The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article

+13
dynamark
McLaren
GWR-Golfer
oldshanker
navyblueshorts
oldparwin
JPX
mystiroakey
Skydriver
drive4show
Maverick
super_realist
Doc
17 posters

Go down

Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article Empty Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article

Post by Doc Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:21 pm

I read a piece earlier about forged club designs that became classics and templates for OEM's to use as a base when designing their latest offerings. So I thought this would cause some debate, as some of them are not my cup of tea, but: ........ Some are to die for

Ben Hogan 50th Anniversary
TaylorMade TP Forged (Japan)
MacGregor VIP V-Foil
Titleist Muira Forged (T127/500)
Nike V-R Blade
Tour Stage MR23
KZG ZO Blades
Epon AF-301
GIGA CB-781
Nickent ARC
North Western TW276
Tommy Armour V-31
Gauge Design RC1
Bridgestone J33
Epon Technica Pro1
Mizuno MP32
Mizuno MP14
Vega 50th Anniversary
Miura Tournament Blades
Miura CB501

I've managed to find a link to a very similar article, which has photo's and some other clubs added to the above list, which have been mentioned by some. A bit more comprehensive

http://www.mygolfspy.com/best-golf-blade-iron-designs/

Last edited by Doc on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

Doc

Back to top Go down

Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article Empty Re: Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 pm

I'd add:

Cobra Pro MB
Snake Eyes 675 MB
Srixon Pro 100
Cleveland CG1 Tour
Wilson FG62

and
Adams MB2

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article Empty Re: Best Forged Designs? Link with photo's added from a similar article

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 pm

In all honesty of all those listed, the only ones I actually like are:

Nike V-R Blade
KZG ZO Blades
North Western TW276
MacGregor VIP V-Foil
and the ones that really catch my eye are the Vega's though if they are on the list then the Mizuno TP 9 should be as they are clearly based on the iconic design on them.

Not the best pic but here they are
http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/Images/products/320/P1227738.jpg

Not the best pic either but the TP 11 pretty looking to

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/Images/products/320/P1132389.jpg

Also the Cobra Pro MB which I have and love and the new Adams MB which I'm trialling.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Yep, can't understand why the Mizuno TP range have been overlooked, some beauties in the like 9/18/19.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Funny how different words can mean completely different things. I half-expected this to be a thread about counterfeit clubs...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:04 pm

D4S good call on the TP 18's, a very underrated club that never gets much of a mention.

There was also a cracking set of bridgestone Rextar blades in the mid 90's but cannot find any pictures of them. Sweetest blades i've ever hit.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Skydriver wrote:Funny how different words can mean completely different things. I half-expected this to be a thread about counterfeit clubs...

i take it your a cavity man then- forged is a very common golf term

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 pm

MP33

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:41 pm

MP37

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Nice to see my MacGregor VIP V-foils listed up there! A very, very sweet feel as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:51 pm

How about Maruman Conductors 41CX? Older than the average bear, but just about the most beautiful head I have seen (barring Bella of course). Erm

Last edited by oldshanker on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thought I ought to include a model number)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I have a set of Macgregor VIP blades in my garage, have just given the 2 iron to one of our young potential pro's to try out.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:05 pm

oldshanker wrote:How about Maruman Conductors 41CX? Older than the average bear, but just about the most beautiful head I have seen (barring Bella of course). Erm

Shanks just seen some old photo's and they do look good mate. Check out the latest kit from them as there's a brilliant new Conductor series which has been around since 2007, but the latest release is great

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Try the new Ping Forged "Anser irons"

Fantastic feel

I have ordered the new Anser forged wedges to match

I think they will be arriving in the next 2 weeks - an early Xmas present
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Doc wrote:
oldshanker wrote:How about Maruman Conductors 41CX? Older than the average bear, but just about the most beautiful head I have seen (barring Bella of course). Erm

Shanks just seen some old photo's and they do look good mate. Check out the latest kit from them as there's a brilliant new Conductor series which has been around since 2007, but the latest release is great

I've just put the old set back into my bag. I've ordered the new grips, but even with 30 year old grips on them, I was hitting the ball rather well with them last night. Everything had a soft high draw. heart

Can't even consider justifying the cost of a new set, the ones that I've seen range from $3-6,000. A little bit eye watering for me.

Now if only I could find a putter that would stop my twitch!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 pm

oldshanker

Are these the ones you are talking about;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maruman-Conductor-41CX-Single-5-Iron-Graphite-Stiff-/140538109818?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item20b8b95f7a#ht_1509wt_1037

I have to say they look rather nice, although not sure about the graphite shafts on those examples. I mean really, graphite shafts on classic blades.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Those are the ones Mav - although they have missed the best view of them when looking down on the head at address. Drool And I agree about the graphite shaft, mine have a heavy duty vanadium steel shaft in regular flex. Supposed to give superior feel - don't know about that, I'm not good enough to assess it. However, I do know it gives a higher launch than I've been used to, which I like.

I've just sat here and stripped the old grips of my set in preparation for brand spanking new Lamkin tour series grips. Then I'll get out the groove sharpener and I'm ready to go.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Ive a set of 32s in v good condition if anyone out there is a good enough player to make use.Feels like a knife through butter when you get it right but sadly not that often at my level

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

dynamark wrote:Ive a set of 32s in v good condition if anyone out there is a good enough player to make use.Feels like a knife through butter when you get it right but sadly not that often at my level
Tempting but I think the wifey might want a word with me!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:17 am

Maverick wrote:D4S good call on the TP 18's, a very underrated club that never gets much of a mention.

There was also a cracking set of bridgestone Rextar blades in the mid 90's but cannot find any pictures of them. Sweetest blades i've ever hit.

Mav do you mean these rextars?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgestone-Rextar-MT-401-Iron-4-PW-Stiff-JAPAN-RARE-/320672247502?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4aa98e2ece

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 am

dynamark wrote:Ive a set of 32s in v good condition if anyone out there is a good enough player to make use.Feels like a knife through butter when you get it right but sadly not that often at my level

dyna -
i think mac might be interested - i picked up some mp32s a couple of months ago to give blades a go and he was thinking about doing the same himself.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:08 am

Tigerw12 wrote:
Maverick wrote:D4S good call on the TP 18's, a very underrated club that never gets much of a mention.

Mav do you mean these rextars?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bridgestone-Rextar-MT-401-Iron-4-PW-Stiff-JAPAN-RARE-/320672247502?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4aa98e2ece

Those be the ones, never felt anything better off the face than those

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to have a blade with NO writing on it at all, just the beauty of the clubhead, without the vulgarity of branding.
These Mizuno 32's come pretty close.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mizuno+32&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&biw=952&bih=608&tbm=isch&tbnid=RNasftahrc2SxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mygolfspy.com/best-golf-blade-iron-designs/&docid=HVgX2ZUCm0QFxM&imgurl=http://www.mygolfspy.com/wp-content/mizuno-m-32.jpg&w=600&h=450&ei=Hh69TrLDOtK7hAfJ0sz-Cw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=564&vpy=141&dur=7860&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=66&ty=66&sig=100195772177539789495&page=1&tbnh=121&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Having looked through that list of irons, there is quite a contrast. Some beauties on there but also quite a few sets that I wouldn't be seen with even on a very dark night!

Looks wise, I'd go for the MP14's I think heart

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 pm

s_r, a nice idea - i'm sure it will be tried at some point, pehaps when they start stamping the logo on to the clubface or hozzle instead.
i'm afraid my 32s have mizuno stamped behind the toe. still a nice club though.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:48 pm

My Snake Eyes are as close to minimal as I've seen in the graphics department.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=snake+eyes+675+mb+iron&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&biw=952&bih=608&tbm=isch&tbnid=8lwXAqcE_L-_5M:&imgrefurl=http://www.bladegolfirons.com/Reviews&docid=jF_ebhJwKTVodM&imgurl=http://www.bladegolfirons.com/images/Snake-Eyes-675B-Small.jpg&w=120&h=120&ei=oSe9Tp6yH86U8gOe1uy2BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=125&vpy=192&dur=2078&hovh=96&hovw=96&tx=102&ty=39&sig=100195772177539789495&page=1&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:51 pm

I know these are not forged but the Taylor Made Tour Preffered TD blades were some of the easiest I have ever hit.

http://www.clubfinders.com/ebay3/bh38311.jpg

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 pm

super_realist wrote:I know it will never happen, but I'd like to have a blade with NO writing on it at all, just the beauty of the clubhead, without the vulgarity of branding.

What would the poseurs do if that happened and how would you tell the difference between irons?
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/Saqra-INB-2018-Forged-Cavity-Back-4-PW
http://www.kzgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=588&page=65114&sid=3949

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:33 pm

K, obviously you'd need a discreet number on there to tell which was which, but a sleek and pretty bare blade would look awesome.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:51 pm

S_R
A blade may be all right but any form of cavity iron looks odd to me without any marking.
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/Geotech-Head-Only-2010-JF10-Forged-Prototype-Irons-4PW
I suspect I would be temted to apply Golfdotz.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I dunno K, there's a set of Bridgestone, J33 cavities which I think which are quite spartan and almost bereft of logo's. I think they look very nice indeed.
I think the more minimal they are, the more timeless they look and appear good over time. Some of the irons that are more garish or have "graphics of the moment" don't half look old and worn out after a few months.
Mizuno are quite good at understatement in their better players clubs, blade and cavity.

