The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ufc on fox

+5
Soldier_Of_Fortune
easthfc
Valero's Conscience
Adam D
boomdangle
9 posters

Go down

ufc on fox Empty ufc on fox

Post by boomdangle Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

Big weekend coming up with the title fight between Cain and JDS and of course the old war horse clay guida who is always entertaining.

The title fight i don't see it going the distance, Cain was was awesome in his destruction of brock, and JDS ever since his coaching on tuf he came across as a nice and humble bloke so am split down the middle.
For no other reason than JDS being the underdog i am going to back him to win. The fight may not even go past the 1st it could simply come down to who gets there range first.

anyway am really looking forward to it, and then hendo next week. We really are beign spoilt in recent weeks.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

ufc on fox Empty Re: ufc on fox

Post by Adam D Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:25 am

Is this on ESP or some other channel?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:41 am

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:Is this on ESP or some other channel?

I heard something about being free on sports channel Premier Sports but never heard of it?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:46 am

it's a weird one was just looking on wiki and there saying as it's to do with the launch on fox they are only showing the main event on free tv in america so wouldnt expect it to be on any channels over here to be honest.

But i would go through them just to be sure. 139 next week will be back to business on espn though.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:51 am

Hope this fight lives up to the hype as it could really help to grow MMA.

I think Cain is the more complete fighter and will get a TKO.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:56 am

just checked UFC.com:

Spoiler:

On premier sports OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

Lame, I havent got that channel. Typical

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

Its on Sky Channel 433 - its subcription but i heard that it'll be free to all Sky customers for the main event which airs at 2am

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 08 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

this fight is so hard to call - I don't want either man to lose!!! Both are great fighters and worthy champions. I think it will go into the second or third round - I can't see it being one sided. It should be a fairly even fight with some excellent exchanges on the feet.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 08 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

Clunge4life wrote:Its on Sky Channel 433 - its subcription but i heard that it'll be free to all Sky customers for the main event which airs at 2am

Sweet! Good night for combat sports.

I'm watching the Pac vs Marquez fight with friends who are not really into MMA so will hopefully be able to watch this without the main events clashing and possibly make a few more fans of MMA!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 10 Nov 2011, 8:17 am

the more I think about this fight - the more I struggle to call it! Will Valesquez have cage rust? Does JDS have the power to KO Valesquez as he couldn't get the KO over Nelson or Carwin? Will they come racing out of the traps or will it be a cagey first round? If it went into the championship rounds who has better cardio?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:08 am

It is a very tough one, i've heard many people's takes on it and people seem to side with Cain due to him being more well rounded and those who side with JDS comment on his stand up being a major factor.

I do think JDS is the harder puncher but only marginally and I think JDS is also well rounded, he is a black belt BJJ, however just prefers to stand albeit Cain is the vastly superior wrestler.

JDS couldn't KO Nelson but apart from one KO loss to Arlovski, no one has KO'd him so I don't think it can be used as measure against Cain. As for Carwin he's never been knocked out so again i'm unsure.

How well has Cain's chin been tested, he's only had a small number of fights.

I think it's as close to a 50/50 fight as you can get which is why it's so interesting but if I had to pick a winner i'd go with Cain.

I think both have great cardio but I believe neither have gone 5 rounds so no idea how either will cope.

I hope they come out swinging, it's a huge event for UFC and very important to put on a show and i'm sure the UFC and Dana have spoken to both camps and pleaded the fight be entertaining and have probably have been given back room incentives to entertain.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 10 Nov 2011, 9:23 am

that's what makes this fight so intriguing - you have two good grapplers who both have fists of fury who love to bring it! Brock charged out of the blocks like a rhino and tried to overwhelm Cain early. I don't think JDS will come out looking for the takedown but I can't see them just standing in front of each other and letting bombs go either. I think JDS will try and take the centre of the Octagon, circling Cain trying to cut off his angles and then letting his hands go - possibly with Cain up against the cage. I have a feeling this will be almost a purely kick boxing affair as I don't think many casual fans will want to see a ground war using their jiu-jitsu so as you said I'm sure Dana has probably had a word with both camps. Personally I think there is a prejudice against Jiu-Jitsu in the UFC at the moment - guys who win by submission are seen as less entertaining than those who head hunt and look for the TKO.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 10 Nov 2011, 11:56 am

Valero's Conscience wrote:It is a very tough one, i've heard many people's takes on it and people seem to side with Cain due to him being more well rounded and those who side with JDS comment on his stand up being a major factor.

