blamed the balls for their missed kicks.

erm maybe you would have more sympathy , but the worold wouldnt- Say what you want but JW is a well respected player of the game and a modern legend. I am not bigging him up becuaes he is english- but his voice is louder as a world cup winner than the others you mention

I think you're missing my point, which is that Wilkinson's missed kicks didn't cost his country victory in any matches. I thought I'd made that clear enough, but obviously not.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 am

Here here eire, especially the Jinks quote Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 am

Merging this with the existing thread Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:16 am

it would be interesting to hear from Hook and others. I suspect the balls were bad, but then you have to deal with it and just do your best. Others did better than JW. But to introduce new balls for the RWC which were inconsistent is an own goal and unfair on all the kickers.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

I think you're missing my point, which is that Wilkinson's missed kicks didn't cost his country victory in any matches. I thought I'd made that clear enough, but obviously not.

what point am i missing- The only point i can see from your post is that you feel as if the points JW made would have carried more weight if they were made by the two you mention above- I disagree completlely, its immaterial if kicks cost games or not- sometimes its much better that the points are made by someone WHO ISNT making excuses.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 am

Agree with your last comment Mysteriokey and I don't really see your point luckless.

Wilko isn't throwing out the dummy because his team lost - he is making a point based on a dozen years of top class place kicking and the difference in this RWC
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:21 am

Okay, now you're confusing me. Neither Stephen Jones nor James Hook have been 'making excuses.'

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:22 am

This is not sour grapes from JW as he has also stated that England werent good enough as a team to proceed further in the tournement. He is not using the ball as an excuse, he is just stating that he felt that the balls werent very good.

I will certainly listen to a man with well over 1000 international points if he says something like this.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 am

Luckless why bring up Jones and Halfpenny - I don't get your point.

Wilko has said there is a problem with the balls. He has kicked hundreds and hundreds of points internationally - he knows his stuff.

Its nothing to do with Jones or Halfpenny.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:25 am

Always wondered about kicking action,the old fashioned toe punt[for want of a better word].Was widely taught in my day,Barry John was among the first round the corner guys.
NOT an expert but if the kick is on the wrong foot[side] then you have to fade it in or out.
Seemed the other way you just lined it up a kicked straight ahead which seems simpler.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Okay, now you're confusing me. Neither Stephen Jones nor James Hook have been 'making excuses.'

i know they havent - but if they were to make the point JW has then there could be feelings of sour grapes from the public and/or IRB.

In this case JW could be seen as a fall guy who is away from controvesry, but the fact reamins he makes a pretty good point and has all credintials to make this point

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 am

I also dont see this as JW 'spitting the dummy'. He has a very valid point to make and has made it. Someone with his history and ability in the game has every right to make such a statement if he feels that its true.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 am

In my opinion you can only respect someone for speaking out. JW was not just a good kicker he was/is an obsessive kicker. He should be able to say what ever he wants , whenever he wants and people should listen, people dont need to agree but they need to respect him. And people need to get the fact that england had a bad world cup out of this equation. That has nothing to do with it. Any new ball should be trialed at a high level before use and all teams should have access months before.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am

It is certainly a fairly inflammatory thread title...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 am

Right, I'll try again: I'm not having a go at Jonny Wilkinson, he's a credit to the game of rugby; my point is that he's fortunate that his missed kicks didn't prove to be the difference between winning and losing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:47 am

ok luckless no problem- but your going of on a tangent and have confussed the main point.

Unless you feel as though he shouldnt speak out because you feel it didnt affect england.

JW is a player and isnt just speaking for the english- he is speaking out for himself foremost,all other players and the game it self. And he has the right. If anything is done about this changing the ball situation he will have done the rugby world a service.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by HURLEY_BURLEY Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 am

Jonny Wilkinson has earned the right to explain his point of view.
He is one of the great technical kickers of the game, and I am sure he knows what he is talking about.
Interesting to note that he felt the match balls drifted off to the right. This happened to Jonny Sexton a lot for Irelandat the WC, leading to him being called a bottler etc etc.
Back on duty for Leinster V Munster on Friday and BAM, 7 from 7.
I know some kickers had good records at the world cup but maybe with a proper ball they would have missed all theirs left. Wink

HURLEY_BURLEY

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 am

Mysti, of course Wilkinson can speak out if he wants. I'm not saying he shouldn't at all.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next