The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career?

+9
legendkillar
mystiroakey
sportform
JohnnyH
steveo1986
ReallyReal
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
boomdangle
Luke
13 posters

Go down

How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career? Empty How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 pm

Our David is coming up to the end of his L.A Galaxy contract and is soon to be negotiating with other clubs as it appears he'll be leaving the Galaxy after four pretty modest years in the states. Where he'll end up is anyone's guess but it looks as if PSG are the front runners if what we hear and read within the media is to be believed.

I can see Beckham playing for at least another three years because of a) his passion for the game and b) his relentless earning potential......make of that what you will!

I have to say I've always been a fan of Beckham the person. He's always handled himself impeccably off the field and bar the Rebecca Loos "affair" there's not been any blotches of note. I can't even remember a single report of Becks being drunk or abusive..a pretty rare feat for an established England international!

So how highly do you rate his career from a sporting perspective?

117 England caps is impressive. That's more than double Paul Gascoigne earned. If you was to pick an England dream squad would you place Becks ahead of Gazza? I don't think I would. He probably wouldn't make the best 8 midfielders to have played for England but that's just my opinion.

He won everything there was worth winning at Man Utd but he was blessed to be part of an outstanding midfield unit which consisted of the likes of Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt. I'd place him behind Keane, Giggs and Scholes on that list in terms of importance and impact. But that was some midfield.

Undoubtedly he was an outstanding crosser of a football - possibly one of the best ever - and is still pretty sharp in that area now. whilst not blessed with great pace he had a fantastic engine and his attitude was first class.

Sadly he'll probably be remembered more as being a commodity than a great footballer which in fairness he probably wasn't but having said that his footballing feats deserve to be remembered with fondness. A good team player and a useful addition to any football team yes but absolute top tier? No not quite.

David Beckham gets a B+ from me.

What do you guys think?

Cheers guys.

Last edited by FreekShow on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career? Empty Re: How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career?

Post by Luke Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 am

As a person i don't think you can do anything but respect him. He always comes across as a decent, respectable passionate bloke.

As a player i always thought he was overated. Good at crossing & free kicks, but at most other aspects fair to good, no where near the world class that seemed to follow him round, a decent player who did very well dispite his limitations.

The one thing i have always wondered about him, is if he hadn't of married Victoria and got involved in the whole brand Beckham thing, what his career and life would have been like? Would he have been seen as a global icon, in most newspapers magazines etc. Or just viewed as a goodish footballer.

Unfortunatly for him, when he retires i don't think people will remember him as the footballer, just as global icon.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career? Empty Re: How highly do you rate David Beckham's FOOTBALL career?

Post by boomdangle Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:00 am

Goal against Greece, all that matters.

boomdangle

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:14 am

I think his position as a global superstar can only have credibility if validated by being a brilliant football player - and that he is.

There is no player in the Premier League today who can cross as well as he still can, and surely that is the primary goal of the winger. You can have all the pace in the world, like Lennon and Walcott have, but not offer anything at the end of it. So their product and contribution to the team is essentially zero.

What you need is a good relationship with your full back, that allows you time and space to get a cross in - and that's what Beckham, particularly when paired with Neville offered. Even in his latter performances for Capello's England - he was changing games with his appearance, and actually providing some end-product.

And anyone who questions Beckham's ability as an all round midfielder, beyond just a crosser and free kick taker, should go back and watch that game against Greece - and forget about the goal. When they went 2-1 down every man on that pitch had given up - but one. His performance was absolutely sensational, the best performance I've ever seen from a football player. He made every tackle and every pass - and seemed to cover every blade of grass as his team-mates heads dropped.

David Beckham has always been my favourite footballer. And I'm Welsh, and don't support United - so have no bias towards him. Brilliant captain. Brilliant player. Brilliant ambassasor for English football.

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by ReallyReal Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Maybe those who praise him so much should also rewatch his other England performances instead of just using the word 'Greece' to highlight his career.

Beckham was a good footballer, a very good freekick taker and an excellent crosser, he failed to put tackles in where it mattered though, like Ronaldinho in the world cup and regularly gave up any attempt to track back and that's without even mentioning how he also cost our best team for decades when he acted like a child and kicked out.

Yes he was a good player, even very good at times, but he was nowhere near as good a player as a lot of people may claim, he certainly was never amongst the worlds best and he gained at least 40 of his caps because either England had no options, or the manager was told we needed the media exposure.

