The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic's Bonus

3 posters

Go down

Djokovic's Bonus Empty Djokovic's Bonus

Post by hawkeye Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:46 pm

It appears that I am not alone in feeling a little uncomfortable with the size of the financial incentive on offer to Djokovic merely to turn up and play a few games in Paris.

This is what Neil Harman of The Times has to say-

"It also raised doubts about the fairness of a system that places anyone in such a moral pincer: whether to risk aggravating a
delicate injury for a sum of money that would allow him to fly in a private jet for a year.
If there are mandatory events on a tour — the top 30 players from the previous year are expected to play in all eight of the Masters or risk fines and suspensions — should there also be a bonus pool to be shared for being very good at these tournaments?"

Intersting that he also brought up the question of whether ranking points should be offered at the WTF-

"It is much like awarding ranking points to the eight who qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Should the prestige of acquiring a place in
such a bonanza not suffice, or would taking points away (there are 1,500 on offer, which places it only 500 short of winning a grand-slam tournament) seriously damage its prestige?"

If you want to read the full article you will have to PPV but I can recommend it...

Should Djokovic have been offered such a big incentive just to turn up?

Should the WTF offer ranking points? I have to admit I've not really thought about this until now.

Last edited by hawkeye on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Djokovic's Bonus Empty :doh:

Post by wow Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm

Do u work for times?

Has this topic not been covred already?

wow

Back to top Go down

Djokovic's Bonus Empty Re: Djokovic's Bonus

Post by wow Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:09 pm

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

wow

time please quoted an article pointing out how much Djokovic stood to lose by not playing.

This is more about whether the ATP should offer such a huge bonus in the first place. What do you think? What do you think about the ranking points on offer at the WTF?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

Erm right I got you. Well to your question I really do not have much clue as how this prize monies are decided upon. If ATP can afford to pay then why not?
But like I said, I probably not the best person to answer this however if I was Djoker and I was getting benefitted immensely then I to would have played 1 0r 2 matches in paris Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 09 Nov 2011, 11:28 pm

I presume this is article today hawkeye? Too sleepy to read now, but shall try tomorrow.

Just one thought tonight - Harman pondering whether ranking points should be awarded at WTF - why? Is it because it is such a select few that are able to compete for the points on offer? - not everyone qualifies for Masters events or slams either, so a player ranked just two places below one who makes qualification by the skin of their teeth to a major has an advantage of immediately snaffling a few more ranking points going out in the first round than his peer in the next challenger tournament.

There are a lot of ranking points on offer,which I think is right for this kind of championship between the best of the year, but it is only an undefeated champion who will be awarded 1,500 points - I think that is quite a feat to win 5 matches in a row against top 8 players - the passage is sometimes more difficult than a draw at a slam. Participation is something that has been earned - the right to compete at a year end championship with the other 7 best players in the season - it would devalue the championship if ranking points were not a part of the prize imo.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down