The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ??

+4
Jukebox Timebomb
88Chris05
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
8 posters

Go down

When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ?? Empty When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:09 pm

Interesting to see the take on the Marquez fight...some people have Marquez by slim margins and others have a robbery!!!

Everyone has a different opinion on when a contentious decision becomes a robbery.....but what ball park are we..(8-4) 116-112 is that one????

Obviously Whittaker-Ramirez is classed as a stone dead robbery!!

But what in your opinion takes a fight from a contentious decision to downright robbery!!

I'd be interested to know.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ?? Empty Re: When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ??

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:14 pm

I'd say anything that is obviously wider than 3 rounds or so to everyone watching it. It is a tough one, really, as it all comes down to individual preference and opinion when calling a fight.

Whitaker Ramirez - certainly. It's difficult to call something like the JMM Pac fight a robbery when some people score rounds so differently depending on workrate, aggression, punches landed etc...it can be a real lottery, which is a shame.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ?? Empty Re: When does a decision leave "Contentious" and go to downright "Robbery" ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:23 pm

It's interesting isn't it...Miost people had Larry by three against Spinks and that was considered a robbery...

Maybe because the rounds Holmes won were clear...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:38 pm

I'd say when the general consensus is that fighter A won by four or more rounds but fighter B gets the nod, we've well and truly entered 'robbery' territory. But as Fists has said, it's a subjective thing.

For instance, we regularly see De la Hoya-Trinidad, Lewis-Holyfield I and Hopkins-Taylor classed as robberies - I couldn't disagree more. Contentious, close and highly debatable, but not robberies. In those cases (particularly Lewis-Holyfield) the decisions are often incorrect, but not to a point where it's totally impossible to see how that decision was reached. In recent years, Gorres-Darchinyan, Macklin-Sturm and Toney-Griffin II would be decent examples of that.

But I genuinely believe that saturday night's fight does qualify for robbery status (again, I'll stress that it's a subjective thing).
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:40 pm

Subjective for sure but maybe the criteria changes the more we want a fighter to win!!!

Maybe If I had Curry winning by two and he lost ..it would be different from fighter A winning by three and losing!!!

interesting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

A 'robbery' suggests foul play rather than just poor judging. Marquez 1 & 2 could be considered contentious decisions from a Marquez fans point of view, this weekends consitutes a robbery IMO.

Last edited by Jukebox Timebomb on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by vxrandall Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

i think if you're talking about consensus opinion extending no further than 7-5 to 5-7 (a 2 round swing) then you could probably say its a contentious decision but many had this down as 8-4 marquez whereas trowbridge had it 4-8 ....a 4 round swing....add to that the fact that there was no parity across the judges either....how one can see a draw and another can see a 4 round margin begs further questions....esp when the 8-4 to pacquiao scorer scores one of pacs strongest rounds to marquez!

vxrandall

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

Yes you're right I think he needs suspending on that issue alone....

Looks like he wanted Paccy to win then saw the margin and thought oops I'll not get away with 117-111..

His card stunk for sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by vxrandall Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

he probably had his mind on other things...like how many free rides he was getting on the tecate girls courtesy of kind Uncle Bob!

vxrandall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

As Jukebox says, you can tolerate a fighter you think has won losing on the cards if it's close because judging is subjective - but when the cards suggest blatant foul play we cry robbery. Froch Kessler for example - no doubt in my mind Kessler won by 2 points, but when the 117-111 card was read you have to wonder what's going on. Same as the 117-111 card in Clev v Bellew, or the ridiculous scoring in McDermott Fury 1 that robbed Big Mac blind. Manny JMM III is another example of it - 114-113 to manny and you might say poor judging, 116-112 to manny and it's clear someone has been nobbled. No doubt for me the fix was in on this one, Manny cannot lose as a TR home fighter/cash cow unless he is KO'd, which is unlikely as he has a fine chin. Boxing seems to disgust me more and more these days, this year has been bad.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

What about Taylor-Chavez 1 Sweetie...........

Two shutouts for Taylor and the mexican judge had Chavez ahead...going into the 12th..

what happens to these guys??????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 14 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What about Taylor-Chavez 1 Sweetie...........

Two shutouts for Taylor and the mexican judge had Chavez ahead...going into the 12th..

what happens to these guys??????

Shouldnt have had a Mexican judge in the first place. Lucky for him Steele stole his thunder in the controversy stakes.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

Steele was the back up...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:16 pm

Contentious decisions split opinion- fights like Hagler v Leonard or Groves Degale- for every person that agreed with the decision you can find one who didn't. Robbery is when the vast majority disagree with it- so Pac v Marquez 111 falls into robbery. For me whether the fight is close or not is not really relevant. Take the Ali v Norton trilogy- all very close, but the first two were contentious as equal numbers of fans had each winning, the third was robbery- almost everyone had it for Norton.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:18 pm

A pretty good analysis horizontal....I suppose the problem is deciding when 69% becomes the 70% needed for robbery though hey!!

but I do think you've basically hit the nail on the head..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 16 Nov 2011, 7:42 pm

When there aren't enough rounds that they had at least a shout at being given to win it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

So if they had a shout at six out of the twelve it's a robbery????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down