Simply as a footballer, I agree with the 'B+' grade, as a marketing tool he's at least an 'A*'

ReallyReal

Back to top Go down

Post by steveo1986 Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:51 pm

He was a very talented footballer who won all his medals because of the hard work and dedication he put into it in his life, he deserves the acknowledgment of that at least. He is a very good role model to people who aren't blessed with huge amounts of natural talent, he proves that hard work and application can get you what you really want in any walk of life.

steveo1986

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 pm

I have to be honest here, I think Beckham should be applauded for not only having a GREAT career, but for also being a truly wonderful role model for the kids of today.
Im an old git, and when Becks got sent off in 1998 against Argentina, I will admit that I thought, and suggested, that he should never play for England again! I thought his behaviour that day was appalling, and showed a complete lack of maturity, which I believed showed that he was not good enough to be an England international. My God, how he proved me wrong!!!

He has since gone on to become a wonderful England player, and a really nice guy to boot, and with modern footballers, that really is an achievement!

I dont like the Spice Girls either, but Mr and Mrs B deserve a lot of credit for being two pretty decent people who have never shown themselves up in public, they have a great family, and I wish them all the best in whatever they do.

Back to a footballing note, if HALF of our recent Internationals showed as much passion as Beckham, we wouldnt be the shambles that we currently are!

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 pm

ReallyReal wrote:he failed to put tackles in where it mattered though, like Ronaldinho in the world cup

He didn't fail to put a tackle in on Ronaldihno. If you actually watch it again without prejudice you would realize that, the ball was touch line and, he thought the ball was going out for a throw in.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 pm

great guy- simple as that- loves the sport , loves his country, he is loyal. people that have a pop are bitter people in fairness- the guy maxed his potential- anyone that does that in my books is a winner- just because his accent can sound abit dim and is good looking shouldnt go against him.

in terms of was he good- yeah good footballer one of the best at his peak- and not only that he was the best at certain things. Why did he leave united- why does eveyone leave united at a certain age- they either quit international football or they leave- anyone ever worked that one out?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:great guy- simple as that- loves the sport , loves his country, he is loyal. people that have a pop are bitter people in fairness- the guy maxed his potential- anyone that does that in my books is a winner- just because his accent can sound abit dim and is good looking shouldnt go against him.

in terms of was he good- yeah good footballer one of the best at his peak- and not only that he was the best at certain things. Why did he leave united- why does eveyone leave united at a certain age- they either quit international football or they leave- anyone ever worked that one out?

His relationship with Ferguson became untenable during the end of his Old Trafford career hence him leaving. Fergie wins any stand off regardless of who the player is. He recently admitted that it took a few meetings between himself and Fergie before the smoke finally blew over.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:02 am

I would give Beckham an A

Why?

How many players with greater abilities have achieved more? Gascoigne? Nope. Gerrard? Nope. Lampard? Nope. Bergkamp? Nope. Zola? Nope. Shearer? Nope.

You get the picture.

He achieved a lot on the pitch. One thing that goes un-noticed is his team ethos. Putting the team before himself on the pitch. When Fergie left him out of the side did him complain or demand a transfer? Nope.

He must be a dream of player to have in your squad. The passion, the drive, the determination. Yorke, Cole, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo they will tell you that their is no-one better in whipping in those crosses for a head or toe to be on the end of.

I have to admit when he went to LA at the age 31 I felt his career was done. Not the best decision. Gave up the captaincy of the country and lost his place in the squad, Lost his place in the Real Madrid side, yet fought his way back into reckoning and was part of the surge to the title and it wasn't long before he was back in the England reckoning. How many players would have thrown in the towel and stuck 2 fingers up at Capello, McClaren and the players in the both squads at the time?

There is much more to being a player than the individual ablility they possess. I think he is worthy of an A.

6 Premier League Titles
2 F.A Cups
4 Community Shields
1 World Club Title
1 Champions League
1 La Liga Title
1 Super Cup

115 England caps

Not many players will achieve anything like that.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:17 am

legendkillar wrote:I would give Beckham an A

Why?

How many players with greater abilities have achieved more? Gascoigne? Nope. Gerrard? Nope. Lampard? Nope. Bergkamp? Nope. Zola? Nope. Shearer? Nope.

You get the picture.

He achieved a lot on the pitch. One thing that goes un-noticed is his team ethos. Putting the team before himself on the pitch. When Fergie left him out of the side did him complain or demand a transfer? Nope.

He must be a dream of player to have in your squad. The passion, the drive, the determination. Yorke, Cole, Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo they will tell you that their is no-one better in whipping in those crosses for a head or toe to be on the end of.

I have to admit when he went to LA at the age 31 I felt his career was done. Not the best decision. Gave up the captaincy of the country and lost his place in the squad, Lost his place in the Real Madrid side, yet fought his way back into reckoning and was part of the surge to the title and it wasn't long before he was back in the England reckoning. How many players would have thrown in the towel and stuck 2 fingers up at Capello, McClaren and the players in the both squads at the time?

There is much more to being a player than the individual ablility they possess. I think he is worthy of an A.

6 Premier League Titles
2 F.A Cups
4 Community Shields
1 World Club Title
1 Champions League
1 La Liga Title
1 Super Cup

115 England caps

I'd give Nicky Butt an A as well on that assessment then. Within six months of him losing his first team spot he left for Real Madrid. I wouldn't use the England national team as a benchmark for greatness either.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:33 am

So where did I say he was great?

And it was mutual move agreed by both parties with Fergie being the willing seller.

Prat!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 am

legendkillar wrote:So where did I say he was great?

And it was mutual move agreed by both parties with Fergie being the willing seller.

Prat!
You gave him an A. Beckham was sold for a paltry 25 million at a time when he was, by far, the most marketable footballer (even sportsman perhaps) in the world. Real Madrid recouped that within six months of his signature. Fergie wanted him out of the club ASAP hence the relatively small price tag.

It may have been mutual...it may have been coincidental. Who will ever know?

And calling somebody a prat makes you a berk!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am

So now because he went for 25M it doesn't make him an A?

Good lord!!!

And your not a prat?

Since when did price tags determine a players quality?

Remember Veron?

Must be an A+

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:11 am

legendkillar wrote:So now because he went for 25M it doesn't make him an A?

Good lord!!!

And your not a prat?

Remember Veron?

Must be an A+

Is that a serious question?

Of course price tags represent a players quality.

Veron was a bad buy. It happens.

Berk!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:23 am

Is that a serious answer?????

Ronaldo must he the greatest player ever!!

Prat!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:27 am

Leg, do you wan't a cuddle? I quite like Berks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 am

legendkillar wrote:Is that a serious answer?????

Ronaldo must he the greatest player ever!!

Prat!

Inflation..it's a mo fo!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 am

Aww Freek. I like 12 year olds that play FIFA and think they know football.

Let me educate you

You create a thread asking to rate Beckhams football career.

So when one does, you bring up price tags

Sounds like someone is playing a bit too much championship manager.

Now if a guy with no pace and can't tackle or head the ball comes along and wins trophies, chips in with goals and assists, must have something good in the locker.

Now I am not down with the kids of today, but as Jessie J said "it's not about the money money money"

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:09 am

legendkillar wrote:Aww Freek. I like 12 year olds that play FIFA and think they know football.

Let me educate you

You create a thread asking to rate Beckhams football career.

So when one does, you bring up price tags

Sounds like someone is playing a bit too much championship manager.

Now if a guy with no pace and can't tackle or head the ball comes along and wins trophies, chips in with goals and assists, must have something good in the locker.

Now I am not down with the kids of today, but as Jessie J said "it's not about the money money money"

No I create a thread and you respond. I respond to your response and you call me a prat. I am all for differing opinions which is the whole purpose of a site like this. If you feel it upon yourself to call me a prat then that's your right I suppose. Who is Jessie J?..does she wanna make the dance?

By the way the last time I played Championship manager my poo was yellow and my team was Oxford Utd. The good old days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:12 am

With all that said I want to agree with your logic that Nicky Butt was one hell of a player.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:23 am

FreekShow wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:great guy- simple as that- loves the sport , loves his country, he is loyal. people that have a pop are bitter people in fairness- the guy maxed his potential- anyone that does that in my books is a winner- just because his accent can sound abit dim and is good looking shouldnt go against him.

His relationship with Ferguson became untenable during the end of his Old Trafford career hence him leaving. Fergie wins any stand off regardless of who the player is. He recently admitted that it took a few meetings between himself and Fergie before the smoke finally blew over.

i know all that - just digging into the reason behind certain stories. How many older man u players declare quiting international football? Pretty much everyone or they leave. Beckham would never quit international football, he loved/loves england to much- therefore i could never see a future as an older man u player.