I do think JDS is the harder puncher but only marginally and I think JDS is also well rounded, he is a black belt BJJ, however just prefers to stand albeit Cain is the vastly superior wrestler.

JDS couldn't KO Nelson but apart from one KO loss to Arlovski, no one has KO'd him so I don't think it can be used as measure against Cain. As for Carwin he's never been knocked out so again i'm unsure.

How well has Cain's chin been tested, he's only had a small number of fights.

I think it's as close to a 50/50 fight as you can get which is why it's so interesting but if I had to pick a winner i'd go with Cain.

I think both have great cardio but I believe neither have gone 5 rounds so no idea how either will cope.

I hope they come out swinging, it's a huge event for UFC and very important to put on a show and i'm sure the UFC and Dana have spoken to both camps and pleaded the fight be entertaining and have probably have been given back room incentives to entertain.

In the Cain v Kongo fight, Kongo landed a few blows which rocked Cain a bit and he went straight into defensive mode, which was take him down and GnP. Which I may add, did to great effect.

I think that fight took Kongo's punch resistance away.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 13 Nov 2011, 10:22 am

So did any of you watch it?

Strange that they fit the whole broadcast into 1 hour - was it pre recorded and then shown as live?

By the time the fight started, they would have struggled to fit in 25 minutes of in ring action had it gone the distance.

Anyway - spectacular finish but not exactly a technical masterclass.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

*spoiler alert*

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I watched some of the prelims on facebook and must say that there were some very entertaining fights; however the main event was just typical of heavyweight title fights - two big power punches = short fight. Cain managed to finish Brock inside one round and now JDS has done the same - in even quicker fashion as the fight never went to the ground. I must admit I was shocked it was over that quick into the first round. I at least thought it would be more competitive for the majority of the first possibly into the second. It leaves us with a very interesting predicament now for the rankings - who will Cain fight next in order to get another title shot? Brock and Overeem fight in December for the No1 contenders position so whoever wins that fight will face JDS. Will Cain fight the loser of that fight? Or will Cain fight Mir if he beats Big Nog as he himself is on the verge of a title shot?

Cain said he would be back to reclaim his title and there's no doubt in my mind he could beat all the other opposition in the heavyweight division; but how many fights he will have to fight before he gets his rematch is the question? Personally I think a Cain/Mir or Cain/Overeem fight would be interesting; I've no interest in seeing him face Brock again.

As far as how the fight would be seen by new fans or casual fans of combat sports then I would probably hazard a guess and say it would appeal to people's desire to see spectacular KOs. In that respect the fight delivered. It may not have been a great technical fight or even a slug fest but it was short and shocking and I think will appeal to a lot of people, especially those who only watch heavyweight fights for the KOs. There are a lot of casual boxing fans who only watch the big heavyweight fights and I'm sure there are your casual MMA fans who do the same thing. However, I think Joe Rogan sounded a bit foolish in hindsight when he described Cain as having a perfect game as he stepped into the Octagon - I know everyone makes mistakes but still getting caught 64 seconds into a fight proves Cain isn't perfect. But, to be fair to Cain he had been out for 13 months with an injury and so cage rust might have been a factor - I definitely think a lot of Cain's hesitancy was because he was struggling to find his rhythm.

Everyone knows now that JDS' gameplan is to out box and KO his opponents. Although he is a black belt in BJJ he doesn't like using it. If I were his next opponent, no-matter how good a kick boxer you were, I think its important to take JDS out of his comfort zone asap. However, if Overeem faces JDS I can't see that happening. Brock will definitely shoot for the takedown but doubt he will have any success on the ground. Mir might have more success keeping JDS on the ground but knowing his past success rate against power punchers wouldn't hold much hope of him overcoming JDS' speed and power.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:22 am

The main event may have been short shocking but the clay fight more than made up for it, was brilliant clay always delivers. The many submission attempts, the striking it more than made up for the shortness so to speak of the main bout.

And the Johnson fight, what a sweet knockout when he connected he had time to raise his hands and celebrate before finishing the job. It almost seemed like i dont want to hit him he's out ref do your job.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:38 am

not been on for a while and only just seen this, didnt realise it was being shown live! had to watch it the next day on a stream.

always felt jds had a style to trouble cain, hard to take down and better boxing, so wasnt too suprised in the result especially after cains big lay off (anyone else think cain didnt look in great shape and abit flabby?)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:22 am

Saw it live and was a good show albeit the main event was quick!

At first I thought the punch that dropped Cain was glancing blow replays show it was right on the temple so not much Cain could do once connected as I can't think of many who would have stayed standing after that kind of punch ad where it landed from JDS.

Would like Overeem to beat Lesnar and then make for a mouth watering fight between him and JDS!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:35 am

overeem v jds is the ideal match up fight next, both top class strikers and overeem would be the one that i would give best chance to beat jds.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm

compelling and rich wrote:overeem v jds is the ideal match up fight next, both top class strikers and overeem would be the one that i would give best chance to beat jds.

I see Overeem beating Brock in December but am not confident he will claim the Heavyweight title off of JDS as easily as he did Cain. JDS has kept very active in beating Carwin for a title shot and he will be supremely confident coming off of the back of his title victory. He also is one of the best pure strikers in the UFC, rivaling Nick Diaz - Overeem is a world class kick boxer, but when it comes to fists JDS hits hard and fast. In a way I don't want JDS to lose the title on his first defence because it just makes the heavyweight division so predictable in its inconsistency. But that's heavyweight MMA for you!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Tue 15 Nov 2011, 4:02 pm

Does anyone know how long JDS will be out as I have heard he needs knee surgery? I hope we don’t have to wait over a year again before we get another HW title fight.
With regards to who JDS will fight next, I agree with most on here that Overeem vs. JDS is my preferred choice but Overeem hasn’t for a very long time faced a wrestler with Brocks calibre. If Brock can get it to the ground I can’t see how Overeem can get out from underneath Brock considering how big Brock is.

Overeem vs. JDS still will be a much better fight then Brock vs.JDS – Brock has already chickened out of that fight once before!

My predicition on the Overeem vs. Brock fight is Brock wins via ground n pound much to my dissapointment. I am normally wrong on prediciting fights so I hope I am wrong again!

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Nov 2011, 9:34 pm

Like most on here Overeem vs JDS is what I'd like to see & think it would make a great fight & I have to say I'd defo fancy Overeem to win. For me he's the more rounded seasoned fighter, I've not seen JDS go to the ground that much, he hasn't needed to, but in keeping it standing he's up against a top Muay Thai/kickboxer with serious power whose gonna be allowed use more of his Muay Thai than he can in K1. I know that JDS can punch & is quick but he's not as good or as quick as some of the top K1 guys, who are the top guys in stand up, who overeem has fought & if it does go to the ground then again I think Overeem has the edge.

The big stumbling block to this tho is Lesnar, as has been said its going to be the first time he's been up against a bigger stronger athletic guy with a great wrestling background, its a fight i can only see ending early.

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

Overeem will definitely need to work on his takedown defence because there is only one winner on the feet.

I doubt that in Brock's absence since his loss to Cain he has become a better all round fighter - he may have made some headway but his illness and surgery will have set him back. Overeem is the vastly more experienced fighter and I think that will give him an edge.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by boomdangle Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:58 am

Everyone said the same about cain how he was to well rounded and would control all areas, but a heavy hand to the temple counter acted that.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:16 pm

boomdangle wrote:Everyone said the same about cain how he was to well rounded and would control all areas, but a heavy hand to the temple counter acted that.

Interestingly there were those who favored JDS saying that Cain lacked experience & until Brock hadn't fought anybody special. I think the fight is gonna be a stand up fight & that Overeem is the better fighter, he is K1 champion after all, & JDS brings nothing that Overeem hasn't seen before or better. I actually want JDS to win as I find Overeem an arrogant, humorless bore. JDS comes across as down to earth, genuinely nice guy. As I said before I think Brock is potentially the harder fight for Overeem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum