The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piledriver?? Where Art Thou??

4 posters

Go down

Piledriver?? Where Art Thou?? Empty Piledriver?? Where Art Thou??

Post by Guest Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

Nobody uses this anymore!!!

Back to top Go down

Piledriver?? Where Art Thou?? Empty Re: Piledriver?? Where Art Thou??

Post by TwisT Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

It has been banned, at least by the WWE. Chyna, Austin and Tazz all suffered serious injuries by botched piledrivers.

I don't think you can class the tombstone as risky as a normal piledriver as Taker's knees always hit the ground first. The Tombstone that HHH delieved to Taker at WM, was dangerous however. Taker's head was dangling below knee height.

It could be a huge moment if, for one massive match (say a WM one), they stopped the ban and used it. Done effectively, I think it is one of the most awsome looking moves you can do.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

One of my favourite ever Wrestling moves, I'd love them to lift the ban, in theory it should be one of the safest moves to do because your ass should hit the ground first.

I remember watching Survivor Series 89 and the Brain Busters used a Spike Piledriver and it was sold like they killed the guy, awesome

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:04 pm

I would like to see it come back but only with a lot of work being done with the guy who is using it to make sure they get it right. Lawler was always good at delivering a brutal looking yet safe piledriver perhaps they could bring it back with Swagger using it after learning from the king?

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:10 pm

Gaffer, didn't they build the whole "ending careers" gimmick around Lawler when he used it in Memphis?

I can imagine there have been a lot more injuries occured using the move then Austin and Tazz. Would still like to see it used on occasion though. I thought that Helms vertebreaker was a much more dangerous piledriver variation than a normal piledriver.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Swagger has already got two pretty good finishers that suit him, I think it'd suit someone like Ziggler better, I don't rate his finisher much, same with Miz

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

xTwisTx wrote:Gaffer, didn't they build the whole "ending careers" gimmick around Lawler when he used it in Memphis?

I can imagine there have been a lot more injuries occured using the move then Austin and Tazz. Would still like to see it used on occasion though. I thought that Helms vertebreaker was a much more dangerous piledriver variation than a normal piledriver.

I think that it was just that, a gimmick, any wrestling move could cause serious injury if it's botched to be fair, I just feel that the Piledriver was one of the more controlled moves

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stonee21 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 3:16 pm

He does but I just love the idea of Swagger delivering a piledriver on someone, I think it would just look awesome with a guy that big and powerful delivering a move like that.

I don't think it would suite Ziggler as he is not one of the biggest and just wouldn't seem believable if he was facing a big guy

Stonee21

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 09 Nov 2011, 1:44 pm

I watched some Saturday Nights Main Event on youtube last night. A match against Bret Hart and Ted DiBiase in '91. Ted delievered a picture perfect piledriver on Hart, who sold it brilliantly (he kind of shot up while being in a handstand position)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr_nzKitong&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL79BF7B9C6D5E8D64

It is around the 3.40 mark if you want to see it.

The important thing for me is that this was used near the beginning of the match, and Hart didn't even make it a near fall. If a piledriver like that was used today, you would think it would be a near 3 count. Simply because back then it was more readily used. Performed now, it would make a much bigger impact.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:00 pm

Yeah it was executed well, most wrestlers did seem to use it back then, it was a popular move, I much prefer the matches in the 80s & 90s to be honest due to the nature of the matches, nowadays every match is more or less the same which makes them pretty easy to telegraph, we all know when it's time to go home which is poor, I liked the move DiBiase used before the piledriver, when he caught Hart midair and fell back to closeline him with the top rope, great ring pressence from guys, guys nowadays simply don't have that kind of ring pressence in their locker

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 09 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

I often watch SME on youtube around about 89-92 era. That isn't the first piledriver I had seen in a match, and I agree I much prefer matches of this era. Commentry was better as well.

Those were the days............

I can see the piledriver making a short return. Rather like the chairshot HHH gave to Taker at WM, I would not be surprised if someone defies the ban and use it. Who and where would probably need to involve HHH or Taker again (maybe Cena) and it would need to be at a PPV. Hope it does though.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mort Wed 09 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

Eric Young still uses the piledriver.

Mort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down