And although i agree fergie used to win every stand off. He didnt with rooney- getting on perhaps?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:13 am

So you ask about how I rate him from a sporting perspective and I did and you mention transfer fees and shirt sales which has nothing to do with what he done on the pitch.'

Genius

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:19 am

Bitchy in here, quite a few bitchy comment yet no Mod/Admin turns with the red font of doom.

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:35 pm

User Name wrote:Bitchy in here, quite a few bitchy comment yet no Mod/Admin turns with the red font of doom.

Well it's bound to get niggly when an idiot half way through his first pint decides to label another poster a prat because he disagrees with his opinion!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Well if you disagreed constructively and not acted a prat by contradicting your own thread, you might not be such a prat. Each to their own.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:03 pm

legendkillar wrote:Well if you disagreed constructively and not acted a prat by contradicting your own thread, you might not be such a prat. Each to their own.

Big man. Well done.

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Well done for being accepting of peoples opinion

Jerk!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

FreekShow wrote:

That question in itself bares no relation to 'transfer fees'

This is a guy who has played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan. 3 top clubs in European football.

If it was marks out of 10 he would get an 8 from me.

Away from all the 'Brand Beckham' crap, he is a top professional. The fact he is still wanted by clubs in the Premier League and Europe shows that there is life in him, even if it is 6 months. If I was a manager, it would be what 'experience' he could being to younger players in my squad.

I admit the LA Galaxy move hasn't worked out, but that is the only blemish on his football CV.

Nicky Butt would get a 7/10 because when he left United he went downwards.

Scholes/Neville would be A+ 10/10

Giggs, well there isn't a grade high enough for him!

So you see Beckham isn't on 'pedestal' due to my grading there are players miles ahead of him.

Beckham has had a remarkable career from a 'sporting' perspective.

Not sure I would say the same from an 'un-sporting' perspective.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:47 pm

He had a very good career (in England.)

In Spain he was less effective because the ball was always played on the ground, so teams kept the ball longer.

He was a luxury player rather than a great one, which is positive and negative, i guess.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 am

legendkillar wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

This is a guy who has played for Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan. 3 top clubs in European football.

Away from all the 'Brand Beckham' crap, he is a top professional. The fact he is still wanted by clubs in the Premier League and Europe shows that there is life in him, even if it is 6 months. If I was a manager, it would be what 'experience' he could being to younger players in my squad.

I admit the LA Galaxy move hasn't worked out, but that is the only blemish on his football CV.

So you see Beckham isn't on 'pedestal' due to my grading there are players miles ahead of him.

You gave him an A 24 hours ago. What's changed? Now he's an 8 out of 10.

Last edited by FreekShow on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:44 am

legendkillar wrote:I would give Beckham an A

Why?

You get the picture.

6 Premier League Titles
2 F.A Cups
4 Community Shields
1 World Club Title
1 Champions League
1 La Liga Title
1 Super Cup

115 England caps

A = 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 am

sportsville wrote:
ReallyReal wrote:he failed to put tackles in where it mattered though, like Ronaldinho in the world cup

He didn't fail to put a tackle in on Ronaldihno. If you actually watch it again without prejudice you would realize that, the ball was touch line and, he thought the ball was going out for a throw in.

Wasn't it Rivaldo?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

FreekShow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

how do you give scholes and nevile 10/10's and beckham an 8. not a chance for me- scholes quit international football so straight away -2. He also did a tevez at united and didnt play when he was pushed out of position.

giggs on the other hand id give a 9/10
scholes 8/10(good but never ventured out, ended up being a squad player and turned his back on england to stay at united)
becks 8.5/10- palyed at a high level in many teams- allways motivated and acheived a spainish title as well as many prem ones

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:03 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
FreekShow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

how do you give scholes and nevile 10/10's and beckham an 8. not a chance for me- scholes quit international football so straight away -2. He also did a tevez at united and didnt play when he was pushed out of position.

giggs on the other hand id give a 9/10
scholes 8/10(good but never ventured out, ended up being a squad player and turned his back on england to stay at united)
becks 8.5/10- palyed at a high level in many teams- allways motivated and acheived a spainish title as well as many prem ones

Giggs 9/10???

No comment.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Guys, there's a fair number of you on this thread that I know fairly well now on the board (or know of) and I thought better of you all to have descended to this petty namecalling.
Shame, was an interesting topic too imo.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down