I may have struck on something here, perhaps a line of "Realist" blank irons in a shop near you soon!

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm

super_realist wrote:I dunno K, there's a set of Bridgestone, J33 cavities which I think which are quite spartan and almost bereft of logo's. I think they look very nice indeed.
I think the more minimal they are, the more timeless they look and appear good over time. Some of the irons that are more garish or have "graphics of the moment" don't half look old and worn out after a few months.
Mizuno are quite good at understatement in their better players clubs, blade and cavity.

I may have struck on something here, perhaps a line of "Realist" blank irons in a shop near you soon!

The new John Letters range of cavities also bare minimum markings. Infact if you didn't know they were the finished articles of a very decent looking set of irons you could be mistaken for thinking they hadn't finished designing them yet

I'd certainly have a set of those in my bag if I used cavities

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:12 pm

super_realist wrote:I know it will never happen, but I'd like to have a blade with NO writing on it at all, just the beauty of the clubhead, without the vulgarity of branding.
These Mizuno 32's come pretty close.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mizuno+32&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&biw=952&bih=608&tbm=isch&tbnid=RNasftahrc2SxM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mygolfspy.com/best-golf-blade-iron-designs/&docid=HVgX2ZUCm0QFxM&imgurl=http://www.mygolfspy.com/wp-content/mizuno-m-32.jpg&w=600&h=450&ei=Hh69TrLDOtK7hAfJ0sz-Cw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=564&vpy=141&dur=7860&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=66&ty=66&sig=100195772177539789495&page=1&tbnh=121&tbnw=161&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

Super have a look at the Geotech N-16 Blade. Very hard to get in the uk but they crop up on eBay every so often.

http://www.fujibuy.com/99/progolfjapan/images/28008_005218.jpg

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 pm

Very nice, that's exactly the idea I had in mind. Bet they cost a bomb though

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:43 pm

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/gear/searchresults/Irons/Orka-PS9-MB/
I picked up a second hand set of these this year on ebay for £160 in the summer - a total bargain... I still suck though.

http://www.orkagolf.co.uk/golf/product.php?productid=450
These are the newest ones, they make very nice looking blades.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigerw12 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 pm

super_realist wrote:Very nice, that's exactly the idea I had in mind. Bet they cost a bomb though

I think so mate! An eBay search brought this up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEOTECH-JAPAN-PROTOTYPE-N-16-FORGED-BLADE-IRONS-3-SW-KBS-TOUR-STIFF-MIURA-VEGA-/150696268606?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item231632933e#ht_500wt_922

Not bad for £499 considering you get a gap and sand wedge.

Tigerw12

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 pm

K@S wrote:

What would the poseurs do if that happened and how would you tell the difference between irons?
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/Saqra-INB-2018-Forged-Cavity-Back-4-PW
http://www.kzgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=588&page=65114&sid=3949

Have to say I do love the look of those ZO blades from KZG.

Also the PS9 from orka lovely clubs.

Those Geotechs actually to bland if possible,

Try these bad boys, best looking clubs imo from any ofthe OEM's

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/423209/Cobra_Pro_MB.html

Also should say I own a set and they are sublime

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I've always liked the look of those Cobras, Mav... very nice indeed.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Quite similar to a set of TM Rac MB's I used to have, back in the days when TM made nice clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 pm

I think the new TM forged are quite nice looking too, the 20p piece in the back of it may put some off though.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/415859/Taylor_Made_Tour_Preferred_MB.html

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Redrage wrote:I've always liked the look of those Cobras, Mav... very nice indeed.

They feel the dogs danglies to when you use them, recently been trialling these, because I liked the look

http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/idea_mb2.php

But as well as they perform and I would recommend them to anyone that plays serious golf, (in fact SR and I have been conversing about them quite a bit) I cannot say I am able to part with my CObra Pro-MB for any club on the market they are that good

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Also very nice!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 pm

RR:

They are very nice and thats why I thought why not try them, and they are great problem is a)they're designed to rust! b) At the moment I can't find anything better than I have for my game.

Just see these buy it now on eBay £499
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEOTECH-JAPAN-PROTOTYPE-N-16-FORGED-BLADE-IRONS-3-SW-KBS-TOUR-STIFF-MIURA-VEGA-/150696268606?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item231632933e

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Hmmmmmm rusting, even though they may perform superbly when rusty, it's like buying a Ferrari and letting it turn into a rust bucket. You want your sleek looking blades to look exactly that.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Redrage wrote:I think the new TM forged are quite nice looking too, the 20p piece in the back of it may put some off though.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/415859/Taylor_Made_Tour_Preferred_MB.html

My brother hasjust purchased these clubs, and have to say the odd looking weight in the back really looks weird.. Personally don't think they look all that either